Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Ministry

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Not trying to be contrarian, but coming from a family of drunks, I can assure you there's lot of room in the pisshead spectrum for variation & a lot of them certainly do.

Also my last lodger never went out but would sit in his room each night and cane 6 tins of beer or a bottle of red wine. Going out and drinking is just too expensive if you're doing it every day, and not every drunk has to drink until there's no money in his account or nothing left in the house, many drink just enough to get the monkey off their back for the evening.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Ministry

His albums haven't been selling at all. His label is bleeding money. His current direction is far from lucrative. Only reason I think he brought ministry back this time was to pay off his doctor bills. I don't think he's rolling in the cash flow as much as some want to believe.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Ministry

Boggles the mind that he wouldn't have insurance. But then again... What insurance company would cover him...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    Either that or he pulls out some old synths. And says he's going back to his roots.

Because that certainly wasn't him with those chops.
    He said he was doing a solo album, but I haven't heard much about in a couple of years. But he described it as "Pop stuff, like that first album that I fucking hate, but it's pop that I want to do." He did release an EP called Alien Christmas. The music was good, but unfortunately he didn't use his natural singing voice. It's a shame, because the guy can sing. He is also more musically capable than what he's made himself out to be these past 13 years. Al is a cool guy, but he is a poseur. He never was a new romantic, an industrialist and he certainly isn't a butt rock hillbilly. One thing I've always admired about Trent is how much class he has.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Al sings normally on some bridge school benefit thing, and sounded really good (edit - it's on a previous page, derp)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    Boggles the mind that he wouldn't have insurance. But then again... What insurance company would cover him...
    Still gotta pay a deductible.

And Al is indeed a very capable musician. What amazes me the most, is how he insists on using that cheap sounding drum machine instead of investing into an actual drummer. He can obviously play the guitar well enough that he didn't really need the other guys. But instead he got guys to play everything for him. That's puzzling.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Bought chris connelly's book on a recommendation from here - excellent book & very funny. Have more or less no more questions about that period!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I heard a rumored that a new Ministry album in the works a couple weeks back. Anybody heard anything more about this? IMO if its going to be anything like Relapse, then Al shouldnt even bother. I doubt it though, since his records seem to come in 3s from a musical standpoint. (WS, 12" and Twitch being the classic era. Lorah, Mind and Psalm the Industrial era. Filth Pig, Dsots and Ani the Barker era. and of course we all know about the Bush trilogy...)

On a more positive note Animositisomina turned 10 recently, so i decided to give it a few listen Wow! thats all i can say! There is some seriosuly good stuff on here. Broken, Impossible and Leper stand out as my favorites, and i love Stolen too(any of Barkers solo tracks are great). People give this album alot of flak for having a "tinny" sounding mix, but it doesnt take the human ear more than a couple minutes to adjust to the way something "sounds," and once that happens, i think the mix adds to the discomfort\confrontational atmosphere of the record. Overall, its a great closer to the "Barker" trilogy, and in my eyes, the final "true" Ministry record.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    animositysomina was a fantastic record. with some great tracks on it for sure. Not sure why records like Mole get more love than Animostiy does.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    animositysomina was a fantastic record. with some great tracks on it for sure. Not sure why records like Mole get more love than Animostiy does.
    Namely because it was released at a bad, awkward time between transitions of styles and eras.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Last great ministry album. It was post-narcotics and pre-alcohism Al. Follows where Spoon left off, less chaos.

And there will probably be another ministry album. From what I gather, Scaccia contributed some before he died. Possibly his last recordings.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    Agreed.

Haven't listened to Ministry in years but that album is really good, it's before they got all "studio metal" sounding.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

come on al, the puns were old back when dark side came out
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 02-27-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    New stuff. Dub?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    lolz, the posts were within a minute of eachother, awesome

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Hah! It happens.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Ministry

Vids are private. What are they?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Recording sessions for the new album: From Beer to Eternity (no joke). Al and Mikey, mostly. They played a dub song (fake steel drums of course). Then gloated about The Rolling Stones.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Ministry

Ugh

That sounds wonderful....

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Good lord....

So how do we watch these videos? I take it you have to be a member or something?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Weird, I thought with Scaccia dying he would actually pack it in once and for all

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The youtube Beer to Eternity vids are un-privatized.

and....

http://www.amazon.com/Ministry-Lost-...0/ref=rec_dp_2
    (al's memoir/autobio has a release date. im sure ill be picking this one up, but i have a suspicion that hes gonna gloss over the 80s tho...)
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 03-10-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I hope he doesn't. I'm always curious as to what other thoughts he might have on his pre-The Land of Rape and Honey works along with what other experiences he might've had back then. I'm even pleasantly surprised that he's bothered to even write a book.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I bet that autobiography touches briefly on anything pre-2003 and mainly focuses on his "recent" struggles from about 2006-2012. Alcoholism abound.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Agreeded, post Paul era.

Havent been a fan of anything since Houses to be honest. When I was younger, I was all about the LORAH/Mind/Psalm block, industrial all the way. But the last couple years, ive been real into basically anything Land and older. Once I found some of the boots from 1982, it was like rediscovering Ministry all over again.

Man, what I wouldnt give to have Al do a proper "retrospective" tour. Play some of the stuff from the WaxTrax era and freakin' Over the Shoulder. Now its just 60 minutes of thrash karaoke, with 4 "classics" tacked on at the end.

edit: i forgot to include this, courtsey of darkcircleroom folks...
    REVOLTING COCKS live! You Goddamn Son of a Bitch , Restored!
    Ive said this before, but back in the day, Ministry and Revco were basically the same band. With the exception of Chris Connely and various occasional guests.

Sorry to drift off there, but ill probably check out the book regardless. Ive avoided Fix because, as I hear time and time again, "if you want to retain any respect for Al, then dont watch it."
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 03-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Seems to me that Connelly was just as much a part of Ministry as he was REVCO back then... So I would say theyre the same band with the exception of some occasional guests.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Ok, i stand corrected! Ministry + Guests = REVCO

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    regarding that video. its pathetic to see him drinking beer at this point. the man has a death wish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like the new Ministry album is coming out sooner rather than later, as the marketing campaign is beginning to start which suggests its complete.

I still haven't listened to Relapse yet.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthebear View Post
    Looks like the new Ministry album is coming out sooner rather than later, as the marketing campaign is beginning to start which suggests its complete.

I still haven't listened to Relapse yet.
    Don't bother, it's mostly shit.