Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones - Spoilers

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    One question though, how long do we have to wait until Daenerys needs to find boats for her 8,000 troops?
    Spoiler: a long time

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Spoiler: a long time
    Spoiler: We talking end of this season? Many seasons?

How she was going to acquire so many boats for so many troops was one of my first thoughts.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I don't want to ruin anything for you, I'll just say there's still a ton left in her story. One of the greatest things about this series is never knowing what the hell is going to happen. I know what's going to happen in the show from the books but it's still awesome to see it unfolding and it's not always the same. Actually I'm surprised by a couple things this season that they actually did from the books, things I thought maybe they'd bitch out on.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

How she was going to acquire so many boats for so many troops was one of my first thoughts.
    Gonna need a shitload of food for those guys was what I first thought.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by profane View Post
    Gonna need a shitload of food for those guys was what I first thought.
    That was my fiancé's question!

And thanks KDR, that's probably a good thing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Spoiler: Many to infinite seasons.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So I went to the bookstore today to buy the second book of the series. And while I skimmed through the books I accidently read the first sentence of the back of the fourth book, you know, the short text that describes the setup, and I spoiled myself pretty badly. It was just the first sentence but that sentence starts with "Tyrion...." This might change my book reading/series watching strategy. Maybe I'll read the third book as well, probably between the third and fourth season, and then see if my TV watching experience changes if I read the book first. Anyway, it's really hard to avoid getting spoiled with Game Of Thrones. I mean, there are even gif's in this thread that foreshadow what's going to happen. You can't read the comments section on professional reviews of the recent episodes because they tell so much, that is, they sort of imply certain things and you can infer from that.
    Also, Fuck you, bookstore!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Game of Thrones

That blows it spoiled it for you. I didn't like that I had read the book before season 2 for some reason but I'm loving already knowing what's going to happen this season.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Loras Tyrell, you dirty girl.

I died at Cersei's demonic glee during the last scene. Well, until Tywin spoke up.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tywin, you fucking asshole.

The bath scene between Jaime and Brienne was the absolute best!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    OH OH OH.

I wasn't happy with the editing this episode - WAY too choppy, especially towards the end. But other than that, I loved it. Especially the Arya/Gendry scene. ALL THE FEELS!
    Last edited by Baphomette; 04-28-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    My internet died for the whole of the bath scene

I was so happy the "squire" got full-frontal!
    Last edited by slave2thewage; 04-28-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Game of Thrones

Words cannot explain how much I am loving this season. The bath scene was amazing. Carsei being all smug and then getting bitch slapped by Tywin was great. Also, Grey Worm!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    was I the only one who thought the scene with Stannis and his wife was a little silly? It didn't help that the set with the babies in florescent green tubes looked like something that fell out of Mortal Kombat.

Overall I liked the episode, but it's hard to follow last week's.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Stannis Baratheon might be the saddest man I've ever read about. Also, Brienne/Jamie is the world's most passive-aggressive romance. The marriage arrangements took me by surprise... I knew there was going to be some infamous marriage in this season, but if it's this one... well, that's definitely worth the waiting.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So i am a book junkie. How highly do you guys recommend this "game of thrones?"I've read everything Stephen King has ever written, everything anne rice has ever written, and everything John Steinbeck has ever written. those are my "big three." I read the hunger games series and really loved it. Some of my other favorites are A Clockwork Orange, The Invisible Man, Cry the Beloved Country, Things Fall Apart, The Loop (by nicholas evans...)I read all KINDS of shit, and i need something new.

Edit: sorry y'all, i just realized this wasn't the book thread...but some of you are reading the books, right?
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-29-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Game of Thrones

Ha yeah the books are awesome. Lots of characters to remember and story lines to follow though, it can get a bit confusing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, I highly recommend the book series! Get into them!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Okay, i ordered the first Game of Thrones book today.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Okay, i ordered the first Game of Thrones book today.
    the books are good, but they take a severe dive with book 4 and 5 when he splits the narrative between regions. Apparently the next book is going to eschew that approach, so that's at least encouraging. This guy needs to hurry up though. If he keeps at this rate the tv show is going to move beyond the books. And then what's going to happen...

It took him 5 years to come out with book 4, and at the end of it he promised that book 5 would be out "next year." 5 years later, book 5 comes out.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    the books are good, but they take a severe dive with book 4 and 5 when he splits the narrative between regions. Apparently the next book is going to eschew that approach, so that's at least encouraging. This guy needs to hurry up though. If he keeps at this rate the tv show is going to move beyond the books. And then what's going to happen...

It took him 5 years to come out with book 4, and at the end of it he promised that book 5 would be out "next year." 5 years later, book 5 comes out.
    I agree that Feast wasn't that great but I love Dance with Dragons. But yeah, he really needs to pick up the pace. Going to be pretty awkward for him if they can make a ton of TV seasons before he can finish the last 2 books.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    sounds like Stephen King with the dark tower...making people wait for five and ten years for the story to continue. I wonder how many people died waiting to read those books?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    sounds like Stephen King with the dark tower...making people wait for five and ten years for the story to continue. I wonder how many people died waiting to read those books?
    I remember hearing a story that an elderly woman wrote to Stephen King and asked him to finish that series before she died.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Martin's intending to divulge the major plot details to the show's producers if/when the series catches up with the books. It's pretty likely there will be a sixth book in the interim, which will just leave the final book to be developed in parallel.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    At least, the TV show puts enough pressure on Martin to finish the series within a couple of years (let's see, 2nd half of 3rd book is the 4th season in 2014, 4th book is 2015, 5th in 2016, 6th in 2017, 7th in 2018 though I guess that one or two of the latter books will also be split in two). So by 2020 it should be done and George R.R. Martin should still be alive by then. I dread a repeat of the Dune series, with Frank Herbert dying before finishing the last book and his son and that terrible co-author raping the legacy since then.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    At least, the TV show puts enough pressure on Martin to finish the series within a couple of years (let's see, 2nd half of 3rd book is the 4th season in 2014, 4th book is 2015, 5th in 2016, 6th in 2017, 7th in 2018 though I guess that one or two of the latter books will also be split in two). So by 2020 it should be done and George R.R. Martin should still be alive by then. I dread a repeat of the Dune series, with Frank Herbert dying before finishing the last book and his son and that terrible co-author raping the legacy since then.
    maybe?

It'll be nice to have books four and five smashed together and told chronologically though. Martin's been saying that book 6 is going to be 1500 pages long though, so maybe they'll have to split that into a couple seasons as well. It's kind of a drag though, and it's the main reason I have a hard time convincing myself to read these sort of long episodic stories. I didn't pick up The Dark Tower until King finished it. It's also the main reason I stopped reading The Wheel of Time after book 1. I saw that there were about ten other books in the series (at the time), each of them a very long read, and that the author had no concrete plans to stop anytime soon and wrap the story up. I just looked at that and said "this guy is just stalling, he's never going to finish these books. He's going to die before he finishes it." And sure enough...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    George has stated that books 4&5 will be mashed together for the shows.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)