Page 68 of 72 FirstFirst ... 18 58 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 2159

Thread: Game of Thrones - Spoilers

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I think (okay, I hope) that the vast majority of the petitioners are just jumping on it as a meme or a joke. I don't think they actually expect results (or even a response). I certainly don't think they feel entitled to one.

I'm sure *some* people do, but there are always gonna be some crazies out there.
    People on my own Facebook are spamming it (after signing it) hoping that HBO will actually put millions of dollars and hold off on any GoT spinoffs for the sake of completely reshooting a season that’s already 5/6 of the way over. I’ll admit I shared the story myself, but signing anything like that goes nowhere, unless someone (in this case, HBO) actually opens a petition to gauge interest, and even then...

I do think it’s useful for showing how many people are displeased with the current season, though. The best they can hope for is that HBO learns their lesson and tries to avoid doing something like this in the future.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    God... people are petitioning (440,000 so far) to have HBO re-do season 8. Because there's not anything in the world that deserves this attention more than a fantasy TV show. And because it worked out so well for the Star Wars: The Last Jedi petition.
    So stupid.
    Only bad thing i can say about the last season it's that is "rushed", but other than that i can't complaint.

People are huge babies nowadays...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    The best they can hope for is that HBO learns their lesson and tries to avoid doing something like this in the future.
    Something like what?

I've yet to hear a critique that has made me think "you know what? that's a great point. HBO really screwed up."

Every complaint I've heard so far are just people bitching about how the show didn't got the way they wanted it to. Which - spoiler alert - is not the way TV / books / movies / whatever works.

I for one have enjoyed this season.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Something like what?

I've yet to hear a critique that has made me think "you know what? that's a great point. HBO really screwed up."

Every complaint I've heard so far are just people bitching about how the show didn't got the way they wanted it to. Which - spoiler alert - is not the way TV / books / movies / whatever works.

I for one have enjoyed this season.
    I don’t mean to imply I think that this season is a colossal mistake or anything. While I feel like it’s a weaker season, it’s still ending in the best way it can given the circumstances. However, to say that this season would have benefitted from a full 10-episode slate wouldn’t be wrong. I don’t have any personal stake in what happens as far as “how I wanted it to go.” I’ve even read the spoilers of the finale, and if they have any truth to them, I’ll actually be pleased with where things go in the end. Things throughout the season have had fitting ends to them so far, it just feels like the means they’re using to get there are being rushed for the sake of winding things down in a timely manner.

But when 400,000 people are expressing such intense displeasure, even if I don’t agree with all of it, that isn’t a number that should be completely brushed aside.

Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    So stupid.
    Only bad thing i can say about the last season it's that is "rushed", but other than that i can't complaint.

People are huge babies nowadays...
    That’s more or less my only complaint so far! They’re doing what they can with what they’ve got, and anybody who is upset that so and so died or this big happened forgets what the show has done from the beginning - subvert your expectations. There have been divisive things happening on the show from the beginning, and somehow people forget.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 05-16-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm not going to sign the petition, even with my complaints about how the season has gone. Why do we need to write a petition every time we feel disappointed in something?

I've survived being disappointed many times in my life, and even if Sunday's episode is awful, it'll be just fine.
    Last edited by M1ke; 05-16-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Every single person who has signed this petition should be made to finance the re-shooting of season 8 if they want it so badly.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Every single person who has signed this petition should be made to finance the re-shooting of season 8 if they want it so badly.
    Did you see that fucking "build the wall" GoFundMe?

I bet if they'd done this at the beginning of the season, they could have crowdfunded four more episodes.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Anyway, apparently the short length of the season had nothing to do with budgeting, and in fact HBO actually wanted it to run longer, but the Benioff and Weiss insisted on doing it like this. They recently said...

"HBO would have been happy for the show to keep going, to have more episodes in the final season. We always believed it was about 73 hours, and it will be roughly that."

LOL

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Anyway, apparently the short length of the season had nothing to do with budgeting, and in fact HBO actually wanted it to run longer, but the Benioff and Weiss insisted on doing it like this. They recently said...

"HBO would have been happy for the show to keep going, to have more episodes in the final season. We always believed it was about 73 hours, and it will be roughly that."

LOL
    That made no sense to me...why they said that I mean. Or maybe they were covering for HBO.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Did you see that fucking "build the wall" GoFundMe?

I bet if they'd done this at the beginning of the season, they could have crowdfunded four more episodes.
    Maybe they could also have crowfunded a scene where Jon would have pet Ghost before sending him away. Apparently, the director of that episode said that the reason why Jon did not interact with his direwolf is because there's CGI going into making Ghost appearing bigger than he is and Jon petting him would have look unrealistic.

But having people riding dragons is totally real, of course. ��

On another subject: to whom do you all think Varys was writing at the beginning of episode 5? All I could make out is that he wad spilling the beans about who Jon is. I hoping Varys will end up having a bit of revenge from the grave against Dany...

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Regarding this furious-fan petition, I guess I don't get why people are SO mad about. What exactly is the complaint?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Regarding this furious-fan petition, I guess I don't get why people are SO mad about. What exactly is the complaint?
    They're mad because they think this season has "lazy writing" aka they are just butthurt that it's not the ending they got.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    On another subject: to whom do you all think Varys was writing at the beginning of episode 5? All I could make out is that he wad spilling the beans about who Jon is. I hoping Varys will end up having a bit of revenge from the grave against Dany...
    I don't know, but I think it's entirely possible that he was trying to poison Dany. Between the closeup of him taking off a ring before being executed to the weird "we'll try again at supper" exchange....he may have been attempting a hit.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I don't know, but I think it's entirely possible that he was trying to poison Dany. Between the closeup of him taking off a ring before being executed to the weird "we'll try again at supper" exchange....he may have been attempting a hit.
    Oh I agree; he was definitely trying something. Still, I think that he had another plan in motion. Varys knew better than to put all his eggs in the same basket.

He was as dangerous as Littlefinger, after all. He would not have survived as long as he did otherwise.

Speaking of the late Petyr: I wonder what happened to Sweet Robyn, Lord of the Vale. Is he still throwing people out of the Moon Door?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Speaking of the late Petyr: I wonder what happened to Sweet Robyn, Lord of the Vale. Is he still throwing people out of the Moon Door?
    I was thinking the same thing...

Also, I was recalling that whole thing with Bronn and the crossbow thing and that whole plot thread... was that just a completely useless/predictable red herring?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Oh I agree; he was definitely trying something. Still, I think that he had another plan in motion. Varys knew better than to put all his eggs in the same basket.

He was as dangerous as Littlefinger, after all. He would not have survived as long as he did otherwise.

https://news.avclub.com/its-time-to-...ryn-1833837091

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    @Jinsai I don't know. I never believed that Bronn would kill anyone, he's too clever for that.

HELL NO. If that happens, I'm signing the goddamn petition!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Dan Weiss, Tom Morello of Audioslave/Rage Against The Machine, Scott Ian of Anthrax, Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme, Brad Paisley, and Game Of Thrones composer Ramin Djawadi play the theme song together.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    ^ that is awesome

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I had said something along the lines of this the other day to a friend, or they should try their hand at writing for a show themselves to see if they can come up with something like GOT...the only problem now is that it's gone from it's beginnings, to being an absolutely massive phenomenon of a show where every single episode is hyped on the level that a blockbuster movie is. There is definitely pressure when the hype gets that big with something, it's a part of the culture and everything - it's EVERYWHERE, and you actively have to avoid the internet altogether if you want to avoid spoilers.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this season for the surprises, the unexpected things that have happened, although I've had a couple of plot points from the last two episodes ruined, as well as Arya & The Night King from the Battle of Winterfell, but that serves me right for following GOT meme pages on Facebook and looking at the comments.

and I massively agree with you @eskimo - one of the things I hate about the internet in today's culture is the fact that whenever people are upset or disappointed with something they just start up a big petition and expect things to be changed to how they want it. People need to get a fucking grip.

Whatever happens, happens. We've got 7 other seasons available to watch. There won't be another show like this again so enjoy it for what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    for the sake of honesty, and full disclosure, this season is imho far below the quality of prior seasons, and overall just been relatively poor television.

the actors, all the effects people, costuming, stunts, have been nailing it (aside from one lone coffee cup...) the writing and overall plot direction has been the show's only real weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    They're mad because they think this season has "lazy writing" aka they are just butthurt that it's not the ending they got.
    To be fair - if it was easy to wrap up GoT in a way that felt true to both the books and the previous seasons of the show - GRRM would have released that book years ago, i fully get that it is a monumental task to pull all the bits of this and that together into a coherent story arc that brings the saga to completion - and feels true to everything that has gone on before. it is a literary gordion knot.

i have a ton of sympathy for the writers who saw their jobs go from adapting a series of books to having to assume the burden of largely writing the conclusion.

there is a good grrm rant i could go on, but for the sake of brevity...

That being said, it isn't the various endings that bother me too much, it is how the story is being told.

it is things like the scorpions being all powerful anti dragon weapons one week, and the next - completely pointless, or the seemingly mindless horde of zombies suddenly playing hide and seek in the library.

the clegane bowl was another of those nits, sweet looking fight, but there wasn't anything really riding on it, no real impact.

it is also an over reliance on spectacle vs storytelling.

i do mind how jaime went out, to see a seasons long redemption arc suddenly devour it's own tail just to set up an improbable at best duel with euron with zero emotional connection to either participant just seems like a waste of everyone's time. further the one bit of honor jaime always had was that he functionally prevented the firebombing of kings landing by killing the mad king and becoming the kingslayer, yet he bins all of it openly declaring that he never cared for those people.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koz-ivan View Post
    it is things like the scorpions being all powerful anti dragon weapons one week, and the next - completely pointless,
    I still don't understand why people are so upset about this. One guy came pretty close to blowing up a goddamn plane with his shoes. Literally overnight everyone had to start taking their shoes off at the airport. Same with liquids. Hell, go back to the story of the Trojan Horse. One week it was clever as fuck. Next time? "Fool me once....." comes to mind. I touched a hot stove ONCE as a kid. Learned real quick what a hot stove looked like and felt like and never touched one again.

Something can work fantastically one day because you don't see it coming, but still be so simple that you can easily defeat it in the future because you recognize the threat. The scorpions weren't some masterful thing that should have been effective for ages to come. It was a reasonably simple and effective weapon when it wasn't on the opponents' proverbial radar, but as soon as they knew what to look for....game over.

And NONE of you were bitching about "oh right, like the Night King could take down a dragon with a single hand-thrown spear" when that happened. You were all "holy shit well done Night King" when that happened, but "no way could you ever shoot down a dragon with a whole fleet of similar technology" when it comes up later. Double standards much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Something can work fantastically one day because you don't see it coming, but still be so simple that you can easily defeat it in the future because you recognize the threat. The scorpions weren't some masterful thing that should have been effective for ages to come. It was a reasonably simple and effective weapon when it wasn't on the opponents' proverbial radar, but as soon as they knew what to look for....game over.
    except that dany's dragons got shot at last season too, which while it wasn't fatal, should have been a wake up call, alas she somehow let a fleet of ships sneak up on her & her flying dragons...

And NONE of you were bitching about "oh right, like the Night King could take down a dragon with a single hand-thrown spear" when that happened. You were all "holy shit well done Night King" when that happened, but "no way could you ever shoot down a dragon with a whole fleet of similar technology" when it comes up later. Double standards much?
    3 things.

1. the night king at least was another primal magical force, i never expected the rules of physics to apply 100% here.
    2. the night king shooting down a dragon was one of the least improbable things in the episode, which lets be honest had a real stretch of a plot consisting of going north of the wall to kidnap a zombie - so they could then be allies with cersei.

3. hope is a funny thing, how people react to a show when there is at least a whole season to go, and when there is only an hour or two left won't always be the same thing.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    This is an excellent article about Dany's actions in King's Landing and how her entire life brought her there :

https://www.vulture.com/amp/2019/05/...s-tragedy.html

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    This is an excellent article about Dany's actions in King's Landing and how her entire life brought her there :

https://www.vulture.com/amp/2019/05/...s-tragedy.html
    Good read. I like the comparison with LOTR and Frodo; it does work.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I'm in the "this is a little rushed" camp, but, otherwise, I dig it.

I agree that people have become sort of ridiculous and toxic, when stories don't go how they want them to go.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I'm in the "this is a little rushed" camp, but, otherwise, I dig it.

I agree that people have become sort of ridiculous and toxic, when stories don't go how they want them to go.
    Agreed, me as well. When I heard of the petition, and the amount of people that signed it...

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Game of Thrones - Spoilers

I just watched last week’s episode again. It was sooo good. Fuck the haters.
    Also, my new theory is arya kills dany with khal drogo’s face. I think that’s what the white horse is about. I think it will be predictable and Jon will have the throne with Arya and Sansa as his advisors.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Definitely the intensity about it is weird. I think there's a validity to the notion that a feminist icon has been damaged, and yet on the other hand this provides at least two toher, and then on the... Third? Hand? This show is has an absurdly mysognistic legacy and is little more than pulp throughout.

And that it has been little more than pulp is probably where it's audience has become so wide and probably why so few are used to the subverted expectations of a heel turn, of understanding why Daenerys' turn and complexity is one of the shows few strengths. The broad audience can deal with the dumb shock of a sudden murder, but a tragic villain is harder to bear.

And maybe partly because it's so rare to have a proper execution. Perhaps the only one I can think of in recent memory is Harvey dent in the dark Knight, a turn telegraphed a mile away and handled with zero finesse