Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Android

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Did you update to 4.1? 4.1 (and 4.2) is supposed to be faster, not slower. Strange, if so. Do you know if you installed a lot of apps that might run in the background? The xda forums (or Google) might have some information if you are still unsure. An anti virus would probably make it slower, personally I don't plan on using one for mine.
    It has 4.1 right now. I just let it auto update. I've added a couple apps. Various news apps and Scrabble (lol). But I noticed it had slowed before I added them. Its' not unbearably slow when loading an app. But its slow when I rotate the screen and when I start tapping out a text message I have to wait for it to catch up some times.
    Last edited by PooPooMeowChow; 02-24-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Well, I guess the next big thing is already here.... cannot wait to play with this baby.

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galax...sode-1-suggest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone here an Android developer?

I made a Windows app to help solve an annoying issue I've noticed more and more frequently... Ugly status bars in screenshots!!

No one seems to pay much attention to what's going on in their screenshots when they upload them. Here are some prime offenders (so many notifications, etc!!):
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...0uYW5kcm9pZCJd

Now wouldn't it be nice if all status bars in screenshots looked as nice and clean as this:

You can download my Android Status Bar Cleaner free here:
    https://googledrive.com/host/0BzN5ZI...tatusbars.html

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I am now a proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy S II, I now have joined the Android family!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I am now a proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy S II, I now have joined the Android family!
    Meet the S4 http://laughingsquid.com/samsung-ann...id-smartphone/

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iran_Ed View Post
    I know I'm outdated.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    About the S4, from that article: "With Smart Stay, the phone detects whether or not you’re looking at it, and will automatically pause videos if you look away, and restart them when you look back. The phone doesn’t feature automatic eye-scrolling like rumors suggested, but users can scroll by tilting the phone up and down."

WHAAAT?!?!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The S3 already can detect if you're looking at it or not. I guess that's the next step. We all know what's next...Skynet!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Man...I'm livin in the GOTDAMN stone age with my Razr MAXXX...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Android

Some of my favorite apps: DoggCatcher, Tasks, Light Flow, Tasker, Ultimate Rotation Control, DashClock Widget, QuickPic, Battery Widget, SwiftKey, Explorer, Team Viewer, Wifi Analyzer, MyFitnessPal.

Tasker is the shit, but it may take a lot of patience for some. Use the help icons in each of the sections, and the online help/examples are good if you want to do something and get stuck.

An example set of Tasker tasks I made just today, to automatically text someone if I previously set a "busy" variable using a widget if I know that I will be too busy to reply for a bit. Order of events:

1. Tap a widget that put on the home screen, which I labeled "busy", it sets a variable "busy" to "1" and automatically clears the variable after waiting 20 min.

2a. If I receive a text while "busy" is set to "1" from a phone number that I white listed for this task, it will auto reply to them saying "automatic text: I'm busy, will get back to you when I can". The white list I have is actually a variable I created, which can be used for other tasks. Sets a "lasttxt" variable to the person's phone number who texted me, which this same task always checks first for before auto replying. If they text again, it won't reply if the latest text phone number is equal to the previous "lasttxt" variable.

or

2b. The same as above, will auto text them if they are in my white list, busy is set to "1", "lasttxt" is not equal to them, but they CALLED instead of texting me. Saves their number to the same "lasttxt" as above, in case they text me with something after they tried to call and already received my auto text.

3. I also made a "not busy" widget on the home screen, if I am no longer busy and want to clear the "busy" and "lasttxt" variables before it eventually automatically clears them after the 20 minute mark.

Note that the checking against the "lasttxt" variable for prevention of sending repeat texts to someone may not work well for those who get many texts or calls. This is because the lasttxt variable is set to the last person who tried contacting me. A better solution could be arrays or using a regular expression to check against a "lasttxt" variable that APPENDS numbers rather than replacing them.

Another Task I made is similar to iPhone's do not disturb feature for calls, with VIP (another white list variable I created) and some more stuff. Sets screen brightness to 0, though. 0 brightness is more dim than auto brightness setting at its lowest.

Last example: when my phone connects to my Wifi (like when I get home after work), Tasker will automatically launch my DoggCatcher podcast app, then minimize it. DoggCatcher has its own setting where it will automatically check the podcast rss feeds for updates, so it will already have started downloading new stuff when I'm on wifi.

So... lots of fun, lots of flexibility. Someone even made a text based game using Tasker.
    Last edited by blassster; 03-17-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Is anyone familiar with APN settings for AT&T?? I need to know what the APN settings should be on my Galaxy S3 and google hasn't really been giving me a straight answer.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Is anyone familiar with APN settings for AT&T?? I need to know what the APN settings should be on my Galaxy S3 and google hasn't really been giving me a straight answer.
    Try this (I think the 4g option they refer to is what you need):

http://<br /> http://forum.xda-devel...85&postcount=2

If that doesn't work, try searching elsewhere within xda. Good luck!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

So for us android users, what did you think so far of the Google i/o? Loving all the new updates so far

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    So for us android users, what did you think so far of the Google i/o? Loving all the new updates so far
    Really happy about the new reminders system in Gnow, the old way of it just making an alarm for handling the reminder felt cheap/clunky. Will test the location based reminder for it tomorrow, but I like it in theory.
    Last edited by blassster; 05-15-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    So I picked up an S4. Its pretty cool i think.. Hard wandering away from the iPhone. I prefer iPhones simplicity... a little overwhelmed by Androids functionality! Which sounds weird. but I think I Like it... I think.. ha

It seems obvious to me, but why cant I find any custom backplates for this thing. I think it would be cool to have a clear back so you can see the internals. Any ideas?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    Really happy about the new reminders system in Gnow, the old way of it just making an alarm for handling the reminder felt cheap/clunky. Will test the location based reminder for it tomorrow, but I like it in theory.
    Agreed. This new function has me depending more on what my phone does than I had previously and it has helped me a lot in my day to day. Finally. Location awareness is so nice.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Took the S4 back and traded for a HTC ONE. So far it seems like this phone is FAR superior.

Not sure why there is any question about it on the internets

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I'm also thinking about ditching iOS for Android....after playing with the S4 I was blown away at how awesome it is. Just the fact that I can have my email open and browse the web at the same time is very convenient

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I think the S4 is OKAY. its way better than the android i bought and returned 2 years ago. that being said... I think its built like shit. and it has way too many weird glitches.

I am enjoying the ONE. However the ONLY reason I got an android in the first place is because I have lots of clients that have android devices and I realized I didn't know enough about them to be able to accurately handle their needs.

IMO... iPHONE is still far superior. And I will be getting another one as soon as I move for my Northern California number.

Just waiting to see whatever Apple announces next week. If they announce an iPad Mini Phone I'll buy it on the spot.

But seriously... Screw the S4. Get the One. its pretty sweet. especially if you're switching from iPhone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys, I made a thing! It should work on almost all Androids I hope some of you are as nerdy as I am and have an unhealthy obsession with tetrominos/puzzles (if not, try the game and maybe you will)!

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...zzle-challenge

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So, I finally updated to Jelly Bean 4.2. Unsure how I think about it.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Goodbye iPhone 5, hello galaxy s4!

tapatalkin'

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    If you ever get bored with the design of the s4's launcher. Try this app called buzz launcher. Toy can download user made screens and you can create you own.

Welcome timp, to the right choice.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Android

Yeah, I've been looking at the different launchers and whatnot. I just downloaded Swift Keyboard which is amazing and blows the doors off the stock keyboard from Samsung. It's insanely accurate (swipe) and the keys are bigger which makes it easier for me to type. Check it out if you haven't already....

I'm porting over my number to tmobile now that I have an employee account....can't beat $5 a month for service

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    picked up a nexus 7.

this thing is pretty neat.

hoping to put ubuntu on it at some point.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Android

Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    picked up a nexus 7.

this thing is pretty neat.

hoping to put ubuntu on it at some point.
    Let me know how you like it after a few weeks. My girlfriend wants either the Kindle Fire HD ( gotta support her employer), the Nexus 7", or the Samsung Note III. I'm leaning towards the Note, but we're open to the other two if it fits her needs better

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I like it. I like that its stock android. I dont like all the crap samsung bloats their stuff with. and its built really well. way better than the samsung toys.

and for the money id say it kicks the kindles ass all over the place because its a full functioning tablet, right out of the box. i got the 32 gig version. after tax it was like 290 or something. I wish they had an LTE version.
    @NotoriousTIMP

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Hey All,

I'm currently using an iPhone 4 and really feel its time to upgrade and I'm thinking of getting a Galaxy S4. I had a Samsung phone a few years ago, I hated it, it wouldn't play Apple audio files in numerical order, only alphabetically.

So, my question is for people using using Apple audio codecs on a Galaxy S4 - is everything playing correctly? Are there any issues?

Thank you for your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    Hey All,

I'm currently using an iPhone 4 and really feel its time to upgrade and I'm thinking of getting a Galaxy S4. I had a Samsung phone a few years ago, I hated it, it wouldn't play Apple audio files in numerical order, only alphabetically.

So, my question is for people using using Apple audio codecs on a Galaxy S4 - is everything playing correctly? Are there any issues?

Thank you for your help!
    I've used various players but recently started using Google Play Music. It has my library uploaded to the cloud with no subscription--and, with the sub, it's like Pandora radio.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutilated View Post
    Hey All,

Thank you for your help!
    I've had no issues at all with the music player on my GS4.

I love my GS4. Easily the best phone I've had. I had a HTC G2 before my S4 and it was good for a few years but eventually it just got really outdated and literally every app would crash on me for no reason at all. Hell even contacts would crash on me.