Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favourite live show opening / special intros

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Favourite live show opening / special intros

Ways NIN have opened a live show (please help me if I've missed any)

what are your favourites?

Sanctified clean intro (was there an intro track?)

Pinion > Terrible Lie

Now I'm Nothing > Terrible Lie

The New Flesh / Pinion > Somewhat Damaged

Beside You In Time (or Pinion) > Love is Not Enough

Somewhat Damaged clean intro

Pilgrimage > Mr. Self Destruct

Hyperpower! > The Beginning of the End

999,999 > 1,000,000

Home (clean intro)

Copy of A (clean intro)

As far as I'm aware those are the most popular throughout NIN's touring history. Have there been any cool one-off openings that have made the show a little different?
    One example is this show from 2009 which was opened with The Frail / The Wretched which I had never seen before.

NOW YOU GO

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    As far as I'm aware those are the most popular throughout NIN's touring history. Have there been any cool one-off openings that have made the show a little different?
    One example is this show from 2009 which was opened with The Frail / The Wretched which I had never seen before.

NOW YOU GO
    That's probably my favorite because I was there front row middle and filmed it:

My second favorite would be Home. It was an unusual choice and very poignant.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Somewhat damaged with TR just walking onstage and singing. And then it just jams, and it jams hard. Sometimes I wish The Fragile started like that, with that explosion, instead of the slower build up. But The Fragile is perfect, so no, nevermind.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 08-05-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Somewhat damaged with TR just walking onstage and singing. And then it just jams, and it jams hard. Sometimes I wish The Fragile started like that, with that explosion, instead of the slower build up. But The Fragile is perfect, so no, nevermind.
    this

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Pinion into Mr. Self Destruct from the 94 tour. Not sure how that didn't make the list

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    It has to be Now I'm Nothing/Terrible Lie for me. Now I'm Nothing was my favourite intro even when I assumed it had been retired years before I'd even heard of NIN, just from the video and audio I had found online. When they brought it back for NINJA I was overjoyed, and then lucky enough to finally see it in person in Irvine. Good fucking times.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Somewhat Damaged

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Probably Somewhat Damaged, but I will never forget the first time I saw them, I was grabbing a drink in the lobby of the venue and heard Pinion...ran in and Terrible Lie kicked in and it was just fucking great.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've heard BYIT>Terrible Lie at a show, which was interesting. I'd have to go with Somewhat Damaged as my personal favourite.

Oh, and HLAH has opened a few shows over the years. Pinion > Wish has also cropped up (notably in 2005 and I know it happened at Dublin in 07). Me, I'm Not opened two European festival shows in 2007, as well (Edinburgh and Lowlands, IIRC).
    Last edited by slave2thewage; 08-05-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember seeing the frail into the wretched......at congress theater in chicago, and you knew right away during the wretched that something was not quite on......You know what you are started and stopped abruptly...it was like maybe 5-10 min and suddenly Trent walked back out and busted into Wish and March of the pigs, Saved the day

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W.O.R.M View Post
    I remember seeing the frail into the wretched......at congress theater in chicago, and you knew right away during the wretched that something was not quite on......You know what you are started and stopped abruptly...it was like maybe 5-10 min and suddenly Trent walked back out and busted into Wish and March of the pigs, Saved the day
    http://www.ninwiki.com/2005/05/06_Chicago,_IL

http://reflectinginthechrome.com/sho.../20050501.html Looks like it happened at Coachella too.
    Last edited by butter_hole; 08-05-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I've heard BYIT>Terrible Lie at a show, which was interesting. I'd have to go with Somewhat Damaged as my personal favourite.

Oh, and HLAH has opened a few shows over the years. Pinion > Wish has also cropped up (notably in 2005 and I know it happened at Dublin in 07).
    Just linking these so I can check them out for myself later
    http://reflectinginthechrome.com/sho.../20070822.html

Me, I'm Not opened two European festival shows in 2007, as well (Edinburgh and Lowlands, IIRC).
    http://reflectinginthechrome.com/sho.../20070821.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yup, was a cool show, you could only hear the band from the stage more than likely coming from the monitors, the whole front of house was just drums and possibly vocals. He handled it completely cool (you could tell he was pissed though lol), andit was almost like he knew there's only one way to start this set back up.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Extended version of Pinion, or Somewhat Damaged from the '06 summer tour. Can't go wrong either way and tough choice.

Can't say it's my fave but I do like Copy of A for this summers festivals intro. Change can be good.

Ill play devils advocate and say the most underwhelming one I've heard in person is Home.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Oh, and HLAH has opened a few shows over the years.
    Here's its most recent example it appears

http://reflectinginthechrome.com/sho.../20090908.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm torn between the Pinion/New Flesh/Somewhat Damaged opening as I think Somewhat Damaged is a killer album opener and one of my favorite songs, and the old school Now I'm Nothing/Terrible Lie. I dream that one day a studio recording of Now I'm Nothing from the 90's will be miraculously found.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I have a really big boner for Home, so hearing that as the opening track always sounded great.

I think the NIN/JA variation of the Now I'm Nothing > Terrible Lie opening is right on its heels, though. The notes Trent hits during that...damn.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i envy whoever got to hear PILGRIMAGE live, no matter intro or mid-set

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    We had Pinion into Wish at one of the "final" Chicago shows. I can't recall how far they went but for the first three or four songs it sounded like they were going to play Broken all the way through. Then Discipline went and ruined it. ;p

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Where was this from? I'm so bad at this, I know I recognize that crying sample from somewhere NIN related.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbeetle View Post
    this

Considering I was at this gig, fuck yes. This was a truly great opener. Takes the first place for me. And I remember being very excited when I noticed that Rob was filming a song that'd always been a bit of a rarity live.

I'm very fond of Now I'm Nothing > Terrible Lie too. And Trent's synth tweaking during the beginning of Copy of A is also a pretty awesome way to open a concert.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-06-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Hypower! was always a rad opening but sadly it almost always went straight into the beginning is the end which is one of my least favorite NIN tracks...

Personal favorite: the new flesh/pinion into somewhat damaged (terrible lie worked really well, too)

But right now copy of a is what it's all about and I can't even begin to imagine what we will get once Tension 2013 hits the stage!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Favourite live show opening / special intros

Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Where was this from? I'm so bad at this, I know I recognize that crying sample from somewhere NIN related.
    1990 Hate tour. Not sure what show

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Now I'm Nothing - Terrible Lie.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I've seen Nine Inch Nails 3 times and have been lucky to have seen three different kinds of openings.

Pinion into Love is Not Enough (2005)
    999,999 into 1,000,000 (2008)
    Now I'm Nothing into Terrible Lie (2009)

I remember being EXTREMELY pumped that my NIN|JA show got the incredibly rare Now I'm Nothing intro so I'd say that was my favorite of the three I've seen. Though the Love is Not Enough intro from 2005 has a special place in my heart since it was my first time seeing my favorite band live.

This Copy of A intro looks and sounds like it'll be very promising! I wonder if they'll still keep the general flow of that...or if at all for the fall Tension tour.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I said somewhat damaged earlier, but fuck "home" was great too. That guitar with the e-bow fading in to start the show...

But "now im nothing" into that fast drum beat for "terrible lie"...its just too much. Very sad I never got to see that one live.

I cant decide. NIN has always been the BEST at opening a show. The anticipation...every time ive seen them, (9 times) i feel like im literally going to have a heart attack as the show starts.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Pinion/Terrible was my first NIN intro ever. Classic and loved it.
    Pilgrimage/Mr. Self Destruct was pretty sweet.

Somewhat Damaged during that summer amphitheater tour was also awesome.

I regret not making the drive for NINJA, missed Now I'm Nothing/Terrible Lie. That looked amazing judging by the videos I saw.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That weird mix of Corona Radiata with a slow 1,000,000 was killer:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefinite_Cure View Post
    That weird mix of Corona Radiata with a slow 1,000,000 was killer:

They did a similar thing with Mr. Self Destruct in Austin.

That's my favorite opener because that's the only time I saw them.