Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45
Results 1,321 to 1,328 of 1328

Thread: RITC's Audio/Video Recording Thread - Download Links

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Isn't V4 supposed to contain the previous ones? So it's not complete?

In other news, I downloaded both video and audio! Seeding time.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I've finally grabbed all of the V4 audio torrent and I'm seeding it now.

(The v2 torrent had 1,483 files that are not in the V4 one: I think they are almost all cases where the taper was unknown and is now known so got renamed. IF anyone is curious the list is here: https://phobos.redmars.org/diff_ninlive_v2_v4.txt ; those files totalled about 32G. I've still got them too.)

Years ago I suggested to Ryan mirroring ninlive onto archive.org's Live Music Archive. At the time he wasn't too keen, but I think that its time to revisit that, so it's my plan to get the archive uploaded there.

I haven't tried grabbing the video torrent yet, I may or may not do so (got to try and avoid biting off more than I can chew)
    I don't think @ninlive is keen on it now (still). I sent him an email about it & he had some valid reasons. I won't speak for him as to what they are. The archive is his baby, so totally his choice. I'm just grateful for all the time, effort & expense he has put into it & that I was able to grab what I have. Hopefully he'll find a solution by the time the band starts playing live again.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    What was the reason for hesitation? I'm not aware of any particulars, but I have always wondered why uploading to Archive as well was never the case as it always seemed like a no-brainer.
    The Live Music Archive will only accept uploads from bands that have given permission. Trent cannot give explicit permission for various rights related reasons.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Trent cannot give explicit permission for various rights related reasons.
    So that's it. I'd known that artist permission was required, but I had no clue there were legal issues that even prevented him from doing so. Thanks.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Ah. The LMA rules (inherited I think from the etree days? I’m surprised they’re still present, since archive.org are quite a lot more permissive for other media types) weren’t amongst the objection’s Ryan expressed to me years back, but are probably insurmountable. So I guess seeding the torrents is basically the best strategy for now.

Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    I have been extremely busy the last few weeks. So I am finally getting caught up on some things.

I've just caught up on the news and learned of the troubles. I'm going to jump on seeding the torrent asap. First I'm checking how much of the data I already have: I've been seeding the V2 torrent for a while, but I can't just lay the new one over the top of the old one since the root folder name has changed ("NIN Drive" → "1 - NIN Drive") and perhaps other structural changes too. Putting my complete V2 Drive data in a safe place before I fire up the new one. Thanks for all your work!

Edit: that was worth it: v2 covers 62% of the latest torrent content.
    I've finally grabbed all of the V4 audio torrent and I'm seeding it now.

(The v2 torrent had 1,483 files that are not in the V4 one: I think they are almost all cases where the taper was unknown and is now known so got renamed. IF anyone is curious the list is here: https://phobos.redmars.org/diff_ninlive_v2_v4.txt ; those files totalled about 32G. I've still got them too.)

Years ago I suggested to Ryan mirroring ninlive onto archive.org's Live Music Archive. At the time he wasn't too keen, but I think that its time to revisit that, so it's my plan to get the archive uploaded there.

I haven't tried grabbing the video torrent yet, I may or may not do so (got to try and avoid biting off more than I can chew)
    Ah. The LMA rules (inherited I think from the etree days? I’m surprised they’re still present, since archive.org are quite a lot more permissive for other media types) weren’t amongst the objection’s Ryan expressed to me years back, but are probably insurmountable. So I guess seeding the torrents is basically the best strategy for now.
    v2 was released in 2014, so there is a lot of stuff added since then. v3 was released in 2019. Yes, I have made changes to the directory to help me out with my local drive. So I know it messed a lot of people up. Those 1,483 files may have been modified or deleted - you can see the reasons why in the log file I use to catalog any change/addition/modification to the drive on my end.

TheBang is correct with his explanation. But yes, there are some selfish reasons why I want to continue to work on it. I have been working on this site, updating it, gathering sources, tagging every file, transferring tapes - since 2008. Sure, I have had a lot of help gathering sources but I have thousands of hours invested in working on this project, following leads, looking at old emails/forums/bulletins etc. Not to mention compiling the drives too. This is my hobby. I do it because I love working on it and interacting with others about my passion of archiving a band's concert history. If I couldn't work on this anymore, I'd be gutted. It is so much a part of who I am. That might sound sad, but I really love working on it. Going to archive means I cannot curate it anymore. Everything you see on ninlive is all I have. I'm out of sources at the moment, tbh. I'm confident it's pretty much everything that is out there right now. I've had some success finding uncirculated tapes and creating an online presence for ninlive is the best way to get these. Maybe once TR is ready to hang it up touring, I'll be able to move it over... I am aware that this needs to stay documented and preserved.

I'm committed to finding a solution to get it back online. Obviously, it will take some time.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD View Post
    Isn't V4 supposed to contain the previous ones? So it's not complete?

In other news, I downloaded both video and audio! Seeding time.
    v4.0 includes everything. Some recordings have been deleted/modified/upgraded as I have found new sources, better generations of tapes, new info for recordings (IE Taper, equipment, lineage etc), or mislabels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't get it, what made the host disable the downloads all of a sudden? As long as you pay the hosting and there isn't anything copyrighted, they should not care.
    Any plans to switch to anything else? Surely some other options would not have this problem.

Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andreiuc88 View Post
    I don't get it, what made the host disable the downloads all of a sudden? As long as you pay the hosting and there isn't anything copyrighted, they should not care.
    Any plans to switch to anything else? Surely some other options would not have this problem.
    I’ve talked about this on the site and Twitter but here is the situation.

I got an email from my host that the directory, (/download) was being used as a repository for files/backup. I have been with them since 2010 and their terms of service states that you cannot host files on their servers that act as a backup. Which I didn’t. Every single file was sourced to the website’s html pages. Which is one of the terms they stated. Also we had implemented “no hot linking” for any downloads in that directory. So users had to visit the physical site to grab files. It ticked all of the boxes for Dreamhost. I have emails from them back then that said all was good.

The site is on a shared server. It started small-ish, at 500GB. But it has grown immensely in the last 10 years to almost 2TB. Last year, the site hit the max on the server and I also had to get an Amazon S3 service. Which is just expensive if I added everything to it with the amount of downloads are done. We had pleaded our case. But ultimately, even though they are in the formal stipulations of their ToS, they can do whatever they want. They see the site as a backup and taking up server space for other users/sites. Funny thing is the guy who was overlooking it was a NIN fan and was sad to have this happen….

TLDR: hosting services Terms of Service can be changed to whatever.