Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Metal Thread

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've been listening to a lot of death- and funeral doom lately. Disembowelment, Winter, Catacombs, Esoteric - love this stuff.

I've also started to collect some obscure old-school death metal via Dark Descent. The Timeghoul and Toxaemia retrospectives are my favourite acquisitions thus far.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    new carcass is out. pretty great, although i was expecting something a bit closer to necroticism. sounds more like a mix of heartwork and swansong.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Seems like a good place to leave this...
    http://www.terrorizer.com/news/news-...-enter-studio/

Max Cavalera, Troy Sanders and Greg Puciato have begun recording an album together in Los Angeles.The Soulfly, Mastodon and Dillinger Escape Plan members are joined by former Mars Volta drummer Dave Eilich – who have all descended to Fortress Studio in LA. Josh Wilbur – who produced Lamb Of God’s ‘Wrath’ – will produce the album.
    Talking to Terrorizer en route to the studio yesterday, Max said:
    “It’s going to be cool, we just don’t have a name yet, the name is a pain in the ass to find a name but the music is great. We have been working on this for two years!
    Greg approached me kinda like how Alex [Newport] approached me to do Nailbomb in that he was really, really trying to get me to do this project. I told him already I was pretty busy doing Soulfly and Cavalera Conspiracy [and] I was not really looking for an extra thing, but he was pretty insistent and then I just gave up and was like ‘let’s fucking do this!’
    “It started with just me and Greg and then we got Dave Elitch – he’s an amazing drummer – and then Greg knew Troy and we asked him to be the bassist so it kind of became a supergroup all of a sudden. We jammed a couple of times and the last jam we did it sounded killer; the songs are really powerful real heavy. It’s hard to describe but I think the coolest thing about this project is that all three of us are going to sing on every song.”
    The album will be released, says Max, during 2014.
    You can find Soulfly on Facebook.
    Awesomesauce!!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Find this kind of thing really enjoyable lately

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This was always gonna be a single

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    In honor of Metal Monday

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Just discovered Nekrogoblikon.
    Awesome video!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone here familiar with Vildhjarta? If so, they have a new EP out. Digital and vinyl. Official video for their track "Dimman" is below:

and an older one, "Dagger" from their album released last year called "Masstaden"

Anyone into this kinda stuff?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

my AOTY contenders.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Love this....

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

In love with this band/album at the moment.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Just heard that Woods of Desolation album for the first time today. I really enjoyed it. I feel like I will have to give a few more listens to let it sink in completely.

I'm absolutely in love with the new Thou album. It's pretty long at 70 minutes, but if you are in the mood for sludge, it's just about perfect.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    To me, Mayhem are to metal what Aphex Twin is to electronic music: once I discovered them, there was no point going any further into that respective genre.
    That's a pretty close-minded stance IMO. I'm sure they are soooo metal because they burned down some churches and buried their clothes (?), but limiting yourself to one band of an extremely varied genre seems kind of ignorant, no?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Mehem.

{10charas}

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    this is a really great interview with Mayhem that focuses on the music, not the drama: http://thequietus.com/articles/14975...w-necrobutcher

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    New song from Crowbar if anyone is interested.

http://metalmouth.net/2014/04/crowba...etry-in-black/

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    hahahaha I just saw this on blabbermouth! hilarious!
    this Linkin Park one aint bad either

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    THANTIFAXATH

This record's been blowing me away both in intensity, beauty, songwriting and production.

I guess it's a form of blackmetal...

review from needledrop

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Best metal albums of 2014, Rolling Stone: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...-2014-20141211

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    There's a distinct lack of Fallujah on that list.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Coming from Rolling Stone, it's a decent list. For the hell of it, my top picks would be, in no particular order:

Behemoth - The Satanist
    Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails
    Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun
    Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain
    YOB - Clearing the Path to Ascend
    Eyehategod - Eyehategod
    1349 - Massive Cauldron of Chaos
    Black Crown Initiate - The Wreckage of Stars (Definitely best full-length debut released this year)
    Slipknot - The Grey Chapter
    King 810 - Memoirs of a Murderer (nice to see a young band blend aspects of Korn and Slipknot into a concept album, although I can understand why people who hate nu-metal despise this one, I personally thought it was great)
    Valdrin - Beyond the Forest
    Goatwhore - Constricting Rage of the Merciless
    Lord Mantis - Death Mask
    Hour of Penance - Regicide
    Machine Head - Bloodstone & Diamonds

Bands who released albums this year I've yet to listen to (and probably should): Triptykon, Misery Index, Crowbar, Revocation, Job For A Cowboy (not a fan, but the stellar reviews for Sun Eater caught my eye), In This Moment, In Flames
    Last edited by mrselfdestruct94; 12-11-2014 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Twilight View Post
    New song from Crowbar if anyone is interested.

http://metalmouth.net/2014/04/crowba...etry-in-black/
    love a bit of crowbar... such a same he left down

saw them at helfest at like 11 in the morning, it was blazing hot and dusty - perfect

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

So this is going to be fucking amazing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post

So this is going to be fucking amazing.
    The Contortionist have been announced as Headliners for next years UK Tech Metal Fest. They don't push my buttons the way a Tesseract or Uneven Structure do, but think I will have to check them out a bit more because it's a brilliant festival and the site is only 15 minutes from home!!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure there isn't a band specific thread, so... I picked up the Anthrax album today. I've had an mp3 copy for a little while now, but it's nice having the real thing. I see it's been getting lots of great reviews, so perhaps at last we'll see a rise in their profile and maybe a little more critical respect (whatever that might be worth!).
    So anyway, I think it's awesome. It certainly feels a little more focused and consistent than anything they've done in a while. Perhaps even since Sound Of White Noise. Considering how long it takes these guys to get a record out if follows surprisingly nicely from Worship Music. If you were interested you probably heard Evil Twin a while back, and then Breathing Lightning more recently. Pretty good examples of where they're at. Evil Twin is one of the heaviest tracks on there, and Breathing Lightning one of the most melodic. If you don't like either then don't bother at all.
    I do enjoy the fact that they're not trying to be like anyone else (by that I mean it is good old fashioned heavy metal), although it is perhaps missing a little of the odd fun side of the band. That's my only real complaint - it does perhaps lack a bit of personality. Way back when with Persistence of Time they did a dark heavy album rather lacking in 'fun', but it still felt specifically Anthrax in it's darkness. Maybe it was just a New York vibe, but it had a sort of urban anxiety in it. For All Kings has a bite for sure, but I'm not sure it cuts quite as deep emotionally, but maybe that's just old age.
    Speaking of age though - they sure don't slouch live. Caught them at the end of last year, and hoping they'll come back through the UK in the summer maybe.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Good band, awesome video.