Page 41 of 137 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 4092

Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    The whole all female director Jessica Jones thing is just confusing.
    why is that confusing? it's a show about women being empowered, why not take the opportunity to hire more women to direct the episodes and extend the theme of the material into the real world?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    it just seems a bit gimmicky & forced. Plus, as much as I liked the first season, the show had several big problems, and I hope those are addressed. That should be the focus, not the gender of the directors.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    On a related note, I think the biggest problem they need to solve with every one of these series is the # of episodes. After having watched all four seasons of the Netflix shows, I can safely say they all would have benefited from 3 or so less episodes. Momentum is lost at diff. points of each season and never fully gained back b/c they have too much time to fill. Considering they never use any of the episodes for "monster of the week" or similar episodes, we just have a glut of episodes to deal with the main story, which thus far hasn't required this many to tell.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    why is that confusing? it's a show about women being empowered, why not take the opportunity to hire more women to direct the episodes and extend the theme of the material into the real world?
    I can understand a majority of the episodes... Maybe even half, but the ENTIRE season? Like bobbie said above, it just seems like it's becoming an unnecessary trend these days... All female cast, all female directors. You don't need to do that to get the theme across in this show, especially since that theme seemed to be well addressed way before this news even came out. Eh, it is what it is I suppose.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    This is Disney/Marvel we're talking about. Even if it's a show about mutant, radioactive snails and it's directed by a team of highly experienced snails who wish to empower the smallest and weakest of snails everywhere, a Marvel executive will always tell them what to do. Marvel/Netflix directors have very little creative output on the final product and are nothing more than hired guns who fulfill the desires of the producers. It's their show.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    it just seems a bit gimmicky & forced. Plus, as much as I liked the first season, the show had several big problems, and I hope those are addressed. That should be the focus, not the gender of the directors.
    So what if it is forced? There needs to be parity and if forcing the issue is what gets it, then I guess that's where we are.

AKA It's 20 mother-fucking 16 and we're still whining about female directors and female leads in Star Wars and female presidents. Buckle the fuck up.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    So what if it is forced? There needs to be parity and if forcing the issue is what gets it, then I guess that's where we are.

AKA It's 20 mother-fucking 16 and we're still whining about female directors and female leads in Star Wars and female presidents. Buckle the fuck up.
    you're my new best friend and i love you <3

haven't watched luke cage yet and i've heard some mixed things, but i'm still very interested in it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The only thing in the entire world that I care about when it comes to JJ Season 2 is that it not have six episodes that feel like they could've been turned into two really good ones and plots that dragged out for the sake of filling the season order out, side characters that I couldn't care less about, a main character that does something other than alternate between scowling condescendingly and looking upset and an ending that feels satisfying rather than "about damn time" because the show has taken so long to get to the obvious conclusion.

But, eh, that's just me. They can hire whoever the hell they want to make it as long as it's good. That's their choice to make. Whatever. I don't see why anyone gets worked up over something like that one way or the other. With all the weird issues all of their shows have had so far, it seems like a weird thing to direct complaints at.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Just saw Doctor Strange and thought it was fantastic. I didn't expect much from this, I'm bit bored of Marvel movies by now, but this was something really different, new and exciting. Benedict is fantastic in the role. Only really negative thing I have to say is that the humor felt out of place in certain scenes. But all around this might be my favorite part of MCU for now

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    Just saw Doctor Strange and thought it was fantastic. I didn't expect much from this, I'm bit bored of Marvel movies by now, but this was something really different, new and exciting. Benedict is fantastic in the role. Only really negative thing I have to say is that the humor felt out of place in certain scenes. But all around this might be my favorite part of MCU for now
    I am glad that Strange is going to be good. But I have to say, Marvel needs to tone it down with the forced humor. Its like they go in the room and think that they need to put these out of place, lame jokes because that is why the audience loves these movies. The humor never feels natural.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    It feels the most unnatural when Tony is going rapid fire. Those jokes never land for me. I feel like a good amount of the humor in the first Avengers & the Cap movies (sans Tony in Civil War) works.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    It feels the most unnatural when Tony is going rapid fire. Those jokes never land for me. I feel like a good amount of the humor in the first Avengers & the Cap movies (sans Tony in Civil War) works.
    vision in civil war has some pretty great humorous moments, like entering wanda's room through the wall, or trying to make her dinner even though he doesn't eat and having no idea how it tastes.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Saw Doctor Strange the other night and it was.... Ok! not the best Marvel film (which is *clearly* Ant Man) but I enjoyed it way more than Civil War. It felt a little... flat in places, the special effects are absolutely stunning tho and make up for a lot of the narrative. so in summation: it's okay, it looks good, needed more Paul Rudd.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    ... needed more Paul Rudd.
    Every single thing in life needs more Paul Rudd. Everything.

It opens here on Friday (but you know me; I know everything about it already including the post credit scenes) and I can't wait to see it. Reviews are great and so is the box office (I only mention those because it's what's important in the industry) which means we are getting more Strange.

Pun intended.

On second thought: Paul Rudd and Little Groot together would be like... *head explodes*

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Ant Man is a great conparison. The action scenes are unique and cool/spectacular, the story is arduous, prrdictable and horribly formulaic. It is actually much worse than ant man in that latter regard, the jokes never land and Dr. Strange is horribly unlikable as a person, its a very sloppy movie.

also have to say that the stingers are getting so much weaker

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Not a perfect movie by any means, but I enjoyed Doctor Strange quite a bit. The effects were fantastic, and there were some really trippy sequences in there (almost reminded me of '2001: A Space Odyssey).

Interested to see how Strange plays with the rest of the MCU going forward.

I love me some Rachel McAdams.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Spoiler free to begin with...

I thought it was great! Theater wasn't sold out, but def. close to full. Hopefully it does ok this weekend money-wise. It was of course well acted, which should surprise no one considering the heavyweight cast. Although I didn't see the point in having Tilda Swinton play The Ancient One. Anyone could have done that the way it was written/played out. If you're gonna cast Swinton, then have her do something funky with it like only she can. Movie clocks right under 2 hours, so it doesn't drag. It's an origin story, but his origin flows right into the larger plot/conflict with the baddies so that helps.

The visuals are great. Obviously the movie owes alot to Inception, but it takes the folding cityscapes concept to new & different places than what Inception does. Only shame of it is that once it's explained, the stakes involved with these magical actions are lowered a bit.

There are other, trippier visuals unrelated to the cityscapes that are more daring. Unfortunately my screen & sound were not good, so it didn't look as crisp for me as everyone else is saying. Critics are actually recommending seeing this in IMAX 3D, which they rarely do. If you're one who partakes in certain narcotics, this might be the movie for you.

This is one of the most self-contained MCU movies yet, if not the most. You don't need to see any of the prior films, nor do you need to know anything about Dr. Stephen Strange. Sure seeing the other movies helps with some small easter eggs and very short bits of dialogue (as well as one of the TWO end credit cut scenes...yes there are two), but it will not upset your experience if you aren't well versed in the prior films. But then you prolly wouldn't be in this thread then, would you?

Cumberbatch really looks the part, and they get his costume down too. Wong is portrayed accurately. Mordo's journey is different than the comic, but that's ok.

Thought there was just the right amount of humor, with only the modern music stuff falling a little flat, althought it did work with Strange's character, as they went out of their way to show he's a music nerd.

See this flick!

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Some random spoilery thoughts:

- Love that he's going to be in Thor helping him track down Odin & Loki! Makes complete sense and follows comic book tradition too. The bit with the beer was pretty funny.

- Was expecting Dormammu to be made of orange fire like in the comics, but was completely fine with their much more abstract take. CG didn't look great for me, but the screen was pretty shitty, so I'll need to see the movie again to judge accurately.

- Strange's clever way of tricking Dormammu was refreshing in a few ways. First, it was just nice to have a Marvel baddie defeated in a unique way that didn't involve alot of fighting (which also makes sense b/c Strange at this point in his career as a sorcerer would have no realistic chance of defeating fucking Dormammu). But what I really liked was it's callback to the classic Dr. Strange tales & Silver Age comics in general, where clever tricks like this where the norm for how a hero would best a foe. It also worked b/c it was funny, & the crowd def. laughed a good amount at the Groundhog Day nature of what was happening.

- So...the Eye of Agamatto. Pretty cool that it's an Infinity Stone. Prolly should have seen that coming. It's power set was limited to time related things in this movie, but I'm pretty sure it can do a whole lot more. Guess we'll see in the future.

- only easter egg I caught in the movie was the "staff of the Living Tribunal". Really just a cool reference more than anything. When all the good guy sorcerors grabbed weapons toward the end, I would think some of those weapons might be things that nerds would recognize, but I didn't catch any.

- The way the Dark Dimension looked reminded me of the sub-atomic world that Janet Van Dyne fell into in Ant-Man. Maybe Strange will appear in the sequel to help find her there?

- wish they had waited to have Mordo have his heel turn. It was already foreshadowed heavily throughout, I didn't see the need to make it explicit here. Plus his reasoning doesn't really explain why he would go in that direction. Ah well.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 11-05-2016 at 03:22 AM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Spoiler Alert: THIS MOVIE WILL KILL YOUR SOUL A LITTLE BIT MORE.

In a nutshell: The first half of the film is good enough (not bad), and then the second half strips away all the goodwill the first half built up.

Steven Strange begins the film as the biggest asshole on Earth. A certain scene with him and Rachel McAdams' character is particularly powerful due to Strange's incredible assholeness.

Speaking of McAdams' character. She isn't used for much more than reacting to things. Jumping at frights. Screaming. Crying. Her character has some great personality points when she's given something to say beyond "oh my god, what's happening?".

The jokes almost all fall flat.... especially the ones involving the Asian library master.

The opening sequence of the movie is ridiculous for one reason: the way that someone is killed in a very specific way has no bearing on anything else in the film. There is no reason why he should be killed in such a seemingly special way.

Marvel took Tony Stark's assholery and amped it up by 100 with Strange. There are other parallels: Strange driving his fancy car and being uber-rich. Marvel copied the mixtape format of Guardians of the Galaxy for one of the early scenes. I enjoyed the rip offs of Tony Stark and Guardians strangely enough.

This movie also rips Inception big time for its action sequences.

The bad guy and the final boss bad guy are just so damn weak. They are so weak that it becomes apparent that this film is simply a Dr. Strange character vehicle or just simply a big movie-length advertisement for Dr. Strange.

The special effects are bullshit. Mere eye candy that doesn't really serve any other purpose. The mirror world sure. But, the folding of buildings and shape shifting of landscapes? Why is it even necessary? Why go through all that trouble? Why do u need to kill an enemy by folding a building over her/him? There are numerous other more simple ways people are defeated in this film. no need for all this landscape morphing bullshit.

I wanted to watch a film - not a 3D special effects tech demo.

Then.... there are the life lessons.... The Ancient One gives Strange a very important life lesson but never elaborates on it.... so you're left hanging...

why didn't the bad guy just steal the whole book instead of ripping out 2 pages? there are so many sloppy elements in this film. The writers were just like " ok let's throw some non-sensical goofy shit into half the scenes. It's not even funny, but our MARVEL AUDIENCE IS PRIMED to laugh anyways, so they will.... because they have been indoctrinated into the MARVEL "BRAND" of humour....

Dr. Strange (4/10)

comparison: Ant Man (8/10), Iron Man (10/10)

IMO some people give Marvel too much credit. They bat .500. Half of Marvel movies are crap. Gratefully, half are really good.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 11-06-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I liked Dr Strange a lot more than I thought I was going to. Chiwetel Ejiofor was the MVP. Rachel McAdams is a patient sweetheart. The movie felt like it flew by too.
    Last edited by Swykk; 11-06-2016 at 02:27 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I just seen the film today. Hands down far and away probably my favorite Marvel film aside from Guardians of the Galaxy. The pacing was good to me and it felt like a constant buildup after he tapped into his powers. The entire fight scene involving Kaecilius was like a constant threat. The scenes after his first initial confrontation with Strange in the NYC Sanctum trickled out and down so easily it felt like the entire last half of the film was one giant struggle. The action and threat never let up. It was done so seamlessly from fight to fight, there really was no breathing room. I dug that approach.

Both roles were played marvelously by Cumberbatch and Mikkelsen. No actor or portrayal felt out of place or miscast. Great time. I had fun watching it!
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 11-13-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Oh wow I never came in here to mention that I adored Doctor Strange and consider it my most-enjoyed MCU film! I tend to talk really negatively overall of the franchise here and hate that I do so since I want to like more of it than I tend to, so I felt like sharing some positivity about something other than Daredevil would be refreshing coming out of me. Loved the cast, thought the visuals were wonderful, found the whole thing to be a lot more creative and exciting than I was expecting it to be. I wanted them to go all-in on the cosmic weirdness of Strange and worried they wouldn't, but they totally did, and I was happily, blissfully surprised. Reminded me how I felt when I went to see the first Iron Man, all those years ago.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    A new Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Trailer will air tomorrow during the ACC Championship game.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    HOLY SHIT JAMES GUNN JUST DROPPED IT ON FACEBOOK!

https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

OMG LITTLE GROOT!

SCREW YOU, SPACESHIP!
    Last edited by marodi; 12-03-2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: I am Groot

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Drax had me laughing so hard it hurt at the end there.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Batista is hilarious. I'm so glad he decided to ditch the WWE and just do movies. I was dying when he laugh yet it was Baby Groot that stole the show. He's so adorable. How can anyone not love him?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Do you know what's even more awesome than Baby Groot?

Angry (most likely slightly murderous) Baby Groot, dressed in a Star-Lord costume!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Close, it's his own Ravagers outfit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Last night I saw Doctor Strange. I liked it. Some really great visual sequences. About halfway through, I realized who Doctor Strange sounds like...... Tom Selleck. Not everytime he speaks, but most of the time. I did some searching, and apparently, Tom Selleck was considered to play Doctor Strange in the early 80s in a film that never happened.
    https://twitter.com/notrivia/status/275314507885187073

From this book:
    https://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Comics...an+howe+marvel
    Last edited by Findus; 12-07-2016 at 03:52 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

OK, this looks pretty fucking cool and I'm fucking sold on Tom Holland as Spider-Man.