Page 9 of 137 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Hugh Jackman wants Wolverine to join the Avengers

Should he get his wish, the nergasm would kill me.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The problem with Spider-Man or Wolverine joining the Avengers, beyond the obvious interference from Sony/Fox, is that everyone involved would have to work extra hard to make sure that the movie doesn't become the Spider-Man/Wolverine Show. Those two are characters that we expect to see solo, even if Wolverine ostensibly appears in X-Men movies (the original trilogy is The Wolverine Show all the way through). There's none of the cross-pollination we've seen with the other Avengers, and Spider-Man and Wolverine have had too many movies each at this point. It just wouldn't work.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Just finished a re-watch of The Avengers. Kinda want a shawarma now.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So...regarding the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Finale...

Spoiler: When Fury says "I'll be everywhere" and then lifts up his eye patch, does that mean he's got one of those eye-device things in his head?

I just binge watched the whole season over the past few days. Having seen The Winter Soldier and the back half of the season, I can see why the first half was sort of vanilla. I'm glad I was patient! I can't wait for season 2.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    BOO!!!! Fucking studio executives.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I wonder what the issues were.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'm surely in the minority but I'm happy, or at least indifferent that Wright's left. I had a feeling it was going to be Shane Black all over again. Talented and fun director who was going to go overboard, because that's what he does, and that's what makes him great, but not the right fit for this kind of film. I suppose it's too much to hope for that the creative differences were Marvel wanting to make it more connected, and more of a proper follow up to AoU? Even still, I can't see the project dropping in quality as a result of this. Maybe I'm wrong and I'll be begging for Wright's Ant-Man when all is said and done, but I don't see anything to get torn up about at this point.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    The release date being pushed up makes me think that his vision of the film didn't quite line up with what Marvel wanted to tell in the wake of Avengers 2.

I think a lot of the disappointment comes in the fact that Wright had been working on this project in some form for years and years, before even Iron Man was out. So, he probably had a very specific view of the film going in, and then as the MCU grew around it, maybe he found that he didn't want to work in the constraints of the universe.

We'll probably never know, and that's fine. So long as they get a good, competent replacement, it doesn't matter all that much.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post
    Talented and fun director who was going to go overboard, because that's what he does, and that's what makes him great, but not the right fit for this kind of film. I suppose it's too much to hope for that the creative differences were Marvel wanting to make it more connected, and more of a proper follow up to AoU? Even still, I can't see the project dropping in quality as a result of this.
    Yeah, after something like eight years of him working on this under the watchful eye of a major media corporation, in a tightly-controlled division under Kevin Feige, three weeks before shooting began someone realized "OH HEY, this guy that makes flashy movies is going to make a flashy movie, like he did with literally all the other movies that comprise the resume that earned him this position in the first place. HOW DID WE NOT REALIZE—!" and Edgar Wright was freaking out, throwing chairs and shit, "WHY won't you huge blockbuster fucks just let me do whatever the hell I want? Serving the material and not "going overboard" is just fucking fascist corporate bullshit!"

That must be it. Marvel hired a horse and then when the horse showed up to the race track, having been paid, trained, and cared-for by Marvel, they realized, "Oh sorry, I meant I wanted a duck."

EDIT: Anyway: the veracity of it can't really be attested, but there is this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Latino Review
    The prep on this film has been forever and it was impossible to be behind schedule because the entire production was out on hiatus by Marvel for duration of the script's rewrite. Families left homes to work on the movie in Atlanta and were now suddenly in limbo.

So about the rewrite...

About 3 months ago, Marvel had notes. The meat of the notes were about the core morality of the piece, must include franchise characters. etc., These notes came from the big four at Marvel. Joe Cornish and Edgar Wright did two drafts to try and answer the notes without compromising their vision.

6 weeks ago Marvel took the script off them and gave the writing assignment to two very low credit writers. One of the writers were from Marvel's in house writing team. Edgar stayed cool, agreed to stay on the project, and read the draft.

The script came in this week and was completely undone. Poorer, homogenized, and not Edgar's vision. Edgar met with Marvel on Friday to formally exit and the announcement went out directly after.

Edgar & Joe were upset by the sudden, out of nowhere lack of faith in them as filmmakers. Fiege had always batted for them but this felt like it came from the higher ups.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/ex...t-over-ant-man
    EDIT2: And this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Latino Review again
    BREAKING

More bad news this holiday weekend. According to sources, award winning writer/director Drew Goddard has left Marvel's Daredevil. Due to the fact that it is a holiday, calls to his reps at UTA can't be returned till Tuesday at the earliest. Goddard was supposed to write and direct the first episode of Daredevil, while also serving as series Showrunner and Executive Producer for the 13-episode series premiering on Netflix in 2015.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/ex...vels-daredevil
    EDIT3:

https://twitter.com/josswhedon/statu...41319831363584
    Last edited by Corvus T. Cosmonaut; 05-25-2014 at 02:02 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Doctor Strange has a director. Scott Derrickson.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119076

About the only decent thing of his output was probably Sinister the horror/thriller film with Ethan Hawke....other than that this guy doesn't have a lot to show for himself other than crap.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Jared Leto as Doctor Strange?

Well, I'd like it better than mister I-Has-No-Neck as Gambit!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Yeah I think I'd be cool with that. He's a good actor, and maybe not the guy you'd imagine for the role, but it could certainly work.

Other potential options I'd consider would be Matthew Goode, Luke Evans, Joseph Fiennes, Aiden Gillen, Clive Owen, Jim Cavaziel, or Vincent Cassel but Hugh Lawrie or Javier Bardem would be my top choices.
    Last edited by AgentofChaos; 06-04-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Finally saw Winter Soldier and really enjoyed it! Falcon had some cool moments.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    So aside from the Avengers 2 trailer previewed, the Marvel panel at SDCC was rather anti-climatic. Here's what little was announced:

*Ant-Man starts filming next month
    *Corey Stoll will play Yellowjacket and Evangeline Lilly as the Wasp
    *Buuuuut Lilly is playing Hank and Janet's daughter (wtf Marvel?)
    *Josh Brolin announced as Thanos (I thought this was already confirmed?)
    *Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will come out July 28, 2017

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    They showed Ant-Man footage too, didn't they? Something like test footage.

It was a little less than I expected, though - no confirmation of Dr. Strange, for one. Guardians 2 being confirmed is great, though. I can't wait to see it next week.

Ant-Man is going to be an incredibly loose adaptation based on what we've heard - more loose than any previous film, it seems. I think that will give them plenty of room to really run with what they've got, and they've got a tall hill to climb with a superhero named Ant-Man, whose primary ability in most peoples' minds is riding ants around and being tiny. I'm very, very excited about Evangeline Lilly, though. This movie's got a great cast already.

Marvel never confirmed Josh Brolin, as far as I remember. They have this thing where an actor is confirmed for months all around the web, but they only do it when they originally planned to. Unless it's some sort of legal thing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    My buddy says the Ultron footage was fuckin awesome. *prays it comes online

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    The smart thing to do is drop it before the GOTG movie.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    The smart thing to do is drop it before the GOTG movie.
    Or as the post credit scene like the did with the first avenger.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Well, I'll find out Thursday.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I just watched the panel and Josh Brolin demanding a rose from Robert Downey Jr. and subsequently eating it was probably the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i did a xmen marathon this past week and rewatched everything from front to back. never saw days of future past in theaters, waiting to get my hands on a good rip.

edit: captain americas are next with guardians being seen this upcoming week
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 08-08-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Two things.

1. The Incredible Hulk's deleted scenes are the most extensive I've ever seen. They must have been really concerned with not replicating 2003 Hulk's awful pacing, because there's over an hour of shit that's been cut here, including like half an hour of interaction between Bruce and Leonard Samson that wasn't even hinted at in the final version.

2. How would everyone rank the Marvel Studios films? This is how I would:

1. The Avengers
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy
    3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    4. Iron Man
    5. Iron Man 3
    6. The Incredible Hulk
    7. Thor: The Dark World
    8. Thor
    9. Iron Man 2
    10. Captain America: The First Avenger

Those last three are sort of interchangeable, and so are 2 through 4, really.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    1. The Avengers
    2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    3. GotG
    4. Iron Man
    5. Thor: The Dark World
    6. Thor
    7. The Incredible Hulk
    8. Captain America: The First Avenger
    9. Iron Man 2 (too much comedy. while very funny, it took me out of the movie & made everything that was supposed to appear dire in the movie seem unimportant)
    10. Iron Man 3 (nonsensical movie where I had a hard time following the bad guy's plans were, too much comedy again, Iron Man calling out the villains to attack him made no sense, and his trek across America was fucking stupid.)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    1. GOTG
    2. The Avengers
    3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    4. Iron man
    5. Captain America: The First Avenger
    6. Iron man 3
    7. Thor
    8. The Incredible Hulk
    9. Thor: the Dark World
    10. Iron Man 2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Guardians
    Winter Soldier
    Avengers
    Thor
    Thor 2
    Iron Man
    Iron Man 3
    Captain America
    Iron Man 2

Haven't seen Incredible Hulk, I hated the 2003 movie so much that I can't bring myself to watch it. Seriously, Hulk is still the only movie I've ever walked out on.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This series has got to be my favorite series of movies now , I don't think there's been one terrible movie yet. For the longest time doc was my favorite but since reading marvel unlimited and immersing myself in the marvel lore I've become obsessed, mainly with Thanos and guardians of the galaxy. Thank you marvel for making movies that I cherish so much now

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    Guardians
    Winter Soldier
    Avengers
    Thor
    Thor 2
    Iron Man
    Iron Man 3
    Captain America
    Iron Man 2

Haven't seen Incredible Hulk, I hated the 2003 movie so much that I can't bring myself to watch it. Seriously, Hulk is still the only movie I've ever walked out on.
    Gotta give Incredible Hulk a try. Yeah, the 2003 Hulk is a gigantic pile of shit, but the 2008 one did its best to wipe that one away and say "THIS is what Hulk should be." Did they succeed? Maybe. Still irks me when people in the Marvel subreddit say "is incredible hulk in the MCU and if so does that mean 2003 hulk is also in the mcu." But no, give it a watch if you get the opportunity, don't let the 2003 one drag you down.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Gotta give Incredible Hulk a try. Yeah, the 2003 Hulk is a gigantic pile of shit, but the 2008 one did its best to wipe that one away and say "THIS is what Hulk should be." Did they succeed? Maybe. Still irks me when people in the Marvel subreddit say "is incredible hulk in the MCU and if so does that mean 2003 hulk is also in the mcu." But no, give it a watch if you get the opportunity, don't let the 2003 one drag you down.
    I was a huge Hulk fan as a kid, and that 2008 Hulk was like something out of my childhood imagination. I absolutely loved the experience of watching it in a theater (so loud!). Haven't watched it since and don't need to, but damn it was fun

just saw guardians last night, and that was the most fun I've had with a Marvel movie since the Hulk (and its undoubtedly a better movie). the marvel movies tend to be pretty hit or miss for me, but Guardians, Cap2 and Hulk were all A+ in my book.