Page 11 of 137 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sorry. I'm really not trying to be an ass. I'm just getting a little worn out by this bombarding of marvel films that it is causing original possibly better films from getting made.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Haha the success of Marvel Studios isn't preventing original movies from being green lit for production.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I really liked the new Agents of Shield. Skye is already more tolerable than she was the entire first season.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Haha the success of Marvel Studios isn't preventing original movies from being green lit for production.
    In some ways, it is certainly slowing them down, actually, as many large studios rush to match the formula in all manner of ways.

I find it immensely funny that Marvel is "Splitting up" the Avengers 3. This is silly on several levels. Like first of all we havent really even seen so much as a clip of the SECOND movie. Also, if it isnt an adapation, is the movie really being "split up"? Arent they just making a fourth movie and wasnt that inevitable anyway? Along with a fifth sixth and so forth?

The vocabulary and market posturing here is so bizarre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it means that it'll just be one story, over two movies.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Didn't know where to put this, but here is a pretty cool CGI Iron Man short http://io9.com/fantastic-iron-man-fa...ium=socialflow

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    Didn't know where to put this, but here is a pretty cool CGI Iron Man short http://io9.com/fantastic-iron-man-fa...ium=socialflow
    I just saw that last night. It's pretty bad ass.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Wait a minute: Spoiler: Agent Cooper is Skye's father? Does it mean that Coulson is heading to Twin Peaks?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Also Spoiler: Simmons is Hydra? Riiiiiiiight. I'll go with Simmons is undercover on Coulson's orders.

Is nobody else excited that Dominic Cooper was confirmed to coming back as Howard Stark in Agent Carter? Is nobody else excited that we also get Edwin Jarvis in the flesh? All we need now is Peggy kicking plenty of asses and lots of HC, especially Dum Dum and it will be perfect.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Word on the street is that theyre finally in talks to incorporate spider man. Which could fix up both ends. It starting to seem like their end game is to expensive for them to sustain. What with all the contractual exclusions and ho hun about which avengers will be avengers any more.

But can they really pull it off without RDJs Iron Man? It seems like they are posturing an entirely new cast, not quite sure how that will hold up. Probably why they want spider man badly enough to play ball.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nvr_mind View Post
    I'm sorry. I'm really not trying to be an ass. I'm just getting a little worn out by this bombarding of marvel films that it is causing original possibly better films from getting made.
    I'm with you 100%. If you would have told me even 10 years ago there would be a time when I was fucking exhausted with comic book movies, I would have scoffed. But here we are. The Marvel formula has really only produced a few interesting movies, almost all of which I've forgotten about basically after I see them, and at best are just the gasps of the exploitative nostalgia machine that is Hollywood at the moment.

Talented filmmakers get stuck in this cycle. Rian Johnson "graduates" from making Looper, a flawed but super interesting, original movie, to Star Wars (owned by Disney, same as Marvel) instead of more original movies. Josh Trank "graduates" from an original attempt at a superhero movie, Chronicle, to fucking Fantastic Four (Marvel, yes I know owned by Fox OH THE TRAGEDY IF ONLY THIS PROPERTY COULD GO TO MARVEL SO THE MOVIE OF IT COULD BE THE SAME AS ALL THE OTHER MARVEL MOVIES). And Joss Whedon... I'm not the biggest fan of this guy, but he had his own style that he saw through, and then he got sucked into the Avengers machine and we lost one of the most original voices into masturbatory fanservice for a decade.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I guess I missed the part of Joss Whedon's career where it wasn't already all about "masturbatory fanservice" anyway.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    I guess I missed the part of Joss Whedon's career where it wasn't already all about "masturbatory fanservice" anyway.
    hahahaha I completely agree, but at least he was trying some interesting things at times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the facepalm. You know, there are a lot of things in the world I have no interest in. A lot of things that don't appeal to me. You know what I do? I ignore them. Funny, huh? I just move on to the stuff I do care about. Seems like a better use of my time. Seems odd to me to spend time paying attention to things that don't interest me.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I'll never understand this thought process of "oversaturation" of something you simply enjoy...

Do people stop reading their favorite comic series because there's too many issues?

Do sports fans get tired of watching the same shit every year? i doubt it.

I also highly doubt Marvel is bullying original films from being made and... please define original? do you just mean not part of an existing franchise? because do you know how many adaptations of short stories, books and theater plays come out every damn year? that ain't original as far as I'm concerned.

Looper? give me a break...I'd hardly even call that original, that's the same old circle jerk of time concepts just spelled slightly different.

If it's art house films you want more of you're probably just looking in all the wrong places for them. Quality over quantity and all that... sure i get it, nobody wants these phoned in like a KMFDM album but c'mon... i find it hard to deny the times we live in right now. Cripes the way some people are these days you'd think they'd rather just not see any movies of anything ever because hey that's just too much of a good thing right?
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 10-08-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I'll never understand this thought process of "oversaturation" of something you simply enjoy...
    I didn't say anything about oversaturation. I referred to the fact that there is limited financing for movies to get made, and this is taking up the money for more original properties. (Now, you could argue that money wouldnt exist at all without the proven nostalgia circle jerk of the comic book movies at the moment, but you didn't.)

Do people stop reading their favorite comic series because there's too many issues?
    Actually, yes, I and other people do. I have limited time and money.

Do sports fans get tired of watching the same shit every year? i doubt it.
    I guess I was hoping for culture that aspired to be more than sports and "the same shit every year"

I also highly doubt Marvel is bullying original films from being made and... please define original? do you just mean not part of an existing franchise? because do you know how many adaptations of short stories, books and theater plays come out every damn year? that ain't original as far as I'm concerned.

Looper? give me a break...I'd hardly even call that original, that's the same old circle jerk of time concepts just spelled slightly different.

If it's art house films you want more of you're probably just looking in all the wrong places for them.
    Ah, we've arrived at the problem. You have bad taste.

EDIT: you know what, that last part wasn't constructive. I'm sorry. However, the refrain about something not being original because it's "spelled slightly different" misses the point. Likewise, you strawman-ed my argument at two points. I never expressed an opinion on adaptations, and you also inferred (pejoratively) that I'm both looking for "art house films" (ah, the lowest common denominator of "elitist" insult) and that I am looking for them in "the wrong place." Neither of those, if true, have anything to do with my larger point.

I would rather see an interesting failure like Looper than a franchise-machine designed to sell toys any day. Or, as you put it, "art house films." You apparently disagree. All good.
    Last edited by screwdriver; 10-08-2014 at 09:09 AM.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    EDIT: you know what, that last part wasn't constructive. I'm sorry. However, the refrain about something not being original because it's "spelled slightly different" misses the point. Likewise, you strawman-ed my argument at two points. I never expressed an opinion on adaptations, and you also inferred (pejoratively) that I'm both looking for "art house films" (ah, the lowest common denominator of "elitist" insult) and that I am looking for them in "the wrong place." Neither of those, if true, have anything to do with my larger point.

I would rather see an interesting failure like Looper than a franchise-machine designed to sell toys any day. Or, as you put it, "art house films." You apparently disagree. All good.
    I probably should have composed my post better than i did and quoted where appropriate and while your comments about being exhausted with Marvel films and topics such as directors going from something like Looper to Star Wars inspired my post it was more constructed with a general purpose and not entirely aimed at what you posted.

I've just noticed that people don't even know what they like these days... and that's more frustrating like they don't commit to ANYTHING. They say they're big fans of X or Y and all they do is complain and bitch about it....can't have the cake and eat it.

With all of that said we HAVE seen better years.

Apologies for the derailment. BACK to Marvel...

I for one am looking forward to the Agent Carter and Daredevil shows, i really hope they give the latter a good neo-noir feel.
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 10-08-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    I probably should have composed my post better than i did and quoted where appropriate and while your comments about being exhausted with Marvel films and topics such as directors going from something like Looper to Star Wars inspired my post it was more constructed with a general purpose and not entirely aimed at what you posted.

I've just noticed that people don't even know what they like these days... and that's more frustrating like they don't commit to ANYTHING. They say they're big fans of X or Y and all they do is complain and bitch about it....can't have the cake and eat it.

With all of that said we HAVE seen better years.

Apologies for the derailment. BACK to Marvel...

I for one am looking forward to the Agent Carter and Daredevil shows, i really hope they give the latter a good neo-noir feel.
    I would LOVE for the daredevil show to live up to the promise of its cast. Jeph Loeb inspires slightly less faith from me than Goyer these days, though. but I am definitely planning on checking it out. Also Iron Fist is going to be part of that, right? YES.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Any of y'all want an Inhumans movie? Btw I think the defender tv series will be awesome.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I saw this today!!! The Civil War storyline? UUUNNNNNGGGGGGHHHHHH

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Meanwhile, Sony is in talks to sell the rights to Spiderman back to Marvel, so guess who may show up in Avengers 3...

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Not much of a Civil War movie without the X-Men.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Ugh, Fox won't let them out of sight after DOFP...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I can't believe they are going for Civil War. There are so many characters that have not yet been introduced into the MCU and, like Orestes said, they also need the X-Men and who knows how the talks between Sony and Marvel are going to end...

We did have a hint that they were going for the death of Captain America but it can be done without the Civil War story line which, in my opinion wasn't very good to begin with.

Isn't cloned Thor in Civil War? How are they going to explain that one? I'm feeling a big mess in the making.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Can anyone brief me about the supposed chronological order of this universe's films? Or can I just stick to the release date order and be fine?

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    @marodi Yes, Thor's cyborg clone, Ragnarok, created by Stark with the aid of Reed Richards and Hank Pym, is in Civil War. He shows up later in the Siege crossover to fight the real Thor.

Tony's an all-around douche during this time.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Stick to release order, @fillow .

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'm sure the studiios will use just the main storylines and the Spoiler: passing of the secret identities law when making Civil War into movies.

I hope they make the Iron Man - Daredevil ''Judas'' scene a reality.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    I'm sure the studiios will use just the main storylines and the Spoiler: passing of the secret identities law when making Civil War into movies.

I hope they make the Iron Man - Daredevil ''Judas'' scene a reality.
    Talking exclusively of the MCU as we know it now: whose secret identity? Everyone knows who Iron Man is; same for Captain America (they have an exhibit at the Smithsonian about him!); Thor has always been Thor (Donald Blake was only reference as an ex boyfriend of Jane and a temporary identity in the first movie). And, in Winter Soldier, when the Black Widow unloaded all the Shield files on the Internet, she blew her cover and Clint's and, most likely, the fact that the Hulk is Bruce Banner when he's not too angry.

Who is left? I think Rhodes as War Machine is known too. That leaves Sam Wilson as Falcon and possibly Bucky as the Winter Soldier. Right now I really don't understand how they are going to pull this of.

Anyway, I really like this article about the whole thing.

This future movie shall now be know as Captiron Manmerica.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I didn't really think about the state of things in the MCU right now. The main storyline about the passing of the law doesn't really make much sense now. I guess they'll find a reason for the heroes to kick the sh*t out of each other anyway.