Page 50 of 138 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 100 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 4111

Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I've been binge watching Agent Carter S1/2 and I think I know why it may not have connected with the larger Marvel audiences...

A good serial drama but not enough comics tie-in.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I've been binge watching Agent Carter S1/2 and I think I know why it may not have connected with the larger Marvel audiences...

A good serial drama but not enough comics tie-in.
    but also just so good. hayley atwell is incredible and the way the show is stylized is so fun.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    but also just so good. hayley atwell is incredible and the way the show is stylized is so fun.
    Anna, Dottie, Angie, Peggy, Whitney and Rose...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Finally watched Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Just some thoughts while i have them fresh in my mind:
    I loved Tony Stark
    Vulture wings seemed too reminiscent of Gobby's glider to me.
    Michael Keaton was great
    Spidey kicked so much ass in Civil War, handled himself brilliantly but i felt throughout this movie they made him flail and stumble around into happy accidents a bit too much
    Tom Holland didn't really blow me away
    Shocker was lame
    Last edited by thelastdisciple; 10-25-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I already did a mini review in my cinema thread but might as well update this one too.

Thor Ragnarok is a lot of fun, but i didn't enjoy it nearly as much as i hoped i would...i might be finally getting superhero fatigue

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Watched Spider-man: Homecoming

I liked it just fine. A Spider-man I can believe is in high-school was nice. Keaton as Vulture works well and I hope for a killer Sinister Six movie at some point now.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The middle part of Thor is one of the better Marvel movies, Jeff Goldblum is a top 5 villain, great to watch.

The outer parts of Thor can be sometimes bland, I think maimed by Hela, a deeply uninteresting villain made more so by the constrasting energies of Loki and Goldbum. Hela, is awash in a sea of samey throwaway villains, a continuing problem for Marvel that has few exceptions.

Thor is finally made as interesting, or more accurately as fun to watch as his other avenger counterparts. By throwing away the hammer, and focusing on visually awesome lightning powers solving an issue that I wasn't able to put my finger on before.

Really that second act should have been expanded to make the entire movie. The "something something world ending threat" thing is very tired at this point, especially after Spiderman was fresher than that

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Loved Ragnarok. For me, it’s in my Top 5 Marvel films after Civil War, The Avengers, The Winter Soldier, and Iron Man. I could not get enough of Korg.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    The middle part of Thor is one of the better Marvel movies, Jeff Goldblum is a top 5 villain, great to watch.

The outer parts of Thor can be sometimes bland, I think maimed by Hela, a deeply uninteresting villain made more so by the constrasting energies of Loki and Goldbum. Hela, is awash in a sea of samey throwaway villains, a continuing problem for Marvel that has few exceptions.

Thor is finally made as interesting, or more accurately as fun to watch as his other avenger counterparts. By throwing away the hammer, and focusing on visually awesome lightning powers solving an issue that I wasn't able to put my finger on before.

Really that second act should have been expanded to make the entire movie. The "something something world ending threat" thing is very tired at this point, especially after Spiderman was fresher than that
    So you’re saying wait till a rental?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    So you’re saying wait till a rental?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would say yes if you’re wanting a typical action packed/drama filled superhero film that we’ve all become used to. There isn’t much action. This is more of a buddy comedy. I absolutely loved it since it had much of the dry humor I’ve come to know from Taika Waititi from his time with Flight of the Conchords on HBO and What We Do In The Shadows. It’s definitely not your typical Marvel film. I will be seeing it again though.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Saw it opening night and I really liked it overall. It was very funny very often, but I was a little concerned early on in the movie that it was perhaps going to be too silly and jokey. I would say that it came close, but didn't quite cross that line. I think the main thing is that it's a bit of a dramatic shift in tone from the previous films (this is apparent immediately) and I wondered if it was appropriate for Thor as the already-established character that we know him as in the MCU. I understand that the Thor franchise in particular hasn't had the most solid track record of movies in the MCU thus far and maybe needed to reinvent itself and not take itself as seriously to maintain the interest of the audience, but they really made it a lot like the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, which have a very unique tone, style, and sense of humor in the superhero genre. That may no longer be the case. But maybe it's not such a bad thing either, since I found Ragnarok to be much better than The Dark World and it might even be the most entertaining of the three. It's easily the funniest.

So... Spoiler: Thor only has one eye now. Did anyone see that coming?! I sure didn't. For some reason, I kept waiting for them to somehow fix it. Maybe Dr. Strange will fix it with the Time Stone? I think I read somewhere that Chris Hemsworth said that Thor will still be sans-right eye when Infinity War rolls around, but all of the marketing materials for that film depict Thor with two eyes like normal. Could it be misdirection to avoid spoilers and maintain the surprise? Or perhaps he gets it back somehow in that film?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I could not get enough of Korg.
    Poor guy just didn't have enough pamphlets.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Poor guy just didn't have enough pamphlets.
    I saw it again today. I think the reason I loved it so much was because it felt on like it was out of the Flight of the Conchords universe. It makes sense the director worked on a few episodes.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    God, that was an excellent way to spend a couple hours. It wasn't Hamlet (hey, Kenneth?) but it didn't need to be. It's a Marvel movie ffs.

Spoiler: The little play at the beginning was just aces. There was a trailer for Downsizing right before the film started so that little cameo (no pun intended) was extra hilarious. I loved that they had Sam Neill (who was in Waititi's last movie) as Odin and Chris Hemsworth's brother Luke as Thor. Also, was it because I just finished The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul that I thought putting Odin in a home was a nod to Douglas Adams?

Stayed for the credits scenes. The first one was a whole lot of wtf and the second one was great. "Let's call it a tie."

So concerning the 'fake' room of trophies: Spoiler: I get that it explains away the infinity gauntlet from the first Thor movie but what about the other stones that were in there? Granted I lost count of them all and their current locations but I am pretty sure that at least one of them is with the Collector and yet it was in there and Loki seemed to be happy to see it. Wouldn't he be able to tell if it were fake?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    God, that was an excellent way to spend a couple hours. It wasn't Hamlet (hey, Kenneth?) but it didn't need to be. It's a Marvel movie ffs.

Spoiler: The little play at the beginning was just aces. There was a trailer for Downsizing right before the film started so that little cameo (no pun intended) was extra hilarious. I loved that they had Sam Neill (who was in Waititi's last movie) as Odin and Chris Hemsworth's brother Luke as Thor. Also, was it because I just finished The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul that I thought putting Odin in a home was a nod to Douglas Adams?

Stayed for the credits scenes. The first one was a whole lot of wtf and the second one was great. "Let's call it a tie."

So concerning the 'fake' room of trophies: Spoiler: I get that it explains away the infinity gauntlet from the first Thor movie but what about the other stones that were in there? Granted I lost count of them all and their current locations but I am pretty sure that at least one of them is with the Collector and yet it was in there and Loki seemed to be happy to see it. Wouldn't he be able to tell if it were fake?
    As far as i can remember, the teserect was the only Infinity Stone in Asgard. One went to the collector (because they didn't want to keep more then one in Asgard) from Thor the Dark World and is probably still there after the 3rd destroyed his collection in GOTG, the 3rd is now in Nova Corps hands and the forth one's in Visions head. I'm not sure where the other 2 are.

Also, shit i didn't notice those cameos!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Glad everyone seem's to be lovin' it, even if i didn't as much as everyone else.

Quick question...where's Sif? Last i saw she delivered the 2nd infinity stone to the collector and was in agents of Shield for a few episodes, but she wasn't anywhere in Ragarok?!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    As far as i can remember, the teserect was the only Infinity Stone in Asgard. One went to the collector (because they didn't want to keep more then one in Asgard) from Thor the Dark World and is probably still there after the 3rd destroyed his collection in GOTG, the 3rd is now in Nova Corps hands and the forth one's in Visions head. I'm not sure where the other 2 are.

Also, shit i didn't notice those cameos!
    You're right.

The Tesseract (Space Stone): in Asgard's Vault Spoiler: Loki does steal it at the end of the film

The Aether (Reality Stone): sent to the Collector by Odin/Loki at the end of The Dark World. Presumably still in his possession.

The Orb (Power Stone): Nova Corps Vault at the end of GotG

Loki's Scepter (Mind Stone): Vision's forehead (Age of Ultron)

The Eye of Agamotto (Space Stone): Kamar-Taj Library/Doctor Strange.

Still Missing: the Soul Stone.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Soul Stone in Black Panther? That's just wrong.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    The Tesseract (Space Stone): in Asgard's Vault Spoiler: Loki does steal it at the end of the film
    Really? I don't remember that. Did they show it or was it implied?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Soul Stone in Black Panther? That's just wrong.
    LOL! But so right at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Really? I don't remember that. Did they show it or was it implied?
    Spoiler: It is heavily implied in Ragnarok but in the scenes from Avengers Infinity War that were shown at Comic Con, Loki is seen giving up the Tesseract to someone, presumably Thanos.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Oh, my God. The hammer pulled you off?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The delivery on that line was perfect. Even better is the slang went over a lot of heads. Sadly the orgy lines didn't...that could have been handled a little differently. There were audible gasps in the crowd.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The delivery on that line was perfect. Even better is the slang went over a lot of heads.
    I noticed that too. I probably laughed the loudest in the nearly full theater at that line. Nearly burst in my seat.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    Glad everyone seem's to be lovin' it, even if i didn't as much as everyone else.

Quick question...where's Sif? Last i saw she delivered the 2nd infinity stone to the collector and was in agents of Shield for a few episodes, but she wasn't anywhere in Ragarok?!
    the actress that plays her is busy with her stupid show so i'm guessing that, rather than replacing her with another actress, they just didn't include her character. it's a shame, because she was one of my favorite parts of the MCU.

i saw the movie this afternoon and loved it. a solid MCU film with the wonderfully dry humor of taika waititi. all of the jokes landed and none of them felt forced, unlike guardians 2. also, love that mark mothersbaugh did the score.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    As I said, I was really nervous going into this about the comedy. But I echo what most have said above and everywhere else that they really nailed it, and toed the line correctly. There was ALOT of it, but it was mostly very clever and worked. I also understand Marvel's PoV of the franchise...the last two did ok but not great, and were very serious affairs for the most part. So what can we do to make this one more successful? And they decided to go with a more lighthearted story, and it clearly was the right choice.

Random Thoughts both positive & negative (SPOILERS!!!!):

- Surtur is one of my favorite comic book villains ever, and def. my fave Thor villain. I had no idea he was in it prior to watching, and then when his usage actually mattered in the end (not that the comedic bit at the beginning wasnt funny), I loved it even more.

- I thought the flippant, quick deaths of the Warriors Three (and barely an explanation as to where the fuck Sif was) was disrespectful & handled poorly. I understand they wanted/needed to get them off the board & used them to show us how strong Hella was, and I'm fine with that. Just the way they did it was really rude to the characters and fans.

- That is NOT the true personality of the character Korg, but goddamn was he funny. CGI looked pretty good too.

- Alba's complaints about how he was used in this are odd to me. He was in it plenty imo, and his character had a very important role to play. There's only so much screen time to go around.

- Sir Anthony Hopkins must have given them a tiny time limit on how much he was willing to do in this haha.

- The Beta Ray Bill, Man-Thing, Ares & fucking BI-BEAST easter eggs on the tower was fun.

- The Jack Kirby influence could be seen all over this thing:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/10/20/thor-ragnarok-jack-kirby-influences/

- That was some PEAK Jeff Goldblum we got in there huh?

- Cate Blanchett chewing the scenery as Hella was great, and really the only way to portray the character in just one movie.

- I thought the girl cast for Valkyrie was a terrible decision. I didn't believe her once the whole movie. SHould have cast a taller, bigger, stronger looking woman.

- couldn't help but think of GoT throughout this thing. Between the comedic play with all the cameos, Odin standing on that cliff, etc

- The Dr. Strange scene was alot of fun. Always gonna get behind them doing anything to tie the properties together.

- Loved when Thor was slumped down on the throne to almost exactly resemble this classic comic image:

- The Thor/Hulk fight delivered. No holding back there. And Loki's reaction when he first saw Hulk? Gold.

- Bruce dressing up/impersonating Tony was great.

Overall, Marvel & the director deserve alot of credit for throwing all these different things together in one movie and making it work. You had to continue through from the first two movies story, include the Hella story & combine it w/Planet Hulk (remixed & abridged, but nonetheless), as well as incorporate Surtur and make it a cohesive Ragnarok story. Then throw in the Strange scene and any references to the Avengers, the stones & Thanos. Tricky, but they stuck the landing.

Oh, and I'm getting this in the mail free from Fandango as an 11x17 heavy card stock print:

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    - Alba's complaints about how he was used in this are odd to me. He was in it plenty imo, and his character had a very important role to play. There's only so much screen time to go around.
    took me a while to figure out that you meant Elba, as in Idris Elba. he had complaints about his character in the movie? that's too bad, because he was great. it was such a delight when he finally showed up and i appreciated every moment he was on screen.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Whoa, that's some Haz-level analysis right there

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Whoa, that's some Haz-level analysis right there
    how dare you!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    @bobbie solo your post has sold me, I will check this out.