Page 55 of 137 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 4092

Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I've been ready for this for so very, very long.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I've been ready for this for so very, very long.
    Deadpool 2? Or Venom?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Venom. Been a fan since the early days, the comics where he made his first return and Peter beat him on a beach were some of my very first comics as a wee boy.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Venom. Been a fan since the early days, the comics where he made his first return and Peter beat him on a beach were some of my very first comics as a wee boy.
    Venom has been a favorite of mine since back in the early '90s as well. I didn't have many comic books with him in them (mostly read Spider-Man and X-Men), but the Maximum Carnage series was a personal favorite of mine back in the day. I used to collect the Marvel cards and got the "super rare" Spider-Man vs. Venom hologram card (pictured below) in a pack of cards and my friends were super jealous, so that was my prized possession for a little while. Still have it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    God damn, Marvel is hot right now. Ragnarok was great, I have no doubt Black Panther will be one of my favorite Marvel films ever, Infinity War is finally here, everything down the pipeline for the next couple YEARS looks solid so far...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    First trailer tomorrow.

Is Spiderman in this? No? Really? You're making a Venom movie with no Spiderman? Oh ok, no thanks.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Man, I have been waiting for this Venom thing to not happen. I love venom but he isn't a great build around... Doing it without Spiderman and Marvel is sheer idiocy. I can't believe it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Is Spiderman in this? No? Really? You're making a Venom movie with no Spiderman? Oh ok, no thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    God damn, Marvel is hot right now. Ragnarok was great, I have no doubt Black Panther will be one of my favorite Marvel films ever, Infinity War is finally here, everything down the pipeline for the next couple YEARS looks solid so far...
    No interest in even waiting to see the trailer before passing judgement? I mean, yes, a Venom movie without Spider-Man seems hard to pull off, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic about this movie at least until I see the trailer tomorrow. If nothing else, it has Tom Hardy starring in it and he has yet to really let me down. Although Sony being at the helm doesn't exactly inspire a great deal of confidence...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    fuck yeah. i'm glad they're setting up for both exploration of past and dealing with a current problem, which will probably tie together somehow.

really didn't think that song fit the mood of the trailer, though. that was a bit odd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love J Jones, she is my favourite Marvel character right after The Punisher. Deadpool 2 and Jessica Jones Trailers on the same day is better than Christmas really

Best,
    Hannah

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    First trailer tomorrow.

Gotta say i really like that poster. Now whether the film is any good is anyone's guess, i hope it is good (i'll be seeing it regardless).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    No interest in even waiting to see the trailer before passing judgement? I mean, yes, a Venom movie without Spider-Man seems hard to pull off, but I'll remain cautiously optimistic about this movie at least until I see the trailer tomorrow. If nothing else, it has Tom Hardy starring in it and he has yet to really let me down. Although Sony being at the helm doesn't exactly inspire a great deal of confidence...
    Oh shit, I forgot that if I say something on the internet, it can't be changed or swayed and will forever be written in stone.

Objectively speaking, Marvel is bigger this year than it's ever been, as far as films go. Maybe the Venom trailer drops and it looks like utter dog piss. I'll be the first to say it. But SO FAR, it SEEMS like it isn't unreasonable to say that the creative company with FIVE MOVIES coming out this year (Deadpool 2, Venom, Infinity War, Black Panther, Ant Man and the Wasp) is doing pretty okay. Maybe it'll all turn out to be shit, who knows. But for this moment, things look okay.

One might even say they're getting so big that they're bound to have a failure sooner or later. Hmm.

Sidenote: Some of the clickbait hype is downright silly, though. "DID WE SEE 1/4 OF CAPTAIN MARVEL'S LOGO IN THE BACKGROUND BEHIND CAPTAIN AMERICA'S ARM IN THE NEW COMMERCIAL FOR INFINITY WAR???" Calm down. Marvel is gearing up for the endgame that every single movie for a decade has been leading to. It's their "all the warriors" fight. Yeah, they just might have her appear in Infinity War if they want to.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Venom poster = 80085

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Really excited to see the trailer for this mainly because my only two real concerns would be a) the design of Venom and b) that this already has a trailer coming out. This movie is happening way to fast IMHO and I hope it doesn't feel rushed. On the other hand I won't believe Tom Hardy buys into a lackluster cash-grab, if it doesn't have any redeeming quality to it.

But yeah, look at Hardy, two of the most prolific comic book villains that he has played. Bane and Venom. Hats off!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I agree the speed of this is a bit worrying. Also Sony hasn't exactly been on their A for superhero movies for a number of years (last years Spiderman needed Marvel and Disney to step in just to get it right) but i'll keep and open mind to this.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    And here it is:

Nothing to be seen here actually. I like the tone and the music, but there's not much to see for any judgement.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    ...well that reveals nothing Are we alien symbiote or man made symbiote? Interesting for spidey/venom fans but as far as teasers have been of late...fairly bland.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ, FIRE WHOEVER IS PUTTING THE 5 SECOND TONE-KILLING PREROLL AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR TRAILERS. IT'S LITERALLY ALREADY A TRAILER. IT DOESN'T NEED A MINI TRAILER AT THE START. FUCK. *cough*

Anyway, yeah. Nothing to really glean from that, huh? It doesn't look bad, doesn't look outstanding either. Which is a shame, because for something like this, you would think you'd want to hit the ground running with a knockout trailer with some kind of hook, but I guess not this time?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Venom has been a favorite of mine since back in the early '90s as well. I didn't have many comic books with him in them (mostly read Spider-Man and X-Men), but the Maximum Carnage series was a personal favorite of mine back in the day. I used to collect the Marvel cards and got the "super rare" Spider-Man vs. Venom hologram card (pictured below) in a pack of cards and my friends were super jealous, so that was my prized possession for a little while. Still have it.
    I HAD THAT TOO! I remember bending the card packs and feeling around the sides to see if I could find one that was a little off, had something thicker inside.

A lot of people have missed the memo on this, but you've got Venom comics that don't involve Spidey at all which date back to the mid-90's. He has a few different rogues of his own, his own occasional supporting cast members...heck, his solo adventures started with him moving to San Fran to be away from Spidey. Since then the symbiote's changed hosts three times (it only came back to Brock recently, after being away for 13 real-time years), been in the Thunderbolts, joined the Guardians of the Galaxy, gone to space...Venom's got his own bag these days. We're way past the days where he was just a doppelganger figure trying to eat Spidey's brain.

As to the trailer itself, well, I was expecting to be teased with 0.5 seconds of Venom and not just 0.5 seconds of symbiote, but they've included Ann Weying, Eddie's ex-wife, and I know there's a few specific Venom events they're taking inspiration from for this film (Spoiler: Lethal Protector (Eddie's reading a paper that mentions "The Life Foundation" in one screengrab out there) and Planet Of The Symbiotes! And it looks like they're incorporating his cancer too?).

As a Venom fan, I'm really, really encouraged by what I'm seeing.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I HAD THAT TOO! I remember bending the card packs and feeling around the sides to see if I could find one that was a little off, had something thicker inside.

A lot of people have missed the memo on this, but you've got Venom comics that don't involve Spidey at all which date back to the mid-90's. He has a few different rogues of his own, his own occasional supporting cast members...heck, his solo adventures started with him moving to San Fran to be away from Spidey. Since then the symbiote's changed hosts three times (it only came back to Brock recently, after being away for 13 real-time years), been in the Thunderbolts, joined the Guardians of the Galaxy, gone to space...Venom's got his own bag these days. We're way past the days where he was just a doppelganger figure trying to eat Spidey's brain.

As to the trailer itself, well, I was expecting to be teased with 0.5 seconds of Venom and not just 0.5 seconds of symbiote, but they've included Ann Weying, Eddie's ex-wife, and I know there's a few specific Venom events they're taking inspiration from for this film (Spoiler: Lethal Protector (Eddie's reading a paper that mentions "The Life Foundation" in one screengrab out there) and Planet Of The Symbiotes! And it looks like they're incorporating his cancer too?).
    Yes, and I've read alot of those comics, most notably Lethal Protector. When I was like 15. over 20 years ago. His solo stories haven't exactly permeated the zeitgeist. For a major studio tentpole project, wouldn't it make ALOT more sense to tie it to Spidey, the 1st or 2nd most popular character in comics? Esepcially since Spidey is always going to be a part of his origin to people? Thats what people want to see. These movies need to be chock full of comic book characters. THis looks like it's just going to be Venom. Lame.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Yes, and I've read alot of those comics, most notably Lethal Protector. When I was like 15. over 20 years ago. His solo stories haven't exactly permeated the zeitgeist. For a major studio tentpole project, wouldn't it make ALOT more sense to tie it to Spidey, the 1st or 2nd most popular character in comics? Esepcially since Spidey is always going to be a part of his origin to people? Thats what people want to see. These movies need to be chock full of comic book characters. THis looks like it's just going to be Venom. Lame.
    Not especially. You can go to any Hot Topic or Wal-Mart and the odds of seeing a black Venom T-shirt in with the comic apparel are pretty good (I've owned two in my lifetime). Maybe none of his stories in particular are famous the way some Spidey stories might be, but the character himself certainly has permeated the zeitgeist, as you say. This movie wouldn't have left the ground unless that had happened, and it's been in development hell for years.

And the reason you think this is lame is evident in your line of reasoning - that you consider him as a character who's fundamentally tied to Spider-Man. I say no; he's hit a such a level of cultural awareness and popularity that there's no reason to assume he couldn't strike out on his own. You don't get Doctor Octopus or Lizard T-shirts sold at Wal-mart or whathaveyou.

The argument against the film that he needs Spidey to stand on his own feet - intrinsically tied to the notion "he's just a Spider-Man cast member", a notion long since past, is one I see come up time and time and time again, and it's only ever brought up by people familiar with comics. I don't think Joe Public really cares, and will just be happy to see a cool character show up.

It's crazy easy to modify an origin for cinematic purposes, and exposure to a modified origin in cinema form can influence or change the popular perception of the character. At one point they nixed the entire extraterrestrial aspect and made it a cancer suit. Eddie and the symbiote's original history as Venom is such an involved one that it would need pruning down in any case, even if they were only including him in Spider-Man films.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Goddammit this looks so dumb.

How are they really going to do this to the sounds of everyone ovjecting? Fucking hell.

We got one guy defending his ability to carry a movie by measuring his ability to sell t shirts.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Well okay, this trailer doesn't say much. Maybe it's because they are keeping all the great stuff for the movie? Let's hope.

In the meantime, let's play who is missing in this Marvel class photo for the first 10 years of the MCU

I'm going to go first: Coulson.

I find it so fitting that RDJ and Feige are alone on the first row.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Usually when they're hiding the cgi character it's because they're self conscious about how it looks.

If Venom looks cool in this movie they'd want us to know to alleviate the strong skepticism they have to know surrounded this movie.

Venom is a character who is popular mostly because of his aesthetic component, like Boba Fett. To not show that in the first trailer is very bizarre
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 02-08-2018 at 03:08 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Well okay, this trailer doesn't say much. Maybe it's because they are keeping all the great stuff for the movie? Let's hope.

In the meantime, let's play who is missing in this Marvel class photo for the first 10 years of the MCU

I'm going to go first: Coulson.

I find it so fitting that RDJ and Feige are alone on the first row.
    I find it offensive that Stan Lee is behind Feige.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The whole Netflix crew is missing, of course

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I cannot believe we are in 2018, and people are still bitching about a 1 minute trailer. I have no time to go out of my way to dig up some other 1 minute trailers that were also shit and the movie still came out on top. Anyone ever think that after the debacle of Spidey 3's Venom, they are waiting to reveal him in his symbiote suit for a reason? I have faith that they will do Venom justice this time and am even more excited for the full trailer when they do reveal him.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I cannot believe we are in 2018, and people are still bitching about a 1 minute trailer. I have no time to go out of my way to dig up some other 1 minute trailers that were also shit and the movie still came out on top. Anyone ever think that after the debacle of Spidey 3's Venom, they are waiting to reveal him in his symbiote suit for a reason? I have faith that they will do Venom justice this time and am even more excited for the full trailer when they do reveal him.
    I don't think the movie will be bad now, and honesty I'm still on-board for it and hope the next trailer resonates much better -But that was a boring trailer. You can do a lot with one minute, and when it's your first trailer, your film's first exposure to the public eye, wouldn't you want make a good impression to give faith to the people that have been waiting for it? If they want to try and undo the stigma of the Spidey 3 Venom from 11 years ago, what possible reason would they have for waiting even longer to roll out their Venom design?

Know what I thought after the first Deadpool movie teaser? "YEP, THAT'S GONNA BE A DEADPOOL MOVIE."

After watching the Venom teaser: "That's...yep, Tom Hardy's in it."
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 02-09-2018 at 05:32 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Here's the rule: teaser, then real trailer, then real trailer 2 etc.

Pay attention to that word: Teaser.

A teaser is always, always designed to show less than a full trailer. It even says "teaser trailer" on the description.

I can't believe I need to say this but it's apparently necessary: the first look the studios give us at anything when they want to build up hype is a quick glimpse that's supposed to get us salivating for more but has outlived its purpose by goddamned years and always, always serves to irritate and confuse people unless it's Star Wars.

I was expecting to see .5 seconds of Venom and not .5 seconds of a symbiote, sure, but there was enough here that it's got me looking forward to the real deal.