Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where is the Tapeworm thread?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Where is the Tapeworm thread?

from a new article with Phil Anselmo:
    Out of all the projects you've done over the years, the most mysterious was Tapeworm, which supposedly included Trent Reznor and Maynard James Keenan, but was shelved.
    Actually, it was really me and Danny Lohner, who was in Nine Inch Nails at the time we did Tapeworm. Danny Lohner and I are still very tight, and we always talk about doing different projects together. I think he's gearing up to lay a bunch of material on me in the near future. But with the Tapeworm, it was really just two songs. Danny had preprogrammed and did all of his magic that he does – which is really outstanding work – beforehand, and said, "Hey man, here's the music. Write what you want." And these songs never saw the light of day. It was one of those things where schedules never met and it wasn't a true possibility. We were both tied to different record labels at the time. It was just a logistics nightmare.
    Either way, it was and is very interesting music. I think there was one aggressive-type song, called "Ignorant." I'm not sure if I want people to hear it today or tomorrow, but in the next ten years or so, I don't mind if it's heard. There was another song called "Be Kind to Them," and that song was more atmospheric, more of a blues-type track. It would be Nine Inch Nails' take on blues. It's the type of thing where Danny – who is also a great producer – he'll ask you to sing something 20 different ways, 20 different times. Then he'll take it and run with it, and build what he wants out of it. Take certain textures and add them to vocals, and then the really beautiful orchestrations in the background.

We have some song titles! Whoop, Whoop!
    AND Danny is going to lay a bunch of material on him in the "near future"! I really hope this sees the light of day! I love Phil and would love to see him on some electronic stuff!

Full article: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...0130716?page=2

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    yay! a new thread that actually deserves to BE HERE! and is full of LEGITIMATE INFORMATION!

that could come across really sarcastically but i am being 100% serious. thanks for finding that interview!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Am I reading this wrong or does this mean Trent has been letting himself be hassled relentlessly about something he wasn't even involved in? Eh?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    ...what

How much Coke Zero did Rolling Stone bribe him with for THAT?

Thanks for that btw

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    i refuse to get excited about tapeworm. the first time it was announced dead the hurt was so deep, i couldn't go through that again. all the anticipation, only to have all hopes dashed. not again. /drama

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just a matter of time before someone directs you to the Tapeworm thread from 1998 that you should've known about and posted this in.

Love Pantera, just can't stand Phil after he broke up the band and blamed everyone else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Am I reading this wrong or does this mean Trent has been letting himself be hassled relentlessly about something he wasn't even involved in? Eh?
    It's weird too, because when APC played Vacant live, MJK prefaced it with "Here's a song we were working on with Danny Lohner".

At the time Trent always talked about the group as him (TR) not being in charge and it being a democracy, but with this recent information I too am starting to think his involvement may have been very small. Maybe they were just using his studio and he was just... there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    He was obviously involved, just not in the Phil sessions.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Does anyone know how to contact Danny and just ask him directly about this?

Im not getting excited though, as far as im concerned, Vacant and Convict Colony are the only (sorta) Tapeworm tracks to have surfaced.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Danny probably worked in music for Phil, Maynard and Trent, then Trent and Maynard got more involved with the project along Charlie Clouser and the other billion guys that were rumored to be part of this band/album, in the following years they added Atticus and Freese (remember the Tapeworm's studio pic), Clouser left, things changed, they finished the album (according to Danny, if I remember well), but then they had some legal problems because MJK and TR were in different labels and Trent probably wanted to focus on the new NIN album that would later become WT, while Maynard replaced Tapeworm with Puscifer, so the album was shelved.

It would be great if the album was "accidentally" leaked on TPB some day, Trent should also leak his songs with Zack de la Rocha, but I guess both albums are worth a lot of money and will not be released until Trent has been dead for a few years.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Does anyone know how to contact Danny and just ask him directly about this?

Im not getting excited though, as far as im concerned, Vacant and Convict Colony are the only (sorta) Tapeworm tracks to have surfaced.
    Potions is supposedly a Tapeworm song. Maynard said that it was reworked and/or re-recorded, but maybe he said that just to avoid legal problems with Trent's former label, because it sounds a lot like a TR/AR produced song.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Leo View Post
    Potions is supposedly a Tapeworm song. Maynard said that it was reworked and/or re-recorded, but maybe he said that just to avoid legal problems with Trent's former label, because it sounds a lot like a TR/AR produced song.
    I stand corrected, Potions is a Tapeworm song too. Maynard recorded it as a, in his words, "wedding gift to trent".

And yes, I agree, it defenitaly sounds like Trent had a big part in writing that soung.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Refresh my memory, apparently I'm losing NIN history in my old age. Are Vacant and Passive the same song? And I have Passive but have long let go of any copy of the live Vacant, if they were the same song, was the live version different? Was Passive very reworked?

Guess I should check out Potions, even though everything Maynard is involved in tends to make me fall asleep.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Pretty sure the album was going to wind up being a lot like G.O.O.D music's Cruel Summer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruel_S...D_Music_album)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Refresh my memory, apparently I'm losing NIN history in my old age. Are Vacant and Passive the same song? And I have Passive but have long let go of any copy of the live Vacant, if they were the same song, was the live version different? Was Passive very reworked?
    Extremely different.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Re: Where is the Tapeworm thread?

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post
    Just a matter of time before someone directs you to the Tapeworm thread from 1998 that you should've known about and posted this in.

Love Pantera, just can't stand Phil after he broke up the band and blamed everyone else.
    You will say a different tune after reading Rex's book.

It was all four of them that broke up the band practically.

I never knew that Phil was involved with tapeworm.

Im starting to think that the music that is tapeworm must suck so bad that everyone involved with it does not want it released. Its kind of like the star wars Xmas special.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    "Does anyone know how to contact Danny and just ask him directly about this?" -He answers people on twitter all the time and also post on instagram.

"Love Pantera, just can't stand Phil after he broke up the band and blamed everyone else." - Phil DID have a huge part in dissolving PanterA but he didn't act alone. All the egos started clashing and him being a junkie and the other 3 being drunks and cokeheads didn't help. These days since Dime is gone Phil has returned in a big way and earned back a lot of respect from me by actually being a man and admitting his mistakes. I have always liked Rex and like him more after his book. Vinnie is just a bitter man who makes crappy music and needs to let things go. I know he saw his brother get shot in the face and I can never know what its like but I think he could heal more by reconnecting with Phil and Rex (who have both reached out to him and publicly apologized a million times). Phil even said if it took Vinnie whooping his ass first just to talk afterwords he would allow it. I don't expect them to reform PanterA or anything because that doesn't even make sense without Dime but just talking a bit could not hurt. I really think he could get some closure in this life and stop being such a turd.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I think Phil is seriously taking the piss here. He and Danny were Tapeworm? Only two songs were created? Bitch, please. We have official releases of Passive and Potions, and both have big quantities of TR and MJK involvement in them. But no Phil Anselmo whatsoever. Danny said back in 1999 that they had, at that time, THREE songs completed, and by 2003, both he and Alan Moulder said they had more than albums worth of material demoed and ready to mix. Phil Anselmo can barely string a sentence together, his brain is so fried from drug use. So it's highly doubtful anything he says here regarding Tapeworm is legit.
    I was looking through The NIN Hotline archives a couple of days ago and Charlie Clouser was talking extensively about Tapeworm and how he was getting involved and had a lot of stuff to do for the project, so...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Obviously Phil is referring only to the session he was involved in personally, not the entire project.
    I'm too lazy to search, but assure you, theNINhotline articles archive does have a mention of this event somewhere (i.e. Danny recording a couple of songs with Anselmo).

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I bet Trent is crying rn, knowing all interviews for the next 6 months will be Tapeworm all over again

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Where is the Tapeworm thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Extremely different.
    Yeah, the main difference is that Vacant is good.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    From what I remember of the two songs, Vacant is much more aggressive and has different lyrics in the chorus. I'm not really a fan of Maynard's work so I'm not the best one to respond to this... however, I can contribute a live mp3 of Vacant.

Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/dwjbub

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    My guess is the album would have been similar to a Pigface album, in that it is less of a band, and more of a collective of different artists contributing vocals, and maybe Danny tied the whole thing together?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tapeworm is dead

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    "Ignorant" could easily be Vacant. As for "Be Kind to Them", Maynard could of reworked it into Potions? I mean, the lyrics have this sort of bluesish quality to them..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I am going to say probably not on both accounts. They had a TON of songs and I don't see why we would need to link the only 2 we have to the unreleased tracks mentioned by Phil.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    I think Passive is a pretty good song, one of my favorites from APC.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Leo View Post
    I think Passive is a pretty good song, one of my favorites from APC.
    Agreed. Even if it seems like its a diamond among (mostly) turds that is Emotive it would've held up well on either one of the other two releases. I think it's a damn good song.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    Tapeworm is dead
    Long live Tapeworm. (Sorry, had to.)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Im starting to think that the music that is tapeworm must suck so bad that everyone involved with it does not want it released. Its kind of like the star wars Xmas special.
    Isn't that basically what Trent said? "If the music was worthwhile we would have figured out a way to make it work", or words to that effect.