Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 121 to 131 of 131

Thread: Headphones and Amps and DACs... Oh My!

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    1,994
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Gah! I keep going between different models and can't make up my mind. I just want something that's good for listening to music off my computer while I work, because the earbuds are not working.

    Fuck it. I went ahead and ordered the ATH-M20x. Will see how they go. I'm not a super audiophile, but I just want something better than what I have currently.
    Nice. Even if you were willing to spend $100, you're only in it for $50 so win-win.

    No clue what earbuds you were using before, but the sound stage increase will be noticeable, even if we're talking about switching from earbuds to the entry level $20 Sony MDR's.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,376
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    oh man, @Jon thank you for the earcup replacement recommendation. these are officially the most comfortable things i've ever had on my ears. and they were super easy to change. <3

    i asked my wife if she wanted to feel them and she put them on her head and went "it's like a stuffed animal is hugging my head" hehehe

  3. #123
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    2,533
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Question about the Sennheiser HD 280 headphones, since I just found my pair that I had thought I gotten rid of. A) I need new cups and the handy little guide on the Brainwavz page has disappeared to be replaced by gobbledygook:

    Introducing Your

    PAGE DETAILS TEMPLATE
    Let's Get Started!

    TALK ABOUT YOUR BRAND
    Use this text to share information about your brand with your customers.

    Describe a product, share announcements, or welcome customers to your store.
    wtaf is going on with the site.

    B) I plugged them into my receiver so I could listen to a record sans hum (see vinyl thread) and there was absolutely zero bass coming through. It's been long enough that I don't 100% remember what they sounded like but I am 100% sure that they were very good sounding cans. I've had them for awhile sure but I've never heard of a set of headphones doing this. they sound very clear but there is zero bass response.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    1,994
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Question about the Sennheiser HD 280 headphones, since I just found my pair that I had thought I gotten rid of. A) I need new cups and the handy little guide on the Brainwavz page has disappeared to be replaced by gobbledygook:

    wtaf is going on with the site.

    B) I plugged them into my receiver so I could listen to a record sans hum (see vinyl thread) and there was absolutely zero bass coming through. It's been long enough that I don't 100% remember what they sounded like but I am 100% sure that they were very good sounding cans. I've had them for awhile sure but I've never heard of a set of headphones doing this. they sound very clear but there is zero bass response.
    The website works just fine for me. With the Sennheiser 280 Pro's, you're "stuck" with choosing just from the Oval pads (https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/pages...z-earpad-guide).

    If you're having hum and zero bass response, there's something going on with your receiver/amp (could be as simple as the cable though).

  5. #125
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    2,533
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Firstly, wtf. that link was giving me that weird page all weekend - and even while I was typing that post out, hence the quotes! - and suddenly it's working again. I'm not complaining, but it makes me look/feel crazy! side note: both the 280s and my Sony headphones are on that page so that's a bonus for me, just order two of the same thing.

    The cable on them is so damn heavy duty I hope it's not that. I mean it's not a big problem since I have two other headphones I could use but I'll check when i get home.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    2,533
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Research into SACD players is confusing...

    Am I correct that there is not a native DSD player for less than about $1500? The players look to be about $700-800 (Marantz, Cambridge Audio, Sony), but then you need a DAC/Amp that can support the audio which is equal in price. Are these price points accurate for Onkyo and Denon (I'm not familiar with these as much). The "all-in-one" players (just one component instead of two) look to be about $1999+ MSRP. Correct?

    Also, a lot of the verbiage for some of the specifications is vague, especially since each brand has their own "lingo". I know DoP (DSD over PCM) is an option, but since I'm in the market for a new receiver, it'd still be about $1000-1200. So, the thing has to play native DSD, through a disc slot, as well as HDCD decoding (this is a huge one as the vast majority of Grateful Dead stuff is HDCD). I know Sony has the patent for the DSD technology, does that mean any of them over a certain dollar amount can passthrough native DSD if I have a DAC which can decode it?

    I'm also planning on getting a PS2 for ripping/extracting purposes...

    I realize this is all over the place; I'm really looking for some guidance. I'd like to spend no more than $1500, but if that's not possible, I'd really just like a breakdown of which direction to go (I'd like to stick with Sony, Marantz, or Cambridge Audio if possible).

    ETA: And De-Emphasis!#@$
    sorry for the out-of-order of this but I just saw this: do you mean a PS3? Because there's a version of the PS3 that will allow you to rip SACDs after a bit of trickery with the firmware.

    as for the rest of your post: good luck. HDCD is fairly rare on cheaper players right now. Combine that with an SACD player and you're looking at some high-level (and high-price) equipment. and not to add to your headache but there is also DSD over HDMI but it will only work if the receiver has the DAC for it, otherwise it's just a PCM signal. the forums at https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/ would be a good place to read up and ask questions if you aren't already.

    side note: dbpoweramp and foobar can decode HDCD digital tracks if they are lossless, if it matters. for example you might find that the Grateful Dead albums you're worried about might not matter at all.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    1,994
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    sorry for the out-of-order of this but I just saw this: do you mean a PS3? Because there's a version of the PS3 that will allow you to rip SACDs after a bit of trickery with the firmware.

    as for the rest of your post: good luck. HDCD is fairly rare on cheaper players right now. Combine that with an SACD player and you're looking at some high-level (and high-price) equipment. and not to add to your headache but there is also DSD over HDMI but it will only work if the receiver has the DAC for it, otherwise it's just a PCM signal. the forums at https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/ would be a good place to read up and ask questions if you aren't already.

    side note: dbpoweramp and foobar can decode HDCD digital tracks if they are lossless, if it matters. for example you might find that the Grateful Dead albums you're worried about might not matter at all.
    Yep, I meant the PS3. Thankee-sai.

    The Grateful Dead releases are interesting because only a few include peak extension, and a good portion of the releases are the wrong speed. Unfortunately, Sunshine Daydream is one of them.

    I've been trying to find a discounted Marantz SA8005, but no luck so far (MSRP is $1200). We have a Sony UBP-X700 which has been fine for DSD playback. Using a PC+software does seem like the best approach.
    Last edited by Jon; 04-13-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: wordzzz

  8. #128
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    W/A
    Posts
    2,533
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I ordered a pair of the new Pixel buds because I have a Pixel phone and have been gradually moving my main listening to it instead of an ipod touch that cannot keep a charge. pare the devices that I carry down a bit. Anyway I ordered them and they have the dreaded static bug feature that only a few people can hear. my dumb ass waited for the firmware update to see if it would work but it didn't and now it's past the return time. my fault, I know this. But I talked to tech support last night and they said "oh well it's working as intended because only a few people hear it". fuck you. I'm stuck with them but fuck you, it's not working as intended.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,376
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I ordered a pair of the new Pixel buds because I have a Pixel phone and have been gradually moving my main listening to it instead of an ipod touch that cannot keep a charge. pare the devices that I carry down a bit. Anyway I ordered them and they have the dreaded static bug feature that only a few people can hear. my dumb ass waited for the firmware update to see if it would work but it didn't and now it's past the return time. my fault, I know this. But I talked to tech support last night and they said "oh well it's working as intended because only a few people hear it". fuck you. I'm stuck with them but fuck you, it's not working as intended.
    what's this bug you speak of? i didn't even know the Pixel had its own earbuds

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Laughingstock of the World (America)
    Posts
    4,579
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    If anyone has been thinking about dabbling in headphone amps but never pulled the trigger, this is a pretty solid deal - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33304

    (If you go for it, be sure to use the promo code they mention on the product page to knock it down to $80)

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,376
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    If anyone has been thinking about dabbling in headphone amps but never pulled the trigger, this is a pretty solid deal - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33304

    (If you go for it, be sure to use the promo code they mention on the product page to knock it down to $80)
    also, monoprice stuff may look a little...low-grade, but i used a ton of different products of theirs during my time in the a/v world and never had a problem with any of them.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions