Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Saul Williams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's only on the original FLAC/MP3 download from 2007. "Ladies and gentlemen, it is with the greatest pleasure that I present... NiggyTardust."
    Damn, I knew something was missing from the cd version, and idiotically replaced the original version for it. Time to track down the original download then.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The original version had some slight edit differences. It may be worth your time to track it down. When I made my Saul playlist, I mixed download and cd tracks to make a ‘complete ‘ version of the album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcpunk View Post
    The original version had some slight edit differences. It may be worth your time to track it down. When I made my Saul playlist, I mixed download and cd tracks to make a ‘complete ‘ version of the album.
    I remember having the original version around the same time I also burned albums on CD-Rs for backup cases. Hoping to see if I did burn it I went through a bunch of them but unfortunately nothing for Saul.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcpunk View Post
    What version of each song so you use? I never knew there were any differences aside from the intro to Niggy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Did anyone here back the Neptune Frost Kickstarter. I was just following up and saw they sent out a survey some time ago. Hoping I didn't miss out on the mixtape.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    What version of each song so you use? I never knew there were any differences aside from the intro to Niggy
    I think that intro's the only thing missing on the physical version, but it's been a while since I compared them. I do remember that the CD/vinyl has an ever-so-slightly longer outro for "Skin of a Drum" and a complete intro to "WTF!" (on the download it's cross-faded with the ending of "DNA").

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    there really aren't many differences. like botley said, slightly different edits to a couple songs. I'd list which version of what track I used, but that was on an old iPod that I don't use anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of the original niggy tardust flac version? I bought it back when it came out and have since lost it. I’ve been unable to find it anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd like a source as well. I did find a couple of mega and mediafire links but are all dead.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotha52 View Post
    Did anyone here back the Neptune Frost Kickstarter. I was just following up and saw they sent out a survey some time ago. Hoping I didn't miss out on the mixtape.
    I received the survey, but no updates since then.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDee View Post
    Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of the original niggy tardust flac version? I bought it back when it came out and have since lost it. I’ve been unable to find it anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by _T_B_W_ View Post
    I'd like a source as well. I did find a couple of mega and mediafire links but are all dead.
    Try a private music tracker. We can't share links here, it's against the rules.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    It's only on the original FLAC/MP3 download from 2007. "Ladies and gentlemen, it is with the greatest pleasure that I present... NiggyTardust."
    Just checked the Spotify version and... it's not there, either. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Just checked the Spotify version and... it's not there, either. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON
    Pretty simple, the Fader Label licensed the album from Saul to put it out with bonus tracks in 2008, every version since then has that part cut out of it. It's literally only on the original independent download, every other version released since (streaming, CD, vinyl) is the Fader version with bonus tracks and no spoken intro.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    If anyone missed out on Niggy you can still pick up a copy from Turntable Lab

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    SO I've been listening to MartyrLoserKing a lot lately.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Love that film, but there's no fucking way I am going to sit through the whole thing with Saul's album playing instead of the original audio, LOL. Interesting idea in theory, but probably a terrible way to spend two hours in actuality...
    Last edited by botley; 12-16-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ^ Love that film, but there's no fucking way I am going to sit through the whole thing with Saul's album playing instead of the original audio, LOL. Interesting idea in theory, but probably a terrible way to spend two hours in actuality...
    This was actually my first exposure to the film and the artist. After 30 minutes, I spent the rest of the time researching Basquiat

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    For those that contributed to the kickstarter. The mixtape was sent out. Here's the contents of the email, minus the link to the actual file.
    Project Update #12: Neptune Frost by Saul Williams
    Posted by sloan
    Jun 29, 2019

Greetings One and All!
    Last year around this time I was excited to announce the musical I’ve working on Neptune Frost & asked for your help. Today I’m please to announce that we will begin shooting in January, your rewards are on their way and the first I’d like to share with you now: the mixtape TOMORROW REVEALS TODAY. Forgive the delay. I needed to finish Encrypted & Vulnerable in order to determine which songs I could include on this mixtape. These are a collection of mostly late-night demos from Encrypted & Vulnerable and MartyrLoserKing sessions, unedited, with uncleared samples, yet otherwise all me. I share these ideas in raw form with both exuberance and humility. The difference between these songs and the album - which you will be able to hear on July 18th -is that these songs never crossed the mark of me calling in other friends and musicians to help me finish them. They are experiments only brought to completion through the act of deciding to share them with you. From my hard drive to yours. I’m sharing them under a singular index, as one complete listening experience, to avoid the sample police that may show up if I were to make an act of releasing them individually. Of course you're free to do as you choose. It's out of my hands... Enjoy!
    Here’s a track list.
    Tomorrow Reveals Today
    What She Sees As Church
    To Be Real
    SXPWRVLNS
    sinners vs. losers
    So Much Anger
    Uncontrollable Urges
    Lift It Up
    A Horse A Snake & Horns
    Agents of Change
    The Little Ones
    Syrian Dust
    Canteloupe
    South Junior High
    Everything -Rone ft. Saul Williams
    Last edited by brotha52; 06-29-2019 at 11:06 PM. Reason: private info deleted

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    In terms of uncleared samples, I wish I had a better ear for this. There's a few I can't quite catch yet but on So Much Anger there's a nice deep cut off a Gang Starr track
    Last edited by brotha52; 06-30-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Are those who missed the Kickstarter SOL? I'd love to hear that tape...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Are those who missed the Kickstarter SOL? I'd love to hear that tape...
    I'm assuming he's fine with whatever happens to the tape now when he says "it's out of my hands". If someone wants to share it, I doubt it would be an issue, especially since there are unauthorized samples on it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Encrypted & Vulnerable available on all streaming platforms now.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Digging some of the sounds on the new album, but it also feels like it meanders too much. I feel like it could have been a good, solid mind-punch had it been a little more concise.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Love this review of the new album. "Thought-provoking" and "synergistic" are great words to describe it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Anyone have a link to the split track mixtape? Would love to hear it. About to finally listen to the album...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    Anyone have a link to the split track mixtape? Would love to hear it. About to finally listen to the album...
    I second this.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I like it! One of my few complaints about MartyrLoserKing is that it felt a bit too "safe" musically despite its (as always) excellent lyrics and performances, kind of like an edgier Volcanic Sunlight (which is still a guilty pleasure for me!). With this one, he seems to go bolder and weirder, and I hope he keeps up with this direction.

BTW, I have spotted the sample in "Before the War" in at least two other tracks (the latter actually produced by two friends of mine). I guess it's from a commercial sample library or something.

edit: the first link was taken down by its uploader just a few hours after I posted it, and I forgot its title. It wasn't even saved in my youtube watch history.
    Last edited by wizfan; 08-04-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i can't remember which track it is but i think it's the first song on the new album that contains a sample from "something of an end" by my brightest diamond.