Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Clive Barker

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Clive Barker

I could've sworn we had a thread on him already. Maybe it was just on the old board. Anyhoo, I love most of his stuff and am about to start a re-read of The Great and Secret Show and Everville.

Also, Clive just stated on his Facebook page that we have to wait until he's finished with Abarat until he finishes off The Scarlet Gospels. Boo.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Weaveworld is one of my top five favorite fantasy/horror/sci-fi books of all time... if not my absolute favorite. So much so that I was actually tempted to purchase that $1500 version that's limited to 15 copies

I still have every intention of buying one of the $250 versions before they sell out.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I always wanted to get into this guy's work. Any suggestions?

One day I was gathering some data about him and found this sweet ass treat.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Looks like one of his figures from McFarlane Toys. No idea what it's from though.

EDIT: Never mind, I got it. It's Agonistes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Todd-McFarla...item4610e16d76
    Last edited by nemesiswontdie; 07-10-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    weaveworld and imajica were always my favorites, but the great and secret show/everville have some really fond memories attached. i love clive barker, always have. i kind of forgot about him for a while, and anyone who loves neil gaiman should check clive out just to see how much gaiman was inspired by/ripped off barker. (*cough*coraline*cough*).

i couldn't get into much of the abarat series or mister b. gone, but really everything else is amazing.
    @Maul - start with the first three volumes of the books of blood, generally bound together. "in the hills, the cities" is one of my favorite short stories of all time, and "dread" is no slouch, either. you might recognize a pivotal line lifted from the text of "in the hills..." in a certain track seven from a certain 1989 debut.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Some of Clive Barkers material is really disturbing. I always found his writing far darker and slightly more terrifying than anything by Stephen King. I notice there always seems to be this constant presence of a looming dark sexual menace this sort of malevolent perverted air that's lurking somewhere. Favorite writing by him has got to be The Books of Blood specifically the story In the Hills the Cities also have a love for The Forbidden which turned into the brilliant underrated Candyman film from 1992. Also love Cabal. Im a big fan of his artwork too.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just watched Nightbreed for the first time. I'm sad that the film or Cabal never got a sequel, even though it's apparently in his to-do list.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    Some of Clive Barkers material is really disturbing. I always found his writing far darker and slightly more terrifying than anything by Stephen King.
    My sentiments exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul
    I always wanted to get into this guy's work. Any suggestions?
    Depends on what you're into. The Hellbound Heart is just about the roughest, meanest, nastiest, most deliciously disturbing things i've ever read. It's very short, but good lord, it's twisted. I couldn't read shit like that every day though.
    By that same token, however, i wasn't able to get into the tamer stuff.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-21-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Bit late with posting this but:

The Scarlet Gospels has been handed to the publisher's. IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING. No release date, but apparently "over a year" from now, according to Clive on Facebook. I think it'll be October/November next year.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    interesting... i hope both this and king's doctor sleep are suitable sequels. it always weirds me out when they do movie or book sequels so long after the original...

what i am more excited for (and who knows how far along it is, if at all), is the third book of the art...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    interesting... i hope both this and king's doctor sleep are suitable sequels. it always weirds me out when they do movie or book sequels so long after the original...

what i am more excited for (and who knows how far along it is, if at all), is the third book of the art...
    Is that even happening? Great and Secret Show was wonderful. I hated Everville (although I liked the twist in the protagonist couple's relationship that the second book took).

I'm holding out hope for The Scarlet Gospels, however the Clive Barker of today is a very different writer to the Clive Barker of 25 years ago.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    Is that even happening? Great and Secret Show was wonderful. I hated Everville (although I liked the twist in the protagonist couple's relationship that the second book took).

I'm holding out hope for The Scarlet Gospels, however the Clive Barker of today is a very different writer to the Clive Barker of 25 years ago.
    Art #3 is apparently the next book he's working on, according to his online posts.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Barker also mentioned recently that they were in discussions to do a film adaptation (either miniseries or theater) of Weaveworld. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's my favorite Clive Barker novel, and I can't imagine them getting it right.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 11-03-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Got to meet the guy and sign my copy of Hell Bound Heart, super super nice guy, makes you wonder how he can be so dark and twisted in what he does. I didn't care for Everville as a follow-up to Great and Secret Show, maybe it was the long gap between them, might try reading them again back to back. B.Gone was so so, although funny story, after reading the first paragraph a minor earthquake happened, How'd you do that Clive?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Amazon is listing the release for The Scarlet Gospels as May 19, 2013. Clive just confirmed it as accurate on FB.

YASSSSS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey, did anybody read Next Testament? I did. I really liked it.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    EDIT: I'm bad at this. NVM

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    "This is a whisper - but I'm actually, and I don't know when I will be able to start this because of scheduling, but I've started to structure the third book of The Art... It should be a whisper because it's a while off, but the fact that I have the narrative in place and I know where I'm going on it you know is useful."

Excuse me while I flail on the ground.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Very excited for The Scarlet Gospels. It's going to be a long six months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just finished reading Weaveworld and it made me want to read more of his work.
    Last edited by Marie; 11-19-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I picked up a copy of Everville in my local thrift store the other day. How necessary is it to read the Great and Secret Show first? I mean, will I be totally lost if I just jump straight into Everville?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Just finished reading Weaveworld and it made me want to read more of his work.
    Weaveworld is my favorite Clive Barker book.

I'm also pretty excited for the Scarlett Gospels, which is supposed to be a true sequel to The Hellbound Heart / Hellraiser, right? They recently unveiled the American and UK cover art.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 02-20-2015 at 07:38 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm 200 pages into The Scarlet Gospels and I'm enjoying it so far. It moves at a brisk pace, happy as hell to have Pinhead and D'Amour back in the literary realm, the story's intriguing and I'm eager to get back to it. It's a page turner for sure. I'm hoping to nab the audiobook and the limited edition hardcover in the next few weeks for collecting purposes. Anyone else get a chance to pick this one up yet?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I just finished it. I really enjoyed it for the most part, but I thought the ending section was a bit weak. Spoiler: Norma's death had me in bits.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I just finished it. I really enjoyed it for the most part, but I thought the ending section was a bit weak. Spoiler: Norma's death had me in bits.
    I agree about the latter hundred pages or so being weak. It doesn't ruin the story by any means but the final act could have been a lot stronger. Overall, an immensely enjoyable, dark, twisted, disturbing and fun read with a finale that can't quite live up to what's established throughout the beginning and middle of the book. Definitely worth buying though, and it's Clive Barker's best book in quite some time. I'm looking forward to reading it again, and getting my hands on the limited edition.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm fifty pages into Scarlet Gospels, and while I'm liking it, I'm repeatedly surprised by how perversely graphic this one is. So far all of the violence has been gratuitously drawn out in vivid detail and loaded with sexual elements that seem thrown in to add to the shock in an uncomfortable way. I've read almost every Clive Barker book, and I know he doesn't shy away from practically anything, I just don't remember him being so gratuitous.