Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Neil Young

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i have more respect for neil than i have time for him these days, but he's released some great material over the years. i might be the only trans fan on the planet, though...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I love trans. Ive got a few copies on vinyl. its an epic record. Neil is like an uncle to me. He's always been there since I was a wee lad.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Trans is epic? No, this is epic:

Last edited by botley; 09-21-2020 at 01:11 AM. Reason: YouTube keeps fuckin' up

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I've had a copy of Trans around since I was a kid. I imported the CD which sounds pretty good, we'll probably never see a remaster of that one. I wish that album would get mentioned more. Way ahead of its time, especially in 1982.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i wouldn't say it's too ahead of it's time as far as the musical climate is concerned, but i'm especially touched to hear that a lot of this record came from therapy excercises with his son.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Big fan of TRANS, but my favorite is TIME FADES AWAY. Young doesn't seem to want to release it again, but it's not super rare on vinyl and a test pressing of a cancelled HD-CD was ripped and is floating around in filesharing world.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Time Fades Away will be released with the next archives set.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Yes, Trans is kind of fun and certainly a valid artistic statement, but it also slyly repositioned one of the most prescient and clever pop songs of the 20th century:

...as a Krautrock tune. Neil wrote this when he was in Buffalo Springfield. When he was twenty-one years old. It's absolutely timeless.
    Last edited by botley; 09-21-2020 at 01:11 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The husband is a HUGE Neil Young fan so I went to a whole lot of Neil Young shows and, gotta say, I grew to like some of Neil Young's music, and I respect him a whole lot as an artist who does whatever the fuck he wants. (Course, he can AFFORD to.)

I love the Crazy Horse stuff most, and G and I were disappointed to get Crazyhorse tix only to see Greendale, but were then pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-12-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    New film on www.neilyoung.com entitled "Horse Back".

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    love this man

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The man still has the rage of 1000 hurricanes... its good to see him and the horse back together. This song gave me chills and brought a tear to the eye. Nobody does that for me... except Neil.

Last edited by DVYDRNS; 09-18-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added link

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    a fuckin legend hads down, had the luck to watch him perform live in Glastonbury ...what an awesome experience!
    Im happy he's back with Crazy Horse, the only "bad" thing about him is the number of records he has it's so hard to keep track of him and that's because every record he has recorded is special in it's own way ...even TRANS!!!
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 10-30-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just seeing this thread reminded me of a 90's song he had called "War of Man". Anyone remember this?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    Just seeing this thread reminded me of a 90's song he had called "War of Man". Anyone remember this?

I play it every time i play live. its one of my all time faves.

also on that album that doesnt get enough love is the closer. Natural Beauty.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Pretty excited for the new NY&Crazy Horse record Psychedelic Pill — a double album reportedly stuffed with many of the long-awaited 15-minute-plus jam sessions.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    So the new album is out today. It's pretty fantastic.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I can't get into the first two tracks (luckily, the other seven are good); too gimmicky and harsh. Neil is better when he's subtle. I'm glad the Horse still has that fire in its belly, though!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Off to see Neil Young, Los Lobos & The Sadies tonight in Winnipeg. I'm hoping the wolves join NY & CH on stage as they cover a few of N's songs that are in the setlist. I hope the tour print is nice, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just started listening to this guy in my quest to open myself up to older music. He's great. I got a greatest hits album for a taster but I want more. What are the best, most classic Neil Young records to keep me interested?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Everybody Knows this is nowhere, Harvest, Live Rust, Weld, Ragged Glory, Mirrorball

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Decade is a great compilation of his classic 60's and 70's stuff (67-77 to be exact, nothing from the Rust period).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What a great Winnipeg show! I mean these guys are older, obviously, but still true to the CH form. Very psychedelic. Just wish I had some psychedelics of my own. Gave away a few papers during set change & that kinda helped. Bought a shirt $35, 2 packs of rolling papers $5 each & a tour poster for $20. Add beer & it cost me quite a bit. I just cut the tour poster in half (it's pretty big!) & put it 2 identical frames, over the mantle & it looks great. "Alchemy Doesn't Work" Canadian Tour 2012

Go see Neil Young & Crazy Horse (& Los Lobos!) if you get the chance. If you are a fan to begin with, you will not be disappointed.
    Last edited by Stereo75; 11-19-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Music: Response

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    Everybody Knows this is nowhere, Harvest, Live Rust, Weld, Ragged Glory, Mirrorball
    On the Beach. Also try the Dead Man soundtrack (my personal favorite).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I also really love old ways and harvest moon. Wayland Jennings. Willie Nelson. Linda rondstat and emmylou Harris helping Neil out is a beautiful sound.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Neil's (rightly) considered in some circles a guitar god, but his piano/pump organ playing and songs are something to behold imo.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-22-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Portage & Main, 50 below!

I prefer the softer version.

Bachman's 'Any Road' album was actually pretty good when it came out.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Time Fades Away will be released with the next archives set.
    Have they set a release date for that yet?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Nothing yet. I imagine it will not take as long as the first one did. The whole point of it finally being released was that the Blu-ray technology made Neil's vision of it when he started a reality.