Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fallout

So I got this game for Xmas last year and I played a little bit of it but I kept dying. I walked a long way to this city to do one of my missions and a bunch of hooligans killed me with a bat. Naturally I forgot to save at all during my 15 minute walk, so I started back at Megaton. Fuck. I didn't really have any desire to go back to it, but my friends kept telling me to do so and to do other quests to level up first. I recently gave it a couple more chances and each time I've been more frustrated than the last. With all the praise this game has gotten, I'm curious if I am completely missing something huge about this because I have no desire to play this fucking thing. The premise is something that is really appealing to me as I really like post-apocalyptic stories in movies/TV. This game is just relentlessly punishing me for even giving it the time of day. I'm not even that far in, even though I've played more than 6 hours. I realize this is a game that takes a long time, especially if you do the side missions, but you're able to continue without doing the side missions, right? I ask this because I've read that you can complete these game quickly if you only do the main missions, but I can't even complete the side missions I'm on. Here's a breakdown:

Moira: I've completed some shit for her book, but now I have to put a spawning data thing in this nest without disturbing the Marklars or whatever. I tried, kept getting caught, and subsequently killed. My friend then tells me I need Stealth Boy. Ok, next quest.

Lucy West: I go to deliver her message, but Spoiler: her family is dead, so I have to find her brother. Turns out he's been taken by the Family who's been terrorizing a bunch of people. That seems like another way to die. Next quest.

Find some dude: I go find him, avoiding a swarm of fire ants because I can't even kill one of them, and he's dead. Now I have to tell his son, which I do, but then I have to find the source of the ants. Great, I can't kill one and now I have to find where they're all coming from?? Next quest.

Look for dad: I have to find some radio thing, and when I get to where the compass tells me to go, there's a bunch of raiders. Ok, if I'm lucky I can take out one at a time and then hopefully not be too near death. Nope, one of them has an RPG and infinite rounds for it. Next qu--wait. Shit.

My friend also told me to just go exploring, as that's a huge part of the game. So I try this, and all that happens is I run into more and more things that not only want to kill me, they do kill me. I've never been punished by a game so much simply for trying to play it. I really don't see what the appeal of this is at all. I could understand if I was doing well, but I cannot figure out how to do that at all.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    The first time I played through Fallout 3, it felt awkward and a little bit difficult. When I restarted after having played for a while, I was practically invincible because I was so much better at the stuff I hadn't figured out the first time through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't really even see myself playing this any more, let alone finishing it or playing it a second time. As it stands now I can't even progress, though I did just learn about the targeting system. I'm not saying I want a game to hold my hand all the way through, but having no direction at all is absurd. Then there's the issue of health. I'm constantly running out of what little Stimpacks I have and then I'm forced to pay someone to heal me. So I constantly have very little caps to buy anything with. I just realized when I was playing last night, when the game FINALLY told me after I was severely hurt from a fall, that sleeping in a bed would heal me. Too bad none of the beds in Megaton were available without paying. I remembered that the only bed I saw as available was off on some overpass, in a shack, and had a dead body in it. Thanks for the tip, game, but it would have been nice when I was hurt before and not 6 hours into the game, barely making it by after dying countless times and rerouting my path through the wasteland. Gah.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    The targeting system is how you beat the shit out of everything. Learning about that was basically what turned me around. Starting from scratch and using the targeting system, you'll cane. Some games take time. I actually quite liked Fallout 3 - having pirated it at first, I ended up getting sucked in and buying the Game of the Year edition, which came with a second disc with all the DLC for the game. And I generally don't play video games. It's a grower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You should be able to get the Megaton house (w/ bed) if you raise explosives to 25. At that point, you can disarm the bomb in the middle of town. I think you need to speak with the sheriff first, then again after disarming. Quite a few things like that where you'll need a certain skill/skill number to do certain tasks.

The game gets a bit easier after learning the targeting system and allocating the stat/skill points/perks in relation to the type of character you'd like to play. Fast Travel makes getting from place to place easier too, if you've visited prior.

It's a bit tough at the beginning to do some of those quests since the further you travel out, the more things you can run into. I think there was a school nearby that had a few Raiders but was a decent place to find loot, caps, ammo, weapons, and exp.. There should also be a super-market near Grayditch (fire ants) that had the same.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I absolutely hated VATS.

Also, Fallout: New Vegas is such an improvement, it's not even close.
    Last edited by heroicraptor; 12-01-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Agreed with heroicraptor on New Vegas: it's an improvement on Fallout 3 in every area.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Is it sad I still haven't beat the Lonesome Road DLC?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heroicraptor View Post
    I absolutely hated VATS.

Also, Fallout: New Vegas is such an improvement, it's not even close.
    Was New Vegas really that much better? I didn't pick it up because I heard of all the bugs it had when it was released. If I may ask, what improvements did they make?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm currently playing New Vegas, about 60 hours in, and I can't say I noticed it being much different than Fallout 3. Which isn't a bad thing IMO, the one area I've noticed a real change is in the difficulty of some enemies. No more can you at level 30 walk into a pack of Death Claws and survive, being invincible in Fallout 3 really took away some of the appeal late into the game. Other than that it's basically the same core game-play in a new setting.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I so have to finish this game.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iran_Ed View Post
    Was New Vegas really that much better? I didn't pick it up because I heard of all the bugs it had when it was released. If I may ask, what improvements did they make?
    Ammo creation, better weapons, better enemies, better plot.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    New Vegas definately has the better story IMO. But, I loved wandering around the capital wasteland far more than the Mohave. Both are very good though.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    New Vegas definately has the better story IMO. But, I loved wandering around the capital wasteland far more than the Mohave. Both are very good though.
    Both have their ups and downs as far as the landscape. I hate the Capital Wasteland due to all the wreckage. It takes forever to find a pathway or a way to get through for me. I remember trying to get to the area for the Operation Anchorage DLC and it took me forever on how to get into the fucking location since it was blocked off on all sides except one with no specific path shown.

If this hasn't been touched on, I'm posting it:

Sucks for me, as I have all the DLC already minus the two weapons related ones (Gunrunner's Arsenal and Courier's Stash).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heroicraptor View Post
    Ammo creation, better weapons, better enemies, better plot.
    +better locations, better dialogue, more narrative freedom, better companions (by far), more cohesive and interesting world map, better difficulty...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Oh nice! First i've heard of that. Not surprised though. I may scoop that up. I don't own any of the DLC, so I'm not sure which would be cheaper - buy the DLC, or trade my copy in for the new one.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Of course a major factor of New Vegas's quality was the Obsidian development team being made up in part of key guys from Interplay/Black Isle Studios who worked on the original two Fallouts.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I just started Fallout 3 a few hours ago. I've never played any of the games before, so getting ahold of the reigns is a bit strange. It seems pretty fun so far though. The only problem I have is that there seems to be way too much stuff for me to accomplish, but I guess that's a good thing. Any tips for total noobs? I just barely got into Megaton, for reference.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    The first time I played through Fallout 3, it felt awkward and a little bit difficult. When I restarted after having played for a while, I was practically invincible because I was so much better at the stuff I hadn't figured out the first time through.
    I got into the game the exact same way! Really didn't like it at first. Came back to it out of boredom and completely fell in love with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    I just started Fallout 3 a few hours ago. I've never played any of the games before, so getting ahold of the reigns is a bit strange. It seems pretty fun so far though. The only problem I have is that there seems to be way too much stuff for me to accomplish, but I guess that's a good thing. Any tips for total noobs? I just barely got into Megaton, for reference.
    Level up your weapons frequently, level up skills, have fun in collecting everything (picking locks, checking mailboxes, etc.) get immersed in the game. I'm usually the type to just run through a game as fast as I can. This game takes a bit more patience. Enjoy your surroundings.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Stay away from the heart of DC until your comfortable with the game and have leveled up quite a bit. Get to know the area by doing a few side quests, then work on the main. If you have the GOTY version, beware of Feral ghoul reavers they can sometimes become invincible. I had one wreck havoc at Tenpenny Tower. Save often!!! Besides that enjoy.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Sooooo....you gonna blow up Megaton or not?

>:]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So Amazon has New Vegas on sale for $12.99 for the PS3. I know the Ultimate Edition is coming in February, but I think I just might get it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Sooooo....you gonna blow up Megaton or not?

>:]
    When I destroyed Megaton, I did it reluctantly. I was originally going to save them, but then I got caught stealing. Guy had to defend himself...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'd love to play such a game.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Save every Quantum Nuka Cola you find! You'll need them later for a quest with an achievement attached to it. I guzzled them like a greedy guzzler and now I don't think I can get that damn cheevo!

Also, build a stockpile of weapons in your home to use as spare parts to repair weapons of the same type. You'll save lots of money that way. It follows that you should max out your repair skill as quickly as you can.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Or use the console command player.srm to repair your weapons yourself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Fallout Wiki
    THIS IS VERY HELPFUL

In the week that I've had New Vegas I've realized the amount of options and quests it contains are far superior than Fallout 3. With that said, I miss the Capital wasteland. I live in Maryland and I'm forty minutes from DC and Point lookout

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Only if Bethesda chooses to pick up the game's development—I get the impression they have no plans to do so. The whole suit turned into nothing more than a legal cat fight; I don't think either party came out particularly honorable in the end. It'd be nice if the MMO were the important thing here, but I don't think that was what they were really fighting over at the heart of it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Fallout: NV Ultimate Edition Trailer Released

Patience is a virtue, so they say, and those of you who've managed to wait out Fallout: New Vegas and its multiple DLC packs are soon to be rewarded, if the game is of interest to you.

See, back in
    November, Bethesda (unsurprisingly) announced that a Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition was in the works, and that it would include Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, Gun Runner's Arsenal, and "Courier's Stash", which you gives you access to the "Caravan Pack", "Classic Pack", "Mercenary Pack" and "Tribal Pack". Now, with the game nearing release, they've put out a trailer for the game's launch.

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition will be available on February 7th in North America and February 10th in Europe.
    http://www.trueachievements.com/n716...r-released.htm