Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Fallout

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Played a little earlier. Maybe for about an hour. Got some momentum and was in the middle of an event...and it crashed. Not sure how much more I'm going to stick with this. One of the most unrewarding games I've ever played. No purpose other than just being there.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    From the little i've seen it really doesn't look like it would be all that fun playing solo (hell most people really aren't enjoying it with friends!?) and i'll skip this...not that i could play even if i wanted too as my internet is still down (and another reason i hate online only games, when shit like this happens!) Also the micro-transactions in this game, which is so limited in actual content for a full priced game, really rubs me the wrong way!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    lol

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Soooo, in the wake of the positive reaction Obsidian are getting for the Outer Worlds (a game many are calling the best Fallout game since New Vagas...ouch) Bethesda just announced their plans for private severs for Fallout 76...but you can only get them if you get "Fallout Premium" and monthly subscription service for the low low cost of *re-checks notes* $14.99 a month or $99.99 a year...

THIS ISN'T A JOKE! BETHESDA ACTUALLY THINK THEY CAN CHARGE $15 A MONTH FOR ACCESS TO "SOME" PREMIUM FEATURES IN A GAME THAT HAS BEEN DYING SINCE RELEASE, WHEN PEOPLE CAN PAY LESS PER MONTH FOR ANY OF THE SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES FROM EVERY OTHER COMPANY WHICH INCLUDES MORE THEN ONE HALF ARSED GAME...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Private Servers was the one thing that could have gotten me to play 76. I really don't like playing around other people. Destiny spoiled that for me forever. But there is no way i'm going to pay a monthly fee just for the "privilege" of playing alone. That's just crazy talk. Outer Worlds and Greedfall can fill that gap for me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah a bit much...I bought it in the summer (gave it a year to smooth out) and it was actually really fun...but got to the endgame, other games came out, etc. It was $19.99 so worth it....but yeah I saw this and almost did a spit take. They want 129.99 CDN for this! Holy shit!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    A lot of people i follow on the socials that were still into 76 have all but dropped it after this news, mainly due to Bethesda locking a bunch of features they'd be asking before behind this extra charge.
    Also worth mentioning the game HASN'T gone free to play yet, you still have to buy the full release, then pay the monthly fee to get the extra features AND the micro transactions are STILL IN THERE...that's so MASSIVELY greedy! It honestly feels, to me, like this was planned to be for the free to play model, but someone at Bethesda still has a hard on for trying to one up Obsidian so announced this the week their Fallout-esq game came out and made a skin from their game (New Vagas) as a Premium only skin...that probably isn't the case, but man does it feel like it!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Bethesda is ridiculous. The only way to give it back to them is to not give them money for that garbage. I'm terrified on what they're going to do to Elder Scrolls now.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

that doesn't seem ideal.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    ...i mean we should have expected they'd be bugs, but really?! Did you test this Bethesda...no wait, of course you didn't, that's what all the early sign ups are for

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I got burned out on these types of games (fallout, elder scrolls) pretty much right after fallout 4 came out. I spent thousands of hours between the last gen games too. Glad I got out while the going was good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have played Fallout -3, This was initially difficult for me to start with, but after a few days, I am now well expert in this game. This is a great action RPG game, I shall recommend it to anyone who likes this type of games.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    In some wild news it appears the Fallout First sub has created a class war within the players still playing! Those that don't have First are actively targeting First members in game, and first members are trying to rally together against in their words the "Fallout poor" members...this is so fucking weird!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    In some wild news it appears the Fallout First sub has created a class war within the players still playing! Those that don't have First are actively targeting First members in game, and first members are trying to rally together against in their words the "Fallout poor" members...this is so fucking weird!
    That sound you hear is the Fallout 76 dev team frantically figuring out how to spin this.

'Yeah, man...we were hoping this was gonna happen! It was all part of the plan...a commentary on today's society. Yeahhhh, that's it.'

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I don't think ive seen a developer screw up a game and its public image this much. It's like Bethesda did all of this, intentionally. Shoot one foot then shoot the other when you think the first one is starting to heal.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    A lot of hot takes going right now, the main one being that after the success of Outer Worlds we don't need Fallout anymore (at least current state Fallout) It's obvious the series has taken a pretty large dip in the last few releases, and the scratch people were itching for has all but been filled by OW's. Couple with that OW's is a new IP, and it's potential is FANTASTIC...given how Bethesda have treated FO i just don't see them being able to rival it.

What i'm really waiting to see is how Elder Scrolls 6 ends up looking. If they go all in on making a fantasic RPG like the previous games people will all but forgive them for the last few years, but if they screw it even slightly the ES fans will all but revolt...and Bethesda can't afford to lose them, not now anyway.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    A lot of hot takes going right now, the main one being that after the success of Outer Worlds we don't need Fallout anymore (at least current state Fallout) It's obvious the series has taken a pretty large dip in the last few releases, and the scratch people were itching for has all but been filled by OW's. Couple with that OW's is a new IP, and it's potential is FANTASTIC...given how Bethesda have treated FO i just don't see them being able to rival it.

What i'm really waiting to see is how Elder Scrolls 6 ends up looking. If they go all in on making a fantasic RPG like the previous games people will all but forgive them for the last few years, but if they screw it even slightly the ES fans will all but revolt...and Bethesda can't afford to lose them, not now anyway.
    I want to join the fun!

Fallout 3, Skyrim, and New Vegas are pretty much my favorite games of all time. I grew to love Fallout 4 over time, but I was definitely disappointed on my first playthrough by the lack of dialogue choices, complex quests, and desolate mood of the previous games. That said, I went on to play it 5 more times and fell in love with the variety you can get from different builds/choices.

Fallout 76 was... fine. I wish they hadn't spent time and resources working on it, but I enjoyed my time with it. Meeting real people out in the world and trading with them and exchanging pointers was really cool for the first few weeks. I haven't minded the additions and adjustments they've made over the past year. I get the fan backlash, but I've mostly been on the side of, hey, they're trying stuff out to see what works. That said, Fallout 1st is fucking insulting. Adding content fans have been asking for since the game's announcement behind an expensive paywall is the first thing BGS has done that actually made me feel offended as a fan.

As for The Outer Worlds, I'm really enjoying it. It's definitely a breath of fresh air where action RPGs are concerned, and I'm also excited about the future of the franchise, but I haven't fallen in love with it, at least not yet. I don't know if it's that the cartoony graphics keep it from feeling "real," or that the main story isn't particularly engaging, or that I don't feel connected to the Unreliable and its inhabitants they way I did to the Normandy and its crew in Mass Effect, but something just isn't clicking for me. Again, I am really enjoying the game, and I love that I keep discovering new things about it, but it hasn't given me that warm, I-feel-like-I'm-home-when-I'm-playing-this feeling that the Bethesda games have.

I really just hope the more negative feedback Bethesda gets, the more it slaps them in the face and makes them realize what the people who play their games are looking for. I'm still looking forward to their upcoming games and hope they somehow manage to recapture what made their 2006-2011 run so special, but the past year definitely has me managing my expectations. Let's not forget that their next release is a sci-fi game, which basically has to be at least comparable to The Outer Worlds in every way if they want to escape the "Obsidian did it better" jail they've been in since New Vegas came out in 2010.
    Last edited by Toadflax; 10-30-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    All very good points! I agree with FO4, it disappointed me but i did play it 3 times...but that might just be because i had no other games like that to play. Bethesda has held the market for these kind of games, nobody has come close until Outer Worlds, and FO3 and NV were stuck on my broken PC, so the only way to Scratch the ich was replay FO4. I do really think Outer Worlds is a better game though, for me at least. Where FO4 none of your choices actually mattered, dialog and skills basically meant nothing as long as you had a more powerful gun, it was definitely made toward a more mainstream audience. Outer Worlds actively WANTS you to Role Play, it isn't holding your hand, and the game gets really good when you do. Obviously this isn't for everyone and it has it's issues, but it's potential is fantasic. With a larger budget and more free rain to cut loose a follow up could be on Skyrim levels of excellent.
    Bethesda on the other hand just need to stop thinking about how to monetize their fan base and go back to what they do/did best, making immense open worlds people want to get lost in. They had no competition before so they became complacent, but now they have a reason to pull their finger out...i just hope they are listening.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    As for The Outer Worlds, I'm really enjoying it It's definitely a breath of fresh air where action RPGs are concerned, and I'm also excited about the future of the franchise, but I haven't fallen in love with it, at least not yet. I don't know if it's that the cartoony graphics keep it from feeling "real," or that the main story isn't particularly engaging, or that I don't feel connected to the Unreliable and its inhabitants they way I did to the Normandy and its crew in Mass Effect, but something just isn't clicking for me. Again, I am really enjoying the game, and I love that I keep discovering new things about it, but it hasn't given me that warm, I-feel-like-I'm-home-when-I'm-playing-this feeling that the Bethesda games have.
    Pretty much how I feel about The Outer Worlds to a T. Not to derail too much, but basically as a new father I'm in to any familiar feeling games that I can just sink 30 minutes in to and then walk away if I need to lol. I don't feel a ton of investment like you said, the story and characters are a TOUCH on the bland side...but that's good for me. I'm afraid when Cyberpunk 2077 comes out that my family won't see me for weeks. :P

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Kind of reminds me of Star Wars: Galaxies and the gatekeeping that went on with Elder Jedi/Jedi.

For those interested, the past two episodes of Castle Super Beast have excellent breakdowns off the latest Fallout junk.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    YES PLEASE.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Todd Howard today upon being asked if the Fallout IP would be handed off (since it's Starfield next, THEN Elder Scrolls VI, and THEN maybe a new Fallout):

"Fallout is really part of our DNA here. We've worked with other people, and I can't really say what's going to happen, but we have a 'one pager' on Fallout 5...what we wanna do with it."

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Todd Howard today upon being asked if the Fallout IP would be handed off (since it's Starfield next, THEN Elder Scrolls VI, and THEN maybe a new Fallout):

"Fallout is really part of our DNA here. We've worked with other people, and I can't really say what's going to happen, but we have a 'one pager' on Fallout 5...what we wanna do with it."
    Yeah, that was a bummer to hear. Obviously, I know it's years away with Starfield and ES6 on the immediate horizon, but hearing -- on Fallout 4's 6th birthday, no less -- that they have one page of notes for Fallout 5 is pretty heartbreaking.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Speaking of the Amazon Prime series coming...

Walton Goggins has been cast as the lead!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    What a casting choice. He is solid in everything he does!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Finally got into Fallout New Vegas on Steam. Finished with the House ending first. The story, the quests, the endless choices, can’t believe it took me so long to appreciate it. I will admit I’m a total cheater and used god mode after I got into a ridiculous unresolveable contretemps with the Powder Gangers after I’d finished the Gunfight in Goodsprings. I’m used to FPS or survival horror on consoles where there are not many cheats, at least not on first playthrough

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Whoa!