Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Jay-Z

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Jay-Z

Yeezy is burning up, not to be outdone if in my opinion, the best rapper of all time, Jay-Z. He has a new album coming out and unfortunately the release method is stupid as fuck. We have a tracklist for it though.

1.Picasso baby
    2.Versus
    3.Tom Ford
    4. Beach Is Better
    5. FuckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt
    6. Oceans
    7. F.U.T.W.
    8. Part II (On the Run)
    9. BBC
    10. La Familia
    11. Jay-Z Blue
    12. Nickles & Dimes - See more at: http://www.vibe.com/article/jay-z-ma....vpp4GTD4.dpuf

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Could you please explain what's good about him?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Jay-Z is not the best rapper of all time. His voice is annoying for one thing. His strength is clever lyrics. Nas is the greatest.

Anyways, Jay-Z is fully corporate. Money is #1 for him and he just makes albums now to cash in.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Jay-Z from about 1998 till 2003 was as good as a lyricist as there was, not just in the rap game, but overall. He could be menacing, charming, insightful and jarring. He was also aided by some of the best production work of that time. Seriously, Kanye West's production on The Blueprint is fucking amazing, not to mention that album came at the height of him being the most dissed artist at the time, he took that and became the king. I think he actually has a grasp on social issues as well and can paint vivid portraits of hard life as well as living it up. He's an artist of the time for me, when I was in high school, he was the biggest and best emcee in the game and up until American Gangster, he'd put out just awesome material.

EDIT: Nas is overrated, he's lived off the goodwill off one album, while putting out mediocre to just good material for the rest of his career. And that album he did with Damien Marley is a fucking joke.
    Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 06-22-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Every album from Reasonable Doubt to The Black Album varies from amazing to great. After that he just got lazy and lacked inspiration/hunger. Kingdom Come and Blueprint 3 were both abominations, and he lost a lot of my respect after those releases.

American Gangster and his verses in Watch the Throne shows that he still has some fire left, but the whole marketing scheme surrounding the new album puts a sour taste in my mouth, especially after Kanye just dropped an album without a single, music vid, or even album artwork - meanwhile, Jay-Z has a marquee commercial during the NBA Finals as he muses with Rick Rubin on the couch of his posh studio for 3 minutes (it's almost like Kanye went out of his way to create the complete antithesis to Jay-Z's commercialized bullshit)

Also, I'd go Jay-Z > Nas - overall, they are both great lyricists, but Nas never had an ear for catchy music the same way Jay-Z did.
    Last edited by Presideo; 06-23-2013 at 04:08 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Agreed about all of these previous comments. He shouldve stopped after Black Album. Everything after that has been garbage except American Gangster. FOr those of you who dont know I suggest downloading 9th Wonders remix of that album. It makes it even better IMO.

After hearing JayZ almost single-handedly sink Watch The Throne with his tired flow and stupid lyrics I am not expecting much this time around.

I will assume that there will be plenty of amazing beats though, and for that reason I will be checking it out.

Since everyone mentioned NAS I will too. The world rightfully says that Nas destroyed JayZ with Ether but noone ever mentions Jay's response on Blueprint2 title track second verse.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Everyone's thoughts on MCHG? Just finished my first listen through...very modern, lots of topical references but compared to 'Yeezus' (which, we all know, it will be undoubtedly)...it's way more traditional hip hop. Loving it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Working my way through it right now. The first track with JT is great. But I feel like the effect of this album is going to be hampered just a bit because I'm STILL riding on the high that is Yeezus.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I found it to be so painfully average, it hurts.

I did like a couple tracks, the Beyonce featured song has this weird almost Neon Indian instrumental thing going on and Oceans was cool...but it's so traditional hip hop that I just get a little bored with after awhile. Not that traditional hip hop in 2013 is a bad thing, some guys make it work for them...but I'm just not impressed with anything I've heard on this album.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Pretty annoying that any time i try to watch a cat video on youtube an ad for jayz comes up, and for 5 seconds im forced to hear him ramble some shit while rick rubin lies on the couch nodding his stupid head.

So JayZ is a sport agent now? and he uses one of his songs to take a jab at another famous agent that he stole and athlete from?

You have to respect his business mind I suppose.

I will keep saying that he shouldve stopped after the Black Album.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    It's good, way better than BP3, probably as good as American Gangster. It's no Yeezus, but it's accessible and pretty fun honestly.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I feel like i could review any new JayZ album without actually listnening to it.

This article makes me feel that i am right.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musi...a-first-listen

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    I don't give a honest fuck for Jay-Z but the Tom Ford track is good. I heard the release for this album was ass. I don't know what the point of releasing it on a phone/tablet app was. Publicity for a new means of release?

Jay-Z is good for what he does but I also don't classify him as one of the greatest rappers ever. Then again, it is subject to opinion. Eazy-E is probably my favorite traditional rapper but he's long gone unfortunately.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i keep hearing good things about his personality (was puzzled by his appearance on the daily show though), but seriously, is it a contractual obligation to use the N word right away for some sort of street cred? bet the guy hangs out with hedge fund white dues like there's no tomorrow.

have to admit i don't listen to rap music because when vocals aren't used as an instrument, i can't help but listen to what's being said, and rap music just makes me cringe (mostly carefree misogyny) to the point of making me quickly switch to something else. there are exceptions, of course, like Saul Williams's TR's produced record, and also this:

Last edited by konstantin; 07-04-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's just difficult to believe that Jay-Z actually made a bad album, isn't it?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I think this album is getting far too muck flack. Is it a classic? No. But does it have some great beats and clever wordplay? Yes. It's infinitely less slick and commercial than Blueprint 3, that's for sure. He's comfortable and happy but he's got some good introspective thoughts on here too. He's in an interesting position as most rappers either die or burn out and become washed up by the time they hit his age, so very few rappers have had to deal with life and success and staying relevant for so long. I think he's doing a pretty good job. Besides, he's given the world so much fantastic rap music, I'll forgive a somewhat mediocre outing. We all forgave Blueprint 2/2.1 and continued to love his music and give him a chance, didn't we?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Took me a few days to finally listen to this. It's certainly miles better than Blueprint 3, but there are still some nagging downsides to Magna Carta. The production is pretty damn good all-around - Timbaland and co. did a good just of compiling interesting, inovative beats throughout. However, Jay-Z has little to say during any of the album. He brags about high-end cars and fashion designers that nobody has heard of, nor cares about. He mentions Basquiat more than his family, showing he truly has has priorities in order. The song 'Jay-Z Blue', probably the most introspective song off the album, comes off as some shoddy SNL/Onion spoof. His hooks are lazy and he usually needs samples to carry them. The guests artists are predictable (Rihanna couldn't phone-in a chorus?) and they add little to the finished product - like everybody else, they're on cruise-control, waiting for their checks to clear.

There are some bright spots. Songs like Tom Ford shows that Jay can still make a catchy Izzo-like jam if he feels up to it. And Oceans, Crowns, and Nickels and Dimes are pretty great overall (props for the Gonjasufi sample, too) Also, no way Beach is Better should have been left to under a minute - that's a travesty!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presideo View Post
    Also, no way Beach is Better should have been left to under a minute - that's a travesty!
    I read a tweet from Jay-Z where he said that he wanted it to be like vacation--much too short!

While I agree with you it's arguably the best thing on the album, it's funny that was his response to everybody complaining about it being too short.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Y'all gotta start droppin' those hyphens, son!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I listened to the new album once. Probably will never go back to it. But hey, I've never liked Jay-Z. I honestly don't know how he's so famous, his rhythm is awkward and his voice is not that great.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    i have to admit, i was a bit disappointed with this one..but some of it is pretty damn catchy.
    but this is album number what...13 if you count WTT.
    Not everything is gonna be perfect.