Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: David Lynch directs the "Came Back Haunted" video!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

David Lynch directs the "Came Back Haunted" video!

Great news!!
    Didn't someone actually say this on here??

David Lynch is set to join forces with Nine Inch Nails in order to direct the video for their song 'Came Back Haunted'.

The band's frontman Trent Reznor tweeted a picture of himself and the legendary film director earlier today (June 18) and Pitchfork reports that the pair are once again.

http://www.nme.com/news/nine-inch-nails/70948

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

David Lynch to direct "Came Back Haunted" video!

oooohhh this is giving me Deep flashbacks

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    oooohhh this is giving me Deep flashbacks
    How deep?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I thought this was somewhere around here, so a new vid next month sounds great... let's see how this works out

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I'm expecting the worst. But then again, this could be the greatest thing, so...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Too late. Nothing will ever beat @|mando| 's video:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...1696#post91696

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    For real??? That's sensational news, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Alright! So we have 1/3 chance we won't actually see the video. Bets are on!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Alright! So we have 1/3 chance we won't actually see the video. Bets are on!
    hahahahhahahahahhaahha hopefully this time we see the video

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    Too late. Nothing will ever beat @|mando| 's video:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...1696#post91696
    I can't help but picture this video in my head every time I listen to the song now.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I really wish they would do a video for the next single instead. I don't know if Came Back Haunted can capture the public like a "The Perfect Drug"-type song could.

Nevertheless, the video itself should be more than interesting enough...
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 06-20-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    The only reason Lost Highway or The Perfect Drug got as much hype and attention back then was because Trent was at his peak as a celebrity. If he hadn't been involved in the soundtrack, it's doubtful anyone outside of Lynch's core audience would have given two shits about either.

CBH is five times as catchy as The Perfect Drug. If Trent released The Perfect Drug today, it would generate zero public interest.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    The only reason Lost Highway or The Perfect Drug got as much hype and attention back then was because Trent was at his peak as a celebrity. If he hadn't been involved in the soundtrack, it's doubtful anyone outside of Lynch's core audience would have given two shits about either.

CBH is five times as catchy as The Perfect Drug. If Trent released The Perfect Drug today, it would generate zero public interest.
    while i will agree that trent's involvement got more people into it, it wasn't just him. the soundtrack also has a smashing pumpkins song, some david bowie, and various other artists who all have pretty big fan bases. it was also the only film to ever advertise having gotten two thumbs down from siskel & ebert. it garnered plenty of attention on its own.

and i highly doubt you're correct about your second point.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Am I losing my mind or were there plans for a further collaboration between Reznor and Lynch after Lost Highway? I can't find anything on the subject.
    (...before Came Back Haunted, in case that isn't obvious.)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    while i will agree that trent's involvement got more people into it, it wasn't just him. the soundtrack also has a smashing pumpkins song, some david bowie, and various other artists who all have pretty big fan bases. it was also the only film to ever advertise having gotten two thumbs down from siskel & ebert. it garnered plenty of attention on its own.

and i highly doubt you're correct about your second point.
    It was Lynch's first film since the Twin Peaks era, as well. Also, let's not forget the soundtrack included an outtake from 'Antichrist Superstar' (Manson was considered a posterboy for goth/scary at this time). Then there's Rammstein; this was around when Du Hast was blowing up over here in the States.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Dying to see what Trent and Dave Letterman are up to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I miss Lynch. He wasn't doing any film work for a while. Hey, and Trent wasn't doing NIN for a while. I guess this means they are both coming back... uh... *don't say it*

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Came Back Haunted seems like good subject matter for a Lynch film from a thematic standpoint. My secret little hope is that this video (or something like it) sparks Lynch into making another feature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    just bought some david lynch coffee just to get ready for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great, two heros working together, this month is a shock of great nin news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Trent just announced that the video will be out at the END OF THE WEEK!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Its just wishful thinking on my part, but I think it would be great if Trent called up film directors he knows from previous projects to direct other videos for Hesitation Marks. Just off the top of my head:

Shinya Tsukamoto: I think Tsukamoto's frenetic cyberpunk style would be spot on for a NIN music video. You could probably play the Tetsuo movies and Bullet Ballet on mute and play some NIN over them and they would go together.

David Fincher: Fincher is open to music videos again, having directed a Timberlake video, so it would be nice if he did a quip pro quo for the guy who scored his last two movies. I thought his Only video was OK, but I think he could do more than that if he had another shot at it. Something more in the line of his Perfect Circle video. The opening to Seven is, in a way, kind of a great music video to the Closer remix. I also think the opening to Dragon Tattoo for Immigrant Song was fantastic.

Oliver Stone: Stone's movie output lately hasn't been his best, but I think he still does interesting things with visuals in his films. His visual style from U-Turn and Savages could work for a NIN video.

John Hillcoat: I thought the Ice Age video was decent, but his films look like they would visually fit in with NIN. Especially something that looked like The Road.

Mark Romanek: He's a film director now so he qualifies. I'm always down for another Reznor/Romanek video.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 06-26-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    David Fincher: Fincher is open to music videos again, having directed a Timberlake video, so it would be nice if he did a quip pro quo for the guy who scored his last two movies. I thought his Only video was OK, but I think he could do more than that if he had another shot at it.
    The Only video felt like an experiment to mess around with 3D ideas and looked more like an Apple ad than a music video.
    Trent should call Mark Romanek while he's messing around with TDS imagery, but him to choose David Lynch is kinda mind blowing to be honest, and couldn't expect anything cooler I have to add.

Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    The opening to Seven is, in a way, kind of a great music video to the Closer remix.
    Those opening titles were done by Kyle Cooper from Imaginary Forces. He now runs Prologue and still works with opening titles for movies and motion graphics. I'd love to see him working with NIN material to create some visuals.
    Last edited by hobochic; 06-26-2013 at 03:26 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The Only video got me into Nine Inch Nails in the first place, in my opinion it does a superb job of capturing the song's vibe, pace and theme.
    I'd love to see Tsukamoto try his hand at a NIN video though.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Man, I really can't wait to see this. That picture NIN put up from the shooting of the video has me all kinds of pumped and eagerly awaiting it. I could totally use a Nine Inch Nails video too to liven up my days at my new job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Recent story about David Lynch

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywo...ovies-business

"It's a very depressing picture. With alternative cinema – any sort of cinema that isn't mainstream – you're fresh out of luck in terms of getting theatre space and having people come to see it. Even if I had a big idea, the world is different now," the filmmaker recently told The Independent. "Unfortunately, my ideas are not what you'd call commercial, and money really drives the boat these days. So I don't know what my future is. I don't have a clue what I'm going to be able to do in the world of cinema."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Preview pics of the video

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-clip-20130627

Says it premieres tomorrow on Vevo

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'd love it if Trent did some work on Lynch's next album (after The Big Dream of course). Crazy Clown Time isn't for everybody, but it was one of my favorite albums of 2011, and I'd love to see what Trent could do on a David Lynch track.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Lynch is kinda past his prime. Looks like they shot the video on DSLR, so i'm not expecting great things.

Give Rob S. a decent budget, and he'll do better than Lynch.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    ...and people are already bitching without seeing the video.