Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Silent Hill

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Ugh, really pissed off to hear this

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    wow, well its pretty clear Konami no longer want to invest in making AAA games. Thats a real shame as they own some classic and fantastic IP.. but alas, maybe they will sell off some of those properties. I think I'm one of the few people who kinda liked the last few Silent Hill games, Downpour had some good moments, as did homecoming. But they were not a patch on 1, 2 or 4. (I liked 4...)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    They seem pretty certain that they're going to continue the metal gear franchise. So, while Silent Hills may have gotten cancelled, I don't doubt that there will be another one from them at some point. I won't buy it though. Maybe a used copy. But I don't think they're getting away from AAA games at all. Just giving the boot to someone who brings in a shit ton of money. They also have Castlevania (who knows the deal with that?).

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Eh, whatever. I played the P.T. demo. I wonder if it's on my console if it's still able to be played, even after the remove it? Xbox Live arcade games would/did. Don't see why that wouldn't happen here.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    There was just everything to like about Silent Hills.

It was like a supergroup collaboration for me, you had Del Toro, Kojima and Reedus (one of my favorite actors), to top it all off it would be a Silent Hill game.

I am so mad right now.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yes, I assume this either a budgetary issue, or a personal, probably drug related issue with Kojima.

On thome hand, I cant name really any Konami games outside of MGS that I have played in the last ten years, i can see that the whole of their budget being dumped on to one or two games, inconsistent franchises with really only cult interest, i can see that basically having been a bad idea, especially in this climate of cheap mobile gaming, and chop-it- up dlc marketing.

On the other hand you have wacky ol' Kojima, a self obsessed, over the top, big personality type, i wouldnt be surprised if he had some kind of drug problem, and i dont know how the privacy of those matters is handled over in Japan, but the whole incident reminds me of a rehab stint type deal minus the media blitz.

Silent Hills was possibly THE most exciting thing on the horizon. The demo being the best thing ive played in ages, perhaps being among the best horror games of all time as it was. Del Toro was always the most exciting element to me, but Kojima was always the most concerning, i have never had much respect for him. I guess that's the hole that sunk the boat.

The only comparable artistic loss in recent memory is that lucasarts Boba Fett game. Sad, sad story here.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Where are you getting the drug problem thing from? I think the safe bet is that Kojima and Konami had a disagreement. And everything after is Konami's way of dealing with it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    It is only fitting that Silent Hills end this way. It drew us in with a sense of hope, maybe a resurrection of the beloved franchise. Then in a gut-wrenching twist ending, we discover that the very people who gave us hope for the game, are the same ones who killed it. No Rebirth ending here, just… In Water.

What a nutshot this whole thing is.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    People are selling their consoles with PT installed for about a grand... Insane... Why do I have a feeling that a few people will actually pay it?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I couldn't be more disheartened. I adore the original Team Silent games and PT was the best survival horror experience I'd had in a long while. I just hope Kojima and del Toro find someplace to make something similar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm with everyone on this, when Silent Hills was announced I was afraid it was a little too good to be true. Especially with Silent Hill being one of my favorite series if not my favorite series of all time (the first 3 at least....4 was good as well though).

I just hope that something decent will come of this, PT was excellent and really fucking scary. I hope the next SH title, when it inevitably does happen, can come close to the quality of it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Kojima will do something after he leaves Konami. Maybe it'll be what was intended to be SH. Obviously it can't be a complete knock off of Silent Hill. But, I'd be curious to see him do horror.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    What a shame. Will we ever know the full story behind it?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    If we DO ever get the full story, it's not gonna be until after all the dust has settled, but I only think that because details have been SO leak-proof. It has to be something pretty intense for all parties to just be completely closed-lipped about it to the public.

Or it's just some big dumb Kojima stunt, which could be totally be the case, and you ALL know that could be true. :P

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Kojima has been extremely quiet since the rumors started of him leaving. Konami throws out a few vague PR statements to try sweeping it under the rug, unsuccessfully. I don't think there's been a single peep from Kojima, about anything.

There's been rumors about what's been going on behind the scenes. Those are rumors though. Something really bad had to have happened though for Konami to deal with this the way they have.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Well, here is to hoping that after the umbilical is cut, Kojima gets together with his pals del Toro and Reedus, and on their own they make an awesome new game called… Soundless Knolls, and we all get to play the shit out of it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Well, there's this, apparently. I dunno if it'll go anywhere at all, but hey. Never know.

https://www.change.org/p/kojima-prod...tition-updates

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    So it looks like Konami is going after mobile gaming at this point. I don’t believe I’d ever play any new SH title if it were a smartphone only game, a depressing thought. At this point I’d like to see Konami just sell the franchise to someone who would do it justice, but I doubt they will. Global game console sales are still doing pretty good. I’m not sure I see the logic of pulling out now? P.T. put Silent Hill back on the radar for a lot of people, Konami had to recognize that as well as the potential for a lot of $$$. And still, no? Their company, their property, their call, but man, I’d hate to see it go down this way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A rumour popped up today that Microsoft is throwing gobs & gobs of money at Konami to buy Silent Hills & make it an Xbox One exclusive. Supposedly they're trying to rush the deal so Microsoft can announce it at E3. There's a lot to be skeptical of here but fucking hell if being an Xbone exclusive means this game will actually see the light of day I'm 100% on board.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Sort of makes them a villain and hero at the same time, being that theyre the ones who got PT pulled. To really make it mean something, all of the powers that be have to be back on board, though.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Seconded. If that's what happens, I'll wait to see how it all develops, but hot damn, would they have my attention.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I hope Microsoft does it.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    If it happens there better be a god damn PC version that's all i gotta say.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I’m not sure what I’m reading here. Microsoft wants to buy Silent Hill (the franchise) as an exclusive, or just the rights to Silent Hills (the game) as an exclusive? Billions seems a tad much for just the one game, so I’m guessing they’d be trying to buy the whole kit and caboodle, right? And even then, billions? Are we talking yen or dollars here?

In any event, if this thing goes down I may convert to Xbox (god help me).

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Exactly, i dont think Silent hill is worth nearly billions of dollars, but saving the xbox one and giving it a compelling exclusive? Definitely.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Exactly, i dont think Silent hill is worth nearly billions of dollars...
    The billions thing makes this rumor hard to swallow. According to reports Destiny is the most expensive game ever at 500 million, and it has a massive following with at least 16 million registered players. Silent Hill game sales have never been even close to that, and has a comparatively niche following. Even PT being a freebie only had around a million downloads. The fan base for Silent Hill can be rabid, but it isn’t nearly as big as others. I’m sure there is still profit to be made from Silent Hill, but at an investment point of billions, Microsoft would have to milk this thing for decades to see a return. Unless they plan to turn SH into a massively multiplayer shared-world online shooter with elements of rpg.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I gave all of this a little thought just now, and honestly, if they simply put PT back up on the PSN, even with a price tag and a guarantee that Silent Hills will never be made, I'd probably be waaay more inclined to let some of their cluster-fuckery slide.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I gave all of this a little thought just now, and honestly, if they simply put PT back up on the PSN, even with a price tag and a guarantee that Silent Hills will never be made, I'd probably be waaay more inclined to let some of their cluster-fuckery slide.
    That PT even got to exist at all was amazing. Getting the property out of the hands of western developers for just long enough to make a playable teaser had almost miraculous results. People were actually excited about SH again, it was relevant again. Not trying to dog Double Helix or the Tomm Hulett years, but they were making budget titles with the formula of repackaging the SH2 model over and over, which was getting pretty stale.

So Hideo brings to the table a passion to return the series to respectability as a AAA horror title. Konami pulls the plug on it. Fan backlash is intense. And Konami issues an apology stating,

“We are aware that the conjecture surrounding our recent changes has prompted a great deal of anxiety, for which we apologize.”

“The Metal Gear and Silent Hill series, both beloved by countless fans around the globe, are also extremely important to Konami. We have nurtured them with care over many years since their inception, and will continue to produce products for both franchises, but we are not currently at a stage where we can announce the path these future titles will take.”

“Konami will continue to embrace the challenge of creating entertainment content via different platforms; across not only mobile platforms, but for home consoles, arcade units, and cards, to meet the changing needs of the times. Your support for our current endeavors, and your spurring us on to greater heights, are as always deeply appreciated.”

At this point I very much doubt that we will see any new Silent Hill installment on the current generation of console, which if rumors are correct, may be current for only a couple more years anyway. Yeah, it feels like I’m being a downer right now. Sorry.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm over it at this point. And I'm over konami. I'm still buying TPP, but after that, I'm done. They're going to have to really turn things around for me to even remotely be interested.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Minus MGS I was never a huge Konami fan. I was always a Capcom fan.