Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN-Spotting 2013 (Part 2/2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i can do without the cross cross cross references in a music review.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ripedecay View Post
    yeah i can do without the cross cross cross references in a music review.
    Laughed at the bit about it being Radiohead that you can dance to though

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Well Thom Yorke dances to it. And I like to think I'm as good a dancer as Thom Yorke.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Very positive, yet to me partially incomprehensible, review from Spin

http://www.spin.com/reviews/nine-inch-nails-hesitation-marks-trent-reznor-columbia-acid/
    That is some of the worst writing I have ever seen. It's like everything that's bad about too-hip-for-thou music critic writing X10.

Granted, I'm glad the critic enjoyed the album, but OY VEY.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Through his own twisted K-hole, #ARTPOP icon Reznor is once again one of the most vital artists working today, coming back haunted, breaking the habitual. Let's get physical.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ^^
    Has the writer just left college? Seems to be doing their best to link literally everything to everything else in a 'look how knowledgeabe I am' kinda way. Deeply annoying review that one, even though they gave the album a 9!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Now that's more like it.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    ^^
    Has the writer just left college? Seems to be doing their best to link literally everything to everything else in a 'look how knowledgeabe I am' kinda way. Deeply annoying review that one, even though they gave the album a 9!
    I really like reviews like that. If a music critic is just saying "I liked it" or "I didn't like it," who cares? I don't know that guy, her or his opinion is totally irrelevant to me. But when they actually try and contextualize the music and look at historically, it not only gives me something to think about, it also gives me a ton of new things to go check out. That, to me, is exactly what a critic should be doing. Even if this was mildly pretentious.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    Even if this was mildly pretentious.
    Calling this "mildly pretentious" is like calling 9/11 a small aviation accident, IMO.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Even if this was mildly pretentious.
    "Mildly?"

There's a whole world of difference between writing a review that attempts to contextualize the music versus writing a review that's only comprehensible to people who are familiar with all 700 individual points of comparison. I'm familiar with a lot of the other music the SPIN writer references and it's still unclear what he's trying to say at times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Laughed at the bit about it being Radiohead that you can dance to though
    i can def see myself having Find My Way on while having an intimate sesh with lady and then getting up during All Time Low and bumping and grinding twerking and werking it.

Radiohead seemed like they had brief glimpses of being dancy, but can def understand the reference.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I actually really liked the Spin review. For pretension, look no further than Consequence of Sound. They're pretending to be a music review site, when in fact their primary goal seems to be jamming some garbage in between ads.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I agree with this from that review "The easy answer is, it plays just like a lot of NIN records do upon first listen: it's a little jarring, sometimes confusing, and only occasionally thrilling. Reznor almost seems to construct albums this way on purpose, knowing full well that each subsequent listen will reveal a little more, come across as a little less discombobulating. Before ya know it, you find yourself picking out two or three favorite songs in addition to the singles you've already decided to get in bed with, and a few listens after that, you're trying to figure out what hyperbolic phrase best suits your feelings about this new batch of NIN songs"

I've just found Disappointed and All Time Low take over from Copy of A as my favourite

Here's a review from LA Times
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,6030712.story

I enjoyed it mostly but thought they were a bit harsh about the vocals, I thought he was being quite vocally adventurous on this one
    Last edited by WorzelG; 08-30-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I really like reviews like that. If a music critic is just saying "I liked it" or "I didn't like it," who cares? I don't know that guy, her or his opinion is totally irrelevant to me. But when they actually try and contextualize the music and look at historically, it not only gives me something to think about, it also gives me a ton of new things to go check out. That, to me, is exactly what a critic should be doing. Even if this was mildly pretentious.
    I 100% agree with the 'gives you the opportunity to check out other artists' aspect, but really, this was so overtly referential that it started bugging me very quickly! If I knew my HM DE had been dispatched I might be a little calmer and more forgiving, but I'm going nuts here!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Kennedy digs up the 90's and talks about the love triangle with Courtney & her old buddy Trent...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty awesome. Afterwards there was a 2 hour collaborative playlist based around TR and his work/influences. Pretty good stuff. It's listed on the iPlayer as 'Now Playing @6Music' I think.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03939f9

Said playlist includes a Biffy Clyro song which I find hysterical.

(I just started listening to it now, but I'm assuming that link is the list of songs that are played since Hurt is first and that's what I'm listening to... and it's ending right now.... wow, they're letting the ending go on a lot longer than I've ever heard on the radio.... bunch of babbling.... HLAH in the background.... he finally shut up and started playing My Little Universe by Depeche Mode so yeah, this is the playlist. Here's what it is for those that are curious...)

Hurt
    My Little Universe- Depeche Mode
    In Motion (TSN soundtrack)
    Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
    Metal - Gary Numan
    Warm Leatherette - Grace Jones
    The Good Soldier
    I'm Afraid of Americans (v1)
    Staring at the Sun - TV on the Radio
    Immigrant Song (TR, AR and KO version of course)
    That Golden Rule - Biffy Clyro
    Just Like Honey - Jesus and Mary Chain
    HLAH - Devo
    Dead Souls - Joy Division
    Hand Covers Bruise
    The Perfect Drug
    Mantra
    Hallo Spaceboy (live)
    Ich Bin Ein Auslander - PWEI
    Get Down Make Love - Queen
    Into the Void - (just to clarify NIN, not Sabbath)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm so glad Columbia keeps paying people to make lame comments on websites:

http://www.antiquiet.com/reviews/201...comment-155909

(not really)

But anyway, actual NIN spotting here, NIN cap featured prominently on a decidely un-NIN music video:

Maybe that barely counts as NIN-spotting too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post

(not really)

But anyway, actual NIN spotting here, NIN cap featured prominently on a decidely un-NIN music video:

Maybe that barely counts as NIN-spotting too...
    Hmm, well that's odd...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Not NIN spotting in the first degree, but on my way into an indie record shop yesterday I saw a whole wall of Biffy Clyro tour posters, and I wanted to vomit.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)

While they seem to have done a pretty good job of getting him higher profile interviews and reviews, I definitely feel like Columbia's online marketing is lacking. Now, I realize you guys have to deal with this stuff all the time - I'm only really dealing with it now that NIN has an album out. But man, "It's well worth the purchase!" I know I write some cheese-mo shit when I'm posting on the Hotline, but fuck me that's terrible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
    Hmm, well that's odd...
    I think that is awesome. I watched it on mute, but I still think its awesome.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    But man, "It's well worth the purchase!"
    To be fair, it is well worth the purchase.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    While they seem to have done a pretty good job of getting him higher profile interviews and reviews, I definitely feel like Columbia's online marketing is lacking. Now, I realize you guys have to deal with this stuff all the time - I'm only really dealing with it now that NIN has an album out. But man, "It's well worth the purchase!" I know I write some cheese-mo shit when I'm posting on the Hotline, but fuck me that's terrible.
    Our quota of HTDA/NIN spam comments are like twice as much as those from any other band. Maybe three times as much. Lame, considering we're already doing a pretty good job of linking the preorders and tour dates and whatnot.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    HDTracks mentions that a NIN release will come up next week on their website. https://twitter.com/HDtracks/status/373486548542451712

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Amanda Palmer shared her thoughts about Trent and NIN returning to a major label after Trent gave her an indirect shout-out in that SPIN interview:

http://amandapalmer.net/blog/20130830/

AFP tends to ramble in her blog posts, but the mention/discussion of Trent is right near the top. She doesn't really talk about him (beyond being grateful for Trent defending the Dresden Dolls back in '05 during one of the WT tours), just uses his mention as a platform to share her thoughts on major label v. independent in 2013. There's also a link to store.nin.com at the bottom of the blog: "it costs $10, or go fuck yourself. "

A side-note, she also revealed in her last blog that her Kickstarter-funded album actually lost money, so there's that.
    Last edited by gorast; 08-30-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post

A side-note, she also revealed in her last blog that her Kickstarter-funded album actually lost money, so there's that.
    hahahaha what?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    hahahaha what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Palmer
    but what WAS i even doing?
    fucked if i know.
    the tour, while full of love and massive enthusiasm and over-the-top reviews, was cut short by my decision to stay home with anthony while he dealt with his cancer.
    the album, while critically hailed by the magazines and papers and deeply loved by the fanbase, was a commercial disaster compared to everyone’s enthusiastic projections.
    it lost money.
    From here.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    From here.
    I thought the point of Kickstarter was to get things "funded"? People donate precisely the money necessary to pay for the costs of it, and a little extra for profit.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I would think the album itself didn't lose the money, people in charge of the spending the money lost it.

In somewhat on-topic news, the Consequence of Sound guy who reviewed the album, giving it the lowest rating by far that I've seen, who cited David Fincher instead of Chuck Palahniuk, who bungled the lyrics, who compared the production of "All Time Low" to "Down In It" - has brushed off my comparison of his review to Spin's, having lumped me in with poor-mannered "haters."

I think anyone here who's seen me make the rounds knows that I'm not going to give you grief for not liking the same things I like. Am I being poor-mannered in comparing two articles by two journalists and saying one's better? I know it's getting meta, reviewing reviews, and I don't know where I'm going with this sentence. I kind of hope he continues to engage me. I'm curious to see if he continues with the "hater" brush-off (whenever I see the word hater I think of Fred Durst talking) or if he cops to sucking at his job. Or something else! Who knows!