Page 24 of 241 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 74 124 ... LastLast

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "Heyyyyy! yeah! While I'm Still Here"

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    The Eater of Dreams reminds me of Metallica's Harvester of Sorrow. I imagine the chorus is very apocalyptic sounding, like a hell storm. THE EATER!!!! (then the insane hell storm riff) OF/DREAMS! (insane riff sound continues). then this repeats 2-4 times.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure The Eater of Dreams is only 52 seconds long.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Copy of A is actually about Trent recording The Fonz

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    The Eater of Dreams reminds me of Metallica's Harvester of Sorrow.
    I do love songs about emotional farmyard equipment. I've always wished Metallica would have followed up that one with a JCB of Truculence, or a Potato Planter of PMS. Trent's yet to show any agricultural leanings in his oevre to date though, sadly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I do love songs about emotional farmyard equipment. I've always wished Metallica would have followed up that one with a JCB of Truculence, or a Potato Planter of PMS. Trent's yet to show any agricultural leanings in his oevre to date though, sadly.

You do realize that the term harvester was around a long long time before there was a such thing as a harvester machine?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
    You do realize that the term harvester was around a long long time before there was a such thing as a harvester machine?
    It was a joke.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I have paid for Hesitation Marks. Remind me why we have to wait 2 MORE months before we get the digital version?

(it "might" be a rhetorical question, but fair nonetheless)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    "it's my angst, and i need it now!"

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    "various methods of escape" will most likely be an instrumental. it ties right in with "the province of fear", "the sleep of reason..." a. o. - as far as impassioned titles go.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    I have paid for Hesitation Marks. Remind me why we have to wait 2 MORE months before we get the digital version?
    While I'm not expecting a return to The Slip style releases, I have kind of wondered what's the point of putting out a single months ahead of the album's release in the digital era.

Although at least Queens of the Stone Age did release a bunch of teasers in the lead up to their release to build hype. & the live stream from the Wiltern a week or so before the release was pretty cool, think that's what sold me on getting the album.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    While I'm not expecting a return to The Slip style releases, I have kind of wondered what's the point of putting out a single months ahead of the album's release in the digital era.
    The promote the tour and prod people to buy tickets, which went on sale at the same time the song was released.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    The promote the tour and prod people to buy tickets, which went on sale at the same time the song was released.
    But what's the point of waiting two + months to put the album out. It's an instant-gratification world, if I hear the song & like it that would make me want to buy the album.

I just wonder if such "old school" promotion methods really do much these days.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Maybe it wasn't completed early enough to have physical copies ready. I wouldn't think you'd want to sell full digital copies months before the physical versions are ready. Physical copies are almost impulse buys these days (except for vinyl die-hards and collectors, who will buy anyway), and you'd lose all those impulse sales.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Regarding the "why dont i have this now?" Question....

I too, miss the way Ghosts and the Slip were released. I think, though, at releasing a "single" which is something people still do apparently, is part of marketing and hype. Get it ot the "radio" since there are, in fact, people who still are into that sort of thing.

Trent didnt just sign to a label, he signed to a very large, very conventional label, and theyre going to approach this as conventioionally as possible.

I still feel like that choice is rodiculous and its something well all hate in the long run.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

There's bound to be another release prior to the album. Tr is expert in the art of the tease. He knows what he's doing and it works.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I too, miss the way Ghosts and the Slip were released.
    Trent didnt just sign to a label, he signed to a very large, very conventional label, and theyre going to approach this as conventionally as possible.
    I still feel like that choice is rodiculous and its something well all hate in the long run.
    Personally I like the prospect of an old-school launch campaign, with a lengthy run-up, singles, videos, art, interviews, appearances, media features... It's less personal (which corresponds to Trent withdrawing from fan interaction online in recent years), but it makes it easier to get a sense of the album's broader intent and context, and makes it feel more special.

I hope they do a bit more with the campaign, though. It'd be great to see some featurettes delving into the album's creation, or advertising clips like those awesome David Carson ones for The Fragile.

Should probably have posted that in the HM promotion thread, but whatevs.
    Last edited by Vertigo; 07-02-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Personally I like the prospect of an old-school launch campaign, with a lengthy run-up, singles, videos, art, interviews, appearances, media features... It's less personal (which corresponds to Trent withdrawing from fan interaction online in recent years), but it makes it easier to get a sense of the album's broader intent and context, and makes it feel more special.

I hope they do a bit more with the campaign, though. It'd be great to see some featurettes delving into the album's creation, or advertising clips like those awesome David Carson ones for The Fragile.

Should probably have posted that in the HM promotion thread, but whatevs.
    I like it as well, it builds a hype machine to get you interested in the record. I don't think the promotion will be anywhere near fellow label mate Daft Punk had with Columbia this year...but I think it's doing it's job.

Besides, we only got two months before this thing comes out! We'll all be salivating I'm sure in a couple weeks when NIN play Fuji Rock Fest and we hear some new songs live for the first time! I don't think that's happened since...the With Teeth club tours? I think it probably came about during Performance 2007 too with Beginning of the End and Survivalism making their live debuts before Year Zero was released.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    the run up doesn't bother me just, the record deal.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    You know, I was thinking about this..
    Maybe TR agreed to do another nin record because that was part of the agreement in signing HTDA and releasing Welcome Oblivion.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The same guy who told people to steal his album from his record label because of unfair pricing practices? The same guy who nearly (or maybe did) lose money on the LITS tour because the art was so important to him?

You actually think he'd sell out the legacy of his 25-year-long passion in order to secure a deal with a record company for a new band... because why? He couldn't really do it on his own? C'mon.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Well, he DID say he was planning on just making some tracks that sounded like everything they've done so far, and it turned into an album.
    So, why wouldn't he just agree to put that album out on Columbia provided they take HTDA too?

Also, I'd say that going back to a major after all the hubub about labels being useless relics of the past, and that they're model just doesn't make sense anymore, in
    conjunction with sky rocketed concert ticket prices, that Trent's kind of already heading down the "money time" road.

I mean, I KNOW I'm going to get my dick chewed clean off for this..but it's kind of how I see it.
    Last edited by pigpen; 07-02-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    That's not what you said. "Agreeing to do another NIN album" and "just agreeing to put that album out on Columbia" are two different things.

But what you're talking about in any case sounds like a pretty shitty deal, doesn't it? Almost like blackmail. I doubt anyone would take kindly to that. And you're talking about TR.

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    I mean, I KNOW I'm going to get my dick chewed clean off for this..but it's kind of how I see it.
    Dude, seriously, stop posting stuff like this. It's a discussion forum, and people are going to disagree with you (and some will agree with you). Proactively "playing the victim" does nothing for your case, and likely prompts some people to treat you more harshly.
    Last edited by jessamineny; 07-02-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    That's not what you said. "Agreeing to do another NIN album" and "just agreeing to put that album out on Columbia" are two different things.

But what you're talking about in any case sounds like a pretty shitty deal, doesn't it? Almost like blackmail. I doubt anyone would take kindly to that. And you're talking about TR.
    They may be two different things, but I meant the later seeing as I read of the situation surrounding HM's creation, and thus the former makes no sense.
    I'd say it sounds like a Great Deal if what you're trying to do is put nin to bed, and focus on other things. Which he has claimed to want to do in recent times,
    even going as far as doing a fucking WAVE GOODBYE tour!
    Soo, one more record, tour, and a huge paycheck later, he's free to do what he wants, and his other band is in a spectacular position because of it.
    As opposed to not doing any of it, and having to promote HTDA yourself and out of your own pockets..

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    HTDA signed with Columbia in early 2012, he hadn't even started fucking around with Belew then. Go home pigpen, you're drunk

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Well, we're midway through 2013 and TR said he'd spent the last YEAR working on HM.. Which would put it right around that same time.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    Well, we're midway through 2013 and TR said he'd spent the last YEAR working on HM.. Which would put it right around that same time.
    that doesn't mean he signed NIN to columbia simultaneously.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'd say the time frame works perfectly for what I'm desperately trying to convince you of.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Even if the two bands were signed to Columbia at the same time, which isn't unlikely, it doesn't mean one band was bait for the deal.

Isn't it possible that after being independent, TR honestly learned he could benefit from labels in certain ways? And that it just makes no practical sense for his two different bands to be on two different labels? That the explanation is simple and not a conspiracy?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I can imagine that all the online marketing experiments he was involved with for the last years took a chunk of energy and time that could have gone into elaborate creative work. If that's the case I think we'll see a far more music oriented Trent from now on instead of the new media mogul he's kinda become.