Page 225 of 241 FirstFirst ... 125 175 215 223 224 225 226 227 235 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,750 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It's been quite a while since I've given Hesitation Marks a proper listen. From the looks of it, I seem to like the second half of the album more, but I wonder if that has changed by now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Loved it right away and still listen regularly.
    Me too!!! Definitely in my top 3!!!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    It's been quite a while since I've given Hesitation Marks a proper listen. From the looks of it, I seem to like the second half of the album more, but I wonder if that has changed by now.
    I think this too, but the reason why is that most of the songs on the first half had already been heard (except All Time Low) by the time the album came out so the second half was more fresh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Yes!!! LOVE VMOE,IWFY,In Two!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I don't remember that last part about it containing the album. Probably vaporware just like every other better-than-baseline NIN release that didn't come out simultaneously with the regular editions.

The book is called "Cargo in the Blood: The Reverse is Also True"

Russell Mill's website has sent out several updates about over the last few months. Mills has already written the text of the book and production has already begun on large leather portfolios that the book will slip into.

Part of what comes with it as a piece of a giant canvas Mills is working on. Its going to be cut into a couple thosand pieces. Originally the work on the canvas was supposed to be done in May but got pushed to the end of the summer, sometime in the next 3 weeks. After that the piece will be cut up, and packaged with the books.

This is Mills' deal, not Trent's

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Loved it right away and still listen regularly.
    sadly, the opposite for me. Only about 1/2 the album holds up for me: Copy of A, Find My Way, Various Methods (my favorite track, and the only one with truly noticeable live drums), I would For You, In Two & While I'm Still Here. I rarely play the album. damn shame.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JML9 View Post
    Me too!!! Definitely in my top 3!!!
    Yep, it still rules.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    sadly, the opposite for me. Only about 1/2 the album holds up for me: Copy of A, Find My Way, Various Methods (my favorite track, and the only one with truly noticeable live drums), I would For You, In Two & While I'm Still Here. I rarely play the album. damn shame.
    I listened today during my morning jog, still not tired of it!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Honestly, the only song I'm not absolutely in love with is Running, but I'll still occasionally find myself wanting to listen to it. I haven't gotten tired of listening to the album yet, and considering that we're coming up on the one year anniversary of its release, I think that's a pretty good sign.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    it's a good album, but it's just been collecting dust since a month after it was released.

*shrug*

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Honestly, the only song I'm not absolutely in love with is Running, but I'll still occasionally find myself wanting to listen to it. I haven't gotten tired of listening to the album yet, and considering that we're coming up on the one year anniversary of its release, I think that's a pretty good sign.
    the only song i don't like is Find My Way, and While I'm Still Here is only good to me because of the fact that Black Noise segues right out of it, and Black Noise is amazing.
    but, for the most part, i really like the album. it's not my favorite, but it's great. i listened to it the other day for the first time in a while and it still holds up. it's also good for getting stuff done (i did dishes for the whole hour it was playing).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Forgot that I tried to pay attention to the songs I liked most from HM a couple weeks ago. I tried to limit the list to 7, which was kind of hard. Anyway, in album order:
    Copy of A
    All Time Low
    Disappointed
    Everything
    In Two
    While I'm Still Here
    Black Noise

I don't think this is too different from how I felt after a few listens, although I like All Time Low a lot more after hearing it live.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is not a pump you up, feel good, up beat, happy, energetic, good mood album.

A few times now (road trip, fishing in a boat, hanging out with wife in bed) I've put the album on, skipped through the songs and end up not playing any songs from the album. We both love NIN and can find a few songs from any album to play when we are in a good mood. Not HM, not that that's a bad thing... just a very emotional album.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    This is not a pump you up, feel good, up beat, happy, energetic, good mood album.

A few times now (road trip, fishing in a boat, hanging out with wife in bed) I've put the album on, skipped through the songs and end up not playing any songs from the album. We both love NIN and can find a few songs from any album to play when we are in a good mood. Not HM, not that that's a bad thing... just a very emotional album.
    I feel the same way, I only play it to myself with headphones

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    For me, the album is accessible to the point where there are only maybe a couple of tracks I won't play out loud for other people.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    You know I was actually able to make fans out of a few different people with this album. Came Back Haunted has a very wide appeal, Copy of a netted people and Satellite is super catchy; Various Methods and, big shock, Everything were also really good starts for them. It's quickly become a good, easy intro to NIN type album.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    You know I was actually able to make fans out of a few different people with this album. Came Back Haunted has a very wide appeal, Copy of a netted people and Satellite is super catchy; Various Methods and, big shock, Everything were also really good starts for them. It's quickly become a good, easy intro to NIN type album.
    With stuff like In Two and While I'm Still Here I'm surprised. A lot of the albums sound is from various kinds of their career but a few aren't easily accessible, unless you like other stuff, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    With stuff like In Two and While I'm Still Here I'm surprised. A lot of the albums sound is from various kinds of their career but a few aren't easily accessible, unless you like other stuff, in my opinion.
    If anything it allows the album to feel like a sort of potpourri of what NIN is and has been, after it I've been able to ask people their favorite songs and then easily recommend what album would be the best next.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Sometimes I get the impression that TR dislikes and avoids doing or using anything more than once. I was pleasantly surprised and happy to hear the same (similar) synth used in 'A Warm Place' being used in 'Find My Way'. For many reasons the song has become one of my favourite. I recently discovered that buried deep in the ending/outro sounds of 'Find My Way' is a saxophone... I think. It's hard to pick out. (Around 4:45)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I recently discovered that buried deep in the ending/outro sounds of 'Find My Way' is a saxophone... I think. It's hard to pick out. (Around 4:45)
    Holy sh!t, never noticed that before. Not consciously, anyway. Million thanks!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The arpeggio towards the end of "All Time Low" still reminds me of the Final Fantasy Prelude.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I recently discovered that buried deep in the ending/outro sounds of 'Find My Way' is a saxophone... I think. It's hard to pick out. (Around 4:45)
    But you don't mean the synth that also kicks in at the same time, do you? That's definitely not a sax, at least if we're talking about the same thing. It's a lot more present and noticeable when played live. I love it!

Edit:

The synth starts at 4:25

By the way, I was there in Berlin and that performance of Find My Way was fucking breathtaking. I saw it again in Vienna and it wasn't nearly as good there (but still awesome of course).
    Last edited by niggo; 08-27-2014 at 03:31 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    But you don't mean the synth that also kicks in at the same time, do you? That's definitely not a sax, at least if we're talking about the same thing.
    Whoah, that's a twist!

I bet it can go a little deeper.

Excuse me guys, Jelly's drunk again.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I noticed that I like to make a top 5 favorite songs list when it comes to albums. I don't think they've changed much though, but these are my 5 favorite songs from Hesitation Marks so far, as I seem to have been listening to these songs the most out of all of them.

Copy Of A
    All Time Low
    Everything
    Satellite
    Various Methods Of Escape

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    twist!

it can go a little deeper.
    you make it hurt real good

i love, love the paaaaiiinnnn

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    But you don't mean the synth that also kicks in at the same time, do you? That's definitely not a sax, at least if we're talking about the same thing. It's a lot more present and noticeable when played live. I love it!

The synth starts at 4:25

No, I think I hear sax. Let me try to isolate and provide a sample.

See the 4 and 10 second mark for the strongest part. It could be a sax, it could be synth, it could be a creaking door opening to Trents basement.

http://snaapz.hopto.org/nin/find1.mp3
    Last edited by snaapz; 09-02-2014 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Hahah this makes me impressed with myself that I heard it on first listen.
    Seriously though the Find My Way outro is INSANE.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Today is exactly one year since the release of Hesitation Marks. I know you've all been waiting for my 2 cents on the record, so here it is...
    I fucking love it. It's not my favorite NIN album but it does hold a very important place in the NIN catalog. Just like most things NIN, it had to grow on me. But the music that grows on you is the music you love the most and that lasts the longest. Rather than go on for pages about what I love in HM, I'll state my complaints. I have two.

#1- There are so many cool sounds and noises in this record. However, many of them are so quiet in the mix. I hate it. I wish some of them would be just a little louder. It drives me crazy.
    #2- The song "Everything" is not my favorite. I'm not a hater of the tune but to me, it doesn't feel like it fits. In fact, I removed it from the album on my ipod and it feels better this way. Trent said the album started with Everything and Satellite. He said they were both very different and the heavy electronic path that led to Satellite is what interested and inspired him. So that is the path he continued on for the rest of the album. To me, that's exactly how the album feels.
    I've noticed how I rate the tracks on the album is very different than a lot of you on ETS rate them. I find this very interesting. It's difficult to rate them best to worst because I do love the entire album, but I'll try.

1- All Time Low
    2- Came Back Haunted
    3- Disappointed
    4- Various Methods of Escape
    5- Satellite
    6- The Eater/Copy of a
    7- While I'm still Here/Black Noise
    8- In Two
    9- I would For You
    10- Running
    11- Find My Way
    12- Everything
    Last edited by Jordan; 09-03-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    If anything it allows the album to feel like a sort of potpourri of what NIN is and has been, after it I've been able to ask people their favorite songs and then easily recommend what album would be the best next.
    In that case, I'd definitely go for Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth. As for Hesitation Marks, as much as I'd love to give it a proper listen after 1 year, it kind of sucks right now, since all of my headphones are only working on one side again.

But yes, it has definitely stood the test of time for me as one of my most favorite albums that came out after The Fragile.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @elevenism - I can't remember the exact post you said this, but you're right. Far be it from me to be an expert on being an audiophile, but listening to Hesitation Marks on the right headphones does it a lot of justice. Hearing the bass and the layers of some of the melodies that some headphones miss makes it a whole lot better. (I've been having bad luck with headphones over the years, as some of them were never that good to start with, or they just ended up dying on me.)

It just sounded a lot more clearer, thicker and fuller, with more panache or "oomph" if you will, even if it's just on one side. And now to find a decent working pair of headphones... soon...
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-03-2014 at 03:31 PM.