Page 13 of 241 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    But that still would be using self harm as metaphor. Idk, just something that I don't really want to be reading every time I look at my album list?
    But TDS is suicide as a metaphor. Actually not a metaphor, it's a direct reference. Surely no different?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    LOL! Noticed in iTunes on my iPhone that Track 5 of the Deluxe is marked 'explicit'. Guess I know where all the fucks went on this album.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Thinking back to the dark times TR's gone through, considering how he was able to basically build himself back up from the bottom into the person he is today, the album title makes sense with its referencing near suicide. Noting the overt callbacks to prior album artwork, I think it's safe to say that this album is going to be one hell of an introspective reflection piece on TR's life and/or career. It'll be extremely personal, the most personal effort since W_T. And that's when TR shines best, I think - when he's baring his soul. Now that the funky dancy single is out the door and everyone is enjoying its pop simplicities, let the rest come. I am VERY psyched for this, and I think everyone should be. Soon it will be time to start hunting for recordings of new songs as they are performed live, and pages on pages of PM requests....ahhh, it's good to be back on ETS.
    honestly, with the title and TDS looking artwork/font it seems like a stylistic continuation of TDS. maybe i am just reading too much into it, but it really does seem that way to me. it would also make sense for it to be a little less dark sounding in terms of the music/lyrics. i could really see this being TDS part 2.
    Last edited by buckaroo; 06-06-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    No tracklist yet?!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    the single, artwork, tour dates, ticket presale info, merch and music presales weren't enough for you?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Frozen with indecision: deluxe CD, or Vinyl, or both? For now, neither, digital and a T shirt. (not worth paying shipping for standard CD if I'll buy the deluxe and/or vinyl anyway, perhaps via UK retailer)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Mind if I geek? I'm going to geek. Sorry.

The way I look at the title, is that it makes good sense under what appears to be the album's concept. Trent (or the concept protaganist, whatevs) is in a good place - evidenced by a funky, dancy lead single - but is troubled by wounds (whether physical, emotional or in relationships) and bad memories from a darker time in life. We know there's a major retrospective element to the album, with the reprisal of Downward Spiral's font, artist and emphasis on physical art. That album culminated in the contemplation of suicide and a life misspent.
    Now it would have been more tasteful to title the album "Old Scars" or similar, but Hesitation Marks continues that theme of harking back to TDS, and is arguably less on-the-nose as it's an obscure term.

Or then again, maybe I'm barking up the tree and Trent's just delivering a huge middle finger to Flood by expanding Just Do It into a full LP. But probably not.

I do get Sheepdean's point though. There's a reputation for NIN fans to be chronically depressed self-harmers. While I suspect that doesn't apply to most of us, it's a sentiment which hasn't just appeared from nowhere, and it would be a vile thing to deliberately acknowledge, exploit, market to and goad on that subset. Or to trivialise it.
    My feeling is that so long as it fits the concept well, that it has artistic merit and isn't exploitative, it's fine.
    Trent's been very open and communicative about himself in the past, and has proven to very definitely not be the kind of person to prey on damaged people. But it's a fine line to tread, and I hope the concept comfortably justifies the title.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I got the Deluxe CD. I hope the book's worth it...I don't care about the remixes and commentary. Also, I hope I like the album. lol
    Last edited by Amaro; 06-06-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Frozen with indecision: deluxe CD, or Vinyl, or both? For now, neither, digital and a T shirt. (not worth paying shipping for standard CD if I'll buy the deluxe and/or vinyl anyway, perhaps via UK retailer)
    I just cancelled my previous order and ordered the deluxe CD among the vinyl. Had to buy it as well in case it is something special.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    While I suspect that doesn't apply to most of us, it's a sentiment which hasn't just appeared from nowhere, and it would be a vile thing to deliberately acknowledge, exploit, market to and goad on that subset. Or to trivialise it.
    You didn't geek, you totally nerded though.
    About the title, let's not forget that Reznor likes to use double meanings, remember Bleedthrough for example, which is pretty sinister until you take into account that it also describes an audio remnant on a tape. So, let's not focus too much on the suicidal side of it, and perhaps have faith that it also means "Signs of hesitation" ? Indeed, the overall mood and concept will tell us more about that. Until then, it may be too early to get those panties in a twist ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I WANT to order the Deluxe CD and the Vinyl.
    but the site only accepts credit cards, I only have a debit card.

guess I'll wait and hope they both appear on Amazon.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ordered the deluxe!

something weird though, they must have used old The Spiral account information or something, it defaulted to an old billing address I haven't used in 7-8 years...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [Shep] View Post
    Well I WANT to order the Deluxe CD and the Vinyl.
    but the site only accepts credit cards, I only have a debit card.

guess I'll wait and hope they both appear on Amazon.
    I used a debit card and my order went through fine.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I think he means a "withdrawal only" card, since I ordered with a debit card too (no such thing as a credit card around here).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    i'm sticking to my guns with the thinking that marks is not a noun, but a transitive or intransitive verb

bit the bullet and ordered the deluxe cd and the vinyl, with the hopes that the shipping costs change. if they dont, then whatevs.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    ordered the deluxe!

something weird though, they must have used old The Spiral account information or something, it defaulted to an old billing address I haven't used in 7-8 years...
    Same here. It used my old email address too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I pre-ordered the Deluxe edition (From Canada) without issues. No discount code though. I couldn't find one. Has anyone? $20 says he'll tweet out a discount code later on and it won't apply to existing orders.

(That'd be $20 CAD, the fancy new plastic one!)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Couldn't wait and I ordered my deluxe cd on lunch at work!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    the single, artwork, tour dates, ticket presale info, merch and music presales weren't enough for you?
    touche!

But usually if your preordering an album you provide the tracklist. I'm just surprised.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Based on how much sheepdean hates the album title, I can only assume he auto-pukes everytime he sees Tool's AEnima....

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Odds of a second single before September? Or before a live debut?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    touche!

But usually if your preordering an album you provide the tracklist. I'm just surprised.
    Probably isnt finalized. TR probably wanted to see the response of the album and single, to see if he OFFENDED anyone...(cough cough wink)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Odds of a second single before September? Or before a live debut?
    well, since they're on a Major again I can only assume we'll see at least 2 more tracks before it's released.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Same, I got burned waiting two weeks for HTDA to turn up when it was sitting in the HMV store ten minutes from my house. I've gone for the digital pre-order for now; I'll probably just pick the CD up on the day.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    http://www.enotes.com/hesitation-wou...itation-wounds

[trigger warning: suicide, self harm]

Really a fucking gross thing to name an album.
    NIN produced something that evokes a negative emotional response. Imagine that!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    Also, I hope I like the album. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    The snarky suspicion that I'll have outgrown the content
    This.

Please don't let this be the giant knee-jerk concept album some of us are making it out to be.

"Still Hurts", anyone?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    TR spent more time on this project, according to the Zane Lowe interview, than anything since The Fragile.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I was able to get some information from Modlife on why shipping is more expensive for combined items than when individually ordered:

brendan klein (Support)
    Jun 06 10:30 (PDT)

Ah, that is because the cheapest method (Mail) is only available up to a pound. Once you put two items in the cart you get pushed to UPS, which is trackable and therefore more expensive. Sorry for the confusion.
    BK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I ordered one of everything. Should I now cancel my order and reorder everything individually?!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jd13 View Post
    I ordered one of everything. Should I now cancel my order and reorder everything individually?!
    I think it only really matters if you order two things. Three should push you over into a better per-item shipping cost.