Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Stone Temple Pilots

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The first two singles and "Cry Cry" are the most Weiland-esque, IMO. With the other two, Chester sounds more like that way he does with LP.

He's still trying to find his voice with STP--and I like what they've done so far. I really dig this EP and hope that we see an album or at least another EP down the line.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    On my jog last night I was listening to Core, and man, even after all these years, the whole album still smokes. Pearl Jam/Nirvana comparisons aside, the songs are just really, really good. The whole album rocks hard, is melodic, has killer solos and just really well written. The hits--"Sex Type Thing," "Wicked Garden," "Creep" and "Plush" stand up well against any other rock song from that era, IMHO and the rest of the album is great too--"Sin," "Naked Sunday" etc. are awesome, so it's not like it's just a few strong songs and a bunch of filler. I hope over time people will recognize Core as one of the best albums from the era.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 10-04-2013 at 05:42 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    On my jog last night I was listening to Core, and man, even after all these years, the whole album still smokes. Pearl Jam/Nirvana comparisons aside, the songs are just really, really good. The whole album rocks hard, is melodic, has killer solos and just really well written. The hits--"Sex Type Thing," "Wicked Garden," "Creep" and "Plush" stand up well against any other rock song from that era, IMHO and the rest of the album is great too--"Sin," "Naked Sunday" etc. are awesome, so it's not like it's just a few strong songs and a bunch of filler. I hope over time people will recognize Core as one of the best albums from the era.
    Agreed. While Core is not my favorite STP album, it really has no filler. Even the deepest tracks are extremely strong (Where The River Goes, Piece Of Pie). To me though, the public backlash that the band had to deal with after their initial success makes Purple and Tiny Music even more incredible (remember that little dipshit on SNL making fun of them during Weekend Update). I've said it on here before, but STP really expanded their sound in interesting/exciting ways during that 1994-1999 period. Luckily for them, the hits always came easy, but it was unfair how they were classified as a derivative/mainstream/second tier band. They were great at straight-hard rock (Unglued, Trippin' On A Hole, No Way Out, Heaven And Hot Rods), expiremental fusion (Lounge Fly, And So I Know, Seven-Caged Tigers, Adhesive, I Got You), and even in the acoustic/melodic space (Pretty Penny, Kitchenware, Atlanta). And I'm not sure how you would clasify Still Remains, but that song has one of the best hooks of the 90's.

It's sad seeing Scott wither away. That's why I have so many mixed feelings about this new STP project. Dean/Robert are at the top of their game, but I can only imagine how incredible these songs would be if 1997 Scott Weiland was singing. Unfair to Chester I realize...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    ...Even the deepest tracks are extremely strong (Where The River Goes, Piece Of Pie)...
    I had forgotten how great Piece of Pie is until I saw them live at the Riv in Chicago shortly before the release of the last album.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Liked Core, loved Purple. Vasoline was my anthem when I was an angsty teenager.
    Tiny Music came as a massive disappointment to me: way, way too Beatlesy. Oh, it's got good songs on it (Art School Girl, Tumble in the Rough, Big Bang Baby, Lady Picture Show), but I never made peace with it.
    Everything else since has been bleh. A few good moments (Hollywood Bitch, Sour Girl), but the majority has been lumpen average hard rock.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    Agreed. And I'm not sure how you would clasify Still Remains, but that song has one of the best hooks of the 90's.
    Man, that one's awesome. It sounds contemporary (by 1994 standards), but still had this great retro vibe.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    No. 4 is my favorite. I also love Shangri la de da. As far as I'm concerned, there's no bad album, and they only got better as they continued. I like the s\t, but that was a huge step back imo. Still, pretty good for a reunion album.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Liked Core, loved Purple. Vasoline was my anthem when I was an angsty teenager.
    Tiny Music came as a massive disappointment to me: way, way too Beatlesy. Oh, it's got good songs on it (Art School Girl, Tumble in the Rough, Big Bang Baby, Lady Picture Show), but I never made peace with it.
    Everything else since has been bleh. A few good moments (Hollywood Bitch, Sour Girl), but the majority has been lumpen average hard rock.
    Those first three albums...man.

Purple was my grade 8 album by far. I think I had a shirt of the album art too. That disc was played out beyond belief. Even the hidden "Gracious Melody". Great record for it's time, and I was one year out from finding NIN.

I liked Tiny Music too myself, Art School Girl is just awesome, and I love how it fades out into Adhesive.

But they have suffered since the first three albums in quality. For every decent track since, there have been three "meh" tracks.

It's hard to believe Weiland with his mechanic shirts etc. in '94 is the same creepy dude in the Winter Wonderland video
    Last edited by poinoup; 10-04-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    My STP tattoo:

The second one isn't the best picture because of the glare.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post

Shangrila-dee-shit you can keep. That album is horrid. It's kind of weird that one of the worst songs Scott has ever penned (Wonderful) is the one that Chester duetted on during that Family Values run in 2001.
    Wonderful is crap and Shangri-La was the first STP album with multiple bad songs, but there are some great moments on there. Coma, Regeneration, and Long Way Home all stand up well. And Transmissions From A a Lonely room is the single most underrated song in their discography. Horrid is a bit harsh. Even the singles and the supporting tour were solid.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I really liked both Shangri-La Dee Da and the self-titled album. Loved the mix of power-pop, garage-rock and ballads on SLDD. Here are three great songs, IMHO.

I was a little disappointed with the S/T album at first and I'm not sure why. I've been listening to it lately and I really like it--more power-pop sounding than most STP albums, but it has a lot of great songs like "Cinnamon," "Dare if you Dare" and "Peacoat."

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Loved the Talk Show album, kind of a "lost" STP album (1997)

Last edited by GulDukat; 10-06-2013 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New Scott Weiland songs, just performed:

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    So it seems Scott is never coming back, that sucks... i did liked "High Rise" but it's just not the same...

I also rated my top STP albums for no reason (feel free to disagree, lol)

1. Purple
    2. Core
    3. Shangri La Dee Da (VERY underrated)
    4. Stone Temple Pilots
    5. Tiny music...
    6. No 4

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    So it seems Scott is never coming back, that sucks... i did liked "High Rise" but it's just not the same...

I also rated my top STP albums for no reason (feel free to disagree, lol)

1. Purple
    2. Core
    3. Shangri La Dee Da (VERY underrated)
    4. Stone Temple Pilots
    5. Tiny music...
    6. No 4
    It's kind of hard for me to rank-order every STP album as I really liked them all. I agree that SLDD is underrated. I hope that Chester and STP are able to make a proper album, once Chester's commitments to Linkin Park's new CD and tour are over.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    No. 4
    Shangra La Dee Da
    Tiny Music
    Purple
    Core
    STP

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Kinda quiet on the STP front. It will be interesting to compare their new album with Scott's.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-09-2015 at 08:06 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Yay! Seeing Scott Weiland in Boston this March.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Kinda quit on the STP front. It will be interesting to compare their new album with Scott's.
    There's news on a new album? I would probably give it a shot but the band hasn't been good since "Tiny Music." The EP they put out with Chester was the very definition of bland.

I would totally see Scott in concert if tickets weren't 75 bucks and if he played more than a dozen songs. Maybe that has changed but that was the case the last time he was in town. Sorry, I love that guy but I wouldn't pay more than, like, 40 at most and only if it was a full show.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    There's news on a new album? I would probably give it a shot but the band hasn't been good since "Tiny Music." The EP they put out with Chester was the very definition of bland.

I would totally see Scott in concert if tickets weren't 75 bucks and if he played more than a dozen songs. Maybe that has changed but that was the case the last time he was in town. Sorry, I love that guy but I wouldn't pay more than, like, 40 at most and only if it was a full show.
    The DeLeos said that they were working on new songs a few months back and they have a gig this spring, not much else. They have to work around Chester's schedule.

I really enjoyed every STP album, although some fans, including Chester, think the first three are the best. I really enjoyed the EP that they released with Chester. Nothing groundbreaking, but good, solid 90's-sounding rock. High Rise showed some potential and that this new lineup has chemistry.

As for ticket prices for the new tour, my ticket for the Boston show was only about 30 bucks.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    According to Dean DeLeo's twitter page, STP have been working on new songs and are going to start recording a new album on Monday. I'd post a link but don't know how to on this tablet.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    As for ticket prices for the new tour, my ticket for the Boston show was only about 30 bucks.
    Yeah, I ended up looking up prices after I posted that. Not terrible. At his most recent show he played 14 songs, according to Setlist.fm. Which isn't bad for the price. But only 5 STP songs. Which, you know, it's his solo show so that's understandable, but personally I'm not going to put in the effort to go see him for only 5 songs that I actually want to hear.

Ah, well. I may or may not see STP when they tour next time. Hearing anyone else sing those songs but Scott is blasphemy but it would be nice to see one of my favorite bands live again, even with the wrong singer. I still love the rest of those guys and to be able to hear them perform those songs live might be worth it. I don't know.

I got to see them three times with Scott, once in 2000 when they were in their prime. That show is one of the best concerts I have ever been to and I have fond memories of the other two as well. Plus, two of those times I was just a few feet from the stage, so I really can't complain. I just really miss seeing all of them together. Maybe Scott will eventually get his shit together so they can reunite again. Maybe. But I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by theruiner; 01-10-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Yeah, I ended up looking up prices after I posted that. Not terrible. At his most recent show he played 14 songs, according to Setlist.fm. Which isn't bad for the price. But only 5 STP songs. Which, you know, it's his solo show so that's understandable, but personally I'm not going to put in the effort to go see him for only 5 songs that I actually want to hear.

Ah, well. I may or may not see STP when they tour next time. Hearing anyone else sing those songs but Scott is blasphemy but it would be nice to see one of my favorite bands live again, even with the wrong singer. I still love the rest of those guys and to be able to hear them perform those songs live might be worth it. I don't know.

I got to see them three times with Scott, once in 2000 when they were in their prime. That show is one of the best concerts I have ever been to and I have fond memories of the other two as well. Plus, two of those times I was just a few feet from the stage, so I really can't complain. I just really miss seeing all of them together. Maybe Scott will eventually get his shit together so they can reunite again. Maybe. But I'm not holding my breath.
    Saw Scott in Boston in 2009 and he played maybe two STP songs, which I was cool with as I liked his solo stuff. There were a bunch of drunks that kept singing "I Am SMELLIN'...." for most of the show, which was kind of funny.

At the last tour (2013), he played only songs from the first two STP albums. He seemed kind of fucked-up and his band was sloppy, but I was right up front and it was a great show. A few months later I saw STP with Chester and that show was superior in just about every way--Chester was in far better form than Scott and the DeLeos and Kretz played far better than the Wildabouts. But while the STP show was far more polished and professional, I might give the edge to the Weiland show--despite its flaws, or maybe because of them--it had a certain looseness and rawness which made it unpredictable and exciting. Still, I can see why STP felt the need to go with a more reliable singer and they put on a great show with Chester.

Saw STP in 2002 and in 2010 and they were awesome. I'd recommended the live DVD from Chicago, from the 2010 tour. Great stuff.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Brand new Scott Weiland single, "White Lightning"
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...usive-premiere

Sounds like a cross between The Black Keys and Morrison Hotel-​era Doors. Good stuff.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    According to Robert's twitter page, drums are done and bass and guitar are set for next week.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I love Weiland! He's definitely one of my most favorite frontmen in rock history! While I don't dig his singing style at times I absolutely adore his voice at other times! That single is pretty cool, curious what blaster will hold for us!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I love Weiland! He's definitely one of my most favorite frontmen in rock history! While I don't dig his singing style at times I absolutely adore his voice at other times! That single is pretty cool, curious what blaster will hold for us!
    Looking forward to Blaster ​and new STP. It will be interesting to compare the two.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    edit: wrong thread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://www.blabbermo...other-projects/

Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal has confirmed that his ART OF ANARCHY project will likely employ a new vocalist when and if the band hits the road later in the year.
    In addition to the GUNS N' ROSES guitarist, the recording lineup for ART OF ANARCHY's first CD included ex-STONE TEMPLE PILOTS singer Scott Weiland and DISTURBED bassist John Moyer. The rest of the lineup is filled out by Jon Votta on guitar and Vince Votta on drums. The group's debut disc will arrive this spring.

In a statement on his Facebook page posted only hours after the ART OF ANARCHY project was first announced, Weiland minimized his involvement with the group, explaining: "I just saw some press about a side project called ART OF ANARCHY that I worked on last year. I wrote and put my vocals down for these guys and had fun doing a couple of videos too. We had a lot of fun. When they find their frontman to hit the road and play some dates, check them out."

In an exclusive statement to Rolling Stone, Thal wrote that "ART OF ANARCHY is not competition or a threat or interference to what any of us are doing — it's a complement, an addition, one I'm proud of creatively."
    He continued: "[There is] no need to minimize or undermine or devalue a project we all worked on together over the course of two years.
    "I enjoyed working with Scott. And I'm looking forward to [the SCOTT WEILAND AND] THE WILDABOUTS album release, the Bumblefoot album release, and the ART OF ANARCHY album release. The more music the better, it's what we do, right? Artists do collaborations and a month later, their own album comes out. This is normal stuff. All good. "
    Thal added: "The five of us made an album together. Scott is currently the singer of the band. It's in writing; no confusion. But yes, Scott's solo album and tour are his priority and we're all on the same page about getting another vocalist if ART OF ANARCHY hits the road. But we don't need to cross that bridge just yet. Taking everything as it comes, one step at a time, letting it evolve organically. Where it goes from here (and with who!) is yet to be seen."
    ART OF ANARCHY is the brainchild of Thal and the Votta brothers, who have been friends for 18 years dating back to their days on the New York music scene.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    12 Bar Blues was awful to me.

I think Cool Kiss was the only song I remember liking:

I also wish we'd seen more of the Magnificent Bastards:
    this song ruled: