Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Avengers

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

The Avengers

Release date: May 4, 2012.

Official site: http://marvel.com/avengers_movie

You can view the first trailer there; it's set to the music of some obscure 90's grunge band no one's ever heard of before.

I'm really excited about this movie. I'm hoping it will be good but as I said on Old ETS, it will either be awesome or it will be a spectacular failure. My first impression from the trailer is that RDJ will have all the great lines ("Dr. Banner, your work is unparalleled. And I'm a huge fan of the way you lose control and turn into an enormous green enraged monster.") although Chris Evans/Steve Rogers "You're a big man in a suit of armour... take that away, and what are you?" was spot on. Samuel L. Jackson seems as bad ass as ever and Tom Hiddleston's Loki looks really really pissed (and he was the best thing in Thor).

And we got a first look at the new Hulk! I'm still sad that Ed Norton isn't back but I really like Mark Ruffalo and I think he'll do a good job.

So, what do you think?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I think I must be the only one excited about this movie so I'll just keep talking to myself.

A couple of new images that were released this week:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5...w3000x2000.jpg

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/8...oulsonthor.jpg

I think that Cap's costume is better than the one he had previously but there's still something not quite right about it. I don't know what it is though; it's just... not right,

And for those who hasn't seen it yet, here is the extended Super Bowl commercial:

The group shot is cheesy as hell but the scene where Hawkeye is shooting while falling is badassery at its best.

Of course, the "I have an army/We have a Hulk" lines have turned into an instant meme on Youtube. My favorite variation so far:

Loki: I have a knee.
    Tony: We have Hawkeye.

Rumors are there's a new trailer coming out next week. I'll post it for my own enjoyment then, if it's true.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I think it looks like fun, but I also think Cap's uniform looks like utterly cheesy crap.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Yeah, the Captain America outfit is COMPLETELY shitting the bed on this.

They can't get that awfulness battle-damaged and finally rip that retarded headgear off FAST ENOUGH, imho.

:-\

Everything else looks GREAT, though.

And...was that an army of Ultrons?

o_O
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 02-22-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The three of them look photoshopped into that image. :-/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm definitely pumped for this movie, looks like it's going to kick all kinds of ass.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    While we're waiting for the new trailer (it's supposed to come out tomorrow) here's a couple of things old and new.

First: new poster

I think that Captain America was still growing while he was frozen solid. He looks at least 20 feet tall on that poster.

And in case someone missed them: the Marvel One Shots

This one is called The Consultant and was found on the Thor Blu-Ray

The second one is called A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer and was found on the Captain America Blu-ray

I always knew that the Son of Coul was a bad ass mofo under that placid look of his.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    That poster is bad ass.

Thanks for posting those vids, I own neither Blu ray and had no clue about them. They were a very nice prelude to tomorrow's trailer. Much obliged.

I wonder if it will reveal anything we don't already know? Has it been confirmed yet if Loki is the only villain? I heard the Skrulls mentioned.. but who is leading controlling them outside of Loki? I feel like something would have slipped by now. As much as I loved his character in Thor, and he is fucking bad ass, I feel like this movie is going to need a little bit more than him to take it to the next plane of epicness.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    You're welcome about the videos. I don't own either Blu-rays (only the DVDs; that's because I'm old fashioned like that) and I was very pleased when I came across those one shots on Youtube. So far, they are the only two but I hope they aren't the last.

As for Loki, I remember a while ago reading that there was indeed another bad guy in the movie but nothing's been confirmed. There were interviews I read (I might track them down later) where Tom Hiddleston said that the Loki we'll see in The Avengers is very different than the one we saw in Thor; apparently, something happened to him in the black hole created by the destruction of the Bifröst and it pushed him a little further along the "batshit insane" lines. And there are rumors that the trailer will be "spoiler-ish" and that it will reveal who's in his army.

Here an interview (slight spoilers inside) that was posted a few days ago where Hiddleston talks about who he's fighting against in the movie.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi
    I think that Captain America was still growing while he was frozen solid. He looks at least 20 feet tall on that poster.
    I was thinking the same thing! Why is he so tall?! That looks like a genuine mistake.

Edit: Oh, der. I guess he's standing on something. It still looks odd, though.
    Last edited by theruiner; 02-29-2012 at 03:01 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    is that the new trailer already?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    yeah, it was supposed to be out today. Looks pretty awesome!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yes motherfucking please, that looks badass. Loved the shot of Tony's new armor removal system!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    YES IT IS.

Must. Remember. To. Breathe.

OMG the shot of the Hulk catching a falling Iron Man. And Loki in a suit (wait, what? You've got to admit: he is hot!).

And what the hell was that snake thing at the end?

Must. Not. Hyperventilate.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I think I just cried... what a trailer!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    OK, I will definitely see this.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    OMG the shot of the Hulk catching a falling Iron Man. And Loki in a suit (wait, what? You've got to admit: he is hot!).
    I accidentally read about that before watching the trailer and it still elicited a nerd-y yelp when I actually saw it. I've totally got a heterosexual man crush on Tom Hiddleston, too. He is fantastic. I can't wait to see more verbal parrying and hopefully some godly fisticuffs between he and Chris Hemsworth. Very curious how ol' Thor gets back to Midgard. My brother and I were hypothesizing it could be a Loki trick - Hiddleston did say via the Avengers twitter chat that Loki is more mischievous this time around.

I can't believe this movie is coming out as soon as early May. Of the Big 3 superhero flicks this Summer (Avengers, Dark Knight, Amazing Spider-Man), this is the most "pinch me" of them all. The Dark Knight Rises is the safest bet, but just the fact that The Avengers exists and looks this fun makes it hard not to be my most anticipated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was going to see this because I love shitty super hero movies. Then I saw it was written/directed by JOSS FUCKIN' WHEDON! Gonna watch this so hard.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Another awesome trailer! Looks like there should be plenty of sweet 3D dogfight action, too.

Speaking of which, that's GOTTA be the Skrulls! I'm pretty sure I saw green skin and pointy ears to go along with that space ship, at least.

And I hate to harp on the subject, but with each new bit of footage released I find myself suffering increasing disbelief that they let that piece of shit Captain America costume slip through the cracks all the way onscreen. Especially that godawful goddamned helmet. Argh.

Still, the very fact that an Avengers movie that looks this awesome even EXISTS is a supreme accomplishment and truly a nerdgasm-worthy feat to behold with great joy! I've only been waiting for this movie since I was, like, THREE years old, lol. And anyone who grew up watching all the shitty, low-budget Marvel adaptations in theaters (and zomfg the ones for TV) through the '80s and '90s NEVER expected we'd see the Avengers done so excellently as it seems to have been handled by Marvel Studios.

I'm really, really appreciative of that so I can't wait to see this movie.

Except for that fucking Captain America headpiece. Stark needs to repulsor ray Cap's face or Hulk needs to deck him or Loki can pry it off with his goddamned cane OMFG just take it away.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Man I wish I hadn't of watched that trailer. It looks like the gave away some of the best shots in the movie. I'm not going to the Avengers for the story, I'm going because I want to see Hulk jump and catch a falling Iron Man!

And ya the Captin America costume is a bit hokey, but it was in the comic books too. And is probably the toughest Marvel costume to transfer to the big screen

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I like cap's helmet. I think if he left it off I would presume Chris just wants head time.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Someone got their hands on the movie story book.

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK: LOTS AND LOTS OF SPOILERS IN THAT LINK! But still nothing about Loki's army.

Spoilery Linky

Why isn't it May already?

edit: damn it, they took it down. I haven't saved it but I remember most of what it said. PM me if you want to hear the spoilers!
    Last edited by marodi; 03-07-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: stoopid studio doesn't want us to know spoilers! :(

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Japanese trailer:

http://special.movies.yahoo.co.jp/de...0120315076798/

There's more than a few new shots in this version. In fact, there are some really awesome ones. I almost wish I didn't watch it. I just need to forget about this movie 'til May.

Also, AMC is doing the "Ultimate Marvel Marathon" (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man II, Thor, Capt. America, Avengers):

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...athon-on-may-3

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    God I love that Japanese trailer! There's also a bit of new footage in the German trailer (that came out a couple of weeks ago, I think?)

The video should play with the subtitles. Side note: watching those trailers in other languages reminded me how painful it will be for me to have to watch this movie in French when it comes out. I really have to start teaching English to my cinema going friends...

In other news: the following link give a preview of the apparel and merchandising that are tied up with the movie. Some t-shirts are really ugly but others are kind of cool. I'm getting all the bookmarks, for sure and I'd give my left arm for one of the movie cells. Also: I now have a legitimate reason to buy Lego sets: it's because they are collectibles and it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I've always loved Lego blocks.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=56515

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Side note: watching those trailers in other languages reminded me how painful it will be for me to have to watch this movie in French when it comes out.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Good one Hazekiah! And if I can rant a little more: what's more annoying is that big movies like that are also screened in their original language so I could see it if I wanted to. Another couple annoyances about having to watch it in French: I know what the actors sound like and when they are badly dubbed, it's even more painful. Also: I'm good at reading lips so while I'm listening to the French translation, I know what they are saying in English. Grrrr...

Back to The Avengers:

This man is Ryan Meinerding and he worked on the design of Cap's costume.

Long story short: he thinks it looks cool... Right.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    US TV spot:

RDJ, I'll love you until I die.

And for those of you in NYC The Avengers will close the Tribeca Film Festival on April 28th

Now that I think about it, New York isn't that far from where I live. And I do have my passport. Maybe it's time I finally go check that Big Apple...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm so glad the theater I work at is small and not getting the Avengers. Chances are I can get that weekend off. I'm seriously considering getting tickets to the theater across the street since they're doing a marathon of all the Marvel movies leading up to a midnight showing of the Avengers. I've been so pumped for this movie since I saw the post credits scene of the first Iron Man movie when it came out.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Robert Downey Jr. spills the news: They're filming an extra scene for the movie tonight. Whaaa?