TMNT CGI/Mo-Cap Suits, Actors, and Foot Clan

Hell, yeah. Looks great to ME so far!

:)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Wish i could get excited but i can't...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Yeah, Michael Bay is involved so that's a big no-no for me.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Well, don't worry Haz, i'll back you up on this one. Let the flammers flame away. I'm excited for this one as well, even if I don't agree with them casting a 4 foot tall man (Danny Woodburn) as Master Splinter, I think I can look past that.

Beside's Bay isn't even THAT involved with the film. Yes his name is attatched to it, but he's busy directing Transformers 4 right now. Jonathan Liebesman is directing, and while I don't necessarily enjoy any of the films he has done, i'll still give it a chance.

William Fichter has been cast as well as an undisclosed "iconic character in the Turtles universe", and he's a great actor, so I see no harm there.
    As long as they scrap that whole "Colnol Schrader" idea from the leaked script, i'm happy.

Everyone keeps saying that Fichter will be Shredder, however, according to an article over at Screen Rant http://screenrant.com/teenage-mutant...-casting-2014/ it says he might actually end up being Baxter Stockman with a quote:

"Well, according to a source of ours, he’ll be playing Dr. Baxter Stockman, the evil scientist who creates “Mousers,” little robots designed to kill sewer rats. He also transforms into a large, humanoid fly-creature after an incident he had with a transporter device."

I think he would be very well suited for the Baxter role, not Shredder. I hope it's true.

I can't understand how anyone born and raised in the 80's cannot be excited about this film, it's basically the TMNT live action film we all wanted.
    It seems like it is going to follow the 1989 Fred Wolf Cartoon to a T.

We have Will Arnett as Vernon Fenwick, and Abby Elliott as recently been cast as an unknown role as well, which many people are saying she will be April's friend
    Irma Langinstein. So there are a lot of nods to the original cartoon here. Growing up as a kid in the 80's and 90's I think this is the live action movie we all wanted.
    Especially if they incorporate Bebop and Rocksteady in this somehow (like the leaked script hinted), I will officially forgive any bad casting and directing choices for this film for a chance to see those 2 on screen in live action, that's basically what we wanted for TMNT2: The Secret of the Ooze, and what did we get Tokka and Rhazar.

And besides, even if it doesn't surpass the original Turtles film from 1990 (which I admit will be hard to do, that film is flawless), it will almost 200% be better than that horrible abomination that is known as TMNT3 *shutters* what an awful, awful movie!

Anyway, June 2014 cannot come soon enough, i'm looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    TMNT The Movie has to be the original and one of the very few FAITHFUL comic book adaptions done right for the screen.

Can anyone think of one that precedes it?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
    TMNT The Movie has to be the original and one of the very few FAITHFUL comic book adaptions done right for the screen.

The first movie:

- Splinter's and Shreder feud
    - Ralph going "solo" and his bad attitude
    - Ralph teams up with Casey Jones
    - The Shredder battle on the rooftop
    - Shredder "dies"

...of course most of this was killed by the sequels, but the first one as a standalone movie is very faithful to the comic...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh, so we're treating this thread seriously? lol.

To stay on topic, I'm sure this will appeal to the same crowd that Transformers and other big, dumb, brainless action flicks will...a director/producer/production company that is betting it all on a crowd that's dumb as hell and loves anything that has fast cars, shit blowing up, etc. etc. Sure it's fun once in a while if done right (see: any of the recent superhero movies) but yeahhhh...Michael Bay.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 05-15-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Oh, so we're treating this thread seriously? lol.

To stay on topic, I'm sure this will appeal to the same crowd that Transformers and other big, dumb, brainless action flicks will...a director/producer/production company that is betting it all on a crowd that's dumb as hell and loves anything that has fast cars, shit blowing up, etc. etc. Sure it's fun once in a while if done right (see: any of the recent superhero movies) but yeahhhh...Michael Bay.
    Why would you NOT treat a movie thread in the Cinema subforum seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Yeah, Michael Bay is involved so that's a big no-no for me.
    Personally, I think he's a great fit for the franchise. I wouldn't be bothered one bit if he'd taken the helm as director, really. He's got a LOCK on the "awesome, dude!" teenage market and cooks up some pretty seriously badass action and makes a point of making his films extremely fun and comical. That's pretty much Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles through and through...or the '90s version, at least.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see a super-serious, blood & guts, violent-as-fuck, hard-R, black-and-white, live-action TMNT film more in line with the original comics than the cartoon, but I understand the realities of the business enough to know that's not happening any time soon. In the meantime, it's pretty hard to imagine a guiding hand behind the franchise who'd be more able to innately keep this film in the spirit of the franchise.

And I know it's not a particularly popular opinion on the internet, but that was part of the brilliance in choosing him as director for the Transformers films, too. The franchise was always filled with killer action, goofy humor, borderline-inappropriate language, ultraviolence, and just a general rock-and-roll attitude and aesthetic.

Sorry, but that IS Michael fucking Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Well, don't worry Haz, i'll back you up on this one. Let the flammers flame away. I'm excited for this one as well, even if I don't agree with them casting a 4 foot tall man (Danny Woodburn) as Master Splinter, I think I can look past that.

Beside's Bay isn't even THAT involved with the film. Yes his name is attatched to it, but he's busy directing Transformers 4 right now. Jonathan Liebesman is directing, and while I don't necessarily enjoy any of the films he has done, i'll still give it a chance.

William Fichter has been cast as well as an undisclosed "iconic character in the Turtles universe", and he's a great actor, so I see no harm there.
    As long as they scrap that whole "Colnol Schrader" idea from the leaked script, i'm happy.

Everyone keeps saying that Fichter will be Shredder, however, according to an article over at Screen Rant http://screenrant.com/teenage-mutant...-casting-2014/ it says he might actually end up being Baxter Stockman with a quote:

"Well, according to a source of ours, he’ll be playing Dr. Baxter Stockman, the evil scientist who creates “Mousers,” little robots designed to kill sewer rats. He also transforms into a large, humanoid fly-creature after an incident he had with a transporter device."

I think he would be very well suited for the Baxter role, not Shredder. I hope it's true.

I can't understand how anyone born and raised in the 80's cannot be excited about this film, it's basically the TMNT live action film we all wanted.
    It seems like it is going to follow the 1989 Fred Wolf Cartoon to a T.

We have Will Arnett as Vernon Fenwick, and Abby Elliott as recently been cast as an unknown role as well, which many people are saying she will be April's friend
    Irma Langinstein. So there are a lot of nods to the original cartoon here. Growing up as a kid in the 80's and 90's I think this is the live action movie we all wanted.
    Especially if they incorporate Bebop and Rocksteady in this somehow (like the leaked script hinted), I will officially forgive any bad casting and directing choices for this film for a chance to see those 2 on screen in live action, that's basically what we wanted for TMNT2: The Secret of the Ooze, and what did we get Tokka and Rhazar.

And besides, even if it doesn't surpass the original Turtles film from 1990 (which I admit will be hard to do, that film is flawless), it will almost 200% be better than that horrible abomination that is known as TMNT3 *shutters* what an awful, awful movie!

Anyway, June 2014 cannot come soon enough, i'm looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.
    Good to see some positivity here, not to mention someone else who knows wtf they're talking about!

And, yeah, having defended Michael Bay's input already (whatever it may be), I think Jonathan Liebesman is a decent choice for director, too.

He's young enough that he probably understands the franchise well, if only by virtue of having lived through its heyday already. And I've only seen a few of his movies, but what I saw was pretty cool. Battle: Los Angeles could've been better, sure. But it wasn't bad, and it certainly demonstrated a proficiency with CGI/live-action interaction and the makings of a solid sci-fi action movie. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning was another solid genre movie he helmed, and I had no real complaints there. And, lastly for me, I was VERY pleasantly surprised to find he was the co-writer and director behind Rings, the short film between The Ring and The Ring 2. That was fucking excellent and probably my favorite installment of the entire franchise!

So I'm totally down with seeing his spin on the turtles.

Especially with Bay's support and guidance!

Should be pretty fucking epic and kickass.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutz View Post

Agreed, and hmm...good question!

Superman is the obvious answer, I guess. It was about as on-the-nose as could be expected, especially for its time.

If you're counting TV then maybe "The Incredible Hulk" comes pretty close. And definitely "Tales from the Crypt."

Damn.

I thought about that pretty fucking hard for such a short list, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    The first movie:

- Splinter's and Shreder feud
    - Ralph going "solo" and his bad attitude
    - Ralph teams up with Casey Jones
    - The Shredder battle on the rooftop
    - Shredder "dies"

...of course most of this was killed by the sequels, but the first one as a standalone movie is very faithful to the comic...
    Absolutely correct!

But I'm fairly sure that's the same movie they were already talking about up there. EVERYONE saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) and almost NO ONE saw TMNT (2007). Which is a shame, it was pretty damned great, too. For that matter, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Forever (2009) is perhaps the best and most loving tribute to ALL iterations of the franchise, start-to-finish.

And, looking at the people involved and the on-set pix that have leaked from this film so far, I can't help but think those near-perfect installments are about to have some long-overdue company at the top of their field!

Excitement.

:D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got TMNT 2007 as part of my blu ray box set and I couldn't get the whole way through it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Personally, I think he's a great fit for the franchise. I wouldn't be bothered one bit if he'd taken the helm as director, really. He's got a LOCK on the "awesome, dude!" teenage market
    But aren't you a little too old to be part of the "awesome dude!" teenage market? Does that really appeal to you?

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see a super-serious, blood & guts, violent-as-fuck, hard-R, black-and-white, live-action TMNT film more in line with the original comics than the cartoon
    Ok, someone needs to clear this up for me. I remember hearing when I was a kid that the original comics were actually really gritty, dark, and violent, so I checked one of them out. Maybe it was because at the time I was really into violent comics, but this stuff was PG at best. Can someone please link me to a strip or even a panel that demonstrates how violent this comic book was? It seems like people are exaggerating it by comparison to the cartoon.

But still, you're not going to get that gritty movie... you're going to get a Hollywood action movie aimed at children twelve years old and younger. I don't understand the appeal. Is it nostalgia?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Ok, someone needs to clear this up for me. I remember hearing when I was a kid that the original comics were actually really gritty, dark, and violent, so I checked one of them out. Maybe it was because at the time I was really into violent comics, but this stuff was PG at best. Can someone please link me to a strip or even a panel that demonstrates how violent this comic book was?
    From what I've read, and it isn't anywhere near the whole of the comics, the "really gritty, dark, and violent" description seems rather exaggerated. The most "adult" (mini) series I've seen would definitely be Bodycount (#1-4), originally published by Image and later re-released by Heavy Metal. You shouldn't have any trouble finding them in full in the usual places (assuming you're interested).

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Read the City at War miniseries, lots of blood and violence...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Let sleeping turtles lie...

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    But aren't you a little too old to be part of the "awesome dude!" teenage market? Does that really appeal to you?
    Haha, are you serious?

Aren't you a little old to be a registered member with over a thousand posts at a Nine Inch Nails message board?

Aren't you a little old to spend so much time here talking about video games and a TV show with dragons?

Come on now.

Awesome is awesome is awesome. It crosses all age barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    From what I've read, and it isn't anywhere near the whole of the comics, the "really gritty, dark, and violent" description seems rather exaggerated.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    not really interested in this at all, but dropping in since i just saw megan fox filming this outside my building in times square today, trademark yellow jacket in tow.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    But was it a regular yellow jacket or her chic​ yellow jacket?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    this exactly:
    http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/a...0_1726149x.jpg

there was a joke here about worker bees vs. nile rodgers, but i couldn't make it happen.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm also too old to be posting about Nine Inch Nails, who is fronted by a man that is almost 50 years old.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Aren't you a little old to spend so much time here talking about video games and a TV show with dragons?
    Are you seriously comparing the maturity level of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with Game of Thrones? What the fuck is wrong with you?

vs

Yeah, that's a totally sensible comparison.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-20-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Are you seriously comparing the maturity level of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with Game of Thrones? What the fuck is wrong with you?
    You're talking to the same guy that drops a shitload of money to travel and see Manson.

It would be one thing if this were the Transformers approach of being a blockbuster targeted to all audiences, but TMNT for the past 25 years have always geared towards kids and pre-teens. This looks no different. Major difference between Game of Thrones and TMNT are the audiences they reach, obviously polar opposites.

All that being said, this is probably going to suck, and when I say probably, I mean will.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Can't we all just get along?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Exactly, can't people who have nothing good to say about something, just stay away from the thread? If you're not a fan of it, that's great, but why do people who hate it seem to always come back into the same thread continuiously saying over and over how much of a failure something is going to be, or how much something sucks? If you don't like it, fine, say it once and move on. Or better yet, don't even bother saying it at all.

Anyway, back on topic.

Here are some more set photos of Raph an April, which appears to be using his Sais.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    But I'm fairly sure that's the same movie they were already talking about up there. EVERYONE saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) and almost NO ONE saw TMNT (2007). Which is a shame, it was pretty damned great, too. For that matter, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Forever (2009) is perhaps the best and most loving tribute to ALL iterations of the franchise, start-to-finish.

And, looking at the people involved and the on-set pix that have leaked from this film so far, I can't help but think those near-perfect installments are about to have some long-overdue company at the top of their field!
    i actually enjoyed the 2007 TMNT, even so didn't come close to 1990. Haven't seen the 09 forever yet, might have to check it out.
    not holding out any hope for this movie though, doubt I'll go see it. From the on set pics the foot look really shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    It would be one thing if this were the Transformers approach of being a blockbuster targeted to all audiences, but TMNT for the past 25 years have always geared towards kids and pre-teens
    Ahhh I agree that it's stupid to compare GoT to TMNT but have you seen teenage mutant ninja turtles? Probably more age accessible than the transformer garbage. TMNT is a childhood favourite for me, but I still love it, and not just for nostalgic reasons. Off the top of my head, when Casey is called claustrophobic and he responds "I've never even looked at another man", pretty sure that's not expected to make sense to children. God Elias Koteas was the perfect Casey hahaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Exactly, can't people who have nothing good to say about something, just stay away from the thread?
    No. It's called discussion. If you only want to hear positives maybe you should stay away from the thread. If you're that delicate that hearing anything bad about a movie you think you'll enjoy is going to upset you, perhaps you shouldn't have an Internet connection. It's not like people here are having a bitch that it's being made. I find it kind of annoying when people hear of an adaptation or remake and automatically scream rape of their beloved (as if it detracts from the thing they love), but nobody here has said that... Wrap yourself in cotton wool coz - THIS FILM IS GOING TO BE SHIT.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Nothing can beat 1987 series. Nothing.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Absolutely correct!

TMNT was good, i expected so much more but i think it's decent and it was nice to see the turtles after all those years, i don't get the hate, sure it's geared towards children yet it's mature in many ways and i appreciate the inclusion of Kairai (one of the best characters of the TMNT universe) my only issue was the story, too simplistic and a bit corny (but not horrible or dumb)

I have to check TMNT: Forever, loved the 2000's cartoons, i think it was a great step up for the franchise and i felt bad when it was cancelled, i already downloaded the movie, so im watching this one after work...

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minpin View Post
    i actually enjoyed the 2007 TMNT, even so didn't come close to 1990. Haven't seen the 09 forever yet, might have to check it out.
    not holding out any hope for this movie though, doubt I'll go see it. From the on set pics the foot look really shit.
    Ahhh I agree that it's stupid to compare GoT to TMNT but have you seen teenage mutant ninja turtles? Probably more age accessible than the transformer garbage. TMNT is a childhood favourite for me, but I still love it, and not just for nostalgic reasons. Off the top of my head, when Casey is called claustrophobic and he responds "I've never even looked at another man", pretty sure that's not expected to make sense to children. God Elias Koteas was the perfect Casey hahaha.
    No. It's called discussion. If you only want to hear positives maybe you should stay away from the thread. If you're that delicate that hearing anything bad about a movie you think you'll enjoy is going to upset you, perhaps you shouldn't have an Internet connection. It's not like people here are having a bitch that it's being made. I find it kind of annoying when people hear of an adaptation or remake and automatically scream rape of their beloved (as if it detracts from the thing they love), but nobody here has said that... Wrap yourself in cotton wool coz - THIS FILM IS GOING TO BE SHIT.
    Agreed on the discussion part. Forums are designed for people to voice their opinions on whether they like that subject or not. Telling somebody not to read it because they differ from your opinion is not only extremely annoying and pointless, it also defeats the purpose of having a forum.

As for your point about it being more age accessible than Transformers. In what way? To me Transformers from the get go (the franchise being rebooted, not in general) was always destined to be a blockbuster franchise that skewed older than the kids who watch cartoons, where TMNT seems extremely kid friendly and outside of nostalgia purposes, will probably have a hard time catering to an older audience. I loved the Turtles when I was growing up, but I'm not thrilled about the film whatsoever.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Wasn't the original story based on turtles that attacked and ate people? I'd go see a movie about that

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    As for your point about it being more age accessible than Transformers. In what way? To me Transformers from the get go (the franchise being rebooted, not in general) was always destined to be a blockbuster franchise that skewed older than the kids who watch cartoons, where TMNT seems extremely kid friendly and outside of nostalgia purposes, will probably have a hard time catering to an older audience. I loved the Turtles when I was growing up, but I'm not thrilled about the film whatsoever.
    was only talking about the 1990 turtles, and it may just be a change of times, but to release that film nowadays it would not be aimed at children/pre teens. Not necessarily for any graphically violent scenes (though Casey 'slipping' and crushing shredder in the garbage truck at the end I don't think would fly) but more the dark aesthetic of the film. Kids smoking and shit (Sam rockwells 'menthols or regular' haha).
    But yeah, you caught me speaking out of my arse a little hahaha, have only seen the first transformers and thoroughly hated it. Comparing only those two films really (I have no intention of watching any more transformers) I thought that transformers was too polished and family friendly.
    In complete arrogance I'll put it out that any normal adult would enjoy the '90 turtles more than the shitty transformers, not counting nostalgia.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I won't lie, I watched Secret of the Ooze a while back and I thought it was more coherent and entertaining than the first two Transformers films. If you've seen the first, there's no need to see the next two. Also, I really hate Megan Fox.