Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Radiohead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    At the price they're asking, I would assume it has to be limited in some respect.

I would be shocked if it sold out that fast though at that price. I bought it around 11 am or so pacific USA time.
    They might have a staggering sale system to prevent overselling quantity.

It's still not working though? When was the last time you tried to buy it? What is the error message you're getting?
    When I try Paypal, it won't ever load the next screen. I've tried on my computer and my phone.

When I try my credit card, it takes me to an error screen, saying I have my security code wrong (pretty sure I don't) or that I had made a purchase earlier in the day. That's weird, as I held off buying it at all until I knew I liked the album or not.

It's still doing this to me, BTW.

EDIT: So my CC was blocking me from ordering from the UK, apparently. They just called me right after I got the paypal order to go through, of course. I don't really know why paypal was being a bitch, but it all worked out. Huzzah.
    Last edited by Amnesiac; 09-27-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    so regarding Yorke's message about a new way to distribute... i guess. but a thing has to be popular enough to have seeding. if a thing is that popular, can't those artists afford to use a direct download store that does cost them a little something? the artists who are lesser know and really need to be able to sell their work with a very low cost to themselves may not be able to keep enough seeds. what if i buy a torrent and can't download the damn thing? seems a bit odd. this is just my first reaction thoughts about this, and it's entirely possible that my assumptions are flawed. anyone else have thoughts?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'd say all you need is one seeder with good upload speed so it doesn't seem like a hard thing to do these days, who knows you cold even do that from a starbucks or some other WiFi enabled place. Whoever uses this way of distribution would have to master torrents obviously but this isn't rocket science.
    Maybe my assumptions are flawed too though

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    so regarding Yorke's message about a new way to distribute... i guess. but a thing has to be popular enough to have seeding. if a thing is that popular, can't those artists afford to use a direct download store that does cost them a little something? the artists who are lesser know and really need to be able to sell their work with a very low cost to themselves may not be able to keep enough seeds. what if i buy a torrent and can't download the damn thing? seems a bit odd. this is just my first reaction thoughts about this, and it's entirely possible that my assumptions are flawed. anyone else have thoughts?
    This is exactly my thought - why BitTorrent? If you're somebody like Thom Yorke, can't you afford your own store?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Well, even if you are left with one person hosting the master file, that is the responsibility of the artist to essentially provide their own server which is always on. Most people I know seem to leave their PCs on 24/7 anyway, but it could even be done with say a Raspberry Pi or NUC device. Either way, running that would be far cheaper in transaction and service charges than hosting the files on a service like Bandcamp whose rates are fine, just not quite as empowering as doing it yourself. Not that I looked at the costs to host with BitTorrent, but I'm guessing its cheaper..
    Anyway.. I like the album, sparse and nocturnal sounding. Nothing jumps out as particularly special (no Harrowdown Hill single-style tracks) but a good listen none the less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    Well, even if you are left with one person hosting the master file, that is the responsibility of the artist to essentially provide their own server which is always on. Most people I know seem to leave their PCs on 24/7 anyway, but it could even be done with say a Raspberry Pi or NUC device. Either way, running that would be far cheaper in transaction and service charges than hosting the files on a service like Bandcamp whose rates are fine, just not quite as empowering as doing it yourself. Not that I looked at the costs to host with BitTorrent, but I'm guessing its cheaper..
    Anyway.. I like the album, sparse and nocturnal sounding. Nothing jumps out as particularly special (no Harrowdown Hill single-style tracks) but a good listen none the less.
    I agreee, but replace Harrowdown Hill with Cymbal Rush, I quite like it though.

EDIT: Well, you said SINGLE, so I'd say there's no (time to) Analyze. (I love that song)

EDIT2(sorry): This shit is great, Nose Grows Some is my new favorite. That tends to happen with me, though.
    Last edited by Amnesiac; 09-28-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    loved eraser and i'm enjoying this to!!! Thanks Thom. =)

The Mother Load- yes, this is it. love.
    Last edited by Rabbit; 09-29-2014 at 06:05 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Loving the record. Definitely some Burial influences. 'Guess Again' starts off sounding like 'Paradise Circus' by Massive Attach.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    my modern boxes copy finally showed up. here are my solo yorke records

Last edited by hologram parade; 10-16-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've had their Austin City Limits performance DVR'd for quite some time... Just got around to watching it.. It's fucking amazing. I love That version of The Amazing Sounds of Orgy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Looks like we'll be waiting for a while on this one...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Anyone going to Philip Selway's solo shows upcoming? I really enjoyed his first LP but the new one is taking a little longer to settle. The two singles are very strong, however.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So...

are we ever getting a true follow up to 2007's In Rainbows?

srsly.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "King of Limbs" was lackluster to say the least...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I actually really like TKoL and the live stuff like Identikit all seemed great to me. I fully expect something different. I don't think anything has been entirely predictable since Amnesiac.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    TKoL rules. Better than In Rainbows for my money.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Love them both. I'll never understand why people don't like The King Of Limbs.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I found it cold and lacking in emotion. I really didn't connect to that one in any way...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I connected with it so much, I wanted to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I wanted to swim in it until I drowned.

Edit: I loved "In Rainbow," too, though.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-15-2015 at 03:00 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The King Of Limbs is great as it is, and would be even better if they'd add Twisted Words and The Butcher. The latter is may favorite song from this era.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    TKoL is an okay album, it just doesn't even come close to living up to the standards of In Rainbows or really any other Radiohead album.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    The Butcher is one of my favorite Radiohead songs. By a mile.

Funny enough I've seen some people say it's a cold/empty feeling album and yet a lot of people who love it feel the exact opposite. To my ears there's a strong, vivid nature sound, a really organic vibe to it. Tons of birds, imagery of trees, forests, passing bees, wind blowing through your hair as the sunlight trickles through the leaves and fields. It's just a beautiful record. It's concise, it's almost dream like. It reminds me of days where I've fallen asleep in front of a window or with an open door and woken up from a nap to the feel of sunlight on the side of my face in the late afternoon, the sound of birds chirping in the neighborhood. It's a sleepy, dreamy, in touch with nature type of record that if I'm in the right head space for can be incredibly calming, peaceful and grounding.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    To me it came off as a soul less, flat wannabe retread of the styling and experimentation that was on Kid A and Amnesiac. Huge disappointment and let down from the super awesome In Rainbows. There isn't a dull song on that entire album. I'd even listen to Pablo Honey over King of Limbs. I've only listened to King of Limbs once before saying never again. I listened to maybe Lotus Flower a few more times after to try it again but still flat and boring.

It pains me too to say that it's an awful album but sorry, it is.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I've only listened to King of Limbs once before saying never again. I listened to maybe Lotus Flower a few more times after to try it again but still flat and boring.

It pains me too to say that it's an awful album but sorry, it is.
    You are entirely entitled to your opinion and if you hate it then you hate it and you're not wrong to feel however you do, but I just have to say that if you've only heard all but one song once, that might be a big reason. Especially if you were expecting a continuation of In Rainbows. Very often albums like this will throw you off and take a few chances to get you into their groove. I didn't think much of it until a few tries, and all of a sudden it just clicked. Bloom, Codex, Separator, they're great.

Also if you hated that album you probably ignored the overall era so do yourself a favor and at least give The Butcher and Identikit listens.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I've heard songs from it more than once but not in one listen nor one entire song I could recall by name other than Lotus Flower (hence why I name dropped it). I've watched live show performances and it translates better but still is mediocre.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I do not care for TKOL excluding for "Morning Mr Magpie".
    I tried and tried to like this album and this comes from someone that liked "Kid A" the first time he heard it, yet i don't find anything to "connect" with on the album. I admit that it was interesting arrangements and the production values are awesome but the album does nothing for me, sorry.
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-15-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I believe that TKOL is primarily an ALBUM, meaning it's intended to be listened to as an album in its entirety. I love it as a car album, especially on long trips or daily long city commutes. It did not leave the CD player in my car for about 4 months.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Then maybe I'll give the turd another listen then if that's what its intention is.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Then maybe I'll give the turd another listen then if that's what its intention is.
    I get that you don't like it and as I said that's fair but you keep constantly insulting it as if your distaste for it means it is just objectively bad. It's not. If we were talking about a Nickelback album and you called it a turd I think no one here would complain at all but the technical prowess, mixing, arrangements and bare minimum approach to TKoL is pretty great. It may not be your style or your jam but I just don't see why you're being so aggressive about it? You're usually someone whose posts I love seeing, too, so it's surprising, and I don't think intentional, but you're coming off as if you think your opinion is worth more.

If you really hate it, don't worry about it. There's a ton of music you'll never hear in your life, may as well not waste it on things you're set in opinion on. But don't discredit it for everyone else.