Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1249

Thread: Radiohead

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Why do you think there's a Citizen Insane hashtag? The song was released during the HTTT era (maybe there's a Kid A/Amnesiac version?)
    Here's your answer: http://citizeninsane.eu/music/httt/citizeninsane.html

It's unknown whether the music was already in existance during the sessions for Kid A, but the title phrase appears in the artwork of Amnesiac

I can't recommend that website enough. The amount of details collected for each song is stunning.
    Shame they stopped updated shortly after OKNOTOK release and the creator has been completely AWOL since that time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is all so cool. I'm curious on the extra songs and new versions. I kinda wish the b-sides would be included, make it the complete edition. In the end, as for the bundle, I may skip it, I recently bought Amnesiac on vinyl (which I didn't even played it yet) and I may only look for Kid A stand alone. The book is interesting.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    How come it’s called Kid Amnesiae but says Kid Amnesia on the album covers?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    How come it’s called Kid Amnesiae but says Kid Amnesia on the album covers?
    "Kid Amnesiae" is the new collection of leftovers specifically, and we haven't seen any individual packaging for that one (yet?). The rerelease in general is Kid A Mnesia.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I don't know if it's accurate to call everything on the new disc "leftovers", exactly — certainly some of them are ("If You Say the Word" and "Follow Me Around" would both appear to fit that description), maybe 'outtakes and alternates' is the industry-speak one would see on other special edition album reissues. We don't know what the three untitled tracks are, yet, though there is speculative work going on in the Radiohead subreddit that this is one of them... to my ears it would appear to be the "Pulk/Pull (True Love Waits Version)", which we heard an earlier version of on the Minidisc dump, but then I Might Be Wrong:

Then, you have several other alternative versions of previously released stuff, like the isolated strings from "Pyramid Song" and "How to Disappear Completely" (which should be gorgeous). I'm particularly curious about the third version of "Morning Bell"...
    Last edited by botley; 09-08-2021 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    to my ears it would appear to be the "Pulk/Pull (True Love Waits Version)", which we heard an earlier version of on the Minidisc dump, but then I Might Be Wrong:

Pretty sure I hear tons of elements from Kid A (the song) but nothing from P/P. Can't see any title that would correspond to Kid A on the bonus disc though. One of the Untitled ones perhaps?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Here we go again, buying stuff i already have...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Pretty sure I hear tons of elements from Kid A (the song) but nothing from P/P. Can't see any title that would correspond to Kid A on the bonus disc though. One of the Untitled ones perhaps?
    Yes, the distorted vocal bits are definitely similar to the "Kid A" arrangement. But the repeating Rhodes piano bits are from this:

Which dates back to the '97 version of "True Love Waits" and was recycled for the backing track of "Pulk/Pull" according to this: http://citizeninsane.eu/music/amnesiac/pulkpull.html

Guess they had multiple goes at recycling those sounds before finding a final form. Anyhow, when you look under the YouTube auto-generated info for that teaser, it says it contains "Untitled v1", and the duration matches what the track listing says for that track on Apple Music, so that must be what they're calling it on the new set.
    Last edited by botley; 09-08-2021 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The Consequence of Sound website mentions that there is a record store exclusive 3xLP red vinyl set, do you think this is it?
    https://www.amoeba.com/kid-a-mnesia-...lbums/4258158/

Edit: that's not it, it's this one and pre-order is sold out https://www.amoeba.com/kid-a-mnesia-...lbums/4258157/

Will go to a store on release date, it'll be exciting
    Last edited by cahernandez; 09-09-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    https://www.fatbeats.com/collections...-a-mnesia-3xlp

I think I like that one more than the cream. And it's way cheaper!

edit: Oh, because of the art book that I might look at once or twice.

Last edited by allegate; 09-09-2021 at 10:37 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Without further ado, I'm pleased to release the first discs in this collection.

Wendy Carlos's Twin and I have been chipping away at this project for around two years, and we are now satisfied that we have pulled together every single officially released Radiohead b-side and rarity in existence (using the best possible sources of course). Tracks are taken from singles, EPs, promos, acetate cassettes, compilation appearances, magazine giveaways, dvds, vhs, and download only singles, and have been remastered by WCT only where absolutely required. A lot of thought has been put into arranging these 320 tracks (everything in its right place, so to speak), ensuring each disc stands up as a quality listening experience in its own right.

This project would not have been possible without the assistance of Radiohead fans around the world, particularly the kind-hearted community at discogs.com, and the webmasters of rhtrack.com and citizeninsane.eu (both excellent resources).

This collection will be updated periodically, so please send any updates or corrections (no matter how small - we're very pernickety about this being free from errors and typos) to rheverylastcrumb at gmail dot com.

Enjoy!
    If you want something to dig into until October.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    WCT has done some incredible work on this one, from adding ambience to the raw soundboard tracks, to fixing glitches and channel reversals.
    Crank the volume and strap yourself in for a very smooth and satisfying listen :nice:

Link

=========
    RADIOHEAD
    =========

REMEMBERING:
    KID A MNESIAC LIVE

Compiled, matrixed & mastered by Wendy Carlos's Twin
    Artwork by ridleybradout
    October 2021

FAN-MADE PROJECT - NOT FOR SALE

*Share freely but do not distribute as mp3*

This is a live soundboard compilation of songs from Kid A and Amnesiac, taken from the 2000 and 2001 tours.
    The songs are sourced from broadcasts, internal promos and individual tracks that Thom gifted to a fan on CDR.
    The songs provided by Thom are raw soundboard feeds, so these have been matrixed with audience recordings to
    match the ambience of the rest of the songs. The intent was to create a continuous listening experience,
    though the transitions are not always perfect. Regardless, we are very happy with the results. Two additional
    cover songs (originally by Can and Neil Young, respectively) have been added to the end of the program, which
    is just under 80 minutes total. This compilation is meant to supplement the welcome but somewhat bereft
    "Kid A Mnesiac" anniversary release.

TRACKLIST
    =========

01 The National Anthem (Verona)
    02 Morning Bell (Dublin)
    03 I Might Be Wrong (Jersey City #2)
    04 Dollars & Cents (Verona)
    05 You And Whose Army? (Nijmegen)
    06 Optimistic (Dublin)
    07 In Limbo (Adenau)
    08 Packt Like Sardines (Vaison la Romaine)
    09 Knives Out (Hollywood)
    10 Pyramid Song (Jersey City #2)
    11 Kid A (Berlin)
    12 Idioteque (London)
    13 Everything In Its Right Place (Atlanta)
    14 How To Disappear Completely (Jersey City #1)
    15 Motion Picture Soundtrack (Dublin)

BONUS TRACKS:
    16 The Thief (Warrington)
    17 Cinnamon Girl (Paris)

SOURCES
    =======

2000-07-04 Berlin, DE - Groίer Sendesaal des SFB (Pro-Recorded Promo)
    2000-09-16 Nijmegen, NL - Goffertpark (Broadcast)
    2000-09-24 London, UK - Victoria Park (Soundboard/Audience Matrix)
    2000-10-02 Warrington, UK - Victoria Park (Broadcast)
    2000-10-07 Dublin, IE - Punchestown Race Course (Pro-Recorded Promo)
    2001-04-28 Paris, FR - Studio Canal+ (Broadcast)
    2001-05-28 Vaison La Romaine, FR - Theatre Antique d'Vaison (Soundboard/Audience Matrix)
    2001-05-30 Verona, IT - Verona Arena (Soundboard/Audience Matrix)
    2001-06-01 Adenau, DE - Nόrburgring (Broadcast)
    2001-07-30 Atlanta, GA - Stone Mountain Park (Soundboard/Audience Matrix)
    2001-08-16 Jersey City, NJ - Liberty State Park (Soundboard/Audience Matrix)
    2001-08-17 Jersey City, NJ - Liberty State Park (Soundboard/Audience Matrix)
    2001-08-20 Hollywood, CA - Hollywood Bowl (Soundboard/Audience Matrix)

another fan-made project.

and just to clear any confusion, the "I" is not myself.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    another fan-made project.

and just to clear any confusion, the "I" is not myself.
    I am IN AWE of the work these people put in and the love and dedication they have for Radiohead/TY.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    After 23 years, it's finally here! Always fun to hear old stuff. So we got Nude, True Love Waits, Man-o-war and Follow Me Around. Any oldies missing from the vault?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Any oldies missing from the vault?
    Are you asking did they release any other old songs in some way, or are there more still unreleased/unrecorded ones?
    There's a good bunch in both cateories

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I would just like to mention that "If You Say The Word" has been on constant repeat for over a month. Straight masterpiece. It's like the disconnected offspring of "Climbing Up The Walls" and "You And Whose Army". It's hard to believe the band just sat on this one. And it makes their 1997-2003 output all the more impressive. For me, it rivals and perhaps even surpasses the Pumpkins 1992-1998 era in terms of quality/quantity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Does anyone know if this version of Pulk/Pull-True Love Waits is a studio mash up of the time or was this an actual take of True Love Waits that then was cut and the arrangement used for Pulk/Pull. There are some really cool things and ideas on here, even if they are just parts or sketches of things we have heard, very creative time for the band.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha 60 View Post
    Does anyone know if this version of Pulk/Pull-True Love Waits is a studio mash up of the time or was this an actual take of True Love Waits that then was cut and the arrangement used for Pulk/Pull. There are some really cool things and ideas on here, even if they are just parts or sketches of things we have heard, very creative time for the band.
    I think there was a version of TLW on either OKNOTOK tape or Minidiscs (or both) where the whole backing track is basically piano loops that were later reused for P/P. So it's probably an actual take of how the song existed at some point in time and not a mash up.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I just played the first track off the bonus disk. Jesus christ Like Spinning Plates is just so beautiful!!!! With piano, no reversed vocals, an extra verse, I love it!

Edit: ok, this "3rd" disc is quite interesting. The first half are songs, and the second half is an instrumental medley. It works, it flows really well, it's listenable! It's its own experience.
    Last edited by PhoenixML; 11-05-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Lightbulb

Spun the new Kid Amnesiae disc on Tidal, and it surely sheds a bunch of light on the band trying different approaches on their way to the finals in these sessions. Nigel Godrich has done a bang-up job cross-fading between tracks to make it flow nicely, but I don't buy the "whole new album" line... they're obviously alternate versions, and a couple of outtakes, with a few fragmentary patchwork quilts flown in, consisting of unused layers and isolated snippets. Do I see myself reaching for these versions as much as the previously released ones? No; but "Spinning Plates" with the untreated vocals and the piano part is really cool (and better than the 'Grade Two arpeggio' part Thom plays live, certainly). "Fog" still works best as a Thom-on-piano piece; however, it's nice to have a full (if brief) band version in straight 6/8 tempo at last!

"If You Say the Word" has grown on me a bit, but it's nowhere near top tier. Sounds like a rehearsal for "There There", and the multimeter guitar stuff on The King of Limbs, only not as fleshed out. "Follow Me Around" works really well with this bare treatment; they surely mucked around with more layering and different chord voicings etc. as well, but I love it just with that droning drop-D acoustic riff and Thom's soaring vocal, sounding ever-so-slightly alien with a harmonizer/vocoder/ondes martenot speaker effect. Lovely performance, and the wide stereo panning lends an eerie reality to it.

"How to Disappear into Strings" (and ondes) is my favourite track on the whole collection. Will never forget the first time I saw them do the song live, and watching Jonny start the ondes loop at the beginning through a giant oscilloscope projected above the stage. It's nice to get the names of all the players in the credits as well. "Pyramid Strings" is less exciting, because it's just the tiniest bit of the song, and cross-faded into the other short snippets of alternate/early "Fast Track" and "Morning Bell" versions... a tease, really. The untitled tracks are layers from other pieces stuck together, which is unusual. I do see why they dropped "True Love Waits" and replaced it with the spoken word stuff, it almost works... but doesn't have that compelling spookiness of "Revolving Doors".

EDIT: The main albums appear to be identical with the previously released versions, and not remastered — at least not on digital platforms. There's no mastering engineer credited for the new disc, either. I would be interested to know how it all sounds on vinyl... but not enough to gamble my own cash just yet.
    Last edited by botley; 11-07-2021 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Great analysis @botley , thank you for sharing!

The bonus disc has some interesting moments but overall feels half-baked compared to OK Computer's disc of new tracks + b-sides. That's really what I wanted here: These new songs plus the brilliant b-sides like "Kinetic" and "Amazing Sounds of Orgy" all in one package with the albums. Missed opportunity IMO.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    well, I got the cassette and 3 LP black vinyl.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I've always wished that KID A and AMNESIAC were officially treated like a Double Album rather than two separate releases from the same sessions. Feels good to listen to all three discs now as if this album is an Fragile-esque headtrip.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Were Kid A and Amnesiac remastered for this release?

Some records are dying for a remaster while others shouldn't be touched. These are the latter for me.

But regardless I'm always interested when something I like gets tweaked. With Teeth comes to mind. And I feel the same way about the upcoming 1.Outside and Earthling remasters in the Bowie set.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Were Kid A and Amnesiac remastered for this release?

Some records are dying for a remaster while others shouldn't be touched. These are the latter for me.

But regardless I'm always interested when something I like gets tweaked. With Teeth comes to mind. And I feel the same way about the upcoming 1.Outside and Earthling remasters in the Bowie set.
    RMS values for the main album content are identical between this new digital release and rips of the "original" CDs. The RMS value for "Motion Picture Soundtrack" appears different, but once you tack the hidden track back on it also is identical to past releases.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    well, I got the cassette and 3 LP black vinyl.
    Have they arrived yet? How do they sound?

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Have they arrived yet? How do they sound?
    I don't think the physical packages are expected to arrive until early 2022. So far I've only listened to the new tracks (which could probably be called more accurately 'painstakingly restored demo/alt takes' than anything else) on Spotify. The cassette tape version was supposed to come with access to all the digital files as of now, but so far I haven't gotten any notifications/downloads from the band's end of things; just my PayPal confirming that I placed the order.