Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Radiohead

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I get that you don't like it and as I said that's fair but you keep constantly insulting it as if your distaste for it means it is just objectively bad. It's not. If we were talking about a Nickelback album and you called it a turd I think no one here would complain at all but the technical prowess, mixing, arrangements and bare minimum approach to TKoL is pretty great. It may not be your style or your jam but I just don't see why you're being so aggressive about it? You're usually someone whose posts I love seeing, too, so it's surprising, and I don't think intentional, but you're coming off as if you think your opinion is worth more.

If you really hate it, don't worry about it. There's a ton of music you'll never hear in your life, may as well not waste it on things you're set in opinion on. But don't discredit it for everyone else.
    Don't know how you're getting that from my words, they're not any different than usual. Maybe since I'm using some creative words?

I might be seen as more aggressive as I genuinely love and care for the band's work. Maybe since it really does pain me that this has been the last piece of work that the band has created in almost 5 years (2016 marks 5 years since release) and it was a complete flop to me initially (and probably still will be) and I never saw a reason to revisit it; after such promise of In Rainbows direction this took a curve ball and a southward bound trip to hell for me. It just left me flabbergasted and still does. The lack of any real news or new music just makes me that more sour about it.

My opinion isn't worth more than anyone else's, never was and never will be. Never really meant to indicate that in the slightest.

Call me when more album news drops. I'd be the first to chime in and post.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @Space Suicide it's all good man, sorry if I misinterpreted.

It was a bit between In Rainbows and TKoL as well and Thom has had a massive level of side projects going on. It's still not Tool-level though and the full band is clearly interested in making a new record and have already worked on it. How much, who knows, but I definitely would expect it next year if not late this year.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I haven't really listened to TKoL very much. Maybe a few times when it came out but it never clicked with me for some reason as other albums did in the past. I just couldn't get into it. For me, the band's run from The Bends to In Rainbows is in my opinion in par with the great streak of albums by artists such as 1970s-era David Bowie and everything Zeppelin did from the first album to Physical Graffiti. I just hope the new Radiohead album is a return to more simpler times and not the overt-experimentation of the last album.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Don't know how you're getting that from my words, they're not any different than usual. Maybe since I'm using some creative words?
    I dunno, I just thought you were being funny. At least you're gonna give it another try AS AN ALBUM

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I dunno, I just thought you were being funny. At least you're gonna give it another try AS AN ALBUM
    With the turd comment I was being facetious so there's that.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    With the turd comment I was being facetious so there's that.
    Fecetious? LOL.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I’m in the yea camp with In Rainbows, and in the nay camp with The King of Limbs. I’ve given TKoL maybe 5 or 6 complete listens over the years, and unfortunately it is never not a chore for me to get through the whole thing. Here’s to hoping their next album isn’t lost on me.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Okay guys, sorry. Radiohead will do what you want next time

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I don't want them to do "what i want" next time; god knows they went their own way after "Kid A" and it was a good career move back then, they "changed" but they made me care even more for the band. "King of Limbs" failed to grab me, this has nothing to do with the musical direction or "what i expected from the band", i just did not cared for (almost) any of the songs and i got bored to death with it, i loved "In Rainbows" don't know what happened there...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    They did something they liked and you didn't. That's what happened.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    via Imgflip Meme Maker

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm a little surprised that so many people seem to be letting a single album ruin their expectations for Radiohead in the future. I don't really think anything since Amnesiac has directly followed the previous release in sense and style, and Amnesiac is really just Kid A: Disc 2, so kinda not since OK Computer.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Wait, when did "not liking an album" become equivalent to "being a capricious little bitch" ? I missed that memo.
    That said, I also missed the one that said that "liking a controversial album" equates to "sucking the band's collective dick", so what do I know...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Wait, when did "not liking an album" become equivalent to "being a capricious little bitch" ? I missed that memo.
    That said, I also missed the one that said that "liking a controversial album" equates to "sucking the band's collective dick", so what do I know...
    Whoa, touchy touchy, heh. I thought Botley was being sarcastic.

Face it, guys, this whole "TKoL really sucked" has been beaten to death for two years. We get it, a lot of you don't like it (a lot of ETS people hated In Rainbows, too), you've said so 400 times. And some of us do like it, but you keep telling us that you don't. This is a useless discussion, since Radiohead doesn't seem to give a shit either way.

We all know that Radiohead does whatever the fuck Radiohead wants. They're fucking weird, that's what makes them Radiohead.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2015 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i don't like about half of TKOL, but it's very exciting to me that the band chose that direction when IR's return to the rock/electronic hybrid could have been a very safe route to stay on and make buttloads of money from. instead, they threw everything out the window, and that ​is why i love this band.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Whoa, touchy touchy, heh. I thought Botley was being sarcastic.
    I got the sarcastic part, guess i misinterpreted the direction of the sarcasm then... My bad !

I get your point, but what's the point in giving an opinion, positive or not, about any album anyway ? One way or an other it gets beaten to death, one way or an other the band doesn't give a damn. Repeating how x album is amazing isn't any more valid in that department than saying it's lackluster...

We're exchanging views a bit more elaborate than "it's great" or "it sucks". I find it interesting to see what the people here liked about an album, or why it didn't grab them.
    Well, to me it's why we're on Echoing The Sound, and not on Consequence of Sound...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    i don't like about half of tkol, but it's very exciting to me that the band chose that direction when ir's return to the rock/electronic hybrid could have been a very safe route to stay on and make buttloads of money from. Instead, they threw everything out the window, and that ​is why i love this band.
    this.

this exactly this.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I get your point, but what's the point in giving an opinion, positive or not, about any album anyway ? One way or an other it gets beaten to death
    Maybe because we've been discussing it for over 3 years?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    In rainbows is one of my favorite releases from radiohead. Codex is one of my favorite songs from radiohead. The rest of tkol is meh... I always found it interesting that the 2011 record store day supercollider/butcher and the daily mail/staircase releases from the same year were in my opinion better than the the majority of the album they were probably rejected from

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    TKOL was fun, it's nice to have diversity in releases and not stick to one genre, Radiohead certainly knows how to do that. I only wished they'd put all these songs together instead of the multiple releases but all in all it was a good era for the band.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    dating myself hard but it took me a while to come around to ok computer after the bends.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slurfius View Post
    In rainbows is one of my favorite releases from radiohead. Codex is one of my favorite songs from radiohead. The rest of tkol is meh... I always found it interesting that the 2011 record store day supercollider/butcher and the daily mail/staircase releases from the same year were in my opinion better than the the majority of the album they were probably rejected from
    I agree, did not care for TKOL but liked "Daily Mail" a lot, the other songs are good too...

Look guys nobody is "beating the topic to death", if you liked the album, that's great you have every right to express it as much as the ones who hated it. I understand both sides and i'm not being disrespectful or "questioning" the bands direction, i wanted to like the album as much as you guys and i heard it with an open mind, i didn't liked it and that's it!, it's just that: an album i don't like; it doesn't mean i hate Radiohead now, just means it's "1" album i do not care for vs all the other "7" i care for...

They have every right to go the way they see fit as a band; a similar case are the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, when "Californication" came out, they changed their musical direction and i did not liked it, i lot of people do and that's great!, it's just not for me anymore, i'm not saying Radiohead is in that league but i can understand if a band does an album that many people love that leaves me indifferent about it, i just can hope i like the next one, that's it...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 02-16-2015 at 08:30 PM. Reason: I still like "Morning Mr Magpie"

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I think King of Limbs is great. It's infinitely more interesting than The Bends.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Pablo Honey is a great album, the bitchy British music press dissed them loads and called them ugly at the time, because they were not Shoegaze or Britpop sounding, but the album still stands up, and is a solid debut, Stop Whispering is a great track.
    I miss Thoms big Blonde hair too.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I like "Pablo Honey" a lot, never been ashamed to say that...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Pablo Honey and The Bends are the aberration, not the 'real' Radiohead. Thom was always really into underground electronic records — he was a DJ at art college — but "On a Friday" lucked into getting an EMI contract as a pop band, so that's the kind of album they turned in. It really is just derivative REM/Smiths/Pixies ripoff stuff. It was that sort of sound which happened to be percolating in the adolescent popular culture at the time & it touched a nerve, so they followed up with a similar album (although more aggressive/defiant and tinged with bitterness at having to play along with the pop star charade — "this is our new song, just like the last one, a total waste of time").

"Vegetable" is good
    "Stop Whispering" is okay
    "You" is terrific
    "Thinking About You" is alright
    "Blow Out" is great
    "Anyone Can Play Guitar" is meh
    "How Do You" is shite
    "Ripcord" is fine
    "Prove Yourself" is ugh
    "Lurgee" is forgettable
    "I Can't" is stupid
    "Creep"creppcreeondjwojnkgkchqvwyrukgk Zs ob Nxjwjhn ts yfifj b qvab

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I agree, did not care for TKOL but liked "Daily Mail" a lot, the other songs are good too...

Look guys nobody is "beating the topic to death", if you liked the album, that's great you have every right to express it as much as the ones who hated it. I understand both sides and i'm not being disrespectful or "questioning" the bands direction, i wanted to like the album as much as you guys and i heard it with an open mind, i didn't liked it and that's it!, it's just that: an album i don't like; it doesn't mean i hate Radiohead now, just means it's "1" album i do not care for vs all the other "7" i care for...

They have every right to go the way they see fit as a band; a similar case are the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, when "Californication" came out, they changed their musical direction and i did not liked it, i lot of people do and that's great!, it's just not for me anymore, i'm not saying Radiohead is in that league but i can understand if a band does an album that many people love that leaves me indifferent about it, i just can hope i like the next one, that's it...
    Good, and I hate The Fragile. Hate it. (And I hate Year Zero, too.) And I have every right to hate The Fragile, and to openly express that hate, and The Fragile Moonies have no right to jump all over my ass about it, trying to convince me why I should love it or how I'm not a "real fan" when for me it's mostly boring filler noodling with a few good songs.

This is, of course, not the place to discuss this, but it's a good example of how one album can cause so much trouble.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-17-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Good, and I hate The Fragile. Hate it. (And I hate Year Zero, too.) And I have every right to hate The Fragile, and to openly express that hate, and The Fragile Moonies have no right to jump all over my ass about it, trying to convince me why I should love it or how I'm not a "real fan" when for me it's mostly boring filler noodling with a few good songs.

This is, of course, not the place to discuss this, but it's a good example of how one album can cause so much trouble.
    Thank you! you got my point perfectly, i do like "The Fragile" but if you didn't liked it that's cool to me, no artist can make an "infalible" album that everyone will "like" (not even Michael Jackson).
    Music has to do with many sensibilities and interests, that's why it can be very subjective, as Iggy Pop said: "What sounds to you like a big load of trashy old noise, is in fact the brilliant music of a genius..."

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Thank you! you got my point perfectly, i do like "The Fragile" but if you didn't liked it that's cool to me, no artist can make an "infalible" album that everyone will "like" (not even Michael Jackson).
    Music has to do with many sensibilities and interests, that's why it can be very subjective, as Iggy Pop said: "What sounds to you like a big load of trashy old noise, is in fact the brilliant music of a genius..."
    Iggy also said, "I like music that's more offensive. I like it to sound like nails on a blackboard, get me wild.” Personally, I'm with Iggy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    3D and Thom Yorke released a soundtrack
    http://pitchfork.com/news/58613-thom...rack-for-free/

does anyone know if (how) you can download it?

Thanks