Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Placebo

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Placebo

PLACEBO CONFIRM HEADLINE SHOW AT THE 2012 SUNDANCE FILM & MUSIC FESTIVAL

2012 appears to be a very big year for events in London, but nevermind the Olympic Games, as the Sundance Film & Music Festival will roll into town at the O2 from the 26th-29th April.

As part of the Music Festival, we are delighted to announce that PLACEBO will be taking the stage to headline a show on Saturday 28th April at The o2 Indigo.

A special pre-sale is online NOW, allowing fans to get tickets a few days before the General Sale this Thursday 1st December.

Brian Molko spoke about the band's appearance at Sundance, saying: "As a band, we follow our own philosophy of making the music we want to make, putting faith in our songs and records. The Sundance Film Festival has been championing similarly like-minded people for over 30 years and encouraging them to put faith in their own talent."

In response Ingrid Sutej, Director of Content Development, at Sundance Institute said: "We're very excited about Placebo being a part of Sundance London. It will be fantastic to see this band perform in a more intimate setting; that they will be part of this new and unique festival points to the reach and attraction of Sundance."

Sundance Institute is a global non-profit organization founded by Robert Redford in 1981. Through its artistic development programs for directors, screenwriters, producers, composers and playwrights, the Institute seeks to discover and support independent film and theatre artists from around the world, and to introduce audiences to their work.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New additional UK shows announced:

April 25 - Edinburgh Picture House
    April 26 - Liverpool Olympia

AWKWARD TOUR IS AWKWARD.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    A friend in need is a friend indeed, a friend with weed is betrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    a friend with breasts and all the rest, a friend that's dressed in leathrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i can't really get into anything past sleeping with ghosts, but i used to love these guys. been ages, but i still stand by without you i'm nothing and black market music for all my nostalgic teen angst needs. caught them on the tour for the latter, at irving plaza. opening up with 'haemoglobin' blew my 19 year old mind.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    A friend in need is a friend indeed, a friend with weed is betrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    a friend with breasts and all the rest, a friend that's dressed in leathrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Someone recently tried to chat me up by misquoting those lyrics. Boner kill.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I bet it was johnbron.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I never really paid attention to Placebo bu I just love the version of Soulmates found on their latest b-sides album. Ion is a nice little instrumental track too.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    LMAO, the presale sold out almost instantly (Edinburgh went in three minutes apparently). At least I got tickets for icklekitty and myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have always LOVED Placebo. but I must say after MEDS i havent heard any of their music.
    I only attended Project Revolution to see them live, my wife and I were probably the only people there who left right afterwards, but I felt that my money had been well spent, and I had no need to see Linkin Park.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I still like them, i think "Battle for the sun" was a good effort and it has a lot of quality tracks like : "Kings of Medicine" and "Devil in the Details". By the way maybe you guys dont know this interview, maybe you do, but i think is fuckin hilarious, the fuckin interviewers deserve to be punched, but damn they made me laugh hard! XD

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 04-18-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love every release so far!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Cool thread bump with amusing videos. I've liked this band for some time. I love Without You I'm Nothing, Black Market Music and Battle for the Sun. For Battle being the most recent I think it holds up longer and sounds better than Meds, to me. I like almost all of their output.

My favorite songs would probably have to be Special K, Twenty Years, Ashtray Heart, Battle for the Sun and Infra-red. Though I must say I hold their cover of Running Up that Hill in high regards. I could never get into Kate Bush but their cover and the overall somber feel to it makes it an incredibly massive listen. Excellente!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    That's a shocking interview!

I don't know where to start with how much I love these fags.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    That's a shocking interview!

I don't know where to start with how much I love these fags.
    The assholes that conducted the interview are pricks and his show is equally pricklish, it shows obviously, still i love Brians reactions and faces, LOL

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    "this is the asshole of the world"

that was hilarious- thanks!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    The sad thing is that they try to be amusing at the band's expense, still i think they managed the interview nicely and it says a lot of their sense of humor (something very important in Mexico), returning to Placebo's music, i like all the releases but "Meds" is in my opinion the worst Placebo album (im not saying is bad, just not my favorite), i think they should go back to the early stuff with raw riffs like the first album, but t's impossible and i respect the band's decision of reinvent themselves

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Seeing these gays twice this week. I HATE PACKING, THAT IS ALL.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Hooray to Eastern Europe! Seems like they coming to Belarus in September, I think I'm going.
    Anyone know if they intend to tour the next album by that time? Or is it too early?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    UK setlist:

Leeloo (as intro)
    For What It's Worth
    Ashtray Heart
    Battle For The Sun
    Soulmates
    Every You, Every Me
    Special Needs
    Breathe Underwater
    Without You I'm Nothing
    Black-Eyed
    Meds
    Bright Lights
    Teenage Angst
    Special K
    Song To Say Goodbye
    The Bitter End
    ===============
    Running Up That Hill
    Post Blue
    Blind
    Infra-Red
    Taste in Men

They were a lot better this time around than the last tour.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    They don't play Pure Morning? What the...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    if anything, i'm surprised they're still closing with 'taste in men' after all these years... would've thought they'd be sick of that one as well.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Major nostalgia attached to this band. They were the first band I ever got really into. "Special K" (which I though was about breakfast cereal) was my jam when I was 11 and the videos for it and "Taste in Men" were the coolest ever. Black Market Music is such a fun album beginning to end. I'll also vouch for Sleeping With Ghosts - "Bulletproof Cupid", "English Summer Rain" and especially "The Bitter End" are absolute stormers of tracks. First two albums are great too, but everyone knows that.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, i kind of check out after sleeping with ghosts, found the two recent albums to be repetitive with muddier production and less memorable songs.

that said, while i seldom listen to them anymore, i tossed black market music on for nostalgia value the other day, and that album still destroys... 'days before you came,' 'haemoglobin,' etc. brought me back to the NYC show i caught at irving plaza. queued early to get in the front, bootlegged the show on an old cassette recorder. got checked out by brian molko after the show. ahhh, memories.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Funny that Meds seems to be so reviled in this thread. I loved that record, and thought it was very much in line with the first three. Sleeping With Ghosts is a tough listen for me, a lot of synthesizer wank with a couple great songs hiding out. Battle For the Sun, I think, is unlistenable. If you can find value in that album, good for you, but it turned me right off, with the exception of "For What It's Worth".

I've always loved this band, though, since eighth grade (almost half my life at this point). I love how goofy they are, that they're making Suede and Elastica music by way of Blink182, I love that Brian's been balding for years, and that the whole point of the band (youth, ambiguous sexuality, drug experimentation) was basically a punchline by Black Market Music and that their response to that was to go even further into parody. Awesome stuff.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I for one, also loved Meds. There are even some in Battle for the Sun that I liked, but definitely my least favorable album.

I saw Placebo live when they played in Brasilia, Brazi, years agol--- fucking amazing! I didn't know but two of their songs (and I didn't know I knew it until they played it) and then took the cd from sister, who didn't end up liking them as much as I did. I wish I had known more of the songs so I could remember what they played, but it was mostly from Without You I'm Nothing.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah, well you dicks like Nine Inch Nails. What do you know.

*strop*

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Brian stated at the London Q&A that new material will be released by the end of the year, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    that they're making Suede and Elastica music by way of Blink182, I love that Brian's been balding for years, and that the whole point of the band (youth, ambiguous sexuality, drug experimentation) was basically a punchline by Black Market Music and that their response to that was to go even further into parody.
    Last edited by slave2thewage; 04-30-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I think it's foolish to take Placebo more seriously than Placebo o. I love this band to death, but genius artistes they ain't.
    Or: I was commenting favourably on their sense of humour, something that virtually no post-90s bands have

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Meh, foreigners don't really get Placebo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)