Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Korn

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    The new album has a couple of decent tracks (the Skrillex ones) and bonus track Fuels the Comedy has a bit of bite to it. For the rest, the album is pretty boring and nondescript.
    I think it'd be a good idea to get Head back in the band: this band haven't had any riffs since he left.
    I think Ray Luzier is a horrible drummer however, completely unsuitable for Korn. Frankly I'd rather JD just go off and do a solo career, rather that continue to drag down the band's name with mediocre or off-target releases like the last 2 or 3 have been. Come back when you have a clue.
    They're always in such a rush to put new product out, they just seem unable to take a breather and figure out what the hell they're doing.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I couldn't agree more about their drummer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    just heard the new album, and i kinda like it.....i've never heard of this "dubstep" thing before, so i don't know what it means, or what defines it as such....but this album to me has an almost Y34R Z3R0 sound to it....going to see them in Brixton next month...hopefully they'll still do some of the old stuff too tho?

I think they seem to get a lot of flac for their albums never living up to expectations or not being what "korn" should sound like etc.....personally i LOVED that untitled album, and Korn III wasn't half bad either. both these albums beat this shit out of life is peachy for me...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloris View Post
    just heard the new album, and i kinda like it.....i've never heard of this "dubstep" thing before, so i don't know what it means, or what defines it as such....but this album to me has an almost Y34R Z3R0 sound to it....going to see them in Brixton next month...hopefully they'll still do some of the old stuff too tho?

I think they seem to get a lot of flac for their albums never living up to expectations or not being what "korn" should sound like etc.....personally i LOVED that untitled album, and Korn III wasn't half bad either. both these albums beat this shit out of life is peachy for me...
    Beat Life is Peachy? Their self titled and Life is Peachy are their magnum opuses to me.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I dont understand why Life Is Peachy get so much shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    self titled (first) album is a masterpiece, no dispute there....but to me, life is peachy just seems to be lacking somewhere....it' one of those albums I listened to endlessly when i was in secondary school, but now that i've grown older, i don't really know why....it's really not got much going for it in my opinion....they've far surpassed it with almost every other album they've ever made. When you're younger i guess things like twist etc sound "cool" because they're so different and extreme, but now that i'm older, I feel like they have done so much MORE, musically....they've just GROWN so much and developed into something more defined.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I still love their first two albums, they were so raw and felt so...real?
    Follow the Leader had moments, but All in the Family and even Children of the Korn bring it down a bit... (My Gift to You is still fucking epic).

Issue was OK and in retrospect was a lot better than what I or anyone else gave it credit for at the time, but after that they fell into a rut where every song needed to sound "epic" - it was all over produced and boring.
    When I heard about this new album I listened to "Get Up" - and while it's catchy and would be awesome if it was a remix, seeing as it's the vibe of the new album it feels so...cynical... a band that lost it's relevance nearly ten years ago does an album with the style of the latest, overused fad? and I'm not meant to think they left their 'integrity' at the door?

I was hoping that someone like Rick Rubin would lock them in a room as a four piece and just make them write 'live' songs, no using 30 voices on the chorus, no synths - just a distortion pedal for the guitars...

An after reading that Illuminati crap it even tarnishes the memory and respect I have for the first two albums...

IMO they should retire KoRn and use a different name until they rediscover why people found them interesting in the first place...

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Llife is Peach was kinda boring. S/T is what made Korn.

I personally thought that Follow The Leader is their best sounding album. Yes, it established Korn as a mainstream act but doesn't change its production values.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I am a life long korn fan. Hell, I have a couple of tats of their album covers. I have always enjoyed the music they put out. I even like most of the new album. But the guys are completely loosing touch with what made them sound fresh and new.
    I think its funny they think dubstep is this new and groundbreaking genre. Maybe at one time, but now in is just a trend and watered down garbage. They are starting to say some stupid stuff even IMO. I hope the next album they really experiment and just listen to the 4 of themselves. Don't let any producers, labels or trends effect what they want to accomplish.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Llife is Peach was kinda boring. S/T is what made Korn.

I personally thought that Follow The Leader is their best sounding album. Yes, it established Korn as a mainstream act but doesn't change its production values.
    I really don't care for Follow The Leader at all, minus perhaps 3 or 4 songs at most. Issues is a way better album.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I still think their first album is the best while I liked everything they did up till Issues which was an all right album. Untouchables had a few good tracks on it but a lot of it I found to be unmemorable. Everything else after that was shit. The band needs to just quit for good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw them at Brixton Academy last night and absolutely loved it!

Didn't really get the whole J-Devil thing though, I think he should stick to Korn, but hey, at least he's not afraid to try something new. I was also a little surprised at how much I was getting into the support act (downlink).

As for Korn themselves....brilliant, played a few classics from the first 2 albums (predictable, shoots and ladders, no place to hide, good god) and all the decent tracks from the new album, as well as the usual crowd pleasers like falling away from me etc...

The band were on top form I thought, I had so much fun!

Anyone else from the UK see them last night?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I still think their first album is the best while I liked everything they did up till Issues which was an all right album. Untouchables had a few good tracks on it but a lot of it I found to be unmemorable. Everything else after that was shit. The band needs to just quit for good.
    This, this, this.

Deep down there is hidden a little glimpse of hope that they might one day get Head back, get rid of that god-awful drummer and make one last badass record. But in reality, this won't happen. In reality, there will be an "S&M"-type record for sure, there will be a back to the roots hiphop record, there will be a record full of coversongs of cheesy 80s pop stuff, there will be irrelevant side projects.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    there will be a back to the roots hiphop record.
    That would be good. I think part of why Korn sucks so much these days is that they've completely forgotten hip hop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloris View Post
    Saw them at Brixton Academy last night and absolutely loved it!

As for Korn themselves....brilliant...

The band were on top form I thought, I had so much fun!
    Do you work for Roadrunner Records? I've been seeing Korn shows since the mid 90s and though I did not see the show you refer to, I saw them late last year in NYC and it was one of the worst shows I've been to. Obviously gig enjoyment is subjective and I am glad you had a good time...but I find it very very hard to believe they are "on top form." On the contrary I'd argue the new dubstep live show sucks out most of what made Korn great.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    peter:
    ...there will be a record full of coversongs of cheesy 80s pop stuff...

one of which is nin song, no more, no less perhaps the longer it stays unreleased, the better

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    DAvid Silvera arrested for DUI. He is also in this band now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ha ha, no i don't work for the record company lol....I just genuinely enjoyed the gig...one of the best I've been to.

I think that, as with many bands, too many people get caught up in an "ideal" about what the band "should" sound like.....which seems kinda silly to me. Korn are a band that are constantly evolving their sound. I used to be narrow minded too and thought that anything after the first two albums that a band creates is by default not their "true" sound....in reality, people change, bands grow into themselves and adapt to the times, and that's exactly what Korn are doing. With each album they release, they try something slightly different, and I find that refreshing.

But yeh, anyways, thoroughly enjoyed the night, the band got the crowd going and played a nice range of songs....absolutely loved it!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Ridiculous is the fact that they played San Antonio earlier in the year and charged $40 a pop for a ticket, they're coming back in two weeks and tickets for this show are...$5. It's a matter of time before they start doing the county fair circuit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm sure the whole dubstep album thing was a better idea when they first started recording it, but it blew up by the time they released it. Personally, I thought it was one of their better albums in recent years.

I think where they really went by the wayside was with Take A Look In The Mirror. In all of the interviews they kept saying they were going "back to their roots" and they made an album based on what they thought their fans wanted to hear, and it suffered in quality because of that. Untouchables seems to me to be the last album where Davis was genuine about what he was writing and not just re-hashing the same "stop picking on me dude, seriously" lyrics. It even ends with the line "I know it's time to leave these places far behind" which showed that he was aware that he needed to write about something else. Unfortunately, he didn't have anything else to write about =/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had a friend play me the first single off the new album. He said, "This is the future of music right here." If so, I think I'd be fine with the world ending in December.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    stop talking to that friend.

also, Jonathan Davis: STOP IT U DINGLEBERRY. YOU'RE A MIDDLE-AGED MAN....ENOUGH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Head koined Korn on stage at a recent concert.

There isnt much about Korn that excites me anymore, after Untouchables I stopped caring, but this has me genuinely interested as I think they lost most of their creativity with his departure.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    That was a cool reunion right there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes! I'm so so happy that happened. Let's hope in time he will come back full time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    anyone get Love and Death's new album?

Must say the first 5 tracks are pretty good and an overall good effort
    Not enjoyed a recent KoRn album as much as this.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    The first single/video is awful, that chorus so cringeworthy...Master master? Yeah whatever Head. Whatever.

so no, I'm not that motivated to check out the album. Does the rest of it follow that djent/emo template?
    Last edited by aggroculture; 02-02-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Not digging that Love and Death effort at all. I agree with aggro that the video and single is awful. Why is Head always chained up or tired up in all his videos?

But lyrically he's better than:

Flush!
    All the puke I'm throwing up
    In the toilet, this sucks

More of the same old shit...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Korn

Well, no one made a thread for this, and I'm expecting the worst... However, even through everything, they're still my favorite band. Especially with the recent events of Head joining for tours!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)