Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2013.08.09 - San Francisco, CA @ Outside Lands Music Festival

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Pumped on watching this tonight! So I assume by CST we'll be watching this at around 10:25 yes?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    [Technicality_nazi]
    It's actually CDT right now
    [/Technicality_nazi]
    But yes, 10:25
    Last edited by binaryhermit; 08-10-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Sad that I won't be catching this stream tonight, here's hoping for a decent webrip!

...I should probably post this somewhere else.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

2013.08.09 - San Francisco, CA @ Outside Lands Music Festival

I'm about 5 people deep from the front, right in front of the right speaker stack.

Too many people at this damn festival.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    VIP section on right

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Aaah, the show was great! I can't wait to see the stream and upload my pix.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Think I got a nice recording of this one... except for the big drunk dude who was right behind me shouting out slurred, poorly timed, off key, and sometimes just plain incorrect lyrics Luckily he was quiet for most of the show.

Big thanks to @RITCNIN for the equipment hookup!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just got back and wow, great set and excellent energy. I was amazed that the middle of the crowd (directly in front of the soundboard) was quite empty. Late in the show, people kept pouring in, exclaiming how they couldn't believe how open the view was, from that vantage point. Met some cool people and sang along and/or shouted because, you know, it was a show, we were excited and enjoyed the hell out of it. Most of the crowd in my vicinity was singing along; not sure if it was slurred or not; but, wow, amazing show. I look forward to seeing what people managed to capture/upload from this concert. Glad they played Burn and Something I Can Never Have. Also dug that Trent used the effects mic during burn; really added what was missing from previous performances of that song (for me, at least). Damn, doubt I'll sleep much. Yeah Yeah Yeahs were also amazing! Since I'm not a fan of Phoenix, I was glad I didn't have to wait through their set (as it ran simultaneous to NIN).

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Also dug that Trent used the effects mic during burn; really added what was missing from previous performances of that song
    I watched the stream and it sounded like he was singing it normally without the effects. In the Korean show recording you can hear the effects perfectly, but not at this show. Not from the stream anyway. It sounded amazing in Korea.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I watched the stream and it sounded like he was singing it normally without the effects. In the Korean show recording you can hear the effects perfectly, but not at this show. Not from the stream anyway. It sounded amazing in Korea.
    Odd, it was definitely notice by my friends and me. We were also struck how quiet, and clear, it (his voice) sounded during Hurt. Trent's whispered lyrics were particularly audible. Thankfully, no random Hurt claps that often occur.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I haven't watched the stream, but I suppose it's possible that Outside Lands had different mixes for the P.A. and the stream, respectively, and the vocal distortion in "Burn" was only applied in the former. Different/incorrect effect routing or something.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I haven't watched the stream, but I suppose it's possible that Outside Lands had different mixes for the P.A. and the stream, respectively, and the vocal distortion in "Burn" was only applied in the former. Different/incorrect effect routing or something.
    Yeah, I can't speak to that; it's beyond my technical knowledge. BTW, I appreciated the setlist change: I loved that Piggy did not follow "March of the Pigs." Also, I Just want Something I can Never Have straight into Reptile was jarring, in a good way. Seriously, of the 18 shows I've attended, this one was really up there for me. Still digesting. Heh, it was funny how the weather was sunny, most of the day, then got dreary/drizzled once NIN took the stage. It's not unusual for S.F., but, still was cool mood-setting experience. I'm glad I managed to avoid the video (but not audio) recordings of the other festivals, allowing me to know the songs; but, still be surprised by the visuals.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Here's the audio album:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x8...C_CA_(AAC).zip

125 Kbps AAC is the original broadcast format. Video is coming soon.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Yeah, I can't speak to that; it's beyond my technical knowledge. BTW, I appreciated the setlist change: I loved that Piggy did not follow "March of the Pigs." Also, I Just want Something I can Never Have straight into Reptile was jarring, in a good way. Seriously, of the 18 shows I've attended, this one was really up there for me. Still digesting. Heh, it was funny how the weather was sunny, most of the day, then got dreary/drizzled once NIN took the stage. It's not unusual for S.F., but, still was cool mood-setting experience. I'm glad I managed to avoid the video (but not audio) recordings of the other festivals, allowing me to know the songs; but, still be surprised by the visuals.
    Agreed. I don't care much for Piggy anyhow, and that was probably my favorite performance of SICNH ever. Even my friend, who isn't a NIN fan, was asking me questions about it since he loved it so much. The show was so good. NIN should have done a double headlining spot at OSL. :P
    Last edited by JessicaSarahS; 08-11-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Exactly my thoughts. I'm curious to see exactly what the difference was.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

@Ruined - I was mostly just joking around about the guy singing. Trying to get a perfect recording without any people on it when packed in with several thousand of them is futile.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Is there a full setlist out? Did "Disappointed" debut?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
    Did "Disappointed" debut?
    Disappointed had actually debuted in Korea on 7/28. You may be thinking of "Everything", which still hasn't debuted.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Someone posted a setlist last night. It was either here or the fapping thread. Disappointed was played. They played all 4 HM songs that were previously played.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    @Ruined - I was mostly just joking around about the guy singing. Trying to get a perfect recording without any people on it when packed in with several thousand of them is futile.
    Heh, no worries: Yeah, I can imagine recording, cleanly, in the middle of that sea of humanity would be impossible. As I posted, earlier, the worst is people who are just talking (either on their phone or in general, about random things with their friends) while NIN is playing. That's just...NO! I'm glad that was few and far between during last night's show.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Speaking of, I didn't hear a single person shout SHIT during Hurt. Did anyone else? That was a very pleasant surprise.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
    Disappointed had actually debuted in Korea on 7/28. You may be thinking of "Everything", which still hasn't debuted.
    Er, duh, yeah, that's what I meant to say. Embarrassing I should make that mistake having posted the abandoned Lollapalooza setlist that had it listed.. :P

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Speaking of, I didn't hear a single person shout SHIT during Hurt. Did anyone else? That was a very pleasant surprise.
    Agreed; can't remember the last time that occurred during a show (especially a festival of that size). It was great!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Picture time! The smoke machine was going crazy on the sides and made it difficult to get most of the band.

Rest of the pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessica...7635033058041/
    Last edited by JessicaSarahS; 08-12-2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: removed a pic

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    @JessicaSarahS - what camera are you using for those shots?

edit: flickr says Nikon Coolpix P100

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    @JessicaSarahS - what camera are you using for those shots?

edit: flickr says Nikon Coolpix P100
    Yep, that's the one! I <3 my little camera buddy...except it's not so little. :\

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    Yep, that's the one! I <3 my little camera buddy...except it's not so little. :\
    Do you ever have a problem getting a camera of that size through security?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Do you ever have a problem getting a camera of that size through security?
    Yeah, quite frequently. I'm always prepared to prove that it isn't pro/DSLR. If it's a GA show and I want rail, I get it approved by the house management prior to the doors opening and have them speak to whomever is searching my bag to inform them it's allowed. I've been delayed by a long questioning once, but I won't let it happen again. I've never had trouble at Staples Center and most large festivals though.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    If you guys are looking to purchase a camera for shows, I do get similar results with smaller cameras too. These are taken with a Nikon S6300: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessica...th/8429757347/

And these are with a Nikon S9100: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessica...7629612224300/

Just have to play around and practice with your configurations to see what works best for the show's lighting. Also, the Nikon S9100 has better video and audio quality than my P100.
    Last edited by JessicaSarahS; 08-13-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jessica, your pictures are great! Thank you for sharing. I had VIP for Outside Lands and got to the corner of the rail at 1:00 and remained there throughout Saturday. My one semi-complaint is VIP puts you on the right side of the stage and you are farther away then GA but pay more money? It was great being by Robin, but all the shots I have are profile no head on shots. The other issue was the person filming the whole festival was right in front of me the whole time, so I could only see Trent from chest up for most of it. I think he moved right before HLAH... I was thrilled to see your pics and show was beyond amazing!!
    Tracy