Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 98

Thread: 2013.08.09 - San Francisco, CA @ Outside Lands Music Festival

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,924
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Pumped on watching this tonight! So I assume by CST we'll be watching this at around 10:25 yes?

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    534
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    [Technicality_nazi]
    It's actually CDT right now
    [/Technicality_nazi]
    But yes, 10:25
    Last edited by binaryhermit; 08-10-2013 at 08:14 PM.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    553
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Sad that I won't be catching this stream tonight, here's hoping for a decent webrip!

    ...I should probably post this somewhere else.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,709
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

    2013.08.09 - San Francisco, CA @ Outside Lands Music Festival

    I'm about 5 people deep from the front, right in front of the right speaker stack.

    Too many people at this damn festival.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    San Francico
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    VIP section on right

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    802
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Aaah, the show was great! I can't wait to see the stream and upload my pix.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,709
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Think I got a nice recording of this one... except for the big drunk dude who was right behind me shouting out slurred, poorly timed, off key, and sometimes just plain incorrect lyrics Luckily he was quiet for most of the show.

    Big thanks to @RITCNIN for the equipment hookup!

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just got back and wow, great set and excellent energy. I was amazed that the middle of the crowd (directly in front of the soundboard) was quite empty. Late in the show, people kept pouring in, exclaiming how they couldn't believe how open the view was, from that vantage point. Met some cool people and sang along and/or shouted because, you know, it was a show, we were excited and enjoyed the hell out of it. Most of the crowd in my vicinity was singing along; not sure if it was slurred or not; but, wow, amazing show. I look forward to seeing what people managed to capture/upload from this concert. Glad they played Burn and Something I Can Never Have. Also dug that Trent used the effects mic during burn; really added what was missing from previous performances of that song (for me, at least). Damn, doubt I'll sleep much. Yeah Yeah Yeahs were also amazing! Since I'm not a fan of Phoenix, I was glad I didn't have to wait through their set (as it ran simultaneous to NIN).

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,358
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Also dug that Trent used the effects mic during burn; really added what was missing from previous performances of that song
    I watched the stream and it sounded like he was singing it normally without the effects. In the Korean show recording you can hear the effects perfectly, but not at this show. Not from the stream anyway. It sounded amazing in Korea.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I watched the stream and it sounded like he was singing it normally without the effects. In the Korean show recording you can hear the effects perfectly, but not at this show. Not from the stream anyway. It sounded amazing in Korea.
    Odd, it was definitely notice by my friends and me. We were also struck how quiet, and clear, it (his voice) sounded during Hurt. Trent's whispered lyrics were particularly audible. Thankfully, no random Hurt claps that often occur.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I haven't watched the stream, but I suppose it's possible that Outside Lands had different mixes for the P.A. and the stream, respectively, and the vocal distortion in "Burn" was only applied in the former. Different/incorrect effect routing or something.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I haven't watched the stream, but I suppose it's possible that Outside Lands had different mixes for the P.A. and the stream, respectively, and the vocal distortion in "Burn" was only applied in the former. Different/incorrect effect routing or something.
    Yeah, I can't speak to that; it's beyond my technical knowledge. BTW, I appreciated the setlist change: I loved that Piggy did not follow "March of the Pigs." Also, I Just want Something I can Never Have straight into Reptile was jarring, in a good way. Seriously, of the 18 shows I've attended, this one was really up there for me. Still digesting. Heh, it was funny how the weather was sunny, most of the day, then got dreary/drizzled once NIN took the stage. It's not unusual for S.F., but, still was cool mood-setting experience. I'm glad I managed to avoid the video (but not audio) recordings of the other festivals, allowing me to know the songs; but, still be surprised by the visuals.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,455
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Here's the audio album:

    http://www.mediafire.com/download/x8...C_CA_(AAC).zip

    125 Kbps AAC is the original broadcast format. Video is coming soon.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    802
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    Yeah, I can't speak to that; it's beyond my technical knowledge. BTW, I appreciated the setlist change: I loved that Piggy did not follow "March of the Pigs." Also, I Just want Something I can Never Have straight into Reptile was jarring, in a good way. Seriously, of the 18 shows I've attended, this one was really up there for me. Still digesting. Heh, it was funny how the weather was sunny, most of the day, then got dreary/drizzled once NIN took the stage. It's not unusual for S.F., but, still was cool mood-setting experience. I'm glad I managed to avoid the video (but not audio) recordings of the other festivals, allowing me to know the songs; but, still be surprised by the visuals.
    Agreed. I don't care much for Piggy anyhow, and that was probably my favorite performance of SICNH ever. Even my friend, who isn't a NIN fan, was asking me questions about it since he loved it so much. The show was so good. NIN should have done a double headlining spot at OSL. :P
    Last edited by JessicaSarahS; 08-11-2013 at 10:47 AM.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,709
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

    2013.08.09 - San Francisco, CA @ Outside Lands Music Festival

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I haven't watched the stream, but I suppose it's possible that Outside Lands had different mixes for the P.A. and the stream, respectively, and the vocal distortion in "Burn" was only applied in the former. Different/incorrect effect routing or something.
    Exactly my thoughts. I'm curious to see exactly what the difference was.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,709
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

    2013.08.09 - San Francisco, CA @ Outside Lands Music Festival

    @Ruined - I was mostly just joking around about the guy singing. Trying to get a perfect recording without any people on it when packed in with several thousand of them is futile.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Is there a full setlist out? Did "Disappointed" debut?

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    534
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
    Did "Disappointed" debut?
    Disappointed had actually debuted in Korea on 7/28. You may be thinking of "Everything", which still hasn't debuted.

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,709
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

    2013.08.09 - San Francisco, CA @ Outside Lands Music Festival

    Someone posted a setlist last night. It was either here or the fapping thread. Disappointed was played. They played all 4 HM songs that were previously played.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    @Ruined - I was mostly just joking around about the guy singing. Trying to get a perfect recording without any people on it when packed in with several thousand of them is futile.
    Heh, no worries: Yeah, I can imagine recording, cleanly, in the middle of that sea of humanity would be impossible. As I posted, earlier, the worst is people who are just talking (either on their phone or in general, about random things with their friends) while NIN is playing. That's just...NO! I'm glad that was few and far between during last night's show.

  21. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,709
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

    2013.08.09 - San Francisco, CA @ Outside Lands Music Festival

    Speaking of, I didn't hear a single person shout SHIT during Hurt. Did anyone else? That was a very pleasant surprise.

  22. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    243
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
    Disappointed had actually debuted in Korea on 7/28. You may be thinking of "Everything", which still hasn't debuted.
    Er, duh, yeah, that's what I meant to say. Embarrassing I should make that mistake having posted the abandoned Lollapalooza setlist that had it listed.. :P

  23. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Salinas, CA
    Posts
    436
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Speaking of, I didn't hear a single person shout SHIT during Hurt. Did anyone else? That was a very pleasant surprise.
    Agreed; can't remember the last time that occurred during a show (especially a festival of that size). It was great!

  24. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    802
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Picture time! The smoke machine was going crazy on the sides and made it difficult to get most of the band.








    Rest of the pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessica...7635033058041/
    Last edited by JessicaSarahS; 08-12-2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: removed a pic

  25. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,709
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    @JessicaSarahS - what camera are you using for those shots?

    edit: flickr says Nikon Coolpix P100

  26. #86
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    802
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    @JessicaSarahS - what camera are you using for those shots?

    edit: flickr says Nikon Coolpix P100
    Yep, that's the one! I <3 my little camera buddy...except it's not so little. :\

  27. #87
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,455
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    Yep, that's the one! I <3 my little camera buddy...except it's not so little. :\
    Do you ever have a problem getting a camera of that size through security?

  28. #88
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    802
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Do you ever have a problem getting a camera of that size through security?
    Yeah, quite frequently. I'm always prepared to prove that it isn't pro/DSLR. If it's a GA show and I want rail, I get it approved by the house management prior to the doors opening and have them speak to whomever is searching my bag to inform them it's allowed. I've been delayed by a long questioning once, but I won't let it happen again. I've never had trouble at Staples Center and most large festivals though.

  29. #89
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    802
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    If you guys are looking to purchase a camera for shows, I do get similar results with smaller cameras too. These are taken with a Nikon S6300: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessica...th/8429757347/

    And these are with a Nikon S9100: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessica...7629612224300/


    Just have to play around and practice with your configurations to see what works best for the show's lighting. Also, the Nikon S9100 has better video and audio quality than my P100.
    Last edited by JessicaSarahS; 08-13-2013 at 05:20 AM.

  30. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jessica, your pictures are great! Thank you for sharing. I had VIP for Outside Lands and got to the corner of the rail at 1:00 and remained there throughout Saturday. My one semi-complaint is VIP puts you on the right side of the stage and you are farther away then GA but pay more money? It was great being by Robin, but all the shots I have are profile no head on shots. The other issue was the person filming the whole festival was right in front of me the whole time, so I could only see Trent from chest up for most of it. I think he moved right before HLAH... I was thrilled to see your pics and show was beyond amazing!!
    Tracy

Posting Permissions