Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Marathon

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    wtf just heard about this. scary shit.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Decent people react emotionally to terrible events, it's natural and normal. The opposite is to coldly analyze everything in the attempt to condescend those that don't (see: the gun thread).

To what Space Suicide said, no fucking kidding. It's getting to the point where nothing's safe...I know (before it gets said) nothing ever really was, but a marathon? What's the agenda here other than just being a fuckbag? Someone that is worthy of the worst punishment I can conceive...
    aaaaand the knee-jerk emotional bullshit starts again (yes, just like the gun thread).

You know who isn't letting emotion take over logic? Every single first responder that is helping those people, every single person who will ever do anything productive to better a situation in the short or long term. Not all humans are as concerned about their personal emotions as you indicate.

I'll just sit back and wait for the claims that we are somehow more at risk now and how we need to make things safer. You go ahead and do the emotional thing.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Please, please, please, please, please, please, please keep this kind of stuff out of this thread. Please, please please, please, please, please, please.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Jesus, the guy who's missing the end of both his legs (at least it looks like this); how the hell is he still conscious?

Damn those who did this; damn them to hell.
    Shock. pure shock and adrenaline.
    The guys holding him together... just... wow.

And yea, it does look like both his legs are gone. The picture you saw was probably cropped. Here is the uncropped (NSFW) http://i.imgur.com/YqnjCB9.jpg

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Please, please, please, please, please, please, please keep this kind of stuff out of this thread. Please, please please, please, please, please, please.
    Agreed, leave the bullshit to the gun thread that almost nobody looks in anymore. Ugh, how some can't get over themselves...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Please take with a huge grain of salt, but the NY Post is reporting 12 dead: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...=SFnewyorkpost

From the same source, a suspect is being held: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...9uC2PDGIjYBalO
    Last edited by Magtig; 04-15-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    When making statements like this, it is helpful to cite your sources.
    There are several mentions of it. Some boston redditors were talking about a hospital worker who knows about a "person of interest" being held in a hospital. (don't have the link) but there is also this: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...9uC2PDGIjYBalO

edit: beaten by Magtig

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    The singed hair on everyone... I didn't realize what I was seeing until just now.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Please take with a huge grain of salt, but the NY Post is reporting 12 dead: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...=SFnewyorkpost

From the same source, a suspect is being held: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...9uC2PDGIjYBalO
    Here is a comment from the redditor posting constant updates from here regarding the NYPost's reporting on 12 dead and the suspect.

Update 48 (5:06 PM ET): For everyone posting about reporting from the NY Post, I am not using them as a source. They were getting some crucial facts wrong early on and are still reporting 12 dead, something I have not found confirmed anywhere else.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Sky News keep on showing the moment of the explosion. That guy with the legs Jesus!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    i really wish i hadn't clicked on that pic of that dude with his legs. I really hope he survives. I am so distraught right now. Too sad.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    io9.com points out a small silver lining in how we learned about this tradgedy today: through social media, from people on the ground without the sensationalization of media and good advice from actual professionals (such as the Red Cross, etc). http://io9.com/why-the-boston-marath...futu-473037383

An excerpt:
    Within seconds after a bomb detonated during the Boston Marathon this morning, pictures, video and news of the horrific event were pulsing over social networks. And they weren't exaggerations or FUD — these reports from people on the ground were the way most of us learned the truth.

On Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and other social networks this morning, we discovered that bombs went off on the Boston Marathon route, killing two and injuring dozens more. More bombs may be in the JFK libraries. Many people were asking whether the attack was caused by terrorists, but few leapt to conclusions. Most people just wanted more information before passing judgment or succumbing to rumor.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    io9.com points out a small silver lining in how we learned about this tradgedy today: through social media, from people on the ground without the sensationalization of media and good advice from actual professionals (such as the Red Cross, etc). http://io9.com/why-the-boston-marath...futu-473037383

An excerpt:
    Within seconds after a bomb detonated during the Boston Marathon this morning, pictures, video and news of the horrific event were pulsing over social networks. And they weren't exaggerations or FUD — these reports from people on the ground were the way most of us learned the truth.

On Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and other social networks this morning, we discovered that bombs went off on the Boston Marathon route, killing two and injuring dozens more. More bombs may be in the JFK libraries. Many people were asking whether the attack was caused by terrorists, but few leapt to conclusions. Most people just wanted more information before passing judgment or succumbing to rumor.
    It was good to see. Even the police scanner indicated that they proactively went to social media to alert people. It's a sign that that we are improving on how we handle emergency situations.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I saw the unedited pic of the guy with the legs. I don't normally look at things like that but seeing it made the whole bombing more "real" somehow. I don't know if what I'm trying to say make sense for anyone else.

He's just one guy, one ordinary person who happened to be at the proverbial wrong place at the wrong time. People who do attack like these don't see how it affects other persons; they justify what they are doing by some grand ideology that makes sense only for themselves. But this man who lost his legs is not some convoluted idea, he is real; he has a family and friends and his life is forever changed now. And he could have been you or me. He is you or me.

Sorry for the rant that doesn't make sense.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

Yeah, it's best to not cite the NY Post ever.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    That's crazy. Seeing people with numbers on them running away from an explosion seems extra fucked up... like some hunger games/running man shit.

However, what is really interesting is all the people running TOWARD the explosion. Many people all ignoring their personal safety and suppressing emotions so that they can help other people. We don't know who put the bombs there but I guarantee that their numbers will be trivial compared to the number of people who are running toward the explosions. There will be much more focus on the bad than the good. We shouldn't forget that there are far.. FAR more good people in the world than the bad.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Live update thread #2 on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comment...date_thread_2/

Obama giving an address now.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Yea, NYPost is horribly inaccurate:
    despite some conflicting reports, no suspect is in custody yet, but they are questioning certain individuals.
    the JFK Library fire was not related to the marathon blasts
    More than 100 are being treated for injuries.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/04/15/...#ixzz2QZU1ELnr

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Another senseless attack and yet another incident that will most likely lead to the destruction and proscription of the group that carried it out. Aren't we ready for the post-terrorism era in the west?

Patriot's day, JFK library, Boston home of the revolution...

If it turns out to be Islamists, America could lurch to the Right, if far-right militiamen, expect Obama to get some serious momentum for gun reform.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    When I heard about this, I nearly threw up. To make things worse, I was in a public speaking class in which (last week) I spoke about the event of the marathon as being one of the best events to show unity and pride and all that good stuff… I ended up leaving class shortly after my group members finished their speeches. My mom and aunt have a friend who ran Boston today, hopefully she is alright…

Boston is one of the (if not THE) greatest marathons in the world. Seeing something that tragic happen to people who do the exact thing that I love to do is just terrible.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    An 8 year old has been confirmed as one of the two dead.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    If it turns out to be Islamists, America could lurch to the Right, if far-right militiamen, expect Obama to get some serious momentum for gun reform.
    Completely agree. I'm also grateful for ETS to be so thorough with articles and sources that I might not have uncovered when it comes to these things -- I mean it.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I've turned on the news twice today and quickly turned it off in disgust both times. The rampant speculation, not to mention the idiotic technical reports by people using buzzwords they don't understand: "Sources say the bomb contained shrapnel" said one reporter as I reached for the remote...

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    ^ turn it off and let it die. Things will be incredible when nobody goes to the TV networks for this kind of stuff. Social media handled the shit out of this.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    My brother lives in Boston, and I have a number of friends out there as well. Very relieved to hear that everyone I know is safe and sound, but we still haven't gotten first hand reports of a couple of his friends. Apparently they were working near - but not at - the finish line. My gut says they're fine, but I'd love to know for sure.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I love Boston how sad, didn't realize this is the first terrorist attack of any kind since 9/11 on U.S soil...

This type of incident on innocent people happened quite regularly in London for decades with the IRA. hope they find the cold broken subhuman dreg(s) behind this.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

Speaking of social media; it was handled with near perfection if you ask me. Not once did I turn on the TV today to see what happened but instead I turned to ETS and believe it or not, Facebook.