Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Marathon

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

Reading comprehension.

I specifically pointed our that its currently a minority stance and I hope it stays that way. Please don't let me get in the way of arguing with yourself though.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

And yea, we do have a history of using these situations to increase government and advance politics. It will be nice if we manage not to this time.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Reading comprehension.

I specifically pointed our that its currently a minority stance and I hope it stays that way. Please don't let me get in the way of arguing with yourself though.
    tragedy happened? Let's talk about how we need to prevent this from resulting in "bigger government," even if it's a minority opinion that practically nobody is expressing, it's at the core of your interest in practically everything... just don't accuse others of "arguing with themselves"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    It's fucked up that people are leveraging this situation to advance politics... especially when we have no idea what actually happened.
    Oh for the love of head splitting irony! YOU are using THIS situation to advance YOUR politics, like you always do. You share company with the same shameless politicians you're decrying. For fuck sake, you hijack every goddamn headline as a means to wind your way around to your myopic libertarian idealism.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I don't even care what these people are asking for. It's fucked up that people are leveraging this situation to advance politics... especially when we have no idea what actually happened.
    It's really not that fucked up... it might smack of cynicism because it's what they do to earn a crust, but don't forget their job is to help maintain & (where necessary) improve society - an incident like this suggests there are problems within a society. Really it's the second best time to consider if any kind of legislation or initiatives can reduce the chances of this sort of thing happening (the best time being before anyone gets killed).

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Since when do we cite congressmen who have well known and public ties to the IRA as a reputable source?

"I'm leaning toward thinking this an Al Qaeda affiliate but wouldn't be surprised if it was a white supremacist." - Peter King. Al Qaeda, white supremacy- same difference.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Oh for the love of head splitting irony! YOU are using THIS situation to advance YOUR politics, like you always do. You share company with the same shameless politicians you're decrying. For fuck sake, you hijack every goddamn headline as a means to wind your way around to your myopic libertarian idealism.
    Actually, I don't think he's trying to persuade anyone -- just the opposite; he's trying to incite. He just uses the In the Headlines forum as his playground. He's fully admitted to trolling for sport.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    For the world's sake I hope the guy's name is fucking Jack Smith and that he goes to church every freaking Sunday.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Fucking....thank you.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I've got a serious question for you guys.

I'm going through some youtube videos and I'm seeing a lot of videos with the usual words like conspiracy theory, Illuminati and hearing Alex Jones regurgitating insanities.
    My question is ... what's the percentage of people who actually believe those conspiracy theories? Does it represent a significant portion of the American people? By significant, I mean, big enough that it is somewhat worrying.

I understand that it is important to ask questions and seek the truth but according to those people every act of violence or domestic terrorism is the work of the government, which would mean that the actual population consists of angels and unicorns incapable of violence.
    So are those people a really tiny minority or not?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Since when do we cite congressmen who have well known and public ties to the IRA as a reputable source?

"I'm leaning toward thinking this an Al Qaeda affiliate but wouldn't be surprised if it was a white supremacist." - Peter King. Al Qaeda, white supremacy- same difference.
    Who said anything about reputable? When trying to anticipate media rhetoric you sample whatever is being spewed out. That seems to be a skill completely lost on everyone above, you included.

It's funny... we all seem to agree that the few people listed are a minority right now. Somehow that means we need to argue about it. Agreeing with a phrase remotely attached to "limited government" would be too enraging.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I've got a serious question for you guys.

I'm going through some youtube videos and I'm seeing a lot of videos with the usual words like conspiracy theory, Illuminati and hearing Alex Jones regurgitating insanities.
    My question is ... what's the percentage of people who actually believe those conspiracy theories? Does it represent a significant portion of the American people? By significant, I mean, big enough that it is somewhat worrying.

I understand that it is important to ask questions and seek the truth but according to those people every act of violence or domestic terrorism is the work of the government, which would mean that the actual population consists of angels and unicorns incapable of violence.
    So are those people a really tiny minority or not?
    Strangely enough a nin.com user posted this a few days ago (so credit to RhettButler)

Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler
    Conspiracy Theory Poll Results

On our national poll this week we took the opportunity to poll 20 widespread and/or infamous conspiracy theories. Many of these theories are well known to the public, others perhaps to just the darker corners of the internet. Here’s what we found:

- 37% of voters believe global warming is a hoax, 51% do not. Republicans say global warming is a hoax by a 58-25 margin, Democrats disagree 11-77, and Independents are more split at 41-51. 61% of Romney voters believe global warming is a hoax

- 6% of voters believe Osama bin Laden is still alive

- 21% of voters say a UFO crashed in Roswell, NM in 1947 and the US government covered it up. More Romney voters (27%) than Obama voters (16%) believe in a UFO coverup

- 28% of voters believe secretive power elite with a globalist agenda is conspiring to eventually rule the world through an authoritarian world government, or New World Order. A plurality of Romney voters (38%) believe in the New World Order compared to 35% who don’t

- 28% of voters believe Saddam Hussein was involved in the 9/11 attacks. 36% of Romney voters believe Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11, 41% do not

- 20% of voters believe there is a link between childhood vaccines and autism, 51% do not

- 7% of voters think the moon landing was faked

- 13% of voters think Barack Obama is the anti-Christ, including 22% of Romney voters

- Voters are split 44%-45% on whether Bush intentionally misled about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. 72% of Democrats think Bush lied about WMDs, Independents agree 48-45, just 13% of Republicans think so

- 29% of voters believe aliens exist

- 14% of voters say the CIA was instrumental in creating the crack cocaine epidemic in America’s inner cities in the 1980’s

- 9% of voters think the government adds fluoride to our water supply for sinister reasons (not just dental health)

- 4% of voters say they believe “lizard people” control our societies by gaining political power

- 51% of voters say a larger conspiracy was at work in the JFK assassination, just 25% say Oswald acted alone

- 14% of voters believe in Bigfoot

- 15% of voters say the government or the media adds mind-controlling technology to TV broadcast signals (the so-called Tinfoil Hat crowd)

- 5% believe exhaust seen in the sky behind airplanes is actually chemicals sprayed by the government for sinister reasons

- 15% of voters think the medical industry and the pharmaceutical industry “invent” new diseases to make money

- Just 5% of voters believe that Paul McCartney actually died in 1966

- 11% of voters believe the US government allowed 9/11 to happen, 78% do not agree

Full results

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Thanks for the numbers.
    Some of them are quite interesting .. and disturbing at the same time.

I guess it's inevitable that a portion of the population will always contest the evidence that's being brought in front of them.
    Anything under 10%, I would consider normal. When you get 20% and above with regard to some theories, it's starting to be worrisome.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

Thanks for the numbers.
    Some of them are quite interesting .. and disturbing at the same time.

I guess it's inevitable that a portion of the population will always contest the evidence that's being brought in front of them.
    Anything under 10%, I would consider normal. When you get 20% and above with regard to some theories, it's starting to be worrisome.
    You need to keep in mind that a sizable portion corresponds to who the president is. Right now the majority of the conspiracy nuts are right wing. They were happy with how things were during the Bush years. During the Bush years it was a large chunk of left wing. Draw your own conclusions there.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

Who said anything about reputable? When trying to anticipate media rhetoric you sample whatever is being spewed out. That seems to be a skill completely lost on everyone above, you included.

It's funny... we all seem to agree that the few people listed are a minority right now. Somehow that means we need to argue about it. Agreeing with a phrase remotely attached to "limited government" would be too enraging.
    You're such a condescending prick.

Thanks, Neo!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    You need to keep in mind that a sizable portion corresponds to who the president is. Right now the majority of the conspiracy nuts are right wing. They were happy with how things were during the Bush years. During the Bush years it was a large chunk of left wing. Draw your own conclusions there.
    I don't think it would influence most of those numbers.

The people who believe in Bigfoot will most likely remain the same whether it's a Democrat or Republican President.
    Same things goes for Aliens/UFO, Chemtrails, Moon landing, Paul McCartney, Tinfoil hat etc...

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Actually, I don't think he's trying to persuade anyone -- just the opposite; he's trying to incite. He just uses the In the Headlines forum as his playground. He's fully admitted to trolling for sport.
    I prefer: playing devils advocate in an echo chamber.

My statement about media rhetoric was nothing but an observation that was surprisingly pleasant though.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

I don't think it would influence most of those numbers.

The people who believe in Bigfoot will most likely remain the same whether it's a Democrat or Republican President.
    Same things goes for Aliens/UFO, Chemtrails, Moon landing, Paul McCartney, Tinfoil hat etc...
    Very true. The nonpolitical ones are very indicative of the true nuts. I want to give some credit to the UFO question though. It *was* a UFO. I am a heavy skeptic and would have agreed. They should have said UFO of alien origin or something.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    mikeyliz

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Why does this thread have to be about anything other than the subject at hand?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I prefer: playing devils advocate in an echo chamber.
    Dude, on a forum that still = troll. Really. Trust me. I've been online since the Pleistocene epoch.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Why does this thread have to be about anything other than the subject at hand?
    Because DigitalChaos. Seriously. This is what he does in every thread, and every thread turns into what this is turning into. Can we get some flood control or something?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Alright, let's bring this back on track.

How much clues can one obtain from a pressure cooker lid?
    Breaking news:

"Investigators believe they have identified a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, a source who has been briefed on the investigation told CNN's John King exclusively. The breakthrough came from analysis of video from a department store near the site of the second explosion. Video from a Boston television station also contributed to the progress, said the source, who declined to be more specific but called it a significant development."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/us/bos...html?hpt=hp_t1

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

Wow I hope this pans out!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Alright, let's bring this back on track.

How much clues can one obtain from a pressure cooker lid?
    Breaking news:

"Investigators believe they have identified a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, a source who has been briefed on the investigation told CNN's John King exclusively. The breakthrough came from analysis of video from a department store near the site of the second explosion. Video from a Boston television station also contributed to the progress, said the source, who declined to be more specific but called it a significant development."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/us/bos...html?hpt=hp_t1
    It's crazy how much damage can come from something only 6 liters in size that his "home made"

It's interesting to see all the leads but it seems like they are grasping at anything right now. The ricin stuff (tests that commonly have false positives), the pictures of people "fleeing the scene", etc. It's very early stage discovery.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Yes, every news outlet now reporting the arrest.
    Not yet identified but should appear in Court later today so it's just a matter of time before we finally know the identity, race, religion, motives and penis size of the culprit.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 04-17-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Nobody said it was a man!

Spoiler: is he circumcised? we need a debate about circumcision.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 04-17-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    My question is ... what's the percentage of people who actually believe those conspiracy theories?
    It's a small but very vocal group. Every time something awful happens, they show up to imply that it's some part of a grand conspiracy. For the most part, there's no point in engaging them in a debate.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I'm gonna go slightly off topic again but by curiosity, when is the last time a woman was arrested for either mass shooting, serial killer, terrorist act? Aileen Wuornos in 1974?