Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: On The Wing - Conceptual music video

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lightbulb On The Wing - Conceptual music video

I've been working quite a bit on another video to yet another HTDA track. Since you guys were so awesome last time, I'm yet again giving you the highly prestigious honor of having the first publishing of.. the thing.. the video?

Jumping straight through the nonsense, this is a conceptual music video for 'On The Wing.' From a production standpoint, it basically means I'm just lazier and didn't mold a project for the entire song. With the idea of running this project as a vignette of a song, it would keep investments leaner, footage orchestration less complex, and I could create stuff for multiple tracks! I'm not fond of milking a familiar process just because I know how to work in it, so this project started as one thing, and then I threw wayyy too much money at infrared scanners [Xbox Kinect], lens rentals, mounts, and now I'm broke..!

Michigan [where I currently live] is mostly boring; visually speaking [except for the northern/western lake coastline in the Winter, holy shit]. But shooting in Michigan is too easy, so I decided to make things complicated and fly out to Seattle.. just to shoot this partial music video concept… and at that point I knew it was gonna be a good time. Meeting up with surfer-folk [in February, mind you] and walking around the Pacific Coast offered an atmosphere that rendered me moaning in awe, like a goat [never seen the western shoreline!]. Overall, it's a result of a million experiments, and what came out at the end is something that resonates an almost uncomfortable solace in me.

Apologies for the fluffy commentating, I've yet to sleep, and I imagine my responses to any lovely feedback or criticism are only going to make even less sense from here on. I'm truly looking forward to anything you guys have to say, your responses were killer last time, cheers!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rob milus
    depressedrobot32@gmail.com
    @robot_32

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's Darkman!

Sorry, just had to get that out. Great video! I'd definitely be down with you directing an official video for the band.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It's Darkman!

Sorry, just had to get that out. Great video! I'd definitely be down with you directing an official video for the band.
    I was kind of surprised you didn't mention Rorschach instead

Thanks for the kind remark, working on anything for HTDA would be pretty incredible. I've got some other weird things cooking in the back burner, will see what comes of them as well

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    And Robot32 delivered.

I like how you combined the actual footage with the glitched one.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    This is terrific, I especially like the glitching out of parts of the body / TRON effect. Someday, maybe I'll have Inverse Phase videos this amazing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

On The Wing - Conceptual music video

Wow! Love it!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    this is still my least favorite HTDA song (i don't actively dislike any of the songs, but this one comes close for me sometimes), but this video is incredible.

i love the concept, the execution was flawless, and it's GORGEOUS. you've even made me like the song a little bit more.

your use of tilt-shift was great, too.

i really, really hope the band takes notice of your efforts and hires you to do something official, because you are really good at this.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm not sure how I managed to miss this thread... That is one gorgeous video. I love how, as in your Keep It Together vid, you perfectly capture HTDA's current visual aesthetic and bring out a vibe in the song. Seems to me that you've nailed some of the album's core themes as well, with technological paranoia, confusion and beauty. It's a tremendous moment when the visual style transitions.
    My main suggestion is that it might look good to have the tape distortions corresponding more directly with elements of the percussion. But as before, it's a stunning piece of work in my opinion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This is absolutely fantastic, you strike again! You should really see about getting a job out of this, dude. Getting the funding to make more of these videos would be brilliant, would love to see more. "And The Sky Began To Scream" would be amazing..

Again, great work. Keep me posted on any future videos you do, I love them so far!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    HUGE thanks everyone, I had a lot of doubts if anyone would really care about a project that covers only a portion of a song. It's great to see such a positive flux of feedback and comments, I'll try to reply to as much as I can.

@InversePhase : I smell a possible collaboration in the future ;D

@eversonpoe : On The Wing isn't the most energetic song.. but it's kind of got this eerie-haunting electrical backdrop which grew on me; that was one of the reasons I ended up deciding upon making a project for it. It would be awesome if the band had the time to check this stuff out at some point!

@Vertigo : Lots of kind remarks, can't thank you enough! The contrast between the indoor technological environment really felt supportive towards the transition to the beach transition [and went through countless revisions to try and hit something that felt more natural and "seamless"]. To respond to your suggestion, timing visual accents to the percussion did happen in many places, but obviously not as much as I could have. It was more of a subconscious editing decision I think. Pushing accents, cuts, and transitions out of being so quantized with the rhythm; instead being slightly off, and kind of unpredictable and slightly disorienting. I can't say that editing was perfect, but in a way I felt it was more natural to have things land slightly off-beat. Cheers

@JamesCmuse : I might have a new, small experiment thing in the works - so I'll definitely keep you posted

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Goddamn it that was good. You manage to nail the mood of the songs while keeping the visual 'style' laid out by Rob.
    Keep them coming. I like I said last time, although it's rare (or maybe has never happened), I really hope someone from HTDA sees this and sends some traffic to both of the vids via a tweet or something.

Well done!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Can't believe it took me so long to get around to watching this. Man, you've got some talent. The effects looked brilliant, and the beach shots were beautiful. Can't wait to see your next video, dude!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    he reminded me of sub zero at the beginning.

great work dude, you mastered the glitchy-ness. i loved the other video you made and cant wait to see more. take any requests? id love to see your take on strings and attractors

it kinda threw me off that you edited the track down cause its one of my favorites, but i totally worked. i was gonna bitch about it at first, but after a second watch it makes it work!

youre very talented!