Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: Work

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Update: I got it! I got the salary increase! Omg, I started tearin' up in his office. lol i'm such a goof
    Last edited by ickyvicky; 08-05-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Had a banger August for my work, but I'm starting to feel run down again as the weekend approaches. I have 3-4 major projects due 9/7, which means I have to have everything done Thursday night. I have to board a 6am flight on Friday, and I. Am. Fried.

Nevermind the sorcery I'll have to conjure to get my ass to an airport at 5am. Thankfully I have trusted traveler status and can sail through security.

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    some news: the position closed last Friday and I had the exact same experience as last time where the questions that were asked as part of the automated selection process (basically the computer says "a score <X is automatic DQ") and then HR has to compare your responses to your resume to see if your answers bear out. Due to this I was slightly miffed that I wasn't going to get the job again. I mean, the universe is telling you something after a certain point in time, yeah? Had a work meeting* that afternoon with both of my supervisors and we talked about it. They both said that if I didn't get the job then it was on them** to figure out how to translate what they want from the position to HR so that my experience that they want for the position is reflected in the announcement.

Monday afternoon I checked my email after being heavily hinted at by my upper boss and it said "You have been referred for the position". So Tuesday they went in and took care of the selection and HR called me late Wednesday*** to make a tentative offer and then sent me an email to accept because it's (almost) all automated now. "It's going to take me longer to explain the next steps than it will for you to complete them" she said and wasn't wrong. I have the next two weeks to be excited and terrified about this change before it actually takes affect. Something about they couldn't get it done in the remaining days of this pay period so it will have to be the one after.

So I'm excited and terrified, yeah. Going to have to learn a lot more because as my new direct supervisor says "if you're making that much money I shouldn't have to tell you what to do or track it, you should just do it and show me." I mean I'm already doing that but he's an indirect boss at this time so he indirectly asks me to do things.

* it's actually at the local Shari's where we spend two hours talking shop and shit over pie. with the pandemic and no one in the office but me it's been a huge morale booster for everyone to be in the same space instead of over a computer screen.

** it was very refreshing to hear both of them sincerely tell me that they would go to those lengths to find out what was wrong. I work for a great set of people and I hope that doesn't change soon. (Spoiler: I have inside knowledge that it will but I'm hoping not that soon.)

***The one who was supposed to approve the paperwork didn't hit all 12 of the selection buttons so HR said "you need to hit #08 for us to be able to call him and make the offer". When he told me that I told him that I had to answer every single phone call that day because HR is all over the country so I can't even think "oh that's definitely spam". So I got to tell a lot of people that their mother is very disappointed in their choice of career.

EDIT: got the final firm offer today so it's official and I start on Monday. whew flop sweat.
    Last edited by allegate; 10-06-2021 at 03:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    some news: the position closed last Friday and I had the exact same experience as last time where the questions that were asked as part of the automated selection process (basically the computer says "a score <X is automatic DQ") and then HR has to compare your responses to your resume to see if your answers bear out. Due to this I was slightly miffed that I wasn't going to get the job again. I mean, the universe is telling you something after a certain point in time, yeah? Had a work meeting* that afternoon with both of my supervisors and we talked about it. They both said that if I didn't get the job then it was on them** to figure out how to translate what they want from the position to HR so that my experience that they want for the position is reflected in the announcement. They told me that I will work with video editing using different tools like this one.

Monday afternoon I checked my email after being heavily hinted at by my upper boss and it said "You have been referred for the position". So Tuesday they went in and took care of the selection and HR called me late Wednesday*** to make a tentative offer and then sent me an email to accept because it's (almost) all automated now. "It's going to take me longer to explain the next steps than it will for you to complete them" she said and wasn't wrong. I have the next two weeks to be excited and terrified about this change before it actually takes affect. Something about they couldn't get it done in the remaining days of this pay period so it will have to be the one after.

So I'm excited and terrified, yeah. Going to have to learn a lot more because as my new direct supervisor says "if you're making that much money I shouldn't have to tell you what to do or track it, you should just do it and show me." I mean I'm already doing that but he's an indirect boss at this time so he indirectly asks me to do things.

* it's actually at the local Shari's where we spend two hours talking shop and shit over pie. with the pandemic and no one in the office but me it's been a huge morale booster for everyone to be in the same space instead of over a computer screen.

** it was very refreshing to hear both of them sincerely tell me that they would go to those lengths to find out what was wrong. I work for a great set of people and I hope that doesn't change soon. (Spoiler: I have inside knowledge that it will but I'm hoping not that soon.)

***The one who was supposed to approve the paperwork didn't hit all 12 of the selection buttons so HR said "you need to hit #08 for us to be able to call him and make the offer". When he told me that I told him that I had to answer every single phone call that day because HR is all over the country so I can't even think "oh that's definitely spam". So I got to tell a lot of people that their mother is very disappointed in their choice of career.

EDIT: got the final firm offer today so it's official and I start on Monday. whew flop sweat.
    My congrats hope this will be your final work destination for a really long long time

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    That is great news!! Stoked for you.

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Thanks. It's really just the same ol' with better pay for now. The meeting to divest myself of duties is later in the week but I know the supervisors (or at least the one supervisor) and that I'll be helping with this stuff for awhile. Which isn't meant to sound like a dig, I've just worked with them long enough to know certain quirks.

The weird thing is that now I'm 'higher' in the chain I can maybe actually effect some change on some things. I went over some brief ideas with my new boss and he's really excited about the potential. I just need to pace myself so I don't knock it all out of the park and then in year 2...crickets.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yah, don't throw all your ideas in one go. But better pay is always good!

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    I told him as much in the call we just had and he agreed, said he'd rather one project get done well than several projects vying for attention.

Also I found out today that I have a Yellow Belt project due shortly - very long story there since the class was three years ago! - so I guess I know what I'm working on for it. I honestly thought they had cancelled the whole thing due to lack of communication but oh well.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    How I'm currently feeling about work.

The backstory is that I do "technical sales" for a particular trade in construction. With steel and fiberglass pricing bouncing and completely unstable, not to mention supply chains are shit right now, it makes my work.....a lot more difficult. Exhibit A) We use primarily one manufacturer, and have two vendors for this company. We're instructed to price projects with x,y and z escalators with the idea that our pricing will be held. And the manufacturer has reneged on that, to the tune of us losing HALF of our profit. So a lot of our time is now spent sourcing other manufacturers, then jumping through the hoops to get the architect to approve it, etc.

Then today was a fun moment. I bid project X and stipulated that our pricing expires 9/30/21. We receive the contract on 10/5, and I have to submit revised pricing to the general contractor. The GC owner comes back, and pleads for help. I shave a little off and resubmit. I then get a call from the GC Project Manager, who is ticked that he has to re-issue his contract instead of issuing a change order. And he's being nasty about it. I was about | | this close from telling him to go fuck himself, and my pricing on 10/5 stands.

Instead, I'm going to call the owner tomorrow and tell him to have their PMs be nicer - I could have told him to fuck off and find another subcontractor willing to do the work. And that was just 15 minutes of my day.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    starting an IT helpdesk position on monday the 1st! it's salaried! it's work from home! hopefully i never have to go back to the foodservice industry!

Mentioned
    925 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    starting an IT helpdesk position on monday the 1st! it's salaried! it's work from home! hopefully i never have to go back to the foodservice industry!
    Mae, that is AWESOME news! Congratulations!

Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    yeah congrats on that, that's going to be huge for you.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Ugh, customer service sucks! A parent just ripped my head off because one of teacher's fucked up. Is it 5pm yet?

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Yesterday just got worse and worse as the day progressed - total day from hell. First parents yelling at me on the phone, then they drop their children off for class - the dad continues to yell at me in front of the children. I had to tell the dad to get out of the classroom because his behavior was innapropriate. Dad finally leaves, then the kid starts acting out all psycho. Broke two plastic forks stabbing them down on the table Michael Myers-style and screaming "THIS IS SO SATISFYING!" Class is finally over. Later on get an email from another student that the kids were supposed to be quarantining because one of them sat next to another kid who had Covid.

FUCK THIS FAMILY!