Thread: Work

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok so i need a little help. 3 months ago a good friend and close family friend(officiated over my sisters wedding and played a vital part in mine) was able to offer me a great job with the local paper(an ew scripps division) as an apprentice pressman. pay is a amazing and the benefits are great as well as it got me away from the hell of a job i had for the past year and a half. this was also going to be a career and not just another job like ive been going through for 16 years of employment. the downside has been that it is third shift and will ALWAYS be third shift since that is the only way to get the paper done by 2 am each day. well, its killing me and im not getting to see my wife since she works days, there is also the matter of our first child coming in 6 weeks and do i want to miss most of the day while she is awake sleeping?
    a good friend has offered me a chance at another job which would be monday through friday and 3$(cant imagine!!) more an hour plus it could possibly be a career as well.
    the problem being that they spent the past 3 months training me and only today am i officially on the schedule(being a union job i had to wait three months) and if i leave they go back to trying to find someone else and the 8 guys that work there go back to crazy overtime hours since a trainee is not officially on the schedule and cant be counted each night. i just dont know if i could go to my friend and tell him im leaving or should i be able to? should i just tough it out and hope that third shift eventually works for me or get out while i can before its too late?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninedead View Post
    ok so i need a little help. 3 months ago a good friend and close family friend(officiated over my sisters wedding and played a vital part in mine) was able to offer me a great job with the local paper(an ew scripps division) as an apprentice pressman. pay is a amazing and the benefits are great as well as it got me away from the hell of a job i had for the past year and a half. this was also going to be a career and not just another job like ive been going through for 16 years of employment. the downside has been that it is third shift and will ALWAYS be third shift since that is the only way to get the paper done by 2 am each day. well, its killing me and im not getting to see my wife since she works days, there is also the matter of our first child coming in 6 weeks and do i want to miss most of the day while she is awake sleeping?
    a good friend has offered me a chance at another job which would be monday through friday and 3$(cant imagine!!) more an hour plus it could possibly be a career as well.
    the problem being that they spent the past 3 months training me and only today am i officially on the schedule(being a union job i had to wait three months) and if i leave they go back to trying to find someone else and the 8 guys that work there go back to crazy overtime hours since a trainee is not officially on the schedule and cant be counted each night. i just dont know if i could go to my friend and tell him im leaving or should i be able to? should i just tough it out and hope that third shift eventually works for me or get out while i can before its too late?
    Is the other job a good one? You mention a possible career but is it a good position? Life is short. I know you might have loyalties with where you are now but spend as much time with your wife and child as possible, that's the most important thing. You won't remember much of the rest on yer death bed. Its not a great situation to be in but it sounds like further down the line (unless you can change shift) that you'll end up leaving anyway.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninedead View Post
    When it comes to your career, you are the only one that matters. You can't stay at a job just so you don't upset other folks. Here's the thing, the union and the company put you on a 3 month trial that frankly should be a two way street. They can cut you after that period and you know what, you can cut them.

I say take the other position so you can be there for your family. It's true, on your death bed, no one cares where you worked.