Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Work

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I DIIIIDDDDDD. Thanks. <3 <3 <3

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    ahh, the situation is more confusing than ever. my new new job just asked me to stay an ADDITIONAL two weeks after my official resignation so they can properly staff things here, but a week later and i'm still more certain than ever that i can't be here. so while i want to be nice and not rock the boat (and if i am out of work for good, the extra two weeks of income would be nice), it's not worth weathering all the chaos and disorganization here. i just can't...

meanwhile, i went on an interview for my old company yesterday, and it seemed like a shoe in, fingers crossed. i won't be able to get my old job back (they already filled my position), but i may be able to work at a different location under similar circumstances. just waiting on the phone call if it's a go... if the pay is the same as when i left, and if the hours are as good, i'm going to take it. if not, i'm still driving off the cliff and hoping for the best.
    Why would you go back to your old company? The job market is picking up, wouldn't going elsewhere be more of a career build?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Why would you go back to your old company? The job market is picking up, wouldn't going elsewhere be more of a career build?
    a moment of weakness. it didn't pan out anyway, spent the weekend freaking out about it, but realized it's a good thing in the end. i'm currently in talks with a recruiter, and i've also spent the weekend applying to my dream job, so i'm going full throttle into the unknown. it may be scary for a while, but in the end, it will certainly be for the best.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    i'm currently in talks with a recruiter, and i've also spent the weekend applying to my dream job, so i'm going full throttle into the unknown. it may be scary for a while, but in the end, it will certainly be for the best.
    I'm in the same spot. I've gotten a lot of support and advice from a career coaching co. Hit me up if you need any thing or feel gapped. I might have a resource that could help. Good luck and happy landing.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    So busy today.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Feel like I'm in between a rock and a hard place re: work at the moment. I got temporarily "promoted" (for want of a better word) last year. It was originally to fill in for another staff member for two weeks, but there have been several extensions and here I am still in the role 13 months later. Problem is, there's no scope for any further extensions to my current role and I'm going back to my previous position next week. I've really enjoyed the past 13 months and have made good friends on the team. While I've had a lot more responsibility, my stress levels have been MUCH lower and work has felt so much more rewarding. The thought of going back to where I was before feels repulsive to me now. More stress for less money. I feel disappointed that permanency isn't on the table. And I feel guilty for feeling disappointed (after all, it was always a temporary thing and I'm lucky that it's gone on this long). Without wanting to sound 'entitled', I've come to value my time a lot more over the past year, which has been underscored by the arrival of my second child. Every hour I spend at work is an hour I'm not spending with my family, and I want to feel like I'm being adequately compensated for this 'opportunity cost'.

I've been looking for other jobs, but most of the vacancies in my city (moving elsewhere is not an option at this stage) either require qualifications/experience I don't have or would be a major step backwards.

So my options are:
    (a) Stick around where I am and hope something better comes up in the near future
    or
    (b) Try to get further qualifications whilst juggling work and family

I'm leaning towards (b), but I'm not sure how I'll go with full-time work + full-time study being as prone to stress/anxiety as I am. I figure I can reduce the study load if it gets too much, but I'm hoping to move on to better things as quickly as possible.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to vent a bit.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    The school that I work at was given the Distinguished School award. It's a top honor in California for schools and what it means is that we have made significant strides to close in on the achievement gap.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Do you like your job? I do.
    Well, when I asked that question it was late November of 2011. I joined the company on August 22, 2011.

I had my annual performance review yesterday (I'll have been here three years this coming August), and my boss said she has given my base rate a pay rise - higher than anyone else - although it still needs to be approved by the company who owns us, as well as giving me a bonus on top. I also earn commission.

Three years later, yes, I do like my job.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I got punched in the face, slapped, hit, kicked, spit upon and scratched within the first hour of work. Happy Monday to me!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Jebus! That is horrible!

What do you do for work?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I work as an assistant for a special education classroom of 4th/5th graders with moderate to severe disabilities. After almost 9 years of doing it, I'm done with it. Once I graduate from university next month, I'm gonna look for another job.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    9 years is a long time to be doing such a stressful job.. And hooray for graduating, that's exciting!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I've only managed 1 year with kids from a small public elementary. I'm not cut out for this!! I was hoping I'd survive two years but my co worker situation is getting to me too. No bueno all around.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    My co-workers are mostly teenagers who know each other. Seeing the games they play is funny at times, especially between these two love birds. THEN OTHER TIMES, I'm not so amused like seeing "*Boss name* Der Fuhrer" on the phone (She was calling his phone). The display is 10 inches big or something (not really, but you know what I mean) so I wasn't snooping. I laughed because I understand their side of the situation because our boss is more used to speaking to pre-school and not 18 year old boys. She comes off as "bossy". I also understand her side, she does have a habit of talking a bit blunt and "demanding" with her requests because she was a preschool teacher. She's also really stressed out and the boys don't see that. They don't even see that THEY'RE stressed too.
    Anyways, I should have told Cody that he should change Der Fuhrer because that's really unprofessional. The reason I didn't say anything was because I know he's intelligent enough to grow out of that...I hope anyways. The only reason I know that is because when I mentioned Der Fuhrer called, with a chuckle, he TOTALLY LOOKED GUILTY. It was hilarious!

God, I do need a social life. I shouldn't be analyzing these people this closely.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Went to a staff meeting today and saw the new database interface system. It seemed fairly normal and then I realized it's going to replace me in the near future. Who needs a middle man when y'all can do it. Yikes!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Oh no, that's too bad! Think of it this way, it might give you a chance to find something that's a bit of a level up, something you need the human touch for.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    [redacted]
    Last edited by playwithfire; 11-13-2022 at 12:50 AM.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Why is it only for a year?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Sometimes I think that the SAP SDK is just one, big f**king joke.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    [redacted]
    Last edited by playwithfire; 11-13-2022 at 12:50 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I've got an interview with Google today to install Google Fiber in people's homes, and I'm REALLY REALLY hoping it happens. I've GOT to get out of the shitty drama fueled shit show that is the movie theater I currently work at.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Blaaaaargh, week's worth of night shifts starting tonight.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Technician doesn't bother with problem analysis so hands it over to us the engineers to wade through. I spend half an hour answering something they could have figured out only to find the handover retracted because they then figured it out on their own time without letting me know. I want my 30 minutes back.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I always thought some mindless office job would be awesome.

It isn't!

I basically sit here and dick around on the internet for 10 hours a day. He keeps promising that he's going to train me to do other shit, and he never does, because he is never here.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    Technician doesn't bother with problem analysis so hands it over to us the engineers to wade through. I spend half an hour answering something they could have figured out only to find the handover retracted because they then figured it out on their own time without letting me know. I want my 30 minutes back.
    Write or review better documentation and they won't bother you. I keed I keed. Some techs just aren't motivated to solve problems, just screw turners. Others make it their mission to figure it.

I am now officially on my job search. No more of this semi retirement, goofing off. Oh but it's been sooo good.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah K View Post
    I always thought some mindless office job would be awesome.

It isn't!

I basically sit here and dick around on the internet for 10 hours a day. He keeps promising that he's going to train me to do other shit, and he never does, because he is never here.
    Start training yourself, even if it's not for that job. There's tons of free shit on the Web you can learn. You could start with codeacademy

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    one more week of this BUUUULLLLSHIIIIIIT!!! Then I'm FREE! FREE LIKE A BIRD MADE TO FOLLOW IT'S GENETIC CODE TO MIGRATE SOUTH WHEN IT GETS COLD! My doctor today told me my blood tests for lupus or any other auto immune or allergy came up clear and she asked me, "What do you think it is?" and my answer was "Stress" and we talked about my job and she said that now I've learned what some people never do in 20 years at a job! I see several people around me at work suffering from recurring health issues due to shitty immune systems. It's a hell hole at that school and I'm just so grateful I can turn around and leave, unlike some of those people... Maybe people told me I'm "great with the kids" and a "future teacher". I just put on a good show because I can't deal with being a teacher, no way. Even when I had a class of 7th-8th graders who were perfectly well behaved I couldn't handle it, all their eyes on me, waiting for every instruction to be perfect. Ugh... Now on to my dream of becoming Ranger Laisa!

For those who want online courses, I found this yesterday: www.openculture.com It links to free courses from all different universities and colleges.
    Last edited by halloween; 06-11-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'm sorry but what is the point of introducing a new employee to everyone if you intend to skip me and oh I don't know the rest of my department.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    We had a thing going on where you had to sketch someone from the company.

I got first prize, a $100 gift voucher. Woo! Nice way to end the week.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Bitch at work is off for the day so I actually get to a) do my actual job b) maintain normal blood pressure c) have a pretty fun time with my colleagues and boss.