Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: Work

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Well this is interesting... I decided to write something here, and found out I can restore some edited content, and it was this:

"Fuck this shit. Customer complained about something in project I wasn't working on, so I had to analyze what my coworkers haven't done properly enough (maybe because this part really sucks and we don't do that much anymore), tedious task, done. Now they say it's not good, but I'm sure it is, but the worst thing is working with manager who has no fucking idea what this is about, and in trying to please fucking customer, manager abuses my department. Like, whatever it takes, no matter how stupid, our employes are not worth a shit and can be treated as shit with no fucking reason at all because this all is stupid but they are not capable to understand. Fuck I'm done here."

So I decided to not post this some time ago, why? ;-) I have an offer from old coworker, for better money, and after 4 years I am getting a bit tired and frustrated, as can be seen above... but to make the decision... sometimes I am sure I can not do this anymore, or how long am I expected to keep at this, and sometimes all is done and I think maybe it's not that bad... and sometimes I am thinking about leaving not just work but also country and everything, sell what I have and go to enjoy the rest of my life somewhere... near ocean? Being alone and tired sucks.

Edit: Just ordered the 2020 Gary Numan album, and I automatically changed the default delivery work address to my home address - so maybe I am really thinking about changing jobs? But leaving the country is just an escape dream? :-) Tell me more, subconsciousness!

Edit 2: But seriously, I find it kinda sad when company prefers pleasing client to respect its own people and just saying "no" to client. I don't want to be treated like this anymore.
    Last edited by Substance242; 03-24-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    A crazy mother just went off on me at 9am this morning. Holy shit. Here's to the rest of the day....

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Well I interviewed for a job today at a grill in a local hotel in the Radisson corp. entity here in town. Talked with the chef and accepted. More money guaranteed(hate this word) hours most likely 4-10's so ill have 3 days off, possibility of sous which from the sounds of things I could easily get. Benies, discounts on hotel things etc. Menu is pretty basic but still good. Some things I haven't done and things I like doing, yeah Pizzas. Guy is a bit younger than me but seems to have a good outlook on how things should be similar years in the game. Now I have to break the news to my current job right before the busy season kicks off. If you've read my rants you know it's been a long time coming. Still as I like the people where I am, it must be done. All my partially petty bitching aside I feel a lot better. I know exactly how green the grass is in this business. I'm going to offer up to help when possible because I understand how things are. That said, I gave up more than I otherwise would have to stay as long as I have. It's time.

Also I have a standing offer for a chef's position out of town from an old coworker, decent salary, benies etc as well the ability that I can take it when I am able to make the move.

Years ago before I started in this business I vowed never to become job dependant. Now in some ways cooking is all I've done but I've managed to maintain some freedom in that regard by taking what I do seriously, which the right people recognize.

Today was a good day.
    Last edited by Pillfred; 03-29-2019 at 11:50 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Well I interviewed for a job today a grill in a local hotel in the Radisson corp. entity here in town. Talked with the chef and accepted. More money guaranteed(hate this word) hours most likely 4-10's so ill have 3 days off, possibility of sous which from the sounds of things I could easily get. Benies, discounts on hotel things etc. Menu is pretty basic but still good. Some things I haven't done and things I like doing, yeah Pizzas. Guy is a bit younger than me but seems to have a good outlook on how things should be similar years in the game. Now I have to break the news to my current job right before the busy season kicks off. If you've red my rants you know it's been a long time coming. Still as I like the people where I am, it must be done. All my partially petty bitching aside I feel a lot better. I know exactly how green the grass is in this business. I'm going to offer up to help when possible because I understand how things are. That said, I gave up more than I otherwise would have to stay as long as I have. It's time.

Also I have a standing offer for a chef's position out of town from an old coworker, decent salary,benies etc as well that I cam take when I am able to make the move.

Years ago before I started in this business I vowed never to become job dependant. Now in some ways cooking is all I've dine but I've managed to maintain some freedom in that regard by taking what I do seriously, which the right people recognize.

Today was a good day.
    Congrats! Glad it worked out for you! Be sure to keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    In the Waiting Room area in the Main Office, there's a small table next to the couches that has some coloring sheets and crayons for kids to color with while they wait for their classes with their parents. When I have down time, I'll print out some different coloring sheets with different characters each week like Pokemon, or Hello Kitty, Batman, etc. Or if there is a holiday coming up, I'll print out sheets related to that. The kids and parents enjoy it.

Yesterday I was absent from work, and my co-worker notified me that our boss said to her that she no longer wants us to "mass media" coloring sheets. She'd rather have this printed out because she thinks it looks "nicer":

I just want to be like, really??? This is YOUR WORRY as a boss?? What the coloring pages look like??? *smh* *facepalm*

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    at some point next month, we're having an "open house" for our vendors & clients (for some reason). we're doing various things to upgrade the office a bit and make it look nicer, which is great because we don't have a lot of projects out in the field that can be worked on at the moment.

so, yesterday at the office, i started working on a new equipment rack in our conference room. some of the items are getting replaced, some are just moving from the old rack to the new rack. i worked on it from about 9:30 (when i got back to the office after picking up the new rack) until 4:15. the problem is that i couldn't take the network down while there were people working in the office, so for some reason, i volunteered to come in at 5:30am today (we are normally expected to be at the office between 7:00 and 7:30) so i could disconnect the network (and phones) and move all the associated pieces into the new rack before anyone else got there.

i was successful (started at 5:35, finished at 7:15), and managed to get a bunch more done today before i left at 2:10 (giving me 8 hours and 35 minutes for the day), so i'm very pleased. however, i was hoping to be able to finish everything tomorrow, and i probably won't be able to, because i have to run new wires to all four security camera locations & replace the cameras.

i am exhausted and i just want to finish this so i can feel good about accomplishing it. hopefully they'll let give me time on monday to wrap it up, and hopefully i don't dream about it all weekend (like i did last night).

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Got the, i meant to say, talk yesterday... from one owner, my immediate boss gave me 3 mins then bailed. Well, apparently not so much. I've seen teh cool owner/chef two times now. He has to know ... didn't say shit. Speaks volumes, in a good way. I respect one of these people.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    So today, my work participated in our local Pride festivities. I got to throw stuff at people from a moving vehicle & wave a rainbow flag around. It was great.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    My office has been trying to create a full-time job for me since I graduated last year, and it seems like it is getting closer to happening. We proposed an office restructuring in January and were told to try again in March because those proposals could only happen twice a year now (which they never told anyone, lol). Our direct Dean has approved it. Now it has to go through one more Dean, then the actual Dean, then the central office, etc, etc, etc. But I am more optimistic about it than I have been in the past.

They were also proposing an in-between 30 hour a week job instead of my current 20 hours until a full-time position is created, that is nearly double my hourly rate right now, so that would triple my income. But our direct Dean wants to bypass that and put the creation of the full-time job on the "fast track" (which, in the NY bureaucracy, will probably be the beginning of the fall semester (seriously)).

I am hoping with everything that it goes through. It would be my first salaried position EVER, would pay an actual living wage, has a great pension, awesome insurance, free tuition so I would save about 20k in student loans... It would just help in so many areas, and it would make it feel like coming back to school was worth it. I know coming back will pay off after I finish grad school, but it hasn't done much for me yet.

And even if it doesn't go through, it continually makes me really happy to work in an office that is this supportive of me and acknowledges my work and potential to take on much more. It sounds like a cliche, but it really does feel like we are a little family. Nearly everyone here came to my graduation party, met my entire family who came from Nebraska, let me make my own schedule, etc. I love this place, and I really hope that I can join them on a full-time basis.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Really frustrating how we don't have a HR department or someone we can report to, other than our Executive Director, about other employees. Everyone has complained about this one co-worker multiple times to our Executive Director, and all she says is, "She's not going to change." Then why don't you fire her then??!! For some reason she just doesn't want to do anything about it.

Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Really frustrating how we don't have a HR department or someone we can report to, other than our Executive Director, about other employees. Everyone has complained about this one co-worker multiple times to our Executive Director, and all she says is, "She's not going to change." Then why don't you fire her then??!! For some reason she just doesn't want to do anything about it.
    ah, like my coworker who thinks "gay people are pure evil" and that "the blood of jesus runs through [his] veins" and also thinks it's funny to threaten to bash people's heads in with his hammer while simultaneously preaching about people needing to learn respect. but he's good at running wires so i guess they can't fire him?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It feels kinda disrespectful when client, instead of asking internally in their really big big company, lets us to figure out how something THEIR works. It's like managers there are scared shitless to show some "weakness" or something... and those vendors (me) will figure it out somehow, haha, they always do, all is fine here. Not. :-)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Went in for orientation today for a new job, turned out I was a half hour late. Knew I should have went "early". I go back sunday so there's that. Still feel super silly.

Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Last week I got a verbal offer for my first salaried job ever! It will be a six month appointment to start while they conduct a search committee (it is a newly created position), but my department is the search committee, and they already know they are going to pick me. But to comply with law and policy you have to post the job for a certain amount of time, screen for diversity, interview a certain number of folks, etc. Even the notoriously difficult HR Director said that she hopes that I apply for the job when it is posted and she would love to see me be the finalist. It is one thing to come from my director, but to hear this lady say it was... strange.

They are trying to get it pushed through so that I can be placed by the 19th. I get full benefits on day one, which would mean FREE TUITION for the rest of my current degree, in addition to the at least one more I hope to get - not sure what this would be yet. My director tells me I need to be looking at doctoral programs instead of just another master's, but I hesitate because anything I'd go into would likely be quantitative-heavy, which is my biggest struggle.

A few months ago I made it to the final round for a two year government fellowship, and then didn't get picked in the end. After that, I told the career services manager that I was moving back to Nebraska to work at Walmart again, as I graduated with my BA over a year ago. So glad this is happening with a team that I absolutely adore, at a university that I truly believe in. MAYBE COMING BACK TO COLLEGE WAS WORTH IT.

Now, who understands retirement finances? I only have 30 days to pick a pension plan, and I don't understand this shit AT ALL!