Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The Festival Thread

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i love when you guys get bent out of shape about a negative opinon/review.

i was just sharing my experience to help @ManBurning make a judgement call based on his desire to be closer for NIN's set. which i would prioritize, considering my own experiences vs. how generally consistent NIN can be. i'm probably a bigger new order fan and listen to them more regularly, but given the choice, i'd definitely see NIN's live show over new order.

i did say go if they're on your bucket list. you'll have fun dancing to substance and joy division classics but you can forget it if you want to hear anything else from movement or other album tracks. they don't flat out suck but there are some flaws that are hard to ignore, especially if you're paying an arm and a leg to see them. then you add in all the band drama, etc. and it just complicates matters more. new order are a difficult band these days, as i said, and it's hard to look past all this especially when the band has never been known to be a great live act.

KC- that video was a pretty fair representation of my own experiences last year at roseland. it's not the sound mix or anything that could be misinterpreted in a video stream- he clearly missed those notes and sang poorly. that's been barney's problem since new order started, this shouldn't be news to anyone.

as for the other bands, i've discussed this at length elsewhere, but JAMC had zero energy, played with their amps turned down too low, and generally couldn't give a fuck about playing which gave the impression that they just reunited for the paycheck. no urgency/necessity there- it was lame. MBV on the other hand, were so punishingly loud that all the beauty and melody that's present in their recordings was completely overshadowed by the volume.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I had as much fun seeing New Order at Coachella then I did any other act, sans Blur. Having seeing them in 2005, they were good and even now they're still good. I even skipped seeing Phoenix and Sigur Ros to see them, and I don't regret a thing about it. I stood by the soundboard the whole time and enjoyed every minute of it. Every band has miscues, but it's not like there were a substantial amount that took me out of the show.

I saw JAMC when they did SXSW at the Belmont last year and they sounded great. It was an intimate venue and they seemed into it. They did two encores and schooled most of the young bands that whole week. They even gave us something like six songs off Psychocandy, I wasn't expecting a great show, but I was satisfied. It was also near the beginning of their US jaunt, so that may have had a lot to do with it.

As for MBV, they were probably the second loudest band I've seen (Dinosaur Jr. is first), but it wasn't to the point where I couldn't take it. The only gripe I had was the 20 minute version of "You Made Me Realise" which is ridiculous in its own right, but other than that I got what I expected had some good earplugs.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i have heard more positive reviews about JAMC's latest tour (the one you saw them on) but i was so burnt by that first experience that i haven't been willing to give them a second chance. unfortunately outside of their original riotous performances, they also have a pretty poor reputation as a live band.

i AM willing to give new order another shot though and have tickets to their williamsburg waterfront show this summer (though i'm on the fence about it). i'm not expecting anything to be different (sets so far seem identical, as well), but perhaps i'll be surprised...

despite everything i've heard and seen over the years, i expected them to better the first time around, so perhaps with dimmer expectations i can just let it go and enjoy it for what it is. i'm not holding my breath for a dramatic improvement, but well, i do love them so i'll give them another chance. but that's the takeaway here to anyone dying to see them live. high hopes, medium priority, low expectations is generally a safe way to play it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Well, you know, some of us HAVEN'T ever seen New Order and still would like to cross that off of our bucket lists regardless of if some of you weren't satisfied with the multiple performances that you saw.
    My original post wasn't directed toward YOU. It was directed toward @ManBurning , who wants to get a good spot for NIN. And if you want THAT, you have to get there in front of the NIN stage in the MORNING and suffer through everybody else, honestly.

@frankie teardrop : We saw New Order in 2005 at the Aragon and while I guess we get to say "we saw New Order" (like anybody gives a shit), seeing Gang of Four a few times that same year was MUCH MUCH better.

I thought New Order was better at the Aragon than at a festival. So if you want to give them another chance, give them another chance at a club and not a festival.

Last edited by allegro; 05-15-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Thanks for the recomendations folks. I'll definatly stick to my guns with QOTSA/NIN, I mean, NIN are the sole purpose of me even going to Chicago for Lollapalooza this year.
    I'm not a die hard New Order fan, and those videos made them seem decent in my mind. I'm just a casual New Order fan who likes a few of their songs. Just would rather see them over QOTSA if I had the chance as I saw Queens open for NIN so many times on that [With_Teeth] tour, that it would be nice to watch a new band I haven't seen for a change, but they're not exactly on a bucket list of mine.

As for standing in line all morning to stand in front of the NIN stage, nah i'll pass on that. Not gonna stand in a mosh pit for 10 hours in the blazing sun with little to no water haha, that's just suicide. I've done the rail thing for NIN plenty of times, wouldn't wanna do it at a festival, doing it in a club environment or area setting is torture enough.

As long as I am, say 20-30 rows back or so, i'm happy. Don't need to be super close, but don't wanna be too far away either. I'll make a judgement when I get to the festival on how much time will be needed to secure a decent spot.
    Ghost (BC) is playing the same stage as them, just many hours earlier in the day. They are on my list of bands I don't wanna miss, so i'll see how the crowd is over at the stage for them.

Come to think if it, I don't really need to stray away from that stage for much throughout the day. maybe just for Crystal Castles at 4:15-5:15, after that I can just head on over there to secure a spot before Queens goes on. That probably is a better plan.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 05-16-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Festival Thread

When we saw NIN at Lolla last time, we didn't head over there until Love and Rockets (on just before NIN) and we ended up right next to the sound tent, it was packed to about that point.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-16-2013 at 06:05 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Oh really? Wow... you're making me rethink my game plan now...
    I'm still banking on The Killers taking alot of the crowd away.

When you go to the lolla page and hover over the name of the artist to find out who has added it to their watch list, Killers has twice as many people than NIN does.
    12982 VS 6806. That probably gives a good idea. And last time NIN did lolla, didn't they go up against Kanye West? There's no surprise there that the NIN stage was packed, lol.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    And last time NIN did lolla, didn't they go up against Kanye West? There's no surprise there that the NIN stage was packed, lol.
    Well, but there are a LOT of people at Lolla each day (nearly 100,000 people per day). So even if Kanye took more than half the entire crowd (Kanye is FROM CHICAGO and has a HUGE following, here), that still leaves a LOT of people over at the NIN stage. Simple math, nevermind the shoddy math over at the Lolla site which assumes that every attendee is responding to the watch list. I'm just saying guide yourself accordingly. The last time I went to Lolla (I used to go every year for 3 days but I can't hack it anymore, even though it's a 20 minute drive from my house), I PRIMARILY wanted to see Frightened Rabbit on a side stage. It's so crowded, now, I couldn't even get anywhere near the fucking Frightened Rabbit side stage at 2 pm.

Behold Kanye's crowd in 2008:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=mWZfhcLRXho
    Last edited by allegro; 05-17-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Oh really? Wow... you're making me rethink my game plan now...
    I'm still banking on The Killers taking alot of the crowd away.

When you go to the lolla page and hover over the name of the artist to find out who has added it to their watch list, Killers has twice as many people than NIN does.
    12982 VS 6806. That probably gives a good idea. And last time NIN did lolla, didn't they go up against Kanye West? There's no surprise there that the NIN stage was packed, lol.
    You absolutely cannot base those "added to my watch list" things as being accurate accounts of who will go see who. Half the time people don't end up making it to other bands because of conflicts or just walking distance. Hell, last year I think only like 5,000 max added Sigur Ros and they legitimately had one of the biggest crowds all weekend. The Killers aren't remotely as big as you think they are, anymore. NIN will still be pretty damn packed regardless.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I'm betting on NIN having a bigger crowd this time around (this guy was at Kanye). Kanye is arguably the biggest artist on the planet, so of course he had a fucking packed area. The Killers have stalled in popularity, they played an arena here last week that was half the size of the one they played in 2009, and they didn't sell it out, they were giving away $5 tickets. The Killers may still outdraw them, but it's going to be closer than most people think. It'd be different if it were Black Keys or Mumford and Bros, but The Killers haven't been legit in about four years. NIN on the other hand is a nice reunion.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yup. And if Kanye was packed over where you were, and I wasn't able to get (without being a total DOUCHE) closer to the NIN stage than the sound tent (having arrived at the NIN stage for the band just before NIN), then it's safe to say that if @ManBurning wants to be closer than "20 rows back," he'd better start checking the crowd levels pretty early.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Yep, I'd get there before QOTSA plays, because I'm willing to bet at least 75% of that crowd overlaps. I never saw the crowd size for NIN, but Kanye had a crowd that took up the whole South Field and then some. RATM had a pretty lopsided crowd that weekend also, they went up against Wilco who literally had one of the smallest headlining crowds I've seen at any festival.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Hmm, yeah... this is getting rather frightening. Maybe I might have to sit there in front of that stage all day long. I should take the advice from people who have actually attended this festival in the past. Well, there goes a fun Friday, lol. 10 hours in the 100 degree heat it is!

Or, I could not worry about it and just be happy i'm at a festival with Nails regardless of where I am and wait for the North American fall arena dates to do my close up NIN rocking, heh.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    As for standing in line all morning to stand in front of the NIN stage, nah i'll pass on that. Not gonna stand in a mosh pit for 10 hours in the blazing sun with little to no water haha, that's just suicide.
    You can bring in two 1-liter factory sealed bottles of water to Lolla. I did that and put it in a camelpak once inside, no water issues.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Or, I could not worry about it and just be happy i'm at a festival with Nails regardless of where I am and wait for the North American fall arena dates to do my close up NIN rocking, heh.
    Now THAT is a good idea!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Yep, I'd get there before QOTSA plays, because I'm willing to bet at least 75% of that crowd overlaps. I never saw the crowd size for NIN, but Kanye had a crowd that took up the whole South Field and then some. RATM had a pretty lopsided crowd that weekend also, they went up against Wilco who literally had one of the smallest headlining crowds I've seen at any festival.
    The south field area is much bigger, that's why they put artists like Radiohead and Pearl Jam over there. Wasn't the Rage crowd the ones that trampled the fence to get in? That shit was nuts. Tom is from Chicago (wait, but so is Wilco) so I expected increased interest but nothing like THAT shit.

I think Kanye actually had a bigger crowd than when we saw Radiohead or Pearl Jam on the south stage, based on the You Tube vids.

BIGGEST festival crowd I've ever been in was when 78, 000 people decided to show up for a free Stevie Wonder show at Taste of Chicago in Grant Park, holy shit that was nuts. Great show, though.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-17-2013 at 01:20 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    You can bring in two 1-liter factory sealed bottles of water to Lolla. I did that and put it in a camelpak once inside, no water issues.
    i'd hate to find out the answer to this, but out of curiosity, what does a bottle of water cost at Lollapalooza?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Festival Thread

Hint: Water fountains near the rest rooms at Buckingham Fountain can be used to re-fill water (if the free water refill stations are packed).

http://lostinreviews.com/2012/07/fre...-lollapalooza/

Also, the porta potties over by Kidsapalooza are the least disgusting, if you aren't near the flushing toilets by the Buckingham Fountain.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-17-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    i'd hate to find out the answer to this, but out of curiosity, what does a bottle of water cost at Lollapalooza?
    I have no idea. I brought in a camelpak and when I went through my 2 liter water ration, I was able to refill the pak for free at one of those Klean Kanteen stations. Find one that is away from the larger stages. If you don't have a camelpak, there are some radio station or other info booths that give away water bottle bags with a convenient carabiner on it and you can refill that. Sometimes they're set up right before the Lolla entrance in the morning.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Now THAT is a good idea!! :-)

The south field area is much bigger, that's why they put artists like Radiohead and Pearl Jam over there. Wasn't the Rage crowd the ones that trampled the fence to get in? That shit was nuts. Tom is from Chicago (wait, but so is Wilco) so I expected increased interest but nothing like THAT shit.

I think Kanye actually had a bigger crowd than when we saw Radiohead or Pearl Jam on the south stage, based on the You Tube vids.

BIGGEST festival crowd I've ever been in was when 78, 000 people decided to show up for a free Stevie Wonder show at Taste of Chicago in Grant Park, holy shit that was nuts. Great show, though.
    Yeezy had a bigger crowd than Radiohead from what I heard. Would you say the South Field is about twice the size as the North, because it seems that way each time I've gone.

That Rage crowd was nuts though, they trampled fences and the show had to be stopped multiple times. I just remember the annoying sound bleed from it as Wilco were playing.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    tickets acquired.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Yeezy had a bigger crowd than Radiohead from what I heard. Would you say the South Field is about twice the size as the North, because it seems that way each time I've gone.

That Rage crowd was nuts though, they trampled fences and the show had to be stopped multiple times. I just remember the annoying sound bleed from it as Wilco were playing.
    Lady Gaga's crowd in 2010 was absolutely insane too. I heard rumors of 80,000 people at south field for her and the remaining 10-20 thousand at The Strokes. I was fairly close to the stage for her and it took slightly over half an hour to get out of that field once she ended her set.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Lolla Aftershows Posted:

http://do312.com/lollaaftershows

No NIN, but maybe it won't be official or out later. I like to goto the Kendrick show, but I don't know what else yet.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Riot Fest just added... The Replacements. Holy shit. On top of the Femmes. And X. And Bob Mould. It's like a musical high school reunion for me.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Working Firefly again this year.

Public Enemy plays before Grizzly Bear on the same stage.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Festival Thread

The only festival I'm even vaguely considering is the annual Hideout Block Party:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...ineup-is-here/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm going to buy tickets to Riot Fest Toronto, but only the 2nd Day. The 2nd day is unreal, but the 1st day is well...shit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    NXNE has taken over Toronto for the week.
    I saw Social Distortion play a free show last night at Yonge and Dundas Square. Tonight they have the National performing at Yonge and Dundas, so I have to check that out!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    going to osheaga this summer. pretty excited and sort of nervous. i have never been to a multi day music festival. not overly thrilled at the headliners, but not crying over it either. very looking forward to seeing some of the smaller acts, though.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    going to osheaga this summer. pretty excited and sort of nervous. i have never been to a multi day music festival. not overly thrilled at the headliners, but not crying over it either. very looking forward to seeing some of the smaller acts, though.
    Festivals are better if you're not 100% on the headliners. Just enjoy your time and see bands that you normally wouldn't see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just got back from Glastonbury. It is unbelievable.