Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2013.08.23 - West Yorkshire, UK @ Leeds Festival

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

2013.8.23.2013 - West Yorkshire, UK @ Leeds Festival

Yeah did feel odd. Starting with Wish I thought we'd be in for some surprises. I think Reading will have the full light show due to TV stream (and the fact that NME boasts the Talking Heads inspired show for both Reading and Leeds).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    the placement is one thing but NIN should never play in the daylight.....ever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i dont know if its naive for me to have expected more for the festival
    this is NIN only major uk show in a long time and for quite a few months and the fuck them in between two below par bands
    to be honest i think they should have demanded the second stage which is probably a tend, indoors , with the visuals.
    that said these sets bring out the some of the best performences.
    i flew back from australia to see nin play ireland for the first time in like....13 years and the set was day time, everyone around me was there for foo fighters, freaking out because they didnt know what a mosh pit was. amazing gig

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    never mind.
    Last edited by TheRealNs1; 08-23-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scardwel View Post
    No guest appearance from Richard Patrick? (Filter played just a couple of hours earlier on the 'rock' stage). Surely a missed opportunity there!
    Filter played at Pukkelpop two days after NIN and RP sure didn't miss a chance to blabble about NIN yet again (I suppose he does this at every show even when NIN isn't around). I was lucky to start taping a song just as he started his speech: http://goo.gl/oNddTB
    //Sorry for offtop, I'm out.
    Last edited by fillow; 08-24-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    https://twitter.com/officialfilter/s...03664209133568

"
    @OfficialFilter: For everyone at Leeds.Do to circumstances out of our control it was the worst concert experience in my career.A Career spanning 25 years! RP"

guess Filter had bad show also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed it. Just gutted about the fuck up with the lights and that I've seen 4 shows now and STILL never seen Closer.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 2013.8.23.2013 - West Yorkshire, UK @ Leeds Festival

Also. The fall out boy crowd were (predictably) fucking awful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was about 5 rows back between Trent and Robin. It was the crappy crowd I'd expected for NIN but far better than Leeds 2007. I enjoyed the set but mainly because it was my first show since Sonisphere in 2009. I think the set list would have been great in a smaller venue but I'd been really hoping for Copy Of A etc.

For any of you guys going to Reading I think you can expect a lot more. I did both in 2007 and Reading 07 goes down as one of my all time favourite NIN shows. The crowd were far better than Leeds and I predict they will be this time also. I hoping for the visuals and new songs also tomorrow.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

After Reading its unlikely I'll go to a festival to see NIN, unless its a show like Lolla.

Still feeling kind of 'meh' towards this one, and that had NOTHING to do with the band, as always they were fantastic, more so the crowd.... Kind of awkward, these people seemed around 7-10 younger than me (and I'm not even 30 yet by the way) but the gap was apparent.

I've got to get through Fall Out Boy again tomorrow, the thing is, my friend who I'm going with is a fan (bless her) so pray for me all.

Unsurprisingly, I 'm even more excited for Milan now....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm kind of agreeing with you SS. Tomorrow will be my fifth festival to see NIN and I don't know if I want to do it again.

Im going to show my age here but when I first went to Reading in 1992 it was about music. Everyone was there for music. Nowadays festivals just seem to be where 16 year olds go after they've got their exam results. I remember years ago that everyone wore band t shirts to festivals to show their identity. There was none of that yesterday. Even though NIN had a small crowd I saw more NIN shirts than any other band.

But trust me, I have quite high hopes for Reading.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yep it's not a snooty thing, festivals used to be for wreckheads, ravers and hardcore music fans, now they are just full of middle class kids who are only there because it's the thing to do. Nothing against the middle classes (nothing pathological anyway), i only make that emphasis because they are there due to parents being able to cough up, rather than being so into the music they saved up.

it's annoying because now the festivals are overcrowded, overpriced and anywhere decent to get a view from will be packed with drunk tarquins who don't even know why they're there. I remember being right down the front at glastonbury for radiohead, having room to dance and being able to nip to the beer tent and back with ease. True story. And I'm years from 30! It all changed very quickly, TV coverage of glastonbury is what changed the crowds for all festivals and created the market for dystopian monstrosities like v festival

ahem! anyway

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

^^^^^ Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by bowler_hat View Post
    I'm kind of agreeing with you SS. Tomorrow will be my fifth festival to see NIN and I don't know if I want to do it again.

Im going to show my age here but when I first went to Reading in 1992 it was about music. Everyone was there for music. Nowadays festivals just seem to be where 16 year olds go after they've got their exam results. I remember years ago that everyone wore band t shirts to festivals to show their identity. There was none of that yesterday. Even though NIN had a small crowd I saw more NIN shirts than any other band.

But trust me, I have quite high hopes for Reading.
    Which is a shame really as I'm sure NIN want to see their fanbase at the festival shows as well as reach a new audience.

Funny you say that because I posted on Facebook yesterday something along the lines of 'I've yet to see a Biffy Clyro tshirt but if I got £1' for every NIN tshirt I've seen today I'm pretty sure I could find my next tour trip!' LOL! I love seeing all the tshirts, I feltl like I was back in high school circa 1995-1996 (and I wasn't even a fan then!). I just thought it was unusual not to be able to identify who was there for what, nevertheless I felt very proud to wear mine and show my support for the guys

But I agree with you about the demographic, definitely a post exam result crowd... For others it's a fashion parade.

Here's hoping tomorrow will show all those kids how its done and what they're missing!
    Last edited by Scarlet Siren; 08-24-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Reading 2007 was one of the best festival sets I've seen by anyone, ever. Glastonbury 2000 was pretty shit hot too...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    First time seeing NIN and I loved it. Crowd was a disappointment but as soon as I arrived in the arena I kind of expected it. Managed to surround myself with folk in NIN shirts and we tore it up. Pleasantly surprised at the set list aswell. Sheer intensity from TR & Co.
    I've lost my voice from screaming the words to every song and I hurt all over. Job well done. Roll on April.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    First time seeing NIN and I loved it. Crowd was a disappointment but as soon as I arrived in the arena I kind of expected it. Managed to surround myself with folk in NIN shirts and we tore it up. Pleasantly surprised at the set list aswell. Sheer intensity from TR & Co.
    I've lost my voice from screaming the words to every song and I hurt all over. Job well done. Roll on April.
    Hello fellow Scot! glad you enjoyed it !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    they went down a storm in reading 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Leeds set may not have been streamed, but unless the cameraman in this was miming, it was filmed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ^^ thanks for the nice reptile clip!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    Leeds set may not have been streamed, but unless the cameraman in this was miming, it was filmed

Probably for the screens on either side of the stage. I doubt we'll see it anywhere, unless there was some satellite trickery like Reading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stefler View Post
    ^^ thanks for the nice reptile clip!
    Here's another from the same person - more heads in the way with this one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help Me I Am In Hell

Well I kind of expected the crowd to be the way it was (drunk, stoned youth club, as it has been for all the time I have been going to Leeds Fest). I was in the guest area, getting close to show time, talking to the accountant for the Kaiser Chiefs (!) and he was curious, saying he didn't know anything about NIN, so i suggested he had to come with me (his wife and daughter came too). We found a decent spot stage right about 15 rows back - the area wasn't packed as the FOB scrotes had all buggered off. Looking at the stage set up. I knew it wasn't going to be what I had already seen from Lolla. Lowlands and Japan (yup, disappointed), but then I heard the strains of Pinion and then Wish started...and, of course, all was forgiven. the area I was in started to fill up with real fans and it was a pleasure to occasionally turn around, and see people having a great time. The set was brutally delivered - no foreplay at all and you could feel the intensity coming from the stage - fortunately, Leeds did not have the smoke machine on 11, so you could see Ilian and Alessandro. Burn then Reptile then Gave Up had me gasping as they were so intense. The accountant was rocking out (as were his wife and daughter) and he kept saying this was the most amazing show he had ever seen. The Frail/The Wretched was a good opportunity to chill/calm down, have a beer/whatever before the last two songs - I was hoping for Hurt but knew within seconds that the show was over. I lost my voice from singing and was still pretty fired up, but the friday line up meant that there was little else to see, and besides what could top what I had just seen?. So I left the drunken/stoned youth club to it and was home in 20 minutes, watching the Lowlands show. I then remembered I had taken two pics (I had pointed my camera and just hoped for the best) and had a large smile when I first saw them.

I do know the promoter - my polite way of describing him to people is that he is an astute business man i.e. a bastard who pays his bills late (a number of businesses have gone bust because of this) but I guess he didn't get where he is today by being nice.

I must say that I've been at Leeds Fest since 97 and it has been getting steadily worse - shit line ups, shit weather and plenty of shithead punters. I did go the saturday nite and the rain/mud was biblical - the worst it has ever been. Even a free bar doesn't make up for all the bad bits but my 6th show will keep me going until next April (unless I come over the US for a Tension show)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4...-2013-reviewed

About Reading but applicable to Leeds.