Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Garbage

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Version 2.0 was probably the first album I bought by myself at 13 years old. Before that, I was mainly listening to pop radio songs like Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys before shifting it all to "alternative-rock".

I still love it. I haven't been a fan of their latter albums, but I still hold this one highly in my all time favorite albums.

You Look So Fine is my favorite closer song ever.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    as much as that part of the song gives me chills, i hate when reissues do this.
    responding myself to report that the vocals on 'you look so fine' sound exactly the same as i remember them, so no need to worry about any take/version differences across the reissue. it souns great!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    At 3:02 to 3:25, the backvocals are different, and even on different notes.
    Last edited by PhoenixML; 07-03-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I bought Version 2.0 in 1999, after seeing their video for "Special."

That album really brings me back to when I was 19, a very transitional year for me, good memories. Looking forward to the Boston show.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I was a junior in high school when 2.0 came out and had already been downright obsessed with the debut album for a couple years prior to that. "Push It" was absolutely everything I wanted their sound to be. They have a true knack for mixing pop sensibilities with more abrasive sounds and textures and I think 2.0 delivers that in spades. It's probably objectively the superior of the first two albums, but I just have way too much personal attachment to that first one.

Is there any truth to the reasoning of Trent being thanked in the liner notes of the first album for "naming" the band, after he supposedly used that exact word to describe Butch Vig's "Last" remix? I can't seem to find any evidence of this now but I swear this was stated somewhere, or I've just been erroneously making myself believe it all these years haha.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I was a junior in high school when 2.0 came out and had already been downright obsessed with the debut album for a couple years prior to that. "Push It" was absolutely everything I wanted their sound to be. They have a true knack for mixing pop sensibilities with more abrasive sounds and textures and I think 2.0 delivers that in spades. It's probably objectively the superior of the first two albums, but I just have way too much personal attachment to that first one.

Is there any truth to the reasoning of Trent being thanked in the liner notes of the first album for "naming" the band, after he supposedly used that exact word to describe Butch Vig's "Last" remix? I can't seem to find any evidence of this now but I swear this was stated somewhere, or I've just been erroneously making myself believe it all these years haha.
    According to the "This is the noise that keeps me awake" book, the name comes from Butch Vig's studio journal from 1993 "I hope all this garbage will become something beautiful" (referring to their output from those recording sessions)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Wish Garbage would tour with NIN.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Wish Garbage would tour with NIN.
    that would be killer!

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    At 3:02 to 3:25, the backvocals are different, and even on different notes.
    yeah just did an a/b and it's slightly different. on the original, she appears to oscillate the pitch more with each note.

did they explain why they switched the vocals? as such, my previous annoyance is reinstated.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've put off getting a copy of the reissue as I have all the b-sides already - I was hoping instead for a full package, as per the debut, with at least all the remixes. Anyway, I see a remix package has now been made available digitally (which suits me fine) eg this from 7digital at 320 or FLAC https://www.7digital.com/yourmusic/a...025436/8025436

I'm intrigued by some changes as mentioned here. I know they had issues before with remastering where original tapes (or whatever) were missing so some material was reconstructed from other sources, or something along those lines. That was for the Absolute compilation, if I remember correctly.

I'm rather gutted to be missing the London show. I'm not a big gig goer, and a night out up to London can end up costing more than I can really spare, but I was all set to give in and get tickets (Dream Wife in support swayed it a bit) when the Nine Inch Nails show came up. No contest then, but yeah, if the two bands could play together I'd be thrilled.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Setlist spoiler; tour kicked off in Scotland last night!!

http://www.garbagebase.com/2018/09/e...urgh-scotland/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Setlist spoiler; tour kicked off in Scotland last night!!

http://www.garbagebase.com/2018/09/e...urgh-scotland/
    Not sure why, but the lack of S/T love makes me sad.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw them last night in Boston--another outstanding show. They played Version 2.0 (not front-to-back), some covers, b-sides, a new song, and ended with OHWIR. Game one of the World Series was right next door, so that was exciting. Never disappointed with this band.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Saw them last night in Boston--another outstanding show. They played Version 2.0 (not front-to-back), some covers, b-sides, a new song, and ended with OHWIR. Game one of the World Series was right next door, so that was exciting. Never disappointed with this band.
    I saw them last month in London, they finished with an audience vote between a David Bowie song (Starman I think?) and Cherry Lips, with the latter winning out. Was No Horses the 'new' song?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I saw them last month in London, they finished with an audience vote between a David Bowie song (Starman I think?) and Cherry Lips, with the latter winning out. Was No Horses the 'new' song?
    No, it was a brand new song written last year, not yet recorded.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    still bummed that there wasn't an LA or San Diego date

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just having a listen to the Destroying Angels / Starman single which is now available to download after being a Record Store Day vinyl exclusive. The A side is good - another interesting collaboration, this time with the guys from X, but not quite a Garbage classic. I'm always wary of any David Bowie covers, and I'm not entirely sold on their Starman for the B side. I'm willing to bet it sounds good live (will check YouTube in a bit) but otherwise... it is what it is.
    Really looking forward to some proper new material though - I can't help feel that Strangle Little Birds was rather underappreciated personally. So I also see that they're heading to Europe for some festival dates this summer... not rushing to get tickets for Kew The Music in London, even thought it is a headline show. Got my fingers crossed for an additional indoor (club?) show while they're here.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Just having a listen to the Destroying Angels / Starman single which is now available to download after being a Record Store Day vinyl exclusive. The A side is good - another interesting collaboration, this time with the guys from X, but not quite a Garbage classic. I'm always wary of any David Bowie covers, and I'm not entirely sold on their Starman for the B side..
    I was able to grab the 7" on RSDBF and yeah... that's pretty much the way I feel about it. The murder ballad is great by the cover is... well, I'm not much of a Bowie fan to begin with, so... I'm just happy with the A-side.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Just got back from their tour kickoff at The Tabernacle (in Atlanta). Great to see the band firing on all cylinders. They played 3 songs in off Garbage, 7 songs off V.2, 3 songs off BG, 2 songs off BLM, 2 songs off NYKOP, 2 songs off SLB. Plus #1 Crush and Horses. Shirley sounded fantastic. But they fucked up some songs and had to restart them (Parade, Blood for Poppies); plus had a big “to-do” during Push It (some dude punched a girl and Shirley made sure that nobody got arrested for better or worse). My 6 year old, who is obsessed with the band, wasn’t a huge fan of the setlist. So that must mean I’ve done something right in life. All in all, the experience makes me realize how painfully underrated Garbage is.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm so glad Dumb and Wicked Ways are still kicking around. The return of Parade is definitely welcomed as well. Apparently they performed On Fire for the first time, too? All in all, looks like a very typically Garbage setlist! (Not a bad thing)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    They'll be touring next summer with Alanis Morissette and Liz Phair, ahead of their 7th full length album coming out later in the fall. I've somehow never actually seen Alanis or Liz before, so I'm pretty geeked about the lineup!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    They'll be touring next summer with Alanis Morissette and Liz Phair, ahead of their 7th full length album coming out later in the fall. I've somehow never actually seen Alanis or Liz before, so I'm pretty geeked about the lineup!
    Great Scott! Marty, we must have traveled to 1995! Funny, I also see that Motley Crue, Def Leppard and Poison are touring together! There must be a tear in the space-time continuum!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Honestly, I would like to see this tour. I love JLP and this bill looks great.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    the three of them toured together in 1998.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Damn their gonna be playing the DTE, I'm on the fence about this one. It's a 16 hour drive, but I just NEED to get a good tape outta this venue...

(That and the place is just damn cool, if you've been there you know what I mean)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    No Gods No Masters, the seventh "overtly politically and socially charged" studio album, is formally being announced tomorrow! Lead single "The Men Who Rule the World" will probably also be out then or by the end of the week.

*edit - June 11th release date.
    https://garbage.lnk.to/NoGodsNoMasters

CD/Neon Green LP:
    1. The Men Who Rule the World
    2. The Creeps
    3. Uncomfortably Me
    4. Wolves
    5. Waiting for God
    6. Godhead
    7. Anonymous XXX
    8. A Woman Destroyed
    9. Flipping the Bird
    10. No Gods No Masters
    11. This City Will Kill You

Deluxe CD:
    12. No Horses
    13. Starman
    14. Girls Talk w/Brody Dalle
    15. Because the Night w/Screaming Females
    16. On Fire
    17. The Chemicals w/Brian Aubert
    18. Destroying Angels w/John Doe & Exene Cervenka
    19. Time Will Destroy Everything
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 03-29-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    No Gods No Masters, the seventh "overtly politically and socially charged" studio album, is formally being announced tomorrow! Lead single "The Men Who Rule the World" will probably also be out then or by the end of the week.
    Single is out tomorrow as well, per their Instagram.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting deets. Was waiting patiently for the official announcement via mailing list!
    I'm a little sad the album isn't coming sooner, but hey, a single will do for now. I've really enjoyed their recent material - possibly more than Beautiful Garbage and Bleed Like Me eras - so hopes are high. Nice to see the bonus disc there too - I'll be well pleased to have this lot on CD.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Store is live!!! There's also a limited white vinyl as well as t-shirt and signed art print bundles for sale.