Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 187

Thread: Garbage

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    371
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I love Strange Little Birds. It's really grown on me. I actually think it's right up there with the Debut and Version 2.0 as one of the best albums.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,514
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Blondie & Garbage

    July 5 - The Mountain Winery, Saratoga, CA*
    July 7 - Santa Barbara Bowl, Santa Barbara, CA*
    July 8 - The Pearl Concert Theater, Las Vegas NV*
    July 12 - Edgefield, Troutdale, OR*
    July 14 - Idaho Center Amphitheatre, Nampa, ID*
    July 16 - Fiddler’s Green Amphitheatre, Englewood, CO*
    July 18 - Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, Kansas City, MO*
    July 19 - Harrah’s Council Bluffs Hotel & Casino, Council Bluffs, IA*
    July 21 - Mystic Lake Casino—Mystic Showroom, Prior Lake, MN*
    July 22 - Ravinia Festival, Highland Park, IL*
    July 25 - Artpark, Lewiston, NY**
    July 26 - Sony Centre For Performing Arts, Toronto, ON**
    July 28 - Count Basie Theatre, Red Bank, NJ**
    July 29 - Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, Bethel, NY**
    July 30 - Blue Hills Bank Pavilion, Boston, MA**
    August 1 - Beacon Theatre, New York, NY**
    August 2 - Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA**
    August 5 - The Red Hat Amphitheater, Raleigh, NC**
    August 8 - Seminole Hard Rock Live Arena, Hollywood, FL**
    August 9 - Hard Rock Live, Orlando, FL**
    August 11 – ACL Live, Austin, TX **
    August 12 - Southside Ballroom, Dallas, TX**
    MORE DATES TO BE ADDED
    * w/ John Doe & Exene Cervenka
    ** w/ Deap Vally




  3. #93
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Damn Council Bluffs is only like 2 hours away, might have to go.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    pacific northwest
    Posts
    1,804
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    awesome. i'll be at the nampa show.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    New song "No Horses"
    coming this Friday!
    (https://twitter.com/garbage/status/884819142230003712)

    I'm guessing this is a one-off single for the Blondie tour, rather than being part of a new album. Looks like there will be a video, but no b-sides or anything, and no physical release as far as I know.

    They've played it live already, which you can see on YouTube, but I'm waiting to listen to the proper release first. Has anyone been at the recent dates? Footage looks a bit strange, playing in sunlight to half empty venues. Looks like Blondie fans are in the majority for these shows.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    4,059
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Garbage goes apocalyptic...

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Garbage goes apocalyptic...
    Nice, I like the song. Strange Little Birds is a great album, up there with the first one imo (always been my favorite).

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    923
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    402
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just announced yesterday - 20 Years Paranoid show for London, September 2018. Tickets on sale Friday.
    https://twitter.com/garbage/status/904389064052367360

    Presumably we'll see further European dates added to this. I feel a bit odd about this as the Strange Little Birds tour didn't really cover much for Europe, so I hope they include a whole lot of the new songs for this run. Guess there would be US dates too, but what with SLB and Blondie tours it's not like you guys haven't had a good fill of Garbage recently.

    I'm not sure I feel too fussed about the Version 2.0 reissue though. The debut was a real treat with all the b-sides and remixes together, but I'm not sure the bonus material for this record will match that.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,782
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,514
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    https://www.spin.com/2018/04/garbage...r-version-2-0/

    "20 Years Paranoid" U.S. Tour

    09/29 – Seattle, WA @ Showbox SoDo
    09/30 – Portland, OR @ Roseland Theatre
    10/03 – Oakland, CA @ Fox Theater
    10/05 – Las Vegas, NV @ Cosmopolitan Hotel
    10/07 – Tempe, AZ @ Marquee Theatre
    10/09 – Albuquerque, NM @ Sunshine Theatre
    10/11 – Dallas, TX @ House of Blues
    10/12 – Houston, TX @ House of Blues
    10/13 – Tulsa, OK @ Paradise Cove
    10/17 – Chicago, IL @ The Riv
    10/18 – Northfield, OH @ Hard Rock Live
    10/20 – Port Chester, NY @ Capitol Theatre
    10/21 – Washington, DC @ Lincoln Theatre
    10/23 – Boston, MA @ House of Blues
    10/25 – Philadelphia, PA @ The Fillmore
    10/26 – Atlantic City, NJ @ Borgata Spa & Resort
    10/27 – Brooklyn, NY @ Kings Theatre

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,506
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Anyone going to the Version 2.0 tour?

    Seeing them in Boston a few days after NIN.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Anyone going to the Version 2.0 tour?

    Seeing them in Boston a few days after NIN.
    I might try to go to the Oakland show. I am not a huge fan, but I do like enough of their material to check them out live and have a good time. 2.0 was a big album, I liked a lot of the songs from it.

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,253
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Anyone going to the Version 2.0 tour?

    Seeing them in Boston a few days after NIN.
    Yes, I'll be at the Port Chester, NY show. This will be my 3rd time seeing them. They kick ass live.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,514
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It breaks my heart to be missing the V2.0 album live, but I can't make it to any of the shows. I was lucky enough to see one of the debut album shows a few years back though, and that's the album that I have the fondest memories of.

  16. #106
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,506
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    I hope they do a 20th anniversary edition of Beautiful Garbage in three years--tons of b-sides from that era too.

  17. #107
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Anyone get a copy of the orange vinyl for 2.0 yet? I ordered it months ago via amazon, and they are saying it will be delivered by the end of August. I don't feel like waiting...haha, so I ordered it from a local guy.

  18. #108
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,782
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    Anyone get a copy of the orange vinyl for 2.0 yet? I ordered it months ago via amazon, and they are saying it will be delivered by the end of August. I don't feel like waiting...haha, so I ordered it from a local guy.
    I ordered mine from Amazon and got it a day early. Sounds great.

  19. #109
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,070
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Is the difference from the original version noticeable?

  20. #110
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,506
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Is the difference from the original version noticeable?
    I did a side-by-side comparison today and couldn't tell a noticeable difference. Maybe the new disc is louder, but they sound pretty much the same, to my ears. If the anniversary edition didn't include the bonus disc with b-sides, I wouldn't have bothered getting it and just stuck with the original CD. I have the 1998 disc uploaded onto my i-tunes/i-pod and am just going to leave it.

    Honestly, for most albums, is it even worth remastering albums released after say, 1994? Some CDs issued in the 80's/early 90's do sound thin, and the remasters were a big improvement, i.e. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, etc. But can you really improve upon the sound quality of a CD issued in 1998 all that much?

    Some of the b-sides here are quite good, so this was still a worthwhile purchase. I really like:
    Last edited by GulDukat; 07-02-2018 at 09:23 AM.

  21. #111
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I did a side-by-side comparison today and couldn't tell a noticeable difference. Maybe the new disc is louder, but they sound pretty much the same, to my ears. If the anniversary edition didn't include the bonus disc with b-sides, I wouldn't have bothered getting it and just stuck with the original CD. I have the 1998 disc uploaded onto my i-tunes/i-pod and am just going to leave it.

    Honestly, for most albums, is it even worth remastering albums released after say, 1994? Some CDs issued in the 80's/early 90's do sound thin, and the remasters were a big improvement, i.e. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, etc. But can you really improve upon the sound quality of a CD issued in 1998 all that much?

    Some of the b-sides here are quite good, so this was still a worthwhile purchase. I really like:
    I was/am a big fan of the B-Side, Lick the Pavement from this era. Though, I did find the B-Sides for the first record to be stronger than those from the second (does it really get any better than Butterfly Collector?). I collected those slim case singles back in the day, and have quite the Garbage Collection.

    I agree 100% that any remaster of something form the 90s isn't going to be that huge of a step up from the original master, especially if Butch Vig was in that band. I am just excited to finally have this in my vinyl collection. I didn't have the original pressing of this or the first record, so it is sweet to have them both.

  22. #112
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,506
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    I was/am a big fan of the B-Side, Lick the Pavement from this era. Though, I did find the B-Sides for the first record to be stronger than those from the second (does it really get any better than Butterfly Collector?). I collected those slim case singles back in the day, and have quite the Garbage Collection.

    I agree 100% that any remaster of something form the 90s isn't going to be that huge of a step up from the original master, especially if Butch Vig was in that band. I am just excited to finally have this in my vinyl collection. I didn't have the original pressing of this or the first record, so it is sweet to have them both.
    Some remasters from the 90's sound worse than the original release, Superunknown being the best example. I uploaded the 2014 remaster of Superunknown to my ipod and couldn't believe how bad it sounded. It was like my headphones had both blown, everything was just very loud and muffled.

  23. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Some remasters from the 90's sound worse than the original release, Superunknown being the best example. I uploaded the 2014 remaster of Superunknown to my ipod and couldn't believe how bad it sounded. It was like my headphones had both blown, everything was just very loud and muffled.
    I heard that one and the remaster for the first Rage Against the Machine record are to be avoided at all costs. I am not a guy who can tell you what is what, but I guess they claim both are 'brickwalled' to death, which I guess means they pumped up the volume on them to the point where finer details are lost?

  24. #114
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,006
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    (does it really get any better than Butterfly Collector?)..
    it's a jam cover, which isn't as good as the original, but still a damn fine track.



    my fav. b-sides from garbage are 'girl don't come,' 'trip my wire,' 'subhuman,' and 'sleep' - hearing those (and more) live was a real treat.

    as for version 2.0, my fav. from that era is 'deadwood' and the big star cover 'thirteen.' overall, i love all the b-sides from the first record and am hit or miss on the second (not a fan of 'tornado' at all). the albums are mostly neck-and-neck, though i slightly prefer the first as well.

    i have original wax for both, but i've been tempted by both reissues so i could have the b-sides on vinyl... hard to justify though, considering how much i paid for and cherish the originals...

  25. #115
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    1,514
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "Soldier Through This" is immaculate, and probably the biggest reason I'm torn up about missing one of these shows this fall.

  26. #116
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,782
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    my fav. b-sides from garbage are 'girl don't come,' 'trip my wire,' 'subhuman,' and 'sleep' - hearing those (and more) live was a real treat.
    "Trip My Wire" is such a good song but the live version is so much better.

  27. #117
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Mostly it seems to add a bit of clarity to some songs, like Dumb and Temptation Waits. In a good way though, some elements are easier to hear like the backing vocals in the chorus of the latter. You Look So Fine seems to have a different vocal take in the outro refrain (Drown in me one more time, hide inside me tonight etc.).

    It isn't brickwalled either, the main album disc all the songs have plenty of breathing room. The bsides disc is a little more compressed dynamically but I wouldn't call it loud or brickwalled either. Still room for the audio to breathe and no clipping on either disc.

  28. #118
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,070
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    That sounds more like what I was hoping for. With a remaster, I'm not necessarily looking for better sound quality or a tweaked dynamic range, I'm looking for different elements to be made prominent, and maybe new takes from the recording session mixed in. The gold standard for me is TDS' 5.1 mix, in which many tracks sound quite different, even if converted to stereo.

  29. #119
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Plus I've somehow never heard it before despite having all the other b-sides in some form, but the acoustic version of Medication is beautiful.

  30. #120
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,006
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    You Look So Fine seems to have a different vocal take in the outro refrain (Drown in me one more time, hide inside me tonight etc.)
    as much as that part of the song gives me chills, i hate when reissues do this.

Posting Permissions