Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Garbage

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I saw them last night. It was a fairly tight show but I think Shirley forgot the tune more than a few times.

I like this approach to a retrospective more than just playing the albums through from start to finish. It really did feel like a celebration of the whole era, with anectodes, video footage, and b-sides/rarities.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    she tends to forget lyrics sometimes. i've always found it kind of charming. i was surprised when they got through the nyc gig without incident!

that said, agreed. i generally dislike the full album runs (with few exceptions, like hearing the holy bible from front to back), but this tour was perfectly executed. mixing the setlist up to flow as a proper show and covering all songs from the era was a really classy move and set the bar for this kind of tour for sure.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    At long last - details for the new album have been released this afternoon. Strange Little Birds will be released on 10th June. Details are on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/GarbageOffi...e=3&permPage=1 along with tour dates. I'm extremely put out that the London show is at the busiest time of year for me at work so I'm unlikely to be able to make it. I enjoyed the Brixton show so much last year I was set on seeing them next time. Crap.
    Oh yeah, and there's a tiny snippet of a song on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BCxtzonMyrf/ to whet our appetites. Sounds pretty good to me! Shirley has suggested it will be a 'dark' record, but we'll see.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Always liked Garbage, looking forward to hearing this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Love Garbage but damn that artwork looks bad

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I really want to like it so much more than I do.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Fuck yes, Indianapolis!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I really like the new track (Empty). It's got the good old dark garbage vibe. Looking forward to the record.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah, it's a good track. It hasn't blown me away at all, but it's not quite as different as I was expecting. I'm being a bit hopeful here, but we know a video is coming 'soon' (directed by the guy who did Vow, Only Happy When It Rains and Stupid Girl), and I can't help wonder if this might get a full 'old-school' single release. My reasoning being that the Strange Little Birds bonus tracks seem to have disappeared from pre-order pages. Perhaps they had planned to do the same as NYKOP and release a deluxe version, but have since changed their minds and we'll now get proper b-sides. Maybe even on a CD and everything. Just a thought.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Going to the Boston show this summer. Seen them a few times. LOVED this band when I was in my late teens, early 20's. Kind of lost interest, but am still looking forward to the new album and tour.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    I really want to like it so much more than I do.
    I hear you. I like "Empty," it's a good, solid single that should appeal to fans of their first two albums, very 90's. I just don't love it. While their last album Not Your Kind of People did really well with fans and critics, I thought it was kind of a disappointment. I felt it was a good album, but more of the same, like a lost album that should have been released around 1999 or 2000. While Beautiful Garbage and Bleed Like Me weren't as popular as their first two, I liked how they were trying to branch out and experiment with the formula, dance-pop with the former and more guitar rock with the latter.

With "Empty," the band sounds good, the single is catchy, but it feels a little recycled.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-10-2016 at 06:35 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

amazing how Shirley still looks sooooo goooood
    Last edited by LaneSax; 05-23-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Looks like Butch Vig is out for the first leg of the tour (Matt Walker filling in) until June 18th.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Pretty spiffy video.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    New album is pretty great. I interviewed Shirley a couple of weeks ago. Waiting on my editor to post it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    New album is pretty great. I interviewed Shirley a couple of weeks ago. Waiting on my editor to post it.
    So you got an advance copy huh? Do let us know when the interview is up.
    It seems they're doing a lot more promo for this record than they did for NYKOP. Plus, that is a very cool video for Empty. I've not listened to the track a great deal, but I'd say it was more of a grower than an immediate hit. I'll certainly be glad if there's more like this on the album. I've seen a couple of pretty good reviews, and a couple that are a bit more 'average', but I get the feeling it will be a bit more consistent than the last album.
    I guess some people will be gutted about Butch's absence on tour right now, but Matt Walker is about as good a replacement you can get. So here's Vow from France last night:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I prefer Curve, but I've always kinda liked Garbage. Haven't really listened to anything much past Version 2.0 though. But I really dig what I'm hearing from their new album, I must say. It gives me that old "i'm young and full of life in the summer" feeling. Might go see em on this summer tour. anyone know if there's gonna be an opening band?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I saw Garbage on Saturday at a metal festival where they were quite out of place, but I really loved the old 90ies vibe, Shirley was in a good mood and pretty much all the girls loved her antics, stage banter and the nice little set they played. Too bad it was only like 10 songs and only "empty" as a new one, but I really enjoyed it. Especially since I never had the chance to see them before.

Curve for me as well. All the way, but it's nice to have another band having that particular sound going for them and being successsful with it.

Sadly Butch Vig was missing, but I totally forgot that Eric Avery is a touring member, so I was positively surprised to see him on stage.
    Last edited by dlb; 05-30-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    This is really great!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    I prefer Curve
    I don't think Curve have their own thread, but as there are a few fans here - did everyone see the 'new' Foetus remix single? Check their Bandcamp page https://curve.bandcamp.com/ - previously unreleased mixes, presumably from '91.

Back to Garbage - I'm enjoying Doomed for sure. I don't always get on with their more downbeat material, but On Fire from the last single was really good too. I believe there may be live clips of other new songs, but I think I might hold back from teasers for now, especially as it's not long until the album is out.

I've seen Garbage live three times now, and I wouldn't hesitate to see them again (except when I just can't make it... grumble...). Music wise they're pretty powerful - perhaps more so than you'd think from the records - and of course any Shirley banter adds to the experience.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Strange Little Birds is out today, and I'm in love. It has a very dark vibe which is almost NIN-ish at times. Probably my favorite since Version 2.0.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I need more listens

As of now only "Empty", "So We Can Stay Alive" and "Magnetized" stand out for me.
    Last edited by LaneSax; 06-10-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If I lost you definitely has a Year Zero vibe

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    picked up the album after reading a forum thread ripping on it for being too 90's, I was like 'but I liked that sound!', and hey, whaddya know, its pretty damn good. Sorta feels like where they would have headed after Version 2.0 in an alt. universe. I think I was one of the few who really liked beautifulgarbage but something about the super slick production always felt off. Love the soft industrial vibes on a few of the new tracks too.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    the new record is growing on me

Blackout and Night Drive Loneliness are great too

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)