Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ofwgkta

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Earl's gonna be on Jimmy Fallon tonight. Can't believe Doris is out in two weeks. I have a feeling we'll get a leak sometime next week.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    http://frankocean.net/2013/08/13/mus...-ocean-sunday/

God damn. Frank throws down here. I already love this album. Earl's appearance on Fallon was top-notch, too.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    http://frankocean.net/2013/08/13/mus...-ocean-sunday/

God damn. Frank throws down here. I already love this album. Earl's appearance on Fallon was top-notch, too.
    Yeah this song is really good...apparently 8 songs of the album have leaked online although most of them were made up of already released singles. I'm sure we'll see a full length leak by the end of this week.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Yeah, I found that partial leak. I pre-ordered the album, so I'm hoping for a leak soon. Honestly, I probably won't listen to the leaked tracks besides Sunday, because I want to hear the rest of it in full.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Doris has leaked in full.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Eurgh.

Alright, I just finished the first listen of the whole album, and I gotta say, Earl kind of disappointed me with this one. It's funny, the five tracks that I heard before the album dropped (Burgundy, Sunday, Hive, Chum, and Whoa) ended up being easily the five best. I understand that having a lot of features is a safety move for a major label debut, but still, too many low-level OF cronies and not enough Earl. RZA's verse wasn't that great either.

I'm still gonna let my pre-order on Amazon go through, but I don't know how this let me down so much. This actually had less of an impact than Wolf did.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Eurgh.

Alright, I just finished the first listen of the whole album, and I gotta say, Earl kind of disappointed me with this one. It's funny, the five tracks that I heard before the album dropped (Burgundy, Sunday, Hive, Chum, and Whoa) ended up being easily the five best. I understand that having a lot of features is a safety move for a major label debut, but still, too many low-level OF cronies and not enough Earl. RZA's verse wasn't that great either.

I'm still gonna let my pre-order on Amazon go through, but I don't know how this let me down so much. This actually had less of an impact than Wolf did.
    I COMPLETELY AGREE.

There's something a little off about this record, I mean...it's a huge artistic leap from where he was at so I can only imagine his next record after Doris will even more of an artistic leap, but there's just a weird vibe I get with this album. I think the track listing leaves a lot to be desired. RZA verse on Molasses was sub par, but I thought the beat was really great.

You're right, the five tracks you mentioned are some of the best. I did like Hoarse, I love the instrumentation too.

I think I'm finally done with Tyler, the Creator. His verses on Sasquatch were terrible and the beat feels like something off of Wolf, whose replay value has incredibly wained...I think I finally realized that there really isn't going to be as much of a creative change for Tyler. He raps in the way he likes to and what feels comfortable but I'm so tired of hearing the same stuff over and over again.

I don't think Doris is a ENTIRE disappointment and to me, it's probably the strongest full hip hop record since Bastard...but we'll see how future listens keep it going.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i was shocked at how simple, bad and lazy some of the songs on here were. very disappointed as well. There are def. some good tracks, but it's easier to just keep those and delete the rest. the album is pointless and has nothing to say. thats fine bc thats how this crew rolls i guess, but it just wasnt entertaining. some of those beats are things i could come up with on Adobe Audition myself.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Regarding Sasquatch, yeah, that was definitely the low point of the album. It's like Earl and Tyler plucked verses from 2009 and threw them over a 2013 beat. The extended beatdown fantasy on One Direction? No thanks.

Tyler complimented Earl really well on Whoa, but Sasquatch just dragged Earl down to Tyler's level, and that's way, way down.

I wonder how the reviews will pan out.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Regarding Sasquatch, yeah, that was definitely the low point of the album. It's like Earl and Tyler plucked verses from 2009 and threw them over a 2013 beat. The extended beatdown fantasy on One Direction? No thanks.

Tyler complimented Earl really well on Whoa, but Sasquatch just dragged Earl down to Tyler's level, and that's way, way down.

I wonder how the reviews will pan out.
    That's the thing with Tyler was that even if he repeated himself on certain subjects, I thought he still had a way to turn it on it's head and make it sound different...the One Direction bashing / Chris Brown and Rihanna lines and the little jokes about Frank Ocean's sexuality were all covered at least twice on Wolf. It really is the low point of the record.

I'm interested to see the reviews as well.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    New Earl leaked. Still gotta say a major plus of this record is certainly the lack of Tyler.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I'm new to Odd Future.
    I got that Sam is Dead song stuck in my head for days.
    i listened to bastard, goblin and wolf and i REALLY like wolf.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    So the new Tyler leaked, I'll fully admit I thought Wolf did NOT hold up for very long on repeat listens as he just went into a direction I wasn't really into with his music. I suppose from some it was nice to see some progression, but I preferred the dark elements of the Tyler character more from Bastard and a little bit in Goblin...that being said, I think Cherry Bomb has some of his best production in awhile. I really dig the songs that have the bass up really obnoxiously high as I think that goes in line with Tyler's personality and lyrics. At times, the album feels like a noisy N.E.R.D record...but then some of his production choices go right back into boring Wolf territory.

Kanye's guest spot made me smile though at least. I think I'll be revisiting this one more than I did with Wolf in 2013, but overall I guess Tyler just isn't interested in writing music that captures my ears as much anymore...and that's totally fine.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Bump bump.
    So have you guys heard the news about Tyler possibly coming out of the closet on Scum Fuck Flower Boy? On the new record he says 1: "the next line will have them like "whoa"/I've been kissing white boys since 2004." 2: "truth is, thought it was a phase. Thought it would be like Frank, Poof, gone/but it's still going on." and to me, the line that carries the most weight is 3: "shout out to all the girls i lead on for occasional head/and always keeping my bed warm/ and trying their hardest to keep my head on
    straight."
    Now, granted, Eminem "outed" himself multiple times and also implicated Dr. Dre, but those tracks were obviously jokes. And Tyler is known for taking on alternate personas. BUT, that last line, among other things, sure sounds like it's from the heart. Also, it would explain A LOT.
    It might be a publicity stunt or a concept album. Either way, I call it a win win: it's gonna make millions of "tough guy" OF fans feel REALLY weird and also might just make a bunch of people feel better about themselves.

Full disclosure:
    I have a dog in this race because, although I don't identify as bisexual, I did some pretty intense experimentation when I was young and I damn near killed myself over it. Or, rather, I nearly killed myself over my family's reaction to it.
    And my real name is Tyler .

TL; DR:
    Tyler the Creator is either coming out as gay or bi, or having one of his "personas" come out, on Scum Fuck Flower Boy. Either way, I think it's fucking great, especially because I have some skin in this game in the form of being with a couple of guys when I was young and having terrible, fucked up feelings about it for years.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    doesn't change the fact that he has acted in blatantly homophobic and sexist ways. just because you're a part of a marginalized group doesn't exempt you from being an asshole.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    doesn't change the fact that he has acted in blatantly homophobic and sexist ways. just because you're a part of a marginalized group doesn't exempt you from being an asshole.
    Yeah man, I feel you.
    But I don't get offended by words nearly as easily as you do (PLEASE don't think I'm being judgemental; I'm just saying that I feel like you and I look at these things differently) I take things in stride when it comes to words; unless someone is like calling me a faggo* in a hateful manner, I just refuse to let words have much power over me.
    And he hasn't ACTED in homophobic and sexist ways, he's RAPPED in sexist ways and said fa***t in songs, and I just take it as part of the shock rap, be-as-offensive -as-possible genre. When it comes to ACTIONS, shit, he put out Pride shirts and promoted them by holding hands with a guy in a photo shoot.
    And don't get me wrong, I'm goddamn sure not suggesting he's some kind of LGBTQ hero here.

But no matter what, I'm insanely thrilled about this development. I think it's fucking great.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-15-2017 at 03:06 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Yeah man, I feel you.
    But I don't get offended by words nearly as easily as you do (PLEASE don't think I'm being judgemental; I'm just saying that I feel like you and I look at these things differently) I take things in stride when it comes to words; unless someone is like calling me a faggo* in a hateful manner, I just refuse to let words have much power over me.
    And he hasn't ACTED in homophobic and sexist ways, he's RAPPED in sexist ways and said fa***t in songs, and I just take it as part of the shock rap, be-as-offensive -as-possible genre. When it comes to ACTIONS, shit, he put out Pride shirts and promoted them by holding hands with a guy in a photo shoot.
    And don't get me wrong, I'm goddamn sure not suggesting he's some kind of LGBTQ hero here.

But no matter what, I'm insanely thrilled about this development. I think it's fucking great.
    if this isn't acting in a sexist way, i don't know what is

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...creator-police

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    if this isn't acting in a sexist way, i don't know what is

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...creator-police
    Perhaps. Maybe he is a terrible asshole. I don't really know; I only listen to certain songs. That sounds like how Eminem acted when I was a kid.
    But no matter how you slice it, I'm gonna be happy about Famous Rapper Comes Out of Closet.

can you imagine all the people scrambling to like get rid of their OF albums and shit and pretend they never liked it? The thought is hilarious to me.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-15-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    The new Tyler album is fucking excellent.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe , give Igor a listen. I'm 99% sure you'll love it. As for the misogyny on the early albums, well, it was kind of horrorcore. And the use the word "faggo*," well, part of that comes with the territory of the genre, but SOME of it was tyler being uncomfortable with his OWN sexuality, imho. I remember you saying you loved Frank Ocean.Did you know Frank sang on on some of the more offensive Tyler tracks? You also said you liked Earl. In the old days, Earl's lyrics were PRETTY much as rough as Tyler's.

Tyler, Earl, and Frank were SO young when they first started out as Odd Future. They've evolved and grown. Hell, Tyler is becoming a freaking LGBTQ icon in some circles!

I hear Broadcast in this new Tyler project. He said he'd been listening to Broadcast, and, I thought he was full of shit, until I heard the album. The influence is blatant, along with a bit of BoC. I'm even starting to see some bowie in Tyler: the evolution, the gender bending, and more.

Seriously - listen to this.
    Forgive the man for his past, and, enjoy this. Mark my words: this project will be on all the critics' year end lists, and, I expect it will be his most critically acclaimed album Again, I'm almost certain that you'll love it, personally, Eversonpoe.

Last edited by elevenism; 05-24-2019 at 12:57 PM.