Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Boards of Canada

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Boards of Canada

For past few years I have consistently gone back to this legendary enigmatic, reclusive Scottish duo's catalog. Not sure what i like about them so much. I like them more now than ever.
    Think their music does different things for everyone. A lot of people mention Nostalgia, for me not so much....their music evokes a strange feeling but i cant quite put my finger on. Whenever i used to listen to their music images of the vast desolate cold Canadian wilderness sprung to mind.

But now i interpret their sound differently i see it as a lot warmer and more complex. They have about 4 unreleased albums which have been floating about on the web for ages now, material from the early 90s a lot of it is mindblowing too and contains some of their best material. And some bootlegs of their live performances have some stunning unreleased music too. Music has the Right to Children is probably my favorite, Campfire Headphase is the one which is their least interesting to my mind.
    Specific tracks like Aquarius, Roygbiv Olson, Nine Rubber Wisdom, Echus, Iced Cooley, Dayvan Cowboy, Buckie High are some of my favorites .

They said a year ago they are in the process of making a new record, hopefully we will see it this year.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Music Has the Right to Children is one of my favorite records of all time and I discovered Boards of Canada around a time I was just starting college and completely new finding out about all kinds of music from downloading and reading about random acts online.

I believe MHTRTC was in a data disc mix that a friend let me borrow and through my first listen, I was hooked. It's ambiance and attention to detail was so incredible and the music took me to another world. I loved it and still hold it in such incredible regard.

Probably my favorite song by them...hard to pick though.

Their other records are really good too, but MHTRTC is just so amazing. I really, really hope we see another record from them. With Daft Punk and Aphex Twin apparently having records ready for release, this power house duo needs to return as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw some link to an article saying that Boards of Canada are releasing a double LP this year, although there is nothing about it on Warp's website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    I saw some link to an article saying that Boards of Canada are releasing a double LP this year, although there is nothing about it on Warp's website.
    Hmm after further review, it appears to be an April Fool's joke... not funny.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Geogaddi is a fucking trip. It's one of those albums I'll never tire of. Their other albums are great and all, but Geogaddi is just transcendent. I've always felt BoC picked up where The Orb left off with UFOrb, Orbus Terrarum and Pomme Fritz. Geogaddi sounds like the perfect union of those albums IMHO.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Campfire Headphase is wildly underrated.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post

They said a year ago they are in the process of making a new record, hopefully we will see it this year.
    Where/when did they say this, and they being who, and worst of all, was it last April 1st? i have this really strong feeling that we won't be hearing from them again...that MHTRTC, Geogaddi and TCH were a kind of trilogy, with the first one being the young, innocent, hip pot smokiness; the second being a descent into a kind of (possibly hallucinogen induced) madness; and the third being memories of those days. Twoism, ABPOITC, etc, are their own entities.

Strangely enough, The Campfire Headphase is my favorite of the three "big ones." Geogaddi is amazing but also hard to listen to and fairly disturbing. I guess MHTRTC is the one i listen to the most after TCH.

A lot of the noises that BOC use remind me of the sounds heard in those films they used to show us in school about the solar system and such, especially on tracks like Kid for Today.

I can't put my finger on why, i just have this feeling that they were a beautiful, mysterious, elusive force of nature that existed and is over. Luckily, one discovers new sounds and layers nearly every time a BOC record is played.

I hope i'm wrong about BOC being over. i've been surprised before (Portishead 3, Trent's decision to tour again and not have it be some off the wall shit like just him and a piano, the Dallas Mavericks winning a championship.)

I love BOC most of all, i think, because their music somehow softly, and yes, warmly, manages to convey at once an innocence, a celebration of nature, and a mirror of consciousness (yes, i feel that it is THAT deep,) complete with awe, fear, and the simple yet INSANELY complex dichotomy of the very essence of the miracle of human existence.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Come on, guys. Just drop a whole track.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post
    Well i'll be damned. Five days after my sad tirade about how there is no more BOC. Shut me the hell up!
    This HAS to mean new album...it has to.
    lolz, motherfuckers, releasing ONE copy of 20 seconds of music. But that's part of why i love them so much...the mystery men of idm.

They are, without a doubt, my favorite band after NIN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Definitely keep your eye on this thread:

http://2020k.wordpress.com/2013/04/2...l-records-day/

New information/speculation being discussed every hour

As for music by BoC, I'd be posting pretty much their entire catalog, but here are some of my favorites:

Last edited by PQHooligan; 04-22-2013 at 04:33 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Random and cool news. I hope a new album does drop in June.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I cant believe its been 8 years since their last album. 2005 seems like the other week.

This type of activity from BOC means there is a new album on the way. They are always cryptic and weird before revealing their music.
    June date is feesable. Hopefully a new track will be out in a week or two.

I wonder if the 8 year gap was them taking time reinventing themselves. Portishead took 11 years to make Third they really didn't want to sound like they had before. Be interesting to see where they can go with their sound.
    Or it could be just like My Bloody Valentine, take a really long gap and come back with an album that sounds exactly the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i was walking home at 2am the other night and this came on the shuffle, PERFECT track for walking through a bad neighborhood in the middle of the night with drugs on you.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Having always been a barely casual boc listener, I've just decided to throw together a playlist of random tracks of theirs, then halfway through 84 Pontiac Dream came on. This has just changed everything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So four snippets of numbers have been heard so far:

http://pitchfork.com/news/50454-listen-two-more-boards-of-canada-snippets-air-on-bbc-and-npr/

Just stumbled upon this, not sure how I missed it after all this time. From the Japanese release of Campfire Headphase. I always did have a soft spot for their "lighter"(?) stuff..

Last edited by The Reason Being; 04-24-2013 at 06:13 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Hell yeah! look at all the ETS boards of canada fans coming out!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post

Just stumbled upon this, not sure how I missed it after all this time. From the Japanese release of Campfire Headphase. I always did have a soft spot for their "lighter"(?) stuff..
    THANK YOU! i've never heard this one. Holy shit y'all, i can't fucking WAIT for a new BoC album. like a dream come true. like NIN touring again. like how utterly AMAZING HTDA was at Coachella.
    The music gods are smiling on us.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    "everything you do is a balloon" is what got me into them. it's on the soundtrack to the film "morvern callar" (which i was obsessed with in high school) and is used diegetically within the movie to a beautiful effect.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    This guerilla marketing has me crazy excited guys. It's crazy how much a little sample of warbled synth can give you insane goose bumps.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 04-24-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    strange new ad aired on the Cartoon Network today: http://pitchfork.com/news/50506-boar...rtoon-network/

not that there was any doubt that this is leading up to a new release (of some variety), it's still kind of exciting to see the 2013 Warp Records stamp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I still recommend, for anyone who hasn't yet, to check out these 2 sites that update as it happens:

http://2020k.wordpress.com/2013/04/2...l-records-day/

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Record_Store_Day_incident

This has been one of the coolest ARG's around, and my 2nd favorite to Year Zero - tons of excitement!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    strange new ad aired on the Cartoon Network today: http://pitchfork.com/news/50506-boar...rtoon-network/

It's like The Presence all over again!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 04-29-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Can't believe we're finally getting a new BOC album. This year has been ridiculous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    yessssssss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Holy shit, that was one of the coolest reveals ever.

What's the fun in just getting the image from a blog when you can experience it for yourself?

http://cosecha-transmisiones.com/

Spoiler: Enter the six codes without spaces or anything to start the process

Spoiler: 699742 / 628315 / 717228 / 936557 / 813386 / 519225

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Re: Boards of Canada

Vinyl ordered.

Has this year officially been declared "best ever" yet?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    'bout time these guys sent me on another trip (without actual drugs)......